"Theres just no way to sugarcoat it: BlackBerrys May quarter was a disaster. The company posted a surprise loss and shed 4 million subscribers despite the availability of both its new BlackBerry 10 flagship phones. BlackBerry shares have plummeted more than 25% since the smartphone makers report on Friday, and analyst downgrades are coming in one after the other. Wall Street may be jumping the gun a bit, however, as a new report from industry insiders suggests BlackBerry 10 sales are set to pick up in the second half of the year."BlackBerry 10 Sales, 2H 2013: Sales seen improving in second half | BGR
    jxnb likes this.
    07-09-13 04:40 PM
    it has to pick up, cant get any lower really lol
    07-09-13 05:40 PM
    Second half of the year should be good. Have to ramp up marketing and get those mid range devices out ASAP.

Posted via CB10
    edu3110 likes this.
    07-09-13 05:41 PM
    I really don't see this as being much different than the battle in the high end. There are a ton of mid range Androids facing the Q5 just as there were high end Androids facing the Q10/Z10. Even low end Androids like the little Galaxy Y, which might be more appealing in developing countries because of the price point.The demand for BBs in developing countries seemed to me to be based more on BBM than on a physical QWERTY.
    07-10-13 11:05 AM
    I wouldn't consider Blackberry's may quarter a bad 1, but it wasn't great. People forget that this is a transitioning company. Besides, wasn't this was 1 of their short term goals?
    dee. likes this.
    07-10-13 11:13 AM
    I wouldn't consider Blackberry's may quarter a bad 1, but it wasn't great. People forget that this is a transitioning company. Besides, wasn't this was 1 of their short term goals?
    Exactly. And again, as I've pointed out elsewhere, Samsung, Apple, and HTC all fell well short of projections for the quarter too.

They've got tons of cash to spend on marketing. Let?s see how they do with it.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    sheailewis1 and edu3110 like this.
    07-10-13 11:15 AM
    It will be much harder to gauge success/failure as BlackBerry is not going to tell investors the subscriber counts anymore. If they finally become profitable for a quarter but are still hemorrhaging customers, and this data isn't known, then is it a success? It will be interesting to see BlackBerry does improve sales over the next few quarters, and if they really start putting an effort into pushing the devices.
    07-10-13 01:10 PM
    they are going to start burning cash. The only reason they didnt this quarter was some tax thing i think. So the next 2 quarters are the ones that will matter even more now. And yes i know we say that every time lol
    JeepBB, NYC10065 and kbz1960 like this.
    07-10-13 01:20 PM
    Will they sell more next quarter... of course. The question is will they sell more BB10 devices than they loose BBOS customers.

The problem is that most device today sell much better at launch than they do months later. Think the Z10 had it's day in the sun, and it got burned.

Will have to see how the Q10 and it's more traditional BB looks fares with consumers and business people... (didn't hear much about how it's launch was going)

Q5 is DOA... unless there is some MAJOR discounting about to take place.

We can hope that the Aristo will post some big numbers. But based on the Z10 launch price it will be $299 or more on a two year contract, effectively killing any chance it will have.

BBRY is treating their new platform like it was something that customers should feel privilege to join. If that is the case they need to do a better job explaining why having a BlackBerry deserves a premium price, because I don't think they know.
    07-10-13 03:18 PM
    This is not correct. The tax received this quarter is an ongoing tax credit for R&D investment paid to BlackBerry by the Government of Canada. As long as BlackBerry continues to invest into R&D as they are, they will continue to receive the credit each quarter.

they are going to start burning cash. The only reason they didnt this quarter was some tax thing i think. So the next 2 quarters are the ones that will matter even more now. And yes i know we say that every time lol
    07-10-13 08:18 PM
    10 million devices under bes by years end is all I want.

That's $1 billion in revenues.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kfh227; 07-11-13 at 11:34 AM.
    07-10-13 09:56 PM
    This is not correct. The tax received this quarter is an ongoing tax credit for R&D investment paid to BlackBerry by the Government of Canada. As long as BlackBerry continues to invest into R&D as they are, they will continue to receive the credit each quarter.
    That is an annual rebate, not quarterly. Cashbur will happen next quarter. Just accept it.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-13 09:57 PM
    10 million devices under bb10 by years end is all I want.

That's $1 billion in revenues.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think that's out of line at all, actually. 2.7M reported for Q1, and I think we could see 4M for each of Q2 and 3, though that could take price cuts.

It would work wonders for the ecosystem.

From the awesome virtual keyboard of my Z10
    07-10-13 10:13 PM
    If we could bring the total user base to 20 million I think the app problem could be solved in large part. The problem is how long will it take to get there....

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 05:40 AM
    I really want BlackBerry to succeed. My stock portfolio desperately wants BlackBerry to succeed. I just don't know how they are going to get people to purchase the phones at this point.

It seemed from the recent AGM that BlackBerry is hoping that most of the companies who are testing the BB10 enterprise will purchase it. That is a mighty big hope. They have a steep hill to climb in getting their phones into consumer's hands.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    07-11-13 08:59 AM
    I hope they get more than 10 million....that is on the low side of the 2013 predictions i think. I was hoping for near 20 million
    07-11-13 09:33 AM
    All we know is that they shipped 2.7 Million devices, and 1 Million of those were to a US supplier, with the speculation being one that supplies Verizon. We don't know how many sold. Their could be 1.7 Million sitting in warehouses or retailer stock rooms. If that is the case then the number "shipped" may drop if people people are sitting on a bunch of inventory. If that shipped number doesn't go up, or drops next report (if they even report it at all), then it will be bad news for BB.
    07-11-13 09:43 AM
    I meant 10 million phones under bes. I think my z10 auto corrected when I didn't want it to.

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 11:36 AM
    pretty sure its a once a year thing. 564 million would be HUGE to get back every quarter
    07-11-13 12:04 PM
    Seasonality (back to school and Christmas) will help them have a better second half, as will having a more complete lineup, more globally available. Whether it goes to where analysts want it to remains an open question, but is likely that BlackBerry 10 sales will be higher in the successful quarters than they were in the first two quarters because of availability, seasonality and different models.
    07-11-13 12:09 PM
    Second half will include back to school/college and Christmas so if BBRY can't hit it out of the park when consumers are looking for new devices then we'll have to figure out what the next excuse from Waterloo can possibly be since the Z10, Q10 and Q5 will all have been launched for full quarters and unless the A10 is delayed, it is supposed to be out sometime this fall as well.

The big question mark will come when the new iPhone is launched along with other new devices.
    07-12-13 08:54 PM
    Second half will include back to school/college and Christmas so if BBRY can't hit it out of the park when consumers are looking for new devices then we'll have to figure out what the next excuse from Waterloo can possibly be since the Z10, Q10 and Q5 will all have been launched for full quarters and unless the A10 is delayed, it is supposed to be out sometime this fall as well.

The big question mark will come when the new iPhone is launched along with other new devices.
    The big question isn't what Apple or Samsung or any other vendor does... the big question is what will BlackBerry do.
    07-13-13 10:21 AM
    I think some of you should think with your head (no not that one down there) instead of your stock positions.
    JeepBB and Admorris like this.
    07-13-13 10:31 AM