Nice post.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...source=twitter

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Almost sounds like they are doing this on purpose now these days. Have Chen say something, followed up by another clarification article.

I guess it's working, they get double the headlines and lots of talking points for the fearmongers on CrackBerry...
    09-30-16 10:50 AM
    Try looking at all of 2015. Actually the person who said they lost billions isn't even that far off. I see 2 quarter with around 250 million in loses. Their revenues dropped 64% and valuation fell below their $1.5 billion cash on hand.

will take a look.
    so far all i've seen is up to august 2015
    09-30-16 10:57 AM
    Almost sounds like they are doing this on purpose now these days. Have Chen say something, followed up by another clarification article.

I guess it's working, they get double the headlines and lots of talking points for the fearmongers on CrackBerry...
    Maybe, yes. And anyone who likes and follows the brand will seek out any new phones. I wonder, outside of Indonesia, how many people buy BlackBerry phones anyways. I'm of the mind that these headlines won't have much of an impact in terms of the already low sales.
    09-30-16 10:57 AM

If there's one thing I've learnt, when it comes to Blackberry speculation usually means nothing.
    Definitive License partners would have been named or mentioned
    All these comments from Blackberry reeks of attempting to parade the license in the shop window in a bid to drum up interest.
    I fear that, apart from Indonesia, there is no licensed partner currently working with Blackberry
    JeepBB and Elephant_Canyon like this.
    09-30-16 11:13 AM
    If there's one thing I've learnt, when it comes to Blackberry speculation usually means nothing.
    Definitive License partners would have been named or mentioned
    All these comments from Blackberry reeks of attempting to parade the license in the shop window in a bid to drum up interest.
    I fear that, apart from Indonesia, there is no licensed partner currently working with Blackberry
    I expect they are in talks with others... but BlackBerry has pretty much PROVEN that the Brand isn't enough to sell phones, and I don't think Chen is going to just allow a vendor to slap the BlackBerry name on a $50 phone in India, in hopes it adds to it's sellability.

Just like BBM and that licensing deal in Indonesia, I expect that is probably the only market where the name still carries some value. Middles East, South Africa and India were once major markets for BlackBerry... but those seemed to have moved on more quickly than Indonesia did.

Only hope in North America or Europe is if someone thinks that there is a market for security phones... but that is looking less and less likely based on both BlackBerry and SilentCircles problems. In those other markets I think all they want is the name....

But yeah as Chen didn't try overselling the Licensing deal... I doubt he is really expecting someone else to step in and do what they couldn't.
    09-30-16 11:31 AM

Yes but the main headlines were on main stream media. These clarification headlines are on tech blogs and tweets which don't have the reach of TV news all of which reported the same thing without much focus on potential licences and BlackBerry branded devices still coming.

09-30-16 11:43 AM
    Can't you all see now that whilst almost everyone thought blackberry was already dead this news broke on mainstream news outlets in a manner akin to the death of a beloved celebrity.
    To me that smacks of brand value of some degree, maybe nostalgia, mourning an artist who had some superb hits years gone by but their newer stuff was never the same level.

There is potential for the brand and now more than ever, all it needs is someone who knows how to market properly and move some modern units.

Blackberry's salvation might very well be in un burdening the brand from the company of the same name.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 12:08 PM
    I think it's a good idea, as long as they still plan on making keyboard phones!
    09-30-16 12:12 PM
    Can't you all see now that whilst almost everyone thought blackberry was already dead this news broke on mainstream news outlets in a manner akin to the death of a beloved celebrity.
    To me that smacks of brand value of some degree, maybe nostalgia, mourning an artist who had some superb hits years gone by but their newer stuff was never the same level.

There is potential for the brand and now more than ever, all it needs is someone who knows how to market properly and move some modern units.

Blackberry's salvation might very well be in un burdening the brand from the company of the same name.

Posted via CB10
    No it isn't. It's more like they are trying to dig as much dirt as possible.

Bla1ze explained this here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...l#post12599663
    09-30-16 12:20 PM
    They should end the way they came in: PKB baby! I might even tweet Chen something to that effect! (not a big social media person).

Passport is a polarizing device - you either absolutely love it or think it's a piece of ----. Oddly, I've noticed quite a few iPhone users that were drawn to the Passport (like myself). I dunno what to make of that, but I still have it and still love the form factor. Such a beautiful piece of hardware, imo.
    I was using a z30 at the time the passport was released. At the time I remember wondering "what the heck is this monstrosity" and writing it off.

That is a failure of blackberry's marketing. The device was so different from anything else out there that people didn't know what to make of it. What's more, there was nowhere they could readily see one.

It is a tremendous device, more of a pocket pc than a phone...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-16 02:25 PM
    Lets ALL be honest BB exited the hardware division with crappy BBOS hardware, it didn't keep up and made no profit - that's when you exit - when you become a loss leader.

Magical dreams of BB10 and the BBAndy have been that, dreams of profit back to not being a loss leader.
    09-30-16 02:57 PM
    They'll sub out manufacturing of devices to 3rd parties?
    No that was the DTEK50 model - BBRY paid someone to make phones for them. In this model, the licenses pays THEM and takes all the risk. The end phones will have absolutely nothing to do with BBRY as a company.
    09-30-16 03:01 PM
    No that was the DTEK50 model - BBRY paid someone to make phones for them. In this model, the licenses pays THEM and takes all the risk. The end phones will have absolutely nothing to do with BBRY as a company.
    Except they will carry some branding (maybe on boot) and follow BlackBerry guidelines.
    09-30-16 03:02 PM
    Except they will carry some branding (maybe on boot) and follow BlackBerry guidelines.
    BB logo or branding is just not going to buy any licence holder any credibility in the market place to boost sales, hardware where BB failed will though.
    09-30-16 03:06 PM
    Any licensee does that - that's standard - it doesn't make my statement less true - they will have nothing to do with blackberry - if they don't want to put any extra security on - chen is cool with that. If they want to turn out low-end consumer devices, Chen is (clearly) fine with that given that is what their Indonesian partner plans to do and that Blackberry themselves say they will chase 'second and third tier' players and they themselves don't see it as realistic than any big players will be interested.

So whatever these guidelines are - they are pretty slack from the available evidence. And when you buy that unsecure low-end consumer device - it's nothing to do with Blackberry.
    09-30-16 03:08 PM
    Sux .... Even with all the tools handed to him, Chen can't build a phone and make a profit while other phone makers do.

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's 🌎 largest network.
    Orange UK likes this.
    09-30-16 03:19 PM
    Any licensee does that - that's standard - it doesn't make my statement less true - they will have nothing to do with blackberry - if they don't want to put any extra security on - chen is cool with that. If they want to turn out low-end consumer devices, Chen is (clearly) fine with that given that is what their Indonesian partner plans to do and that Blackberry themselves say they will chase 'second and third tier' players and they themselves don't see it as realistic than any big players will be interested.

So whatever these guidelines are - they are pretty slack from the available evidence. And when you buy that unsecure low-end consumer device - it's nothing to do with Blackberry.
    I wasn't disagreeing with you.

PRIV STV100-1/AAG191 DTEK50 STH100-1/AAG326 Z30STA100-5/10.3.3.746
    cgk likes this.
    09-30-16 03:30 PM
    Fair enough, I apologise I clearly didn't read your post carefully enough and that's my fault.
    09-30-16 03:34 PM
    Sux .... Even with all the tools handed to him, Chen can't build a phone and make a profit while other phone makers do.

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's �� largest network.
    Yeah. Lol.
    09-30-16 04:50 PM

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's 🌎 largest network.
    Yeah. Lol.
    09-30-16 04:50 PM

Posted via CrackBerry App for Android on America's �� largest network.
    Tools? He was handed a poisoned chalice.
    It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did
    09-30-16 05:05 PM
    Tools? He was handed a poisoned chalice.
    It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did
    Dramatic much, he was handed a great company prospective with holes to plug in finance and BB10 and he still came up with the same old crap hardware that couldn't set a match alight let alone the market. So he thought Android on even worse hardware would work loo.

Some CEO, go back my posts, whilst most on Crack were still raving on about this saviour early on I was pointing out the signs he would fail, all these years later he still has not even learnt BB past on how it got to where it was when he took over, Jesus the guy dismissed PB when it was still in support and on the website, and dismissed them owners. Crazy.
    09-30-16 07:43 PM
    Dramatic much, he was handed a great company prospective with holes to plug in finance and BB10 and he still came up with the same old crap hardware that couldn't set a match alight let alone the market. So he thought Android on even worse hardware would work loo.

Some CEO, go back my posts, whilst most on Crack were still raving on about this saviour early on I was pointing out the signs he would fail, all these years later he still has not even learnt BB past on how it got to where it was when he took over, Jesus the guy dismissed PB when it was still in support and on the website, and dismissed them owners. Crazy.
    The holes were much too large to plug. The market had spoken by that time and there was nothing they or he was going to do, no matter what people think. The regular season was over, the playoffs were starting, and BlackBerry wasn't even a wild card team.
    09-30-16 08:02 PM
    Blackberry have been making their phones the way some automotive biggies have made electric cars: timidly and almost apologetically.
    They operate very conservatively overall. Which is why unlike Palm, for example, failure in phones did not kill them. They've banked their profits. But then it takes those profits and some long term vision and luck to develop something unique that commands a premium and leads a part of the market.

Early days for BB were quite different from what I have read. They took chances, saw trends coming before the competition, and cleverly manipulated the market, their competitors and at times partners.

GWooster likes this.
    10-01-16 01:06 AM
    So BlackBerry handset didn't bloom because their Lack of Apps.
    Why didn't BlackBerry paid to Developers for developing popular social apps, Banking apps, Office apps.??

Because may be John Chen didn't thought for consumers who rule the smartphone market rather then the corporates and Govt. Or medical sectors. He thought people over these sectors doesn't need snapchat, instagram, and more. If he had concentrated more on developing apps for bb10 and advertise ' Look we have all the apps and the most secure OS ' things might been different. I won't say it would be game changer but it would be a good move.

They don't have to build 2/3 phones every year running #BB10, One phone a Year with bb10 with continues update and lots of common apps, and good marketing and advertising would have let them in handset business.

BlackBerry didn't kept patience enough to trust their own strong hold. Chen came, saw loosing money on bb10, he said lets go Android. He thought be going android people would jump over BlackBerry as they have android. Soon they saw Android venture failed they came out and announce of Handset division done for.

Posted via CB10
    10-01-16 04:26 AM
585 ... 1415161718 ...