The new handsets didn't have BIS ,(BlackBerry 10), the plan was to replace that revenue stream with BlackBerry World, music / video store. Tap to pay,Mobile pay, etc. How much effort was put in by Chen with respect to that?? Selling devices was just one revenue stream. Chen shot himself in the foot with the cost cutting, harming the very platform. Where do you think Apple obtains a large portion of their revenue from outside of the constant upgrade cycles and advertising ??

Posted via CB10
    By the time Chen took over the platform had failed so that what you're saying was impossible.
    Who would partner with Blackberry over that in the state of BB10?
    All that should have been chased and put in place in the beginning.
    They made a terrible choice to go with Amazon which just made things worse.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-04-16 02:35 AM
    They operate very conservatively overall. Which is why unlike Palm, for example, failure in phones did not kill them. They've banked their profits. But then it takes those profits and some long term vision and luck to develop something unique that commands a premium and leads a part of the market.

Early days for BB were quite different from what I have read. They took chances, saw trends coming before the competition, and cleverly manipulated the market, their competitors and at times partners.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I agree with what you said about BB's early days. They acted like true pioneers then. What I meant to say was "Blackberry have lately been making their phones...apologetically"
    10-04-16 06:52 AM
    By the time Chen took over the platform had failed so that what you're saying was impossible.
    Who would partner with Blackberry over that in the state of BB10?
    All that should have been chased and put in place in the beginning.
    They made a terrible choice to go with Amazon which just made things worse.
    Impossible yes, for someone hell bent on shuttering hardware. Chen just reeks security and commitment to their customer base,no?? When he went on record to let everyone know that they freely pass clients information to the authorities and not denying that certain agencies already have a back door into their system. How did that reflect on BlackBerry??

At least Cook from Apple, put on a show with respect to RESPECTING their customers' privacy. And no I don't believe in the constant refrain here that says " I have nothing to hide ". Privacy and confidentiality in business is extremely important. Chen has even weakened the software/ Enterprise side of what he is trying to build by making such public statements, who appointed him the commissioner of national security???

I know there are many Chennites here, however he has done more harm to BlackBerry than many think. If you are sharing information with the authorities at least publicly, deny as Cook has done and move on.Plausible Deniability it's called. Some are saying that the software side and Enterprise is going to do well but how many new Enterprise organizations did sign on with BlackBerry since Chen took over and please EXCLUDE the clients he inherited /held captive from the take over of Good.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 10-04-16 at 02:49 PM.
    10-04-16 07:08 AM
    BB get out of hardware, look like Google just jump in... interesting. Cloud money or search money? in house hardware and software would be a big advantage. look like the other droid may have to re-think the freebie OS in long term...
    10-04-16 07:49 AM
    The news never tells the whole true story of the report from BlackBerry...they will still sell phones but outsource the design to other companies. They will save money for sure and might make a profit down the road. Sad that only 400,000 phones were sold last quarter.
    10-04-16 12:47 PM
    The news never tells the whole true story of the report from BlackBerry...they will still sell phones but outsource the design to other companies.
    The news story was true - Blackberry will not be selling phones - it's all there in the earnings call.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-04-16 01:28 PM
    So how did you want him to keep the lights on? Look at the losses he inherited the two quarters before he showed up. Cutting was REQUIRED, some of it did probably put an end to BB10 even back in 2013... but BB10 died in the SPRING of 2013, not in the Fall.
    BB10 was dead in more like 2010. It was far too late to market to compete.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-04-16 02:02 PM
    It will be very interesting to see what Indonesia makes. Probably no hardening of the chip and no PKB. You never know though . Could be a cheap Android PKB to replace all those ageing Curve's.

There are still 6 million BB's in use and we know that BB10 was not a big seller there. Maybe BlackBerry should offer an Android OS with BIS for low end devices in certain markets. Earn a little software revenue.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-04-16 at 02:22 PM.
    10-04-16 02:05 PM
    It will be very interesting to see what Indonesia makes. Probably no hardening of the chip and no PKB. You never know though . Could be a cheap Android PKB to replace all those ageing Curve's.
    Yeah I doubt that $230 phone will be a PKB... they want to move fast with an existing design to market and see how things go. But in the consumer market I bet more people would rather the phone not be hardened or locked that would want that option.

I have a Droid Turbo 2, and some of the biggest complaints I see about it and a few other Verizon phones... is that they aren't rootable. Granted I doubt the average users cares.... but then the average user isn't buying a fringe phone.
    10-04-16 02:09 PM
    Somehow I missed this from the NY Times.

"BlackBerry has the option of reselling the phones carrying its brand name and made by BB Merah Putih in Indonesia throughout the rest of the world. But Mr. Chen said the company had decided not to exercise that option. As a result, he said, sales of BlackBerry phones outside Indonesia will finish before the end of February 2017, the close of the company�s fiscal year."

If I was even considering a Dtek, I would not any more.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-04-16 at 03:14 PM. Reason: W
    10-04-16 03:08 PM
    BlackBerry has the option of reselling the phones carrying its brand name and made by BB Merah Putih in Indonesia throughout the rest of the world. But Mr. Chen said the company had decided not to exercise that option. As a result, he said, sales of BlackBerry phones outside Indonesia will finish before the end of February 2017, the close of the company’s fiscal year."
    "
    It's just a rehash of what he has in the earnings call.

The more I think about it - I bet the only software people are licensing is dtek and the hub software (the version available to other devices).
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and JeepBB like this.
    10-04-16 03:15 PM
    BlackBerry has the option of reselling the phones carrying its brand name and made by BB Merah Putih in Indonesia throughout the rest of the world. But Mr. Chen said the company had decided not to exercise that option. As a result, he said, sales of BlackBerry phones outside Indonesia will finish before the end of February 2017, the close of the company’s fiscal year."
    "
    Think they just piced together some of the things Chen said.

In the Earnings Call someone did bring up the selling of phones... and Chen talked about these being regional licensing deals. He did start to say they had the option to distribute the Indonesia phone.. but sounded like someone talked to him and then he said they would not be doing that.

When asked about the time frame for removing all the "cost" like PO and inventory on the books, he did indicate that would all be finished the end of the fiscal year. But that doesn't seem realistic with a new device just about to hit the market.

Maybe he meant all the dead BB10 inventory would be gone? Really can't see them officially closing the hardware department completely with the DTEK50 just being release and the DTEK60 just about to hit the market and the PKB phone still under consideration. Maybe if TCL is one of the potential partners, and will accept that responsibility. But then if the DTEK50 was selling well enough, would he have gone this route?

Along with the talk of laying off another 100 employees... might be that somehow BlackBerry will be out of the hardware business by February.
    10-04-16 03:19 PM
    Indeed, they (BlackBerry) have tweeted about nearing completion of NIAP certification for 10.3.3 Update... so atleast 10.3.3 should be coming in just few weeks
    Being BlackBerry10 NIAP certified just after iOS10 and Samsung Note 7 ain't a great success...

I am pretty sure they waited a looong before going to NIAP cerification in fact BlackBerry10 wasn't even listed in NIAP's list...

Posted via CB10
    10-04-16 03:58 PM
    Really can't see them officially closing the hardware department completely with the DTEK50 just being release and the DTEK60 just about to hit the market and the PKB phone still under consideration.
    I can.

I heard the same John Chen speech as everyone else. He explicitly stated that he was unsure whether to release the Mercury, seemed to be unsure about the D60 (even though I'm sure it'll come because the product is already made and the money spent) and pretty much ruled out re-importing the (as yet unknown) Indonesian phone. He also stated that BB would stop selling phones by end of the fiscal year (6 months from now) and that any BB-branded products in future would have nothing to do with them. I'm not sure how Chen could have been much clearer.

Maybe if TCL is one of the potential partners, and will accept that responsibility.
    I've seen no evidence that licencing (aka risk taking) fits TCL's business model. Even if TCL were in that game, buying a BB licence is maximizing that risk beyond where any prudent manufacturer is likely to want to go.

But then if the DTEK50 was selling well enough, would he have gone this route?

Along with the talk of laying off another 100 employees... might be that somehow BlackBerry will be out of the hardware business by February.
    I reckon you've answered your own question.
    10-04-16 04:02 PM
    Time for CrackBerry to take over the BlackBerry handset division. They would be lined up ! Imagine the Kevin autographed model - a true collectors edition.
    10-04-16 04:23 PM
    Kevin who???

He is not really involved anymore...for the last 5 years or so...
    10-04-16 04:49 PM
    The "PHONES " were their MAJOR source of income for many years. So when you try to spin otherwise you just sound foolish.

Posted via CB10
    The SAFs required for BBOS handsets was the real gold mine.

stlabrat likes this.
    10-04-16 04:58 PM
    Now would be a good time to add the BlackBerry keyboard from Cobalt on your Android phone.
    10-04-16 09:30 PM
    Kevin who???

He is not really involved anymore...for the last 5 years or so...
    Kevin is not the number one fan anymore...

But he did get Mobile Nations to really support the PRIV's launch and he was active in supporting BlackBerry then too.... But I think the fact that BlackBerry didn't support the PRIV and that they clearly overpriced it... he knew they weren't serious about recapturing their glory days (or even staying in the hardware business).

And he's really only been "gone" for three years or so. He fully supported BB10 launch, but by the fall it was clear that BB10 was doomed... Other products fit his needs much better (just like 99.9% of the rest of consumers.

But if BlackBerry had put forth more effort with the PRIV... he would have been happy to see them be successful.
    10-05-16 07:40 AM
    Kevin is not the number one fan anymore...

But he did get Mobile Nations to really support the PRIV's launch and he was active in supporting BlackBerry then too.... But I think the fact that BlackBerry didn't support the PRIV and that they clearly overpriced it... he knew they weren't serious about recapturing their glory days (or even staying in the hardware business).

And he's really only been "gone" for three years or so. He fully supported BB10 launch, but by the fall it was clear that BB10 was doomed... Other products fit his needs much better (just like 99.9% of the rest of consumers.

But if BlackBerry had put forth more effort with the PRIV... he would have been happy to see them be successful.
    Know much of Kevin??

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 07:52 AM
    Impossible yes, for someone hell bent on shuttering hardware. Chen just reeks security and commitment to their customer base,no?? When he went on record to let everyone know that they freely pass clients information to the authorities and not denying that certain agencies already have a back door into their system. How did that reflect on BlackBerry??

At least Cook from Apple, put on a show with respect to RESPECTING their customers' privacy. And no I don't believe in the constant refrain here that says " I have nothing to hide ". Privacy and confidentiality in business is extremely important. Chen has even weakened the software/ Enterprise side of what he is trying to build by making such public statements, who appointed him the commissioner of national security???

I know there are many Chennites here, however he has done more harm to BlackBerry than many think. If you are sharing information with the authorities at least publicly, deny as Cook has done and move on.Plausible Deniability it's called. Some are saying that the software side and Enterprise is going to do well but how many new Enterprise organizations did sign on with BlackBerry since Chen took over and please EXCLUDE the clients he inherited /held captive from the take over of Good.

Posted via CB10
    Again Blackberry has always held the position of sharing people's information. That is nothing new with Chen. I was extremely annoyed by Blackberry saying they did that well before he got there.
    And again you have to keep in mind, his mission was to save the company, and the hardware was killing it, so yeah he was never there to try and save the hardware side.
    He tried though, but cautiously. Probably the more responsible thing to do in regards to his objective but not for people here.
    The mistakes were there well before he came and he's getting the blame for things that are Blackberry tradition (like sharing information) which is a tad unfair.
    10-05-16 07:54 AM
    The SAFs required for BBOS handsets was the real gold mine.

And what in BlackBerry 10 was supposed to replace that revenue stream ??

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 07:55 AM
    Again Blackberry has always held the position of sharing people's information. That is nothing new with Chen. I was extremely annoyed by Blackberry saying they did that well before he got there.
    And again you have to keep in mind, his mission was to save the company, and the hardware was killing it, so yeah he was never there to try and save the hardware side.
    He tried though, but cautiously. Probably the more responsible thing to do in regards to his objective but not for people here.
    The mistakes were there well before he came and he's getting the blame for things that are Blackberry tradition (like sharing information) which is a tad unfair.
    He precipitated things and NOT to build BlackBerry but prep for a quick sale. RIM was Research in Motion. Where is the Research in Motion? BlackBerry 10 was the last of it .CHEN built NOTHING, all the excuses and passes his fans can make, means NOTHING for BlackBerry, the ONLY saving grace for them was the Acquisition of other entities to boost their bottom line since his entrance, Create?? NOT!! Chen suffers from Foot in mouth disease to compound things.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 10-05-16 at 08:23 AM.
    10-05-16 08:06 AM
    He precipitated things and NOT to build BlackBerry but prep for a quick sale. RIM was Research in Motion. Where is the Research in Motion? BlackBerry 10 was the last of it .CHEN built NOTHING, all the excuses and passes his fans can make, means NOTHING for BlackBerry, the ONLY saving grace for them was the Acquisition of other entities to boost their bottom line since his entrance, Create?? NOT!! Chen suffers from Foot in mouth disease to compound things.

Posted via CB10
    I dont think anyone is saying he created anything except the opportunity for Blackberry to survive in some way.
    The old administration was the one that caused the issues.
    Chen saved the company but at steep costs
    The alternative would have been no more Blackbery at all if it had carried on the way it was

Thats the bottom line
    10-05-16 08:29 AM
    Other than preventing job losses, I see no reason why consumers should care that BlackBerry has been "saved".

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 08:37 AM
585 ... 1819202122 ...