RIM gains U.S. market share, Apple/Motorola lose: IDC

Friday, May 30, 2008
    . NEW YORK (Reuters) - Research in Motion Ltd's BlackBerry increased its share of the U.S. smartphone market in the first quarter while Apple Inc's iPhone lost ground, according to a report from IDC.

According to the report Rim's share of the U.S. market for advanced phones with computer like features such as e-mail rose to 44.5 percent in the first quarter from 35.1 percent in the fourth quarter while iPhone's share fell to 19.2 percent from 26.7 percent in the fourth quarter.

Motorola Inc , the leading phone maker in the U.S., also saw its sales dwindle to 2.6 percent of the market for smartphones from 7.5 percent in the fourth quarter.

Palm Inc share rose to 8.6 percent from 5.1 percent, IDC said.

High Tech Computer Corp's <2498.TW> share fell to 4.1 percent from 7.9 percent in the previous quarter.
    Looks like Apple's wave has crested.
    05-30-08 04:57 PM
    I wouldn't say that just yet. The release of the 3G iPhone should see a rise in apple until the new berries are released.

But yeah, people are quickly realizing iPhones aren't all they were hyped up to be.
    06-01-08 12:38 PM
    Crested? No, I doubt that. The iPhone has been "sold out" in Apple stores, on the website, and through At&t for quite awhile now. This is most likely to clear room for the 3G version rumored to be released this month. You can't sell something and increase your market share when it is sold out everywhere, can you? If RIM has continued to sell over the past 2 months while Apple hasn't sold anything, it is only natural for Apple to lose market share due to the RIM gain.

A true market analysis can't be done until the 2nd gen iPhone drops and/or they are readily available for purchase again. Only time will tell, but I am willing to bet that the 2nd and 3rd quarter reports paint a different picture.
    Last edited by CrazEtooN; 06-01-08 at 12:56 PM.
    06-01-08 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD