On bb, you don't need BIS to send mms

Posted via CB10
    Nobody said it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-06-13 01:50 AM
    Nobody said it was.

However this comment of yours implies that with BIS down, Blackberry users can't use SMS/MMS:

I can still use email and regular text with iMessage down.

The email distinction is correct, the text distinction is not correct.
    07-06-13 08:38 PM
    However this comment of yours implies that with BIS down, Blackberry users can't use SMS/MMS:

You do understand I was differentiating BBM fom iMessage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD for iPad
    07-06-13 09:55 PM

SMS yes. But last I saw concerning MMS, pretty much every carrier now requires data to send MMS messages (though the billing per message doesn't get applied to your data consumption). If your data plan is routed through BIS, and BIS goes down, MMS doesn't go through without changing the device's service books.

As for SMS, as long as you have your BBM contacts phone numbers, SMS is a usable option if all you need so is send short text. For those who have a ton of contacts' PIN/ID/email-address, but no phone number, they're kinda hosed.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    07-06-13 09:57 PM
    When I said text I meant sms & mms. Aren't those both essentially the same, over the phone portion of the cellular network instead of data? Will imessage work over wifi only?
    iMessage uses data when it can (wifi or cellular), and then SMS/MMS only when that's the only available option. The user experience is the same, except the messages routed over SMS are green instead of blue. When the iMessage servers are down, messages go green and over SMS. If you send an iMessage to an android user, it goes over SMS obviously.

iMessage itself is a free service that's comes with terms that clearly state no guarantee of delivery. BIS services, on the other hand, are not free. Subscribers pay monthly for blackberry services and so it is a bigger issue when a paid service is not available, but you still have to pay for it on your bill.
    07-06-13 10:17 PM
    iMessage itself is a free service that's comes with terms that clearly state no guarantee of delivery. BIS services, on the other hand, are not free. Subscribers pay monthly for blackberry services and so it is a bigger issue when a paid service is not available, but you still have to pay for it on your bill.

I realize that BIS is a billing line-item in some countries - especially countries that don't bundle service contracts and subsidized phones (India, etc), but in the USA I've never heard of a carrier billing separately for BIS.

However if you use BES, or what carriers abstractly refer to here as "enterprise email", they historically charged extra for that. (I don't think this is the case any longer with BES10 and BB10 devices)

The fact that iMessage can work over either data or SMS links is a nice feature.
    07-06-13 10:56 PM
    Can I point out the flaw in iMessages: if the other person is in a different country and there's a problem with iMessage it will route it trough sms, which means international sms. That's quite expensive, double or triple it in case of mms.
    07-07-13 04:04 AM
    So BIS is becoming more and more of a liability than benefit.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-13 10:13 AM
33 12