There are ~80 million of us BlackBerry users in the world. There are ~130 million iPhone users.
    Did I wake up in 2009 this morning? LOL.

In August 2013, the iPhone has about 400M phones in use, plus almost 200M iPads and iPod Touches.

Android has >900M active devices, and is activating 1.5M new ones every day. These are JUST Google-certified devices, as only Play Store registrations are counted.

WP has around 12M phones if I remember correctly, plus another 2M tablets, and that's not counting Win8 desktops.

BB10 has 4-5M active devices. BB has around 70M total users, but the 65M legacy BBOS users are irrelevant to this conversation, as they can't run modern apps.

Looking at those numbers, it's not difficult to see why devs mostly focus on Android and iOS (>90% of the market when combined), and if they pick a 3rd ecosystem, they pick Windows.
    08-20-13 11:13 AM
    First... BB has 72 million users. And a very small percentage of that are BB10 users. BB10 might be around 10 million right now (no numbers available).

Second... The number of iPhone users is a lot more than 130mil. Easily 2 times more.
    About 3 million BB10 users and that number is still tiny compared to android, iphone and even WP users. If BB wants to get top apps they have to send out engineers and fund the companies basically making sure they do not have to invest anything in the platform.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    08-20-13 11:45 AM
    About 3 million BB10 users and that number is still tiny compared to android, iphone and even WP users. If BB wants to get top apps they have to send out engineers and fund the companies basically making sure they do not have to invest anything in the platform.
    I'd be generous enough to guess closer to 10 million BB10 users, based upon just under 1 million per month average adoption, and allowing for a minor acceleration.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    08-20-13 12:48 PM
    Did I wake up in 2009 this morning? LOL.

In August 2013, the iPhone has about 400M phones in use, plus almost 200M iPads and iPod Touches.

Android has >900M active devices, and is activating 1.5M new ones every day. These are JUST Google-certified devices, as only Play Store registrations are counted.

WP has around 12M phones if I remember correctly, plus another 2M tablets, and that's not counting Win8 desktops.

BB10 has 4-5M active devices. BB has around 70M total users, but the 65M legacy BBOS users are irrelevant to this conversation, as they can't run modern apps.

Looking at those numbers, it's not difficult to see why devs mostly focus on Android and iOS (>90% of the market when combined), and if they pick a 3rd ecosystem, they pick Windows.
    I think BlackBerry banked on converting over the base. We all know how that turned out. BlackBerry has never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity, they have an uncanny knack for it. I believe that they recently have recognized this and have tried to do the trade in upgrade but again not aggressively enough. It all comes back to dollars and cents and whether they can afford to. Can they afford not to? They need to put aside profit margin and convert if it's not already too late. The Q5 is the latest example, price this thing at cost or even a loss to make it an offer you can't refuse and not just in the so called emerging markets, everywhere!

Posted via CB10
    08-20-13 02:03 PM
    I'd be generous enough to guess closer to 10 million BB10 users, based upon just under 1 million per month average adoption, and allowing for a minor acceleration.
    They only SHIPPED 3.7M phones total in the last 2 Qs, and are estimated to ship 2M this Q. That's a total of 5.7M shipped. No figures for sell-through have been given for BB10, but sell-through for BBOS7 was around 65-70%. How exactly would they have 10M BB10 users? That's no where near possible.
    08-20-13 04:22 PM
    They only SHIPPED 3.7M phones total in the last 2 Qs, and are estimated to ship 2M this Q. That's a total of 5.7M shipped. No figures for sell-through have been given for BB10, but sell-through for BBOS7 was around 65-70%. How exactly would they have 10M BB10 users? That's no where near possible.
    I could very well be wrong. But I seem to recall looking at the last two quarters unit sales (not shipped), and the combined average unit sales was just below 1 million per month (after two quarters, with Q2 improving over Q1). With an increase monthly sales from Q1 to Q2.

It's not outside the realm of possibilities that Q3 can show 10 million total BB10 devices sold. Granted, it would still be a miserable number. But it's highly likely.

08-20-13 06:19 PM
    BB shipped 1M BB10 devices during fiscal Q4, and then 2.7M during Q1. Q2's current estimate, according to Misek, is 2M (recall that BB's own estimate was for lower sales in Q2, but they estimated around 2.5M. That was before the recent announcement, though).

That means:

1st sales Q: 1M/month (Z10 was only out for one month of the Q)
    2nd Q: 0.9M/month
    3rd Q: 0.66M/month

Even if you assume the optimistic 2.5M shipped this Q, you're still looking at total shipments of 6.2M. And we're still not talking about SOLD devices, just shipped devices. 10M is pure fantasy.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-20-13 07:44 PM
    Marty has his head in the sand

"BlackBerry Explains Why Key Apps Are Still Missing From BB10" - Article-images-2-.jpg

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    08-20-13 09:19 PM
    There are ~80 million of us BlackBerry users in the world. There are ~130 million iPhone users.
    Good Lord...... In the past 4 quarters Apple sold more than 140 million iPhones. Simple logic says there's got to be a helluva lot more than 130 million people using iPhones. Perhaps you're confusing how many they sold in the past year with how many iPhone users there are. Or perhaps you're comparing the number of Blackberry users in the world with the number of iPhone users in the USA. I don't know.
    08-21-13 11:25 AM

3 million is not a guess it's the actual number based on BB's quarterly results. Just because the company might be producing 1 million phones a month does not mean all of them are sold. Most are probably stockpiled in warehouses waiting to be shipped to carrier and retail partners(so not in hands of actual consumers).
    08-21-13 02:30 PM
35 12