The Blackphone: Consumer-Grade Privacy that's Inadequate for Businesses | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

Was waiting to see if they'd say anything about it. Glad they did, finally. Though I have to say, their take on it is interesting. The Blackphone is targeted for consumers so saying it's consumer grade privacy is well, a bit of stating the obvious. BlackBerry is focused on Enterprise so it's not even in the same league.
    07-11-14 11:54 AM
    What is blackphone , I don't remember ever seeing anything on it,
    07-11-14 12:17 PM
    I'm glad BlackBerry is becoming more engaged with the media - it's refreshing to witness, even though the fact check blog could be a little more robust (don't say you're better without explaining why!!! Lol)

That said, BlackBerry could do well by offering security consumers could use. The dev portal has a whole mess of open requests for blackberry to allow openvpn to be used on their platform. BES isn't exactly consumer facing. Etc.

When I think of a stable platform BlackBerry is what comes to mind. But with some tinkering, root, some rom and mods installed, android can be made very private. Being able to use encryption protocols easily available to consumers is a good move.

That Blackphone has some value in that you're paying silent circle for their services. And no, it's not for wide scale deployment across a company (unless you're talking about small scale) but it is good for a consumer.

Consumers are not buying bb10. Maybe offering them a real alternative might help?

I really hope that passport comes with these features. But then I am not holding my breath..

Sent using tapatalk!
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-11-14 12:41 PM
    What is blackphone , I don't remember ever seeing anything on it,

Blackphone aims to be the world's most secure phone | CrackBerry.com
    anon721037 likes this.
    07-11-14 12:53 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the article incorrect in stating that BlackBerry Balance comes standard on all BB10 devices? As a small business owner I hoped to utilize Balance when I got BB10 but was disappointed to realize that it must be an Enterprise activated device.

Good article otherwise though, it is really refreshing to see BlackBerry publicly defending itself, this should lead to more free publicity and help continue generating investor confidence.

BB for Life
    07-11-14 01:04 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the article incorrect in stating that BlackBerry Balance comes standard on all BB10 devices? As a small business owner I hoped to utilize Balance when I got BB10 but was disappointed to realize that it must be an Enterprise activated device.

Good article otherwise though, it is really refreshing to see BlackBerry publicly defending itself, this should lead to more free publicity and help continue generating investor confidence.

BB for Life
    Depends on your definition of 'standard' I suppose. It comes on every BB10 device but isn't activated unless you have a BES or BES Cloud.
    07-11-14 01:09 PM

BB for Life
    I think it is built into BB10 but only activates with Enterprise services. I understand your annoyance/frustration but I don't think the advertising is innacurate.
    07-11-14 01:10 PM
    Depends on your definition of 'standard' I suppose. It comes on every BB10 device but isn't activated unless you have a BES or BES Cloud.
    Nooooo...."standard" means something very definite.

So does "bait and switch."

If blackberry is marketing their BlackBerry Balance without an asterisk that says "Balance included only with BES10 deployment" .....then they're just engaging is dodgy sales tactics.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    07-12-14 03:05 AM
    The Blackphone: Consumer-Grade Privacy that's Inadequate for Businesses | | Inside BlackBerry for Business Blog

Was waiting to see if they'd say anything about it. Glad they did, finally. Though I have to say, their take on it is interesting. The Blackphone is targeted for consumers so saying it's consumer grade privacy is well, a bit of stating the obvious. BlackBerry is focused on Enterprise so it's not even in the same league.
    Well, to be honest, I did see an article about how much the Blackphone will appeal to the enterprise!!

What would it take BlackBerry to make phone calls secure?

Posted via CB10
    07-12-14 05:34 AM
    LOL. While different, I do remember a BlueBerry smartphone about 5 years ago(?). I'll stick with my BlackBerries.

Posted from my sexy Q10!
    anon721037 likes this.
    07-12-14 10:55 PM
    The real question is this: for a consumer with no BES, is a black phone more secure than a Blackberry 10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 08:11 AM
    The real question is this: for a consumer with no BES, is a black phone more secure than a Blackberry 10 phone?

Posted via CB10
    The question is privacy, not security.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:03 PM
    Just a noob question. If consumers can't get balance as a built-in service with out BES how about starting a global BES. The idea is that someone starts BES cloud somewhere in the world and other people pay to join the BES? Essentially a global network of secure BES services for consumers? Subscription based BES. Of course you have to trust the administration then. Unless there are limitations that I don't know of. I have never used a corporate BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 03:47 PM
    Just a noob question. If consumers can't get balance as a built-in service with out BES how about starting a global BES. The idea is that someone starts BES cloud somewhere in the world and other people pay to join the BES? Essentially a global network of secure BES services for consumers? Subscription based BES. Of course you have to trust the administration then. Unless there are limitations that I don't know of. I have never used a corporate BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    For what purpose? Think of BES as an administrator who knows better than you. You want a stranger locking down your phone?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 08:29 PM
    For what purpose? Think of BES as an administrator who knows better than you. You want a stranger locking down your phone?

Posted via CB10
    Well said!

Swordsmanship & Western Martial Arts Channel C000C9AF6
    09-02-14 08:31 PM
    Nooooo...."standard" means something very definite.

So does "bait and switch."

If blackberry is marketing their BlackBerry Balance without an asterisk that says "Balance included only with BES10 deployment" .....then they're just engaging is dodgy sales tactics.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    Please show a single advertisement where BlackBerry stated that..
    Pretty sure you won't find one...

Eazzy Peazzy
    09-02-14 08:35 PM
    Please show a single advertisement where BlackBerry stated that..
    Pretty sure you won't find one...also, consumer BES is available very soon through resellers, for those that want it.

Eazzy Peazzy

Eazzy Peazzy
    09-02-14 08:39 PM
    The question is privacy, not security.

Posted via CB10
    You can't have privacy without security.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.3247
    09-02-14 08:46 PM

Posted via CB10
    They have hosted bes emails. Just do a search and will find one
    09-02-14 09:08 PM
    Hosted bes email sounds great. Thanks for the tip. Also I would rather have secure communication over bes rather than bis. I heard in india they let government snoop on bis. Bes seems to be the only secure solution. Bes has voice encryption btw? As for locking device I guess a deal can be made

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 11:22 PM
    Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 11:50 PM
    The comments were hateful so I added a softer one.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 12:15 AM