Yet such an aquisition put Apple where they are now...
    Tell me what acquisition. The purchase of Next?? There was a foresight and most importantly a plan with that ,the strategic alliance with Microsoft boosted that plan.

Apple also built the most important component HUMAN RESOURCES. Preparing for the next phase of their development. Chen is grabbing at straws and hoping for the best. That's not strategic nor genius. He has stripped BlackBerry of the most important component the TALENT .

Tell me why hire a device sales team when you manufacture NOTHING. BlackBerry would have been better off hiring a PR firm than hiring Chen.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 07:49 AM
    Well this is a fan site after all. This is not a software / MDM fan site. Folks here are interested in phones and in particular the fate of and hopes for the phones they like. If BlackBerry should leave the phone business then this site should close or morph into something like Ralph's 9900 resurgence thread.

Posted via CB10
    No it won't close, no one wants to see that. Bla1ze said it will stay in that case. Lots of people will still be fans and use the phones even after that.

Its a fan site but a true fan sticks with the company, not its products. Screw the fate and hopes of the phones they like. What is this, a Drama/Love story?. Only one thing matters: The company, BlackBerry.

Are we sad for everything that happened? Yes, devastated even but I don't care if they sell cars as long as they're out there. Anyone with brains follows the same principle.

Its like nations, people may die for it if that's what it takes for the nation to survive. Phones should die for the company to survive, period.
    10-06-16 09:12 AM
    Louks was succeeded by Ralph Pini, not Thurber (he's VP of device sales).

BlackBerry Names Ralph Pini to Replace Ron Louks as Head of Devices - WSJ

I think Louks was primarily overseeing BlackBerry's Android efforts, I'm sure Chen must have had some input into devices but I doubt he was micromanaging the division or relegating head of devices to a symbolic position.

Edit: Some insight into their roles,

https://www.cnet.com/news/inside-bla...-with-android/
    Chen still discussed and talked phones extensively. Still unveiled them. They weren't reported separately. There was no mobility solutions division. Chen still talked about them while now he says all questions goes to Thurber. This is clearly a big shift back then when it was with Louke. Thurber did the DTEK50's unveiling, Chen wasn't even there. I'm aware that Pini replaced louke. and he is still there, Thurber didn't take his job.

Louks was there since Jan/14. He oversees both BB10 offerings & android, up until the Priv. Got laid off after the Priv didn't sell much.

Chen was never going to be the head of devices he barely knows s***. There was going to be always someone responsible about it. But that's entirely different from separating it and reporting its earnings independently with someone else heading that unit and unveiling the phones.
    Invictus0 likes this.
    10-06-16 09:19 AM
    Notice he mentions in reference to BlackBerry 10 that

�I wouldn�t be surprised to see the software in another device,� he says. �But I couldn�t tell you when or where.�

This is why people believe BlackBerry 10 could come back this is straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

They really do send so many mixed signals.

Posted via CB10
    "Another device" does not necessarily mean a mobile phone. I can see it being adapted for a lot of IoT applications, especially with its enhanced security.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 09:35 AM
    Tell me what acquisition. The purchase of Next?? There was a foresight and most importantly a plan with that ,the strategic alliance with Microsoft boosted that plan.

Apple also built the most important component HUMAN RESOURCES. Preparing for the next phase of their development. Chen is grabbing at straws and hoping for the best. That's not strategic nor genius. He has stripped BlackBerry of the most important component the TALENT .

Tell me why hire a device sales team when you manufacture NOTHING. BlackBerry would have been better off hiring a PR firm than hiring Chen.

Posted via CB10
    How do you know these who are gone were the top talent?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-06-16 09:41 AM
    I guess you misunderstood. I said the same. Priv was doomed with that marketing. He should have shut down the hardware or outsource it (whatever) after the passport. It is practically impossible to gain ground without marketing your device. I said nothing about BB10.

Well visionary people attract or find visionary employees. I don't expect someone to be Jobs or Musk. But BlackBerry deserved a name like those. Too bad they didn't.

By the way, have you seen the interview about pkb coming in 6 months? Great comprehension skills. .
    I did misundestand
    You're right.

I disagree a bit about attracting the visonary, Blackberry lost the ability to attract those kind of talent well before Chen.
    When they did have those sort of talent, they stifled them until the talent left. It's a real shame, they had some great talented people under their banner at one point.

Not seen that interview yet :P
    10-06-16 09:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    Yep the purchase of NeXt finally gave them a competent Operating System for Macs, but more importantly, and probably more out of luck then foresight, led to iOS being born

I highly doubt anyone will claim that they were aiming for iOS when that aquisition was made. It was a happy extra
    10-06-16 10:00 AM
    I did misundestand
    You're right.

I disagree a bit about attracting the visonary, Blackberry lost the ability to attract those kind of talent well before Chen.
    When they did have those sort of talent, they stifled them until the talent left. It's a real shame, they had some great talented people under their banner at one point.

Not seen that interview yet :P
    Anyone ever attempted a documentary?
    10-06-16 10:20 AM

No it won't close, no one wants to see that. Bla1ze said it will stay in that case. Lots of people will still be fans and use the phones even after that.

Its a fan site but a true fan sticks with the company, not its products. Screw the fate and hopes of the phones they like. What is this, a Drama/Love story?. Only one thing matters: The company, BlackBerry.

Are we sad for everything that happened? Yes, devastated even but I don't care if they sell cars as long as they're out there. Anyone with brains follows the same principle.

Its like nations, people may die for it if that's what it takes for the nation to survive. Phones should die for the company to survive, period.
    Well I don't disagree about the principles of a company. But we are (I am for that matter) fans of BlackBerry handsets and OS and such. This site is probably on air because of those reasons. We are not fans of the radar system or WatchDox or stuff. My 2 cents.
    10-06-16 11:10 AM
    Well I don't disagree about the principles of a company. But we are (I am for that matter) fans of BlackBerry handsets and OS and such. This site is probably on air because of those reasons. We are not fans of the radar system or WatchDox or stuff. My 2 cents.
    We're all here because of phones to start with, but you have some personalities who would like to see BlackBerry bleed hundreds of millions so their majesty could have a few devices to toy with.

This is BS. If a fan prefers to have devices over the financial health of the company and its existence, then such fan is either childish or has no perception of reality.

They did everything and failed, what more they can do? They spent billions but they had too many idiots in the management spending them. Even after all of that its not over and you'll still see a minimum of two confirmed devices, one of them made by BB. And the possibility of many to come with the partners.

This should be loud & clear: If the phones mean the demise of the company, then screw them.
    blackmass and TGR1 like this.
    10-06-16 11:28 AM
    At that point Apple was looking to right the ship and get back to it's 8% of the PC market (it had slipped to 5%). NeXT was a big deal since Rhapsody & Copeland weren't in any shape to ever be released (personally, I was rooting for BeOS).

iOS may have been idea. But it was still 10 years after the NeXT acquisition. It didn't happen overnite. And it didn't contribute to getting the company stable enough to release new products (since that all came before the iPhone).
    10-06-16 11:35 AM

This is like going to a funeral and saying all is well since the estate will carry on.

Crackberry will close if and when it ceases to be profitable for its owners. It could morph into a volunteer effort offered by some fans .
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 11:40 AM
    This is like going to a funeral and saying all is well since the estate will carry on.

Crackberry will close if and when it ceases to be profitable for its owners. It could morph into a volunteer effort offered by some fans .
    WebOS Nation is still around...
    Bbnivende and TGR1 like this.
    10-06-16 11:45 AM
    WebOS Nation is still around...
    And are there still posters on there predicting an imminent come-back...?
    TgeekB, DrBoomBotz and Cashgap like this.
    10-06-16 01:18 PM
    Its a fan site but a true fan sticks with the company, not its products. Only one thing matters: The company, BlackBerry.
    I like the company because they design nice smartphones. I am a fan of the product. Sorry...
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 03:31 PM
    I like the company because they design nice smartphones. I am a fan of the product. Sorry...
    Well, they're done designing them mate, I would find myself a new hobby soon.

No need to be sorry.

Here, you've some explaining to do to JeepBB:

Or are you a big fan of EMM software and keen to discuss the finer points of "remote delete" on a forum?
    10-06-16 03:35 PM
    Yes, and I think that's generally true of everyone here except the few stock trading types who hang out in the BBRY sub-forum. Most are here because of an interest in the phones... no phones... no interest.

That might sound simplistic, but I'm convinced it is nonetheless true. Few here are interested in following BlackBerry, the Company.
    10-06-16 03:40 PM

Well, they're done designing them mate, I would find myself a new hobby soon.

No need to be sorry.

Here, you've some explaining to do to JeepBB:
    I think you may have reversed the meaning of his post, unless I have... see above

His interest in the company is due to the product, not the other way around. If he didn't like the phones, I take it that he wouldn't be here because of any special attachment to BlackBerry the company.
    10-06-16 03:41 PM
    Yes, and I think that's generally true of everyone here except the few stock trading types who hang out in the BBRY sub-forum. Most are here because of an interest in the phones... no phones... no interest.

That might sound simplistic, but I'm convinced it is nonetheless true. Few here are interested in following BlackBerry, the Company.
    Would you like to bet on me staying here after they close the curtains? Also, would you say for sure everyone would go from here when that happens?

I mean I always like to express my opinion, but not other people's opinions while I'm at it xD. You've people still using their 9900 bold that was released god knows when (I really forgot, too many devices). They still discussed that phone, even more than you would discuss anything these days. Shows you that BB fans may stay in that forum well beyond Hardware. Speaking about the glorious and not so glorious past while drowning in Nostalgia.

P.S. Don't be convinced when it comes to human beings, just don't, too unpredictable for you to predict, for anyone.
    10-06-16 03:44 PM
    Would you like to bet on me staying here after they close the curtains? Also, would you say for sure everyone would go from here when that happens?
    Actually I'm sure there will be several people here who would be happy to discuss EMMs with you, and discuss why the world needs another BBOS phone, and why a Samsung/Apple/Google/Microsoft mis-step represents an opportunity for BlackBerry.

If you want a sneak-preview of what that forum future is going to look like... the WebOS forums are over there.
    early2bed likes this.
    10-06-16 03:51 PM
    His interest in the company is due to the product, not the other way around. If he didn't like the phones, I take it that he wouldn't be here because of any special attachment to BlackBerry the company.
    Exactly
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-06-16 03:53 PM
    Well, the DTEK60 arrives next week, and if Alex Thurber isn't lying, the Mercury in six months. I expect BlackBerry to drop the Nougat update somewhere around there as well. And presumably the Android group is still working on building out their software offerings.

And ... there's also the BBOS users, BB10 users who show no signs of slowing down or stopping using their favourite devices...

I don't see Crackberry going anywhere anytime soon! And sure, if BlackBerry devices are no more, then Crackberry could switch re-imagine themselves somewhat, and keep going as a general tech discussion site.
    Sairos likes this.
    10-06-16 03:54 PM
    How do you make an ignore list for crackberry? I can't find the option.

Sent from my BlackBerry Passport SE
    10-06-16 04:03 PM
    BB10 users who show no signs of slowing down or stopping using their favourite devices...
    My Passport is the best smartphone in the world. Period. But Whatsapp quitting BB10 is a huge problem. I now have the android version installed with WAA Fixer. But it isnt flawless this way. Also the lack of other apps is kind of getting annoying. So sooner or later I will replace the Passport with a new high end device. I really hope the Blackberry logo will be on that device. But that chance is getting smaller with BlackBerry's new strategy.
    So although it is my favourite device, I will stop using it.
    10-06-16 04:09 PM
    Actually I'm sure there will be several people here who would be happy to discuss EMMs with you, and discuss why the world needs another BBOS phone, and why a Samsung/Apple/Google/Microsoft mis-step represents an opportunity for BlackBerry.

If you want a sneak-preview of what that forum future is going to look like... the WebOS forums are over there.
    Well, I would be more than happy to discuss anything BlackBerry related. I've no info about EMM, so actually can't discuss that. I don't analyze the missteps of other companies as opportunities for BlackBerry. I've never had anything to say regarding this. You mistake me for another member.

But actually no matter how missteps they make. Its irrelevant since 0.2%.

When it comes to webOS, I've 0% wtf this is, so no I won't be discussing it. I'm not into discussing things I don't know about, like being convinced all people would quit the forum if hardware shuts down xD.. Or that the website will close.

Interesting though, you say you're here for the phones not the company. They interest you, yet you don't own one according to your list of devices. I don't own one too but I like tech & BlackBerry in general and its a nice forum to discuss things on it. So you're here for the products but I don't see any products, care to explain?

And does this mean that when they stop desgining or when they quit hardware, you will quit here too? Remember, I'll call you on that
    10-06-16 04:19 PM
585 ... 21222324