I know our mix feelings towards seeking alpha but:

Is BlackBerry Finally Exiting Hardware? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

He makes some good points.

DTEK is already being discounted and so are all the accessories.

What do you guys think?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-13-16 11:47 AM
    Seeking Alpha
    No, thank you.
    Sairos, CDM76 and david7saad like this.
    09-13-16 11:59 AM
    I normally take anything Seeking alpha says with a huge Grain of salt, i do find it odd that there has been no leaks or details of a device supposedly coming in October. We are already mid September so usually things leak out by now.

09-13-16 01:09 PM
    I normally take anything Seeking alpha says with a huge Grain of salt, i do find it odd that there has been no leaks or details of a device supposedly coming in October. We are already mid September so usually things leak out by now.

My thoughts too.

If blackberry was going to launch another device, it wouldn't make sense to do it any later.

Even now it's very late, the priv was launched in November, can anyone remember when it was announced?

09-13-16 02:54 PM
    If I recall I believe it was around time last year (September 2015) where BlackBerry officially announced the BlackBerry Priv.

During the Q2 conference call I recall hearing John Chen say that the device was "leaking everywhere" and they announced a few days later that BlackBerry was going to have an Android device.

I think the plan was to try and keep it under wraps for a few more weeks but it wasn't happening.

We all hope that more devices are in the works but I am sure that the keyboard device is in the new year. I see the cost to produce the devices under the new license agreement being low.

Wither a new Android device is coming in October, remains to be seen but I don't think they are exiting hardware until they at least see the results from the keyboard version.

Posted via CB10
    09-13-16 04:27 PM
    ... they exited with the DTEK, which is hardware made by someone else.

And they have zero inclination to say anything more about the so-called Android PKBs.

So there you have it folks ... BB is now all about 99 cent Hub subscriptions on Android. Enjoy lol
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-13-16 07:55 PM
    Maybe they are putting their watchdox acquisition to good use and using drm on all their files so nothing leaks. You know what? Maybe that is what drove them to see the value in purchasing watchdox in the first place. John does hate when things leak.

09-13-16 09:09 PM
    Maybe they are putting their watchdox acquisition to good use and using drm on all their files so nothing leaks. You know what? Maybe that is what drove them to see the value in purchasing watchdox in the first place. John does hate when things leak.

Hard to contain a leak when you have to show carrier's and retailers your upcoming devcies months in advance. Hard to contain a leak when 3rd parties are involved in the design and manufacture of your products. Hard to contain a leak when so many eyes are watching and waiting for you to finiall announce that you are in fact getting out of hardware. Hard to contain a leak when there are hundreds of people involved in the design, manufacture, testing and selling of a commercial product.

With BB10 the leaks ended when he fired all but a couple of part time engineers.
    techvisor and CDM76 like this.
    09-14-16 02:46 PM

October?

BlackBerry said that the keyboard device will be available early next year.
    09-14-16 03:09 PM
    Blah blah blah.. always the same. They have been saying that for some time now. Lets let BlackBerry determine when and if they exit hardware. I personally don't want them to but I am not John Chen.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    09-14-16 03:14 PM
    October?

BlackBerry said that the keyboard device will be available early next year.
    They said 2 more devices planned for this year so i was under the impression 2 besides the keyboard next year.

09-14-16 10:20 PM
    They said 2 more devices planned for this year so i was under the impression 2 besides the keyboard next year.

No. They said two devices - DTEK50 and pkb device.
    09-14-16 10:35 PM
    Thorsten Heins just said that the Z10 and Q10 will be releasing soon. So nah, I doubt BlackBerry is exiting hardware.

09-15-16 12:38 AM

That's about right! The device are/were PLANNED, which does not at all mean that they are coming to the market, eh?

I support BlackBerry for a decade, I'm not one of these pessimists around here but I'm a guy who knows a little bit about business.

BlackBerry is going to annouce the fiscal result on 28th. There is a 40% price reduction on Accessoires (ShopBlackBerry isn't really known for its discounts...)

I really really hope there isn't a connection between these two things, but it's hardly a coincidence...

Maybe they are close to their planned hardware break even and just need a few more bucks 'cause they themselves don't want to exit the hardware business.

I already ordered a travel charger and a Dtek50 case, don't really need these things, but wanted to support BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    09-15-16 01:22 AM
    That's about right! The device are/were PLANNED, which does not at all mean that they are coming to the market, eh?

I support BlackBerry for a decade, I'm not one of these pessimists around here but I'm a guy who knows a little bit about business.

BlackBerry is going to annouce the fiscal result on 28th. There is a 40% price reduction on Accessoires (ShopBlackBerry isn't really known for its discounts...)

I really really hope there isn't a connection between these two things, but it's hardly a coincidence...

Maybe they are close to their planned hardware break even and just need a few more bucks 'cause they themselves don't want to exit the hardware business.

I already ordered a travel charger and a Dtek50 case, don't really need these things, but wanted to support BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    Accessoires are discounted.. but none of the devices are?! Why does that imply they're getting out of HW? And why can't they release another TCL device, without having inventory risk?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 04:50 AM
    Accessoires are discounted.. but none of the devices are?! Why does that imply they're getting out of HW? And why can't they release another TCL device, without having inventory risk?

Posted via CB10
    A tcl device? Like the DTEK50? Well that was just launched.

The rumored mercury would be manufactured by Winston or foxconn that's for sure because no other brand should be allow to sell blackberry esque PKB devices.

09-15-16 06:52 AM
    09-15-16 07:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Those few more bucks from sales right now wouldn't even count toward the last quarter's earnings anyways so i doubt it's a sale to help break even.

09-15-16 08:21 AM
    I know our mix feelings towards seeking alpha but:

Is BlackBerry Finally Exiting Hardware? - BlackBerry Ltd. (NASDAQ:BBRY) | Seeking Alpha

He makes some good points.

DTEK is already being discounted and so are all the accessories.

What do you guys think?

Makes sense, yes. Hence the return of BlackBerry to Korea for a few weeks only.

All the sense

Posted via CB10
    _dimi_ likes this.
    09-15-16 08:55 AM
    Makes sense, yes. Hence the return of BlackBerry to Korea for a few weeks only.

All the sense

Posted via CB10
    When a decision to shut down happens, it always happen very suddenly.

One day everything is normal, next day everyone gets cut or a division shuts down.

09-15-16 12:40 PM
    When a decision to shut down happens, it always happen very suddenly.

One day everything is normal, next day everyone gets cut or a division shuts down.

Like the people claiming BlackBerry will ditch HW.. they appear weeks before ER in these threads and sound very convincing, but the day after nowhere to be found.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 01:32 PM
    A tcl device? Like the DTEK50? Well that was just launched.

The rumored mercury would be manufactured by Winston or foxconn that's for sure because no other brand should be allow to sell blackberry esque PKB devices.

If the ROME is built, it will probably be a Winston built device. The Foxconn relationship ended, which was evident when someone else built the LEAP, when Foxconn had done the original Z3.
    09-15-16 02:03 PM
    If the ROME is built, it will probably be a Winston built device. The Foxconn relationship ended, which was evident when someone else built the LEAP, when Foxconn had done the original Z3.
    Foxconn made the Classic too.
    09-15-16 02:43 PM
    Foxconn made the Classic too.
    Yes but the Classic had been announce before the Z3 even went on sale, so Foxconn was under contract to deliver..... I think it was the Z3 poor sales performance that caused Foxconn to want changes made to their contract for future phones. It was easier for BlackBerry to find someone else to work with.

I also wonder about this supposed lack of components to build the Classic... when the LEAP is basically the same internals and no such announcement has been made. Not that I think any BB10 phone is really in production anymore... Heck Chen made that announcement six months ago at the 2016 4th quarter earnings report, and they still have inventory for the Classic now.

But that's all just speculation.... What isn't speculation is Chen said their partnership had come to an end.
    09-15-16 03:25 PM

From what I understand from the BlackBerry earnings calls in recent quarters, the Foxconn relationship is still alive.

It was a 5 year agreement to have BlackBerry design some of the hardware and then have Foxconn make it using its global reach in order to get costs down etc.

Recently John Chen said that the agreements they were able to get with the maker of the DTEK and a few others was very similar to what Foxconn was offering, if not slightly better. With the DTEK50, it's just a rebranded device where with Foxconn, it was more proprietary BlackBerry designs.

In either event the cost to make a BlackBerry phone has come down significantly in order for them to attempt to stay in the game. The upcoming physical keyboard success will be the official final device if it doesn't sell. Sooner or later you will have to cut your losses but every quarter they have reduced the loss with the expectation that by Q3 (end of November 2016) being break even or small profit.

See what happens in the next 2 weeks I guess. Good luck BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 03:30 PM
46 12