Well I expect a CEO to lean on every aspect of the company.
    True, I've suggested, like a broken record, for months, that they separate Hard from soft and get someone to handle the devices. Actually they did so in the end with the mobility solutions units and they gave it to Thurber. It was too late though.

He is not a software guy either believe me. He is good with numbers. Can you imagine a CEO of a mobile handset and software company not knowing the name of Android? He will fail on the long term. The lack of vision will hit BlackBerry when they'll need to compete. My 2 cents.
    The way he restructured the company to Soft and Everything he has done proves he is a software guy. Even his history with Sybase. However, we can say he is not a tech savvy in phones. He is not familiar or a knowledgeable guy in terms of mobile OSs or what the market needs or want.

By the way Sony's handset division was bleeding bad too. They broke even this year. Don't say the sell camera sensors because that is another division not in the handsets.
    Haha ours is not bleeding man, I don't know what word to use, I need a word severely worst than bleeding. Sony is using android since quite a few years now and they've started out great but they were just led astray for a while. Brand recognition is still strong. Marketing is present. They score well in a few things.
    10-05-16 10:56 AM
    Any id*** with half a brain could have done that, it's NOT an achievement. It's a desperate move motivated by necessity rather than genius.

Posted via CB10
    I am sorry to be so direct, but if your are really holding BBRY stock and you'r so mad about the current company strategy i just don't get why you didn't sell your parts.
    10-05-16 10:57 AM
    I am sorry to be so direct, but if your are really holding BBRY stock and you'r so mad about the current company strategy i just don't get why you didn't sell your parts.
    Holding for the long haul. Hoping Chen will be replaced.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 10:59 AM
    True, I've suggested, like a broken record, for months, that they separate Hard from soft and get someone to handle the devices. Actually they did so in the end with the mobility solutions units and they gave it to Thurber. It was too late though.
    They did long before that actually,

Ron Louks Hired By BlackBerry To Head Device Group
    10-05-16 11:06 AM
    The main problem it they can't build faster than they are shrinking.... That and the simple fact that most folks here care very little about that stuff, as hardware was the reason CrackBerry came into being. Thus the frustration about the situation.
    Yes, I will miss CrackBerry more than my BlackBerry.
    10-05-16 11:06 AM
    NA.
    10-05-16 11:09 AM
    They did long before that actually,

Ron Louks Hired By BlackBerry To Head Device Group
    Seperate. They officially separated it and reported its revenues recently from a few months. Chen also announced he won't be talking hardware after the creation of the Mobility solutions unit and that job will go for Thurber. Thurber handled the DTEK's unveiling and Chen didn't even show up. He was still responsible for the handsets back when Ron was hired and after that even. He still did the unveiling and failed miserably with the Priv.
    10-05-16 11:13 AM
    Seperate. They officially separated it and reported its revenues recently from a few months. Chen also announced he won't be talking hardware after the creation of the Mobility solutions unit and that job will go for Thurber. Thurber handled the DTEK's unveiling and Chen didn't even show up. He was still responsible for the handsets back when Ron was hired and after that even. He still did the unveiling and failed miserably with the Priv.
    Well guess he needs to adjust to that since he still can't keep his mouth shut .

I don't know Sairos. Anyone with software enthusiasm knows about Android and iOS. I don't expect him to know webos meego harmattan tizen symbian and such. I can't really describe it. He lacks enthusiasm and / or vision. I don't know. He is limiting the company to Security. Samsung is already in the biz and Apple is gearing up. Since these companies want to tie you up even in your home I wonder what will be left of BlackBerry. They can sell the company from that point on I guess. I get furious when companies like BlackBerry make bad choices on and on. Instead of trying to adjust 1:1 aspect ratio for Android they could have released 4:3 ratio display in the first place. Convince Google for a joint handset like Nexus Business. I don't know lots of things before throwing in the towel. Moreover, PRIV was the hail mary. A slider form. Who in their right mind would have done that. Anyways, I hope BlackBerry makes a lot of money in the future, maybe they will get back to the hardware game like Nokia. .
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-05-16 11:36 AM
    Well guess he needs to adjust to that since he still can't keep his mouth shut .

I don't know Sairos. Anyone with software enthusiasm knows about Android and iOS. I don't expect him to know webos meego harmattan tizen symbian and such. I can't really describe it. He lacks enthusiasm and / or vision. I don't know. He is limiting the company to Security. Samsung is already in the biz and Apple is gearing up. Since these companies want to tie you up even in your home I wonder what will be left of BlackBerry. They can sell the company from that point on I guess. I get furious when companies like BlackBerry make bad choices on and on. Instead of trying to adjust 1:1 aspect ratio for Android they could have released 4:3 ratio display in the first place. Convince Google for a joint handset like Nexus Business. I don't know lots of things before throwing in the towel. Moreover, PRIV was the hail mary. A slider form. Who in their right mind would have done that. Anyways, I hope BlackBerry makes a lot of money in the future, maybe they will get back to the hardware game like Nokia. .
    I don't disagree completely but software is a very large segment so actually no, not every software enthusiast is knowledgeable with Mobile software and OSs. Because software is a very large place. Is a doctor knowledgeable about every field of medicine? Is an athlete knowledgeable about every sport?. But you would argue that they're knowledgeable in their fields. Which is why Chen was supposed to know more since he is handling a hardware company.

Like I said before, I agree completely with everything in hardware, only I disagree that he hasn't done well with the software side. BlackBerry operates in much more than cyber-security also EMM, Cars, IoT and there will be more exposure for such stuff in the future. So not only cybersec.
    10-05-16 11:53 AM
    I don't disagree completely but software is a very large segment so actually no, not every software enthusiast is knowledgeable with Mobile software and OSs. Because software is a very large place. Is a doctor knowledgeable about every field of medicine? Is an athlete knowledgeable about every sport?. But you would argue that they're knowledgeable in their fields. Which is why Chen was supposed to know more since he is handling a hardware company.

Like I said before, I agree completely with everything in hardware, only I disagree that he hasn't done well with the software side. BlackBerry operates in much more than cyber-security also EMM, Cars, IoT and there will be more exposure for such stuff in the future. So not only cybersec.
    It is something like the CEO of an investment firm not knowing the name of the currency used in the Euro Zone. Well who cares now, it was probably the board's decision anyways.
    10-05-16 12:02 PM
    It is something like the CEO of an investment firm not knowing the name of the currency used in the Euro Zone. Well who cares now, it was probably the board's decision anyways.
    Yeah its an epic failure. Bringing someone like him who is nil in phones to a company like BlackBerry. Of course it was the board's decision, who else? Led mainly by Fairfax. They saw his comeback story with Sybase and thought that's the right guy to stage a comeback. They didn't care much whether its a comeback through software or hardware or even hard boiled eggs. They wanted to keep the company alive and I think he has done that for them. Whacking the hardware division in the process, of course.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-05-16 12:06 PM
    10-05-16 01:57 PM
    Yeah its an epic failure. Bringing someone like him who is nil in phones to a company like BlackBerry. Of course it was the board's decision, who else? Led mainly by Fairfax. They saw his comeback story with Sybase and thought that's the right guy to stage a comeback. They didn't care much whether its a comeback through software or hardware or even hard boiled eggs. They wanted to keep the company alive and I think he has done that for them. Whacking the hardware division in the process, of course.
    Think Prem made the decision all on his own... the Board was desperate. Prem did the bailout and put his man in charge. And the fact that some of Chen's first interviews were all about software and the possibility of an end to hardware.... I bet he had already discussed it with PREM.

Kevin told all of us that BlackBerry had ONE SHOT at a comeback... and that they would have to get most everything just right. Well they missed on just about everyone of his points. BB10 was a F L O P. There really was no way of coming back - they had lost their chance at developer (who need a large growing userbase) and even with Enterprise (they had been waiting for three years, they were ready to buy something). Think future of BlackBerry without hardware has been seen as the inevitable for a long time.
    StephanieMaks and murphcid like this.
    10-05-16 02:15 PM
    Think Prem made the decision all on his own... the Board was desperate. Prem did the bailout and put his man in charge. And the fact that some of Chen's first interviews were all about software and the possibility of an end to hardware.... I bet he had already discussed it with PREM.

Kevin told all of us that BlackBerry had ONE SHOT at a comeback... and that they would have to get most everything just right. Well they missed on just about everyone of his points. BB10 was a F L O P. There really was no way of coming back - they had lost their chance at developer (who need a large growing userbase) and even with Enterprise (they had been waiting for three years, they were ready to buy something). Think future of BlackBerry without hardware has been seen as the inevitable for a long time.
    You sure have a hard on for Kevin.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-16 02:19 PM

Yes I agree, I think its all Fairfax led by Prem. He seems to admire Chen and after bailing BB out the way he did, he would get to do whatever he wants. This clearly was about a comeback at all costs. Nothing wrong here actually, the company should survive at all costs, anything else is not a priority. And I don't want to hear a bunch of fans telling me I bought some devices and got my heart broken because of the hardware. You've a guy who invested billions, no more commitment than that. Its much more than their bunch of hundreds-thousands spent on devices. So Prem gets to decides who plays CEO and what happens. Fair play to him.
    10-05-16 02:35 PM
    And what in BlackBerry 10 was supposed to replace that revenue stream ??

Posted via CB10
    Nothing. Which was one of the big problems. But BB had no choice as the carriers were not willing to continue making special provisions nor paying the fees, is my understanding. My point was the margins on the SAFs were always much better than on selling the hardware.
    10-05-16 03:05 PM
    Louks was succeeded by Ralph Pini, not Thurber (he's VP of device sales).

BlackBerry Names Ralph Pini to Replace Ron Louks as Head of Devices - WSJ

I think Louks was primarily overseeing BlackBerry's Android efforts, I'm sure Chen must have had some input into devices but I doubt he was micromanaging the division or relegating head of devices to a symbolic position.

Edit: Some insight into their roles,

https://www.cnet.com/news/inside-bla...-with-android/
    10-05-16 07:22 PM
    Yes I agree, I think its all Fairfax led by Prem. He seems to admire Chen and after bailing BB out the way he did, he would get to do whatever he wants. This clearly was about a comeback at all costs. Nothing wrong here actually, the company should survive at all costs, anything else is not a priority. And I don't want to hear a bunch of fans telling me I bought some devices and got my heart broken because of the hardware. You've a guy who invested billions, no more commitment than that. Its much more than their bunch of hundreds-thousands spent on devices. So Prem gets to decides who plays CEO and what happens. Fair play to him.
    Exactly. Not only is it Watsa's right to bring Chen in to transform the company, these are his fiduciary obligations at BlackBerry and Fairfax. Watsa is trying his best to salvage as much as he can for his own shareholders back at Fairfax and the rest of the shareholders of BBRY. That is his job.
    JeepBB and TgeekB like this.
    10-05-16 09:15 PM
    Well this is a fan site after all. This is not a software / MDM fan site. Folks here are interested in phones and in particular the fate of and hopes for the phones they like. If BlackBerry should leave the phone business then this site should close or morph into something like Ralph's 9900 resurgence thread.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 12:44 AM
    I think BlackBerry is going nowhere. Alex Thurber might be onto something nice.
    10-06-16 02:41 AM
    Apart from the worst PR right? If he was to shutdown hardware he should have done it after the passport. He spent all the resources for the android then did none marketing. What did he expect? This was over when he said the Priv runs Google. By looking at the latest CEOs of big companies, Chen is an accountant. Could be a good CFO or auditer. But he has no vision.
    What?
    The Priv received way more marketing than the Passport.

What vision are you talking about? What did you expect him to do. Waste whatever is left on a Premium BB10 phone that wouldnt sell and force the company under? CEO's do not design phones, and Blackberry was lacking the talent to be visionary well before Chen came in.

Unless you meant they should have marketed the Priv more than they did, in which case I agree, but can understand why they didn't.
    If they had moved to Android earlier there probably would have been more advertising as BB10 wouldnt have drained them as much.

If Chen is guilty of anything, it's not ditching BB10 sooner
    JeepBB and murphcid like this.
    10-06-16 03:11 AM
    Any id*** with half a brain could have done that, it's NOT an achievement. It's a desperate move motivated by necessity rather than genius.

Posted via CB10
    Yet such an aquisition put Apple where they are now...
    10-06-16 03:14 AM
    And what in BlackBerry 10 was supposed to replace that revenue stream ??

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry World - they would get 30℅ of everything sold there.
    10-06-16 06:22 AM
    What?
    The Priv received way more marketing than the Passport.

What vision are you talking about? What did you expect him to do. Waste whatever is left on a Premium BB10 phone that wouldnt sell and force the company under? CEO's do not design phones, and Blackberry was lacking the talent to be visionary well before Chen came in.

Unless you meant they should have marketed the Priv more than they did, in which case I agree, but can understand why they didn't.
    If they had moved to Android earlier there probably would have been more advertising as BB10 wouldnt have drained them as much.

If Chen is guilty of anything, it's not ditching BB10 sooner

I guess you misunderstood. I said the same. Priv was doomed with that marketing. He should have shut down the hardware or outsource it (whatever) after the passport. It is practically impossible to gain ground without marketing your device. I said nothing about BB10.

Well visionary people attract or find visionary employees. I don't expect someone to be Jobs or Musk. But BlackBerry deserved a name like those. Too bad they didn't.

By the way, have you seen the interview about pkb coming in 6 months? Great comprehension skills. .
    10-06-16 06:34 AM
    BlackBerry World - they would get 30℅ of everything sold there.
    That's correct.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-16 07:38 AM
585 ... 2021222324