That might make more sense.
    Reading between the lines on BlackBerry statements is like analyzing George RR Martin's Game of Thrones, lol.
    10-01-16 03:38 PM
    Why not do something like the Jolla c did? Make a limited run of mercury devices you could get as preorder, first come first served. If they run out, they run out.

Passport!
    10-01-16 03:40 PM
    OK, so we're all in agreement then that the next bb10 device "due shortly" will be an iPhone killing, android destroying beast!

...Cool I like consensus

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 03:52 PM
    Well a squared shaped screen phone with no app which happens to have a dedicated keyboard did pretty well.
    No it did not.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 05:17 PM
    Why not do something like the Jolla c did? Make a limited run of mercury devices you could get as preorder, first come first served. If they run out, they run out.
    Probably because that would both be competing against any potential licensees AND would go against Chen's (and certainly the shareholders') goal of getting BB out of the device business.
    10-01-16 05:45 PM

Passport!
    Probably because that would both be competing against any potential licensees AND would go against Chen's (and certainly the shareholders') goal of getting BB out of the device business.
    Correction welcome but didn't that team also run out of resources and couldn't fulfill most of even the modest orders? Sort of like a typical overly ambitious crowd sourced project.
    10-01-16 07:49 PM
    Correction welcome but didn't that team also run out of resources and couldn't fulfill most of even the modest orders? Sort of like a typical overly ambitious crowd sourced project.
    Exactly right. It's fun to dream, and I'm sure the team is working hard, but the reality is that the smartphone business is EXPENSIVE to be in and the mobile platform business is significantly MORE expensive to be in, and small players like Sailfish simply lack the funding to deliver. Crowd-sourcing simply isn't a viable way to make something as expensive and complicated as a smartphone - and if a big company like BB tried it, it would be incredibly embarrassing.

It would be like the owner of a formerly popular, successful restaurant opening up a kid's lemonade stand on a streetcorner.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-01-16 10:52 PM
    Exactly right. It's fun to dream, and I'm sure the team is working hard, but the reality is that the smartphone business is EXPENSIVE to be in and the mobile platform business is significantly MORE expensive to be in, and small players like Sailfish simply lack the funding to deliver. Crowd-sourcing simply isn't a viable way to make something as expensive and complicated as a smartphone - and if a big company like BB tried it, it would be incredibly embarrassing.

It would be like the owner of a formerly popular, successful restaurant opening up a kid's lemonade stand on a streetcorner.
    Which I find it amazing that there are actually people that believe something like this is true and actually try to fund it.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09...-was-too-weak/
    SMocek likes this.
    10-01-16 11:05 PM
    I love the OG passport but the SE seems so tempting!

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    10-02-16 02:03 AM

At this point they may as well shut down, sell patents and put BB out of its misery.
    10-02-16 02:30 PM
    At this point they may as well shut down, sell patents and put BB out of its misery.
    As one of many harbingers of failure around here, I endorse this proposal.

Life is a lot more relaxing when there's no hope.

Sent from mTalk
    10-02-16 03:22 PM
    While it may not matter to you - or some others here - the fact is that BB is more than just a smartphone company, and they'll simply be focusing on those other parts moving forward instead of on phones.
    10-02-16 08:50 PM
    BB-xit

posted via the last true BlackBerry
    10-02-16 08:52 PM
    While it may not matter to you - or some others here - the fact is that BB is more than just a smartphone company, and they'll simply be focusing on those other parts moving forward instead of on phones.
    We'll still see BlackBerry-branded phones running BlackBerry software. They're just not making them in-house anymore.

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    10-02-16 09:15 PM
    The "PHONES " were their MAJOR source of income for many years. So when you try to spin otherwise you just sound foolish.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 09:22 PM
    The "PHONES " were their MAJOR source of income for many years. So when you try to spin otherwise you just sound foolish.

Posted via CB10
    The past several years the phones have been a major financial drain on the company.

10-02-16 09:34 PM
    John Chen is a moron. The people who brought him there, don't want to talk about them.

This is a person, in charge of a once handset giant telling people that his company's newest phone running Google.
    But he is right on one point. I don't know how large Canadian handset market is but they should have supported BlackBerry. I wish my country had this kind of a company.
    This is dilemma phones business, BlackBerry is facing fierce competition phones with OS android and iPhone . It is good news that BlackBerry outsourcing hardware.

Posted via CB10
    10-02-16 10:35 PM
    Pini is keep saying that BlackBerry is NOT done with hardware. They'll just be outsourcing instead of producing their own phones. According to Pini, there are a bunch of phone manufacturers lining up to put BB10 on their phones and he also said anything with the name BlackBerry will be made sure it holds against the quality test. So I guess let's wait and see what happens

It's the End of an Era..
    10-02-16 10:40 PM
    Pini is keep saying that BlackBerry is NOT done with hardware. They'll just be outsourcing instead of producing their own phones. According to Pini, there are a bunch of phone manufacturers lining up to put BB10 on their phones and he also said anything with the name BlackBerry will be made sure it holds against the quality test. So I guess let's wait and see what happens

It's the End of an Era..
    You better provide a citation. BB10...no way.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    10-02-16 11:06 PM
    We shouldn't be so negative, we should be more like the Japanese, they don't give up and declare defeat, they figure out the problem, re-invest and solve the problem. On this side of the Pacific we are quitters at the first sign of trouble.

Subaru and Sony should have been dead years ago. They re-invested.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-02-16 11:09 PM
    You better provide a citation. BB10...no way.

Posted via CB10
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...-bb10-1087664/
    10-02-16 11:09 PM
    Thank you!

Posted via one of the Last of BlackBerry's Iconic devices
    10-02-16 11:17 PM

It's the End of an Era..
    I find it odd that the article that claimed this quoted him directly with everything else he said but when it came to this, they just mentioned that he said that. Why no direct quote?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by ray689; 10-02-16 at 11:46 PM.
    10-02-16 11:19 PM
    Thanks for the citation. I can imagine BB10 PKB devices at a very low price point in some emerging market countries.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 12:39 AM
    I find it odd that the article that claimed this quoted him directly with everything else he said but when it came to this, they just mentioned that he said that. Why no direct quote?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    It seems to me he did a pool interview and different outlets put different spins on it - I cannot find it now but in one version he says something along the lines "I'm sure someone will be interested but I don't know who or where" - I'll try and dig it up.

We'll still see BlackBerry-branded phones running BlackBerry software in Indonesia.. They're just not be assuming any responsibility for them - be it servicing, security or liability.

As of today, this is the corrected version of your post.
    10-03-16 12:43 AM
585 ... 1617181920 ...