Surprised this wasn't posted here.
    Someone did ask yesterday what was up in Indonesia, but no one knew or replied.

BlackBerry Faces Sanctions in Indonesia After Outage - Bloomberg

-----------------------------
    The Indonesian government is preparing sanctions against BlackBerry (BBRY) after an outage yesterday left Indonesians without access to some messaging services from the Canadian smartphone maker.
    The sanctions are pending BlackBerry�s report into the disruption and the government will also consult the nation�s telecommunication regulatory board to see whether the incident violated local rules, said Gatot Dewa Broto, a spokesman for the Communication and Information Technology Ministry. It�s the fourth outage for BlackBerry since April 2012, he said.
    �We don�t want to be seen as allowing this to keep happening again,� Broto said by telephone today. �We are preparing sanctions,� he said, declining to elaborate what these may be.
    Yesterday�s outage, which affected the popular instant-messaging application BlackBerry Messenger, may hinder the company�s efforts to sustain its market share in the world�s fourth-most populous nation. BlackBerry has about 6.3 million subscribers in Indonesia, up from 6 million in 2012 and 5 million in 2011, Broto said.
    Still, BlackBerry probably won�t reach the ministry�s forecast of 7 million subscribers this year amid tighter competition from Google Inc.�s Android-powered smartphones, he said.
    The service interruption primarily affected Web browsing, social networking and BlackBerry Messenger, Matt Stewart, a spokesman for the Waterloo, Ontario-based company, said today. He declined to confirm the ministry�s figures for Indonesian subscribers.
    --------------------------

Yet more good news for the troops in Waterloo
    07-05-13 11:27 AM
    That sucks for BlackBerry. That said, I'm surprised that the government would get involved in this and fine BlackBerry. I don't think BlackBerry provides an SLA for its service, so under what basis is this being done?
    07-05-13 12:49 PM
    Ever been to Indonesia?
    07-05-13 01:01 PM
    Was about to post about this and found your post.

It's kind of amazing to me that they are still suffering from these big BIS outages, in places where BIS is very widely used.

Though someone should do a historical comparison of service outages (including length, how many people affected, how many services affected) between BIS/BBM and Apple online services. (ie Facetime, iMessage, iCloud, etc.)

It is my general impression that Apple over the last 3-5 years has had as many or more outages than Blackberry has had, and probably affecting far more people, yet they don't seem to get anywhere near the kind of bad press for them that Blackberry gets from these things.
    07-05-13 04:30 PM
    This was mentioned yesterday, I think. There was a thread about it. Bis devices were the only ones affected.

http://forums.crackberry.com/service...region-824953/
    07-05-13 04:32 PM
    Thanks! Didn't see it..
    07-05-13 04:33 PM
    Was about to post about this and found your post.

It's kind of amazing to me that they are still suffering from these big BIS outages, in places where BIS is very widely used.

Though someone should do a historical comparison of service outages (including length, how many people affected, how many services affected) between BIS/BBM and Apple online services. (ie Facetime, iMessage, iCloud, etc.)

It is my general impression that Apple over the last 3-5 years has had as many or more outages than Blackberry has had, and probably affecting far more people, yet they don't seem to get anywhere near the kind of bad press for them that Blackberry gets from these things.
    The impact of a BIS outage is greater than the impact of an iMessage outage. I can still use email and regular text with iMessage down. As a matter of fact, it's so seamless that you barely know about it.

With a BIS outage the whole communication infrastructure may be affected, such as happened in October 2011.
    07-05-13 04:34 PM
    The numbers also suggest that Indonesia accounts for close to 10% of worldwide bbos users?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-13 04:38 PM
    Indonesia is always imposing sanctions, they've done it before. Not the first time, likely not the last.
    07-05-13 04:41 PM
    Indonesia is always imposing sanctions, they've done it before. Not the first time, likely not the last.
    Nonetheless, bad press not needed especially at this moment of time after the earning calls and such.

inbeforeBGRreportsit.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 04:47 PM
    Nonetheless, bad press not needed especially at this moment of time after the earning calls and such.

inbeforeBGRreportsit.

Posted via CB10
    Lol.. bad press has been going on for like..... 4 yrs now. This is minimal in comparison ha! It's the equivalent of "Just another day in Waterloo'
    Bilaal, irweezyy and howarmat like this.
    07-05-13 04:54 PM
    Lol.. bad press has been going on for like..... 4 yrs now. This is minimal in comparison ha! It's the equivalent of "Just another day in Waterloo'
    Lol I like how you put things into perspective. Just shrug it off, yeah!

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 05:00 PM
    Great. Pay the sanctions and find a way to pass the cost on to the Indonesian consumer.
    07-05-13 05:04 PM
    The impact of a BIS outage is greater than the impact of an iMessage outage. I can still use email and regular text with iMessage down. As a matter of fact, it's so seamless that you barely know about it.

With a BIS outage the whole communication infrastructure may be affected, such as happened in October 2011.
    Texts don't go through BIS, a BIS outage should not affect texting

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    07-05-13 05:09 PM
    That's right. A BIS outage does not affect texting. Texts go over the phone part of the cellular network, not over the data part.
    07-05-13 05:20 PM
    That sucks for BlackBerry. That said, I'm surprised that the government would get involved in this and fine BlackBerry. I don't think BlackBerry provides an SLA for its service, so under what basis is this being done?
    Under "because we can" clause. BlackBerry is sucking because it can, and the government is punishing it because it can. All in all, seems like 2 wrongs are neutralizing each other.
    07-05-13 05:26 PM
    Texts don't go through BIS, a BIS outage should not affect texting

Posted via CB10
    It would affect BBM.

I'm comparing different outages and their effects to the whole of communications in both devices.

An iMessage outage is routed to text. A BIS outage may impact the whole of the data messaging rendering a BB crippled as far as data. BBM would not route to text on the manner iMessage does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-05-13 06:08 PM
    That's right. A BIS outage does not affect texting. Texts go over the phone part of the cellular network, not over the data part.
    A BIS outage affects BBM. BBM does not reroute to text .

An iMessage outage routes to text and leaves the rest of the device intact. No impact to other data relates services .

Unlike BlackBerry on BBOS.

reeneebob likes this.
    07-05-13 06:13 PM
    ... An iMessage outage routes to text ...
    Perhaps because imessage is just text? Or is it data when data is available, text when data is not available?
    07-05-13 06:16 PM
    Perhaps because imessage is just text? Or is it data when data is available, text when data is not available?
    no i can send pics on it
    07-05-13 06:33 PM
    no i can send pics on it
    When I said text I meant sms & mms. Aren't those both essentially the same, over the phone portion of the cellular network instead of data? Will imessage work over wifi only?
    07-05-13 06:36 PM
    When I said text I meant sms & mms. Aren't those both essentially the same, over the phone portion of the cellular network instead of data?
    ah sorry yes
    at drive thru
    sorry

Yes the very thing that is useful about BlaxkBwrry is its weak point. It's single point of daure. By going through the NOC BlackBeey sets itself up for failure with BBOS

On BB10 that single point of failure is gone and a failure at the NOC doesn't not affect the while device only BBM.

Sorry I'm obtuse I'm out and about.
    07-05-13 06:40 PM
    It would affect BBM.

I'm comparing different outages and their effects to the whole of communications in both devices.

An iMessage outage is routed to text. A BIS outage may impact the whole of the data messaging rendering a BB crippled as far as data. BBM would not route to text on the manner iMessage does.

You said "the whole communication infrastructure" not just bbm or data services, that's the only reason i said that lol, but you are correct, a bbm will not send as text when there is no data connection.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:19 PM
    When I said text I meant sms & mms. Aren't those both essentially the same, over the phone portion of the cellular network instead of data? Will imessage work over wifi only?
    On bb, you don't need BIS to send mms

Posted via CB10
    07-05-13 09:21 PM
    You said "the whole communication infrastructure" not just bbm or data services, that's the only reason i said that lol, but you are correct, a bbm will not send as text when there is no data connection.

Posted via CB10
    This is what I said

07-06-13 01:45 AM
33 12