They could have skipped the announcement and no one would have really noticed. Such a sad end, but illustrative of those that fail to compete in a competent manner. Nokia, now BB. WindowsPhone is next (as if that platform even matters).
    09-29-16 05:44 PM
    Well i believe there was a point in time (early this year) where HTC was valued at less then the cash on hand they actually had. Meaning you would come out ahead of you bought them. I would call that a failure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I don't think anyone is saying that HTC is a huge success. I certainly am not. What I am saying is BlackBerry would have loved to have failed only as much as HTC has failed. Instead, BlackBerry smashed the record when it comes to failure in the mobile industry. BlackBerry is #1 when it comes to losing money in the smartphone industry. No other smartphone company has ever done what BlackBerry managed to do with BB10. BlackBerry would still be making hardware right now if they had only failed as much as HTC.
    09-29-16 05:51 PM
    I'm guessing this dtek 60 will be the last BlackBerry device we'll see. I can't see any manufacturer wanting to licence it as if there was any doubt about BlackBerry being out of the device business, it's been splashed all over headlines and is now finished in the average users mind.

I have a hard time thinking of any well known company that has lasted this long that so consistently loses control of its message.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 06:21 PM
    I don't think anyone is saying that HTC is a huge success. I certainly am not. What I am saying is BlackBerry would have loved to have failed only as much as HTC has failed. Instead, BlackBerry smashed the record when it comes to failure in the mobile industry. BlackBerry is #1 when it comes to losing money in the smartphone industry. No other smartphone company has ever done what BlackBerry managed to do with BB10. BlackBerry would still be making hardware right now if they had only failed as much as HTC.
    I was never talking about BB10. Someone said HTC hadn't done well and someone kept asking them to prove that HTC has lost billion on android. Not sure what the number they have lost on the balance sheet is but valuation wise they sure have.

09-29-16 07:15 PM
    Are you sure about that? Microsoft has been in mobile since Windows CE around 2003... If I had to bet money, I'd say Microsoft has lost more.
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    09-29-16 07:45 PM
    Are you sure about that? Microsoft has been in mobile since Windows CE around 2003... If I had to bet money, I'd say Microsoft has lost more.
    Yeah, I think you're right. Microsoft has almost certainly spent/lost more money on this stuff.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-29-16 07:51 PM
    I'm guessing this dtek 60 will be the last BlackBerry device we'll see.
    It's not really a Blackberry device, it's an Alcatel. The last Hardware made by Blackberry was the Priv
    09-29-16 08:46 PM
    Your right, I neant to say was that the 60 would be the last device with a BlackBerry logo on it.

I hope not, but it doesn't look good to me.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 10:25 PM
    Your right, I neant to say was that the 60 would be the last device with a BlackBerry logo on it.

I hope not, but it doesn't look good to me.

Posted via CB10
    No, there could be more technically-fake-but-legally-licensed phones with the BB logo on them, assuming some manufacturers decide that logo is still worth paying good money for. It's like the adage 'be careful what you wish for, it might just come true'. So 2-3 years from now, I would rather be using a 'vintage' BB10 device than have to watch a bunch of new so-called Blackberries that are just cheaper clones of Samsung/Mi devices.
    09-30-16 01:50 AM
    So is it still worth buying the Priv?
    Never was "worth" the price they wanted unless you were willing to pay an extra $100 to $150 for an Android phone with worse specs than the nexus 6p, in order to get a subpar (to former blackberrys) physical keyboard.

blackmass likes this.
    09-30-16 02:16 AM
    It's not as though I didn't see this coming and yet it doesn't feel any less a betrayal.
    Blackberry have been making their phones the way some automotive biggies have made electric cars: timidly and almost apologetically. It would've taken a bold leader who combines a deep love for the product/s with keen business acumen, someone like Elon Musk perhaps, to have taken Blackberry along a linear path to success. I believe that companies bear the imprint of their CEOs' personalities, and while John Chen is probably courageous, he does not come across as a bold risk taker. Practicality & security are what Chen brings to the table (and I don't mean technological security), but tech companies with pathbreaking products need a bold lets-take-them-on approach which would have required a different kind of person. I know, there's a thin line between boldness and foolishness, but there must be people who are able not to cross that line.
    anon(3641385) and southlander like this.
    09-30-16 02:27 AM
    I think we need to stop leaning on this excuse. This excuse of "if they only advertised better things would be different". The issues around BlackBerry's bad marketing surely didn't help, but really the issue is that BB10 was probably about two years too late coming to market. If a BB10 phone had come out in 2011 instead of the PlayBook, things might have been different.
    Had they started their marketing campaign couple years back BlackBerry would be in a better condition today in terms of hardware. Look at it however you may, but it's not an excuse. It's a fact.

Posted via CB10
    GWooster likes this.
    09-30-16 02:31 AM
    Wonder if they found a buyer? As of last year Lenovo tech support in US was answered by IBM, parts came form IBM. For desktops anyway.
    BTW- don't buy one of their desktops if think you might ever add something. Motherboard connections and power supply are proprietary. The slots are standard, but if daughter boards needs any additional connections, or power, your'e SOL.
    09-30-16 05:43 AM
    BlackBerry made all the local and national new channels the day the news came out I guess everybody likes Bad news maybe someone will write a song The Day The Berry Died .
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    09-30-16 06:46 AM
    I like the idea of that, a song called: the day that Berry died.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    09-30-16 06:55 AM
    They'll sub out manufacturing of devices to 3rd parties?

Seriously, who would want the job? Who is going to tool up to make and sell a handful of an already obsolete device?
    09-30-16 07:29 AM
    Had they started their marketing campaign couple years back BlackBerry would be in a better condition today in terms of hardware. Look at it however you may, but it's not an excuse. It's a fact.

Posted via CB10
    It's an opinion, not a fact. For all you know BBRY might be in exactly the same condition now but millions poorer.

They'll sub out manufacturing of devices to 3rd parties?

Seriously, who would want the job? Who is going to tool up to make and sell a handful of an already obsolete device?
    It's not clear just exactly what BBRY will provide. Some security updates or leave all to Google? Some special apps that will tie into their projected enterprise software? Or just their name and then "You're on your own buddy"? Hopefully this becomes clear sooner rather than later.
    09-30-16 07:52 AM
    I like the idea of that, a song called: the day that Berry died.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    09-30-16 08:29 AM
    Read this please.....

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/29/bl...ource=Facebook

BB10 whilst waiting.....
    09-30-16 08:51 AM
    Here we go......
    Well in that person's defence, literally every time Chen speaks, he sends mixed messages and doesn't get his message across clearly. This leads to doom and gloom headlines by every media outlet and tech blog followed by interviews with BNN and Bloomberg for him to "clarify" what he meant along with 30 tweets from BlackBerry to ensure people got what the message should have been. It happens every single time he talks.

GWooster likes this.
    09-30-16 09:27 AM
    Well in that person's defence, literally every time Chen speaks, he sends mixed messages and doesn't get his message across clearly. This leads to doom and gloom headlines by every media outlet and tech blog followed by interviews with BNN and Bloomberg for him to "clarify" what he meant along with 30 tweets from BlackBerry to ensure people got what the message should have been. It happens every single time he talks.

On the upside this is probably the last time the media will go on about the end of handsets. I wonder how confused people will be when the stories of the DTEK60 drop in a few weeks.
    GWooster likes this.
    09-30-16 09:39 AM
    On the upside this is probably the last time the media will go on about the end of handsets. I wonder how confused people will be when the stories of the DTEK60 drop in a few weeks.
    Or potential follow up devices with a BlackBerry logo assuming they get more licence deals?

09-30-16 09:58 AM
    Nice post.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black...source=twitter

Last edited by ray689; 09-30-16 at 10:18 AM.
    anon(9353145) likes this.
    09-30-16 10:05 AM
    Or potential follow up devices with a BlackBerry logo assuming they get more licence deals?

Indeed. And I still hope Chen allows the Mercury to proceed.
    09-30-16 10:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    Like this?

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.co...e-new-campaign
    stlabrat likes this.
    09-30-16 10:37 AM
585 ... 1314151617 ...