Im reading all the new tech releases for this year from various sources on the web.

Blackberry is taking a very calculated approach in device launches this year and I can understand why given their history.

The Z3 in april/may which looks to be the user market maker.

The Q20 mid range BBOS converter in november.

But is that it? Im hoping a single flagship gets released this year. John chen talks about a device "to capture new users" I know a lot of people are thinking Q30 because of the keyboard focused responses he's been putting out but is there anything else we found out or know?

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-05-14 09:28 PM
    I'm wondering the same thing. I'm considering a Z30 because the general consensus seems to be no new touch device this year. But I can't decide if it is a significant enough upgrade from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 09:32 PM
    I'm wondering the same thing. I'm considering a Z30 because the general consensus seems to be no new touch device this year. But I can't decide if it is a significant enough upgrade from my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    My wife has the z30 and I'm jealous of it. I have a z10.

I love the phone, just do a cpu upgrade to the z30 and call it the z31. I'd get the z31 but not the z30. The z30 hardware is already dated.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:44 AM
    John Chen said they are working on a flagship device to win over android and iPhone users back in mwc remember? It's not the q20 or z3. It's either the windermere or Ontario phone....we shall see
    04-06-14 02:39 AM
    John Chen said they are working on a flagship device to win over android and iPhone users back in mwc remember? It's not the q20 or z3. It's either the windermere or Ontario phone....we shall see
    Yeap but the device launch timeline is april/may for Z3 and november for Q20.

Doesn't leave much time for the "flagship" is there?

I really do hope it'll be this year though.

04-06-14 06:22 AM
    I really hope you're right.
    04-06-14 06:40 AM
    I hope you're right. I can't see them winning back any Android or iPhone users with a QWERTY device. I also can't see them winning back users if the device doesn't compete on specs, and they're back in the old loop of trying to convince people that their specs are "all they really need".

For my part if I don't see a high end touch device by the end of the year I'll start exploring other options, if I can get Bell to give me a comparable data package on another device.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    zin12345 likes this.
    04-06-14 09:20 AM
    I hope you're right. I can't see them winning back any Android or iPhone users with a QWERTY device. I also can't see them winning back users if the device doesn't compete on specs, and they're back in the old loop of trying to convince people that their specs are "all they really need".

For my part if I don't see a high end touch device by the end of the year I'll start exploring other options, if I can get Bell to give me a comparable data package on another device.

Actually I think a beautifully designed qwerty keyboard with impressive enough specs makes a better proposition for BlackBerry than a full touch.

But lots of crackberrians and wallstreet doesnt think so. We'll just have to see I guess.

04-06-14 10:46 AM
    Actually I think a beautifully designed qwerty keyboard with impressive enough specs makes a better proposition for BlackBerry than a full touch.

But lots of crackberrians and wallstreet doesnt think so. We'll just have to see I guess.

QWERTY phones are great. But they are an extremely small portion of the smartphone market. BlackBerry already owns the QWERTY market and that hasn't helped the company much has it. They HAVE to release a top of the line all touch device not just for us crackberrians or wall street but for their viability in today's smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    04-06-14 06:33 PM
    I have the Z30 and it's great! I had the Torch2, and upgraded to the Z30, and I'm glad I did. It has a big 5" screen, and it's AMOLED so UT doesn't drain the battery, it has a Paratek antenna, great big virtual keyboard with predictive text and auto-correct, big battery that lasts up to 2 days, the HUB, four speakers, HDMI and USB ports, can edit Word and Excel docs, play iTunes, download Android apps, and has solid build. I am very happy with it.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:53 PM
    QWERTY phones are great. But they are an extremely small portion of the smartphone market. BlackBerry already owns the QWERTY market and that hasn't helped the company much has it. They HAVE to release a top of the line all touch device not just for us crackberrians or wall street but for their viability in today's smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    Spot on. Couldn't have said it better myself.

04-06-14 07:20 PM
    You are right john Chen did say he is trying to make sure the device is ready before the end of the year...thats what he said at mobile world congress...I really hope it's at least a 5.2 inch 1080p 3gb ram quad core at least 16 mp camera flagship with amazing 10.3 release and features with stereo speakers and USB 3.0 and 3200 mAh battery at least
    04-06-14 08:22 PM
    Agreed. If BlackBerry is serious about getting more new users then they will definitely have to have a good flagship all touch phone. They won't get many people switching from other OS if they don't.

I believe John Chen has two strategies. The first is to get all the legacy OS users to upgrade to a BB10 device. I believe this is why he is currently focused on physical keyboard phones since it seems a lot of legacy users have physical keyboards. IMO this is needed to stop the fragmentation between legacy OS and BB10.

I believe the second strategy is to gain new users by creating a good new flagship all touch phone. BlackBerry probably doesn't have the resources to do both at the same time so Chen most likely decided physical keyboards first and then new all touch flagship next.

I have no doubt BlackBerry is planning on a new flagship all touch phone because it will be hard to gain new users if they don't, but the question is will it be released this year or next?
    04-06-14 10:13 PM
    I think 2 devices will be released this year, and if not, at least the 'all-touch beast' will be announced before year's end.

I'm no expert, but it could very well be that BBRY decides to release the Q30 phone Q4, and leave the 'Classic' for Q1 ( if the OS needs some more testing or optimizing for the trackpad ), so that the 'Classic' could be released in the same time slot as the aforementioned Z30 successor, because i don't think it's an easy task to get OS10 to adapt to the trackpad ( again, no expert, just my opinion ).

The best thing though, would be to release both the Classic and the Z30 successor this year, and leaving the Q30 for Q1 imo.
    04-06-14 10:39 PM
    I dont think an all touch BlackBerry will win over the masses just yet. No matter how much marketing they throw at it either.

The key board is a very strong reason a lot of people still use BlackBerries and there for a unique proposition.

Why is there a need to come out with a super high full touch? The masses dont know about BB10 and to them all they see if just another OS which has less readily/easily available apps.

I think a super qwerty is the way to go not a full touch. We already have the Z30 to cover that need.

acovey and anon(5876743) like this.
    04-06-14 11:06 PM
    A refreshed z30 with better specs, resolution, thinner and lighter would be a step fw in terms of sales. If they market it along with the F1 world. Something like a "mercedes f1 edition" full silver etc etc

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 05:49 AM
    I agree.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:30 AM

If they want to continue to stay stagnant or worse yet continue to lose customers. Unless of course the trend away from pkb's makes a drastic turn around from the last X numbers of years.
    04-07-14 12:04 PM
    I dont think an all touch BlackBerry will win over the masses just yet. No matter how much marketing they throw at it either.

The key board is a very strong reason a lot of people still use BlackBerries and there for a unique proposition.

Why is there a need to come out with a super high full touch? The masses dont know about BB10 and to them all they see if just another OS which has less readily/easily available apps.

I think a super qwerty is the way to go not a full touch. We already have the Z30 to cover that need.

I think Chen is on the right track, there is no one way forward here, he'll have to excite his qwerty BBOS fellas and at the same time cannot ignore the touch device trend that can add customers from other platforms, if that is what he REALLY wants, as he said.

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    04-07-14 12:16 PM
    If 10.3 has no leaks for a year and the next Zxx phone has it, there could be encouraged surprises in it to be an Android /iOS competitor again.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 04:09 PM
    just wanted to reply to everyone who thinks putting out the device with the best specs will turn things around for blackberry. HTC in their latest quarter lost 62 million dollar.s If thats a good reason to switch to the best specs and the supposed hottest phone tech out there then absolutely no thanks. I think the best thing mentioned there was the fact they said apple and samsung spent over 300 million in marketing thats the reall difference and since there is no way in hell blackberry could ever do that then they need to find other ways to get their message out Thats why they are hitting up the enterprise market and not the consumer market. Its why you dont see blackberry ads on the back of a bus or a billboard. They simply cant afford to do it. They are making the best of the situation. Trying to come up with devices that will move people over from bb0s7 to bb10 and some new emerging marketts Blackberry z3 is not a flagship device its a decent device that will get the job done and expose people to the new OS thats all it is. Some of these ridiculous comments about blackberry should have the mega screen super battery huge ram mega core device are ludicrous. They need to hit the market they are after. they need great software and then need to be able to make money doing it. Bottom line. So thinking they are going to build a nuclear powered phablet with a gazilla core processor not only is that crazy its just not feasible. Get real people hope for good solid devices with great software thats it.
    ATMJOE and acovey like this.
    04-07-14 07:17 PM
    just wanted to reply to everyone who thinks putting out the device with the best specs will turn things around for blackberry. HTC in their latest quarter lost 62 million dollar.s If thats a good reason to switch to the best specs and the supposed hottest phone tech out there then absolutely no thanks. I think the best thing mentioned there was the fact they said apple and samsung spent over 300 million in marketing thats the reall difference and since there is no way in hell blackberry could ever do that then they need to find other ways to get their message out Thats why they are hitting up the enterprise market and not the consumer market. Its why you dont see blackberry ads on the back of a bus or a billboard. They simply cant afford to do it. They are making the best of the situation. Trying to come up with devices that will move people over from bb0s7 to bb10 and some new emerging marketts Blackberry z3 is not a flagship device its a decent device that will get the job done and expose people to the new OS thats all it is. Some of these ridiculous comments about blackberry should have the mega screen super battery huge ram mega core device are ludicrous. They need to hit the market they are after. they need great software and then need to be able to make money doing it. Bottom line. So thinking they are going to build a nuclear powered phablet with a gazilla core processor not only is that crazy its just not feasible. Get real people hope for good solid devices with great software thats it.
    Nobody is suggesting that a high end touch device with be the thing that returns BlackBerry to its former glory. What we are saying is that without one there is no chance that BlackBerry will ever succeed.

04-07-14 08:13 PM
    Nobody is suggesting that a high end touch device with be the thing that returns BlackBerry to its former glory. What we are saying is that without one there is no chance that BlackBerry will ever succeed.

I think for now a great qwerty flagship phone will help a strong niche. Then followed by a good full touch next year.

Point is the qwerty should come first and I think this is what is happening but I do hope it comes out this year!

04-07-14 09:53 PM
    Well said my friend, very well said. Thank you.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:27 PM
    My guess is they'll release the q20 in early Q2, then Q30 In late Q3, then Z50 on BB10 second year anniversary

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:29 PM
61 123