they better find some way to make money (amazon by selling ads and cloud, sammy by components and cheap in house logistic, apple by ecosystem and cloud... all are on-going income. BB use to be the 5 dollar subscription fee.... was not jumped on cloud soon enough to get it going... once the server farm gone after the bbos7, it is hard to come by again. Google's server farm and optical fiber network is much to be admired). I am looking forward to see HTC's way to make "on going" income... BB10 bet on full control of hardware and software, the lost is a series of mistakes plus the carrier do not like the compression technology when they are sell by data usage (like iphone), they definitely do not like folk over 5 dollar over monthly... Plus the incentive apple provide, game play is not that much leveled. (apple also has problem deal with carrier - that is why the apple store is born... carrier don't have minimum qty to sell in the deal making for sammy or others, so droid got pushed front and center). Best wishes for HTC. (some of the industry design is nice... antenna, performance can use a bit improvement... how to make money? different story... just like bb, with 70% of your components from your competitor - sammy, it got be tough to handle).
    That was a long response that didn't answer my question.

Has HTC lost billions of dollars because of their Android devices? Yes or no?

Say whatever you want about HTC and their Android devices, but NOTHING in mobile has ever been as big of a failure as BB10 has. Nothing!

BB10 never made BlackBerry a single cent of profit.
    09-29-16 11:38 AM
    Nothing surprising really. Had BlackBerry spent some money on advertising instead of keeping their phones in the shadows then maybe the outcome would've been different. Seriously, who even knows BlackBerry phones still exist? Lol

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 11:54 AM
    I was so bummed out by the news that I went into a momentary funk! Then I took action. I talked to a guy at Blackberry and after some back and forth, I bought two Passports to put away. Blackberry is selling their devices for half price on their website. He assured me that they will continue to support the OS. So silly to be so attached to a 'phone' but I've been with Blackberry from day one--including in a government test group in 2001 when the device was only email from the desktop. I LOVE my Passport for all of the reasons it was designed. Guess I'm 'getting old' and don't like change! LOL!!! I simply love my Passport and don't want anything else... Sad, sad day...
    09-29-16 12:12 PM
    That was a long response that didn't answer my question.

Say whatever you want about HTC and their Android devices, but NOTHING in mobile has ever been as big of a failure as BB10 has. Nothing!

BB10 never made BlackBerry a single cent of profit.
    Well i believe there was a point in time (early this year) where HTC was valued at less then the cash on hand they actually had. Meaning you would come out ahead of you bought them. I would call that a failure.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-29-16 12:15 PM
    To be fair, their losses have been in the millions, not billions. They'll post profitable quarters, then post loss quarters, then profitable, then loss. Overall they're losing money, but not in the billions.
    Witmen likes this.
    09-29-16 12:27 PM
    Well i believe there was a point in time (early this year) where HTC was valued at less then the cash on hand they actually had. Meaning you would come out ahead of you bought them. I would call that a failure.

Yet here they are still building phones.
    I'm sure Blackberry would have liked that sort of failure
    Witmen likes this.
    09-29-16 01:26 PM
    I was so bummed out by the news that I went into a momentary funk! Then I took action. I talked to a guy at Blackberry and after some back and forth, I bought two Passports to put away. Blackberry is selling their devices for half price on their website. He assured me that they will continue to support the OS. So silly to be so attached to a 'phone' but I've been with Blackberry from day one--including in a government test group in 2001 when the device was only email from the desktop. I LOVE my Passport for all of the reasons it was designed. Guess I'm 'getting old' and don't like change! LOL!!! I simply love my Passport and don't want anything else... Sad, sad day...
    This post I like!

No denial of the reality. Instant acceptance. Positive action in response.

I never saw the appeal of the Passport myself, but you've gotta go with your heart!

I'm actually slightly saddened in that I don't think the Mercury will ever be produced. it would have been nicely symbolic to have the last BB-designed phone on the same shelf as my first BB, an 8800.
    09-29-16 01:35 PM
    This post I like!

I never saw the appeal of the Passport myself, but you've gotta go with your heart!

I'm actually slightly saddened in that I don't think the Mercury will ever be produced. it would have been nicely symbolic to have the last BB-designed phone on the same shelf as my first BB, an 8800.
    They should end the way they came in: PKB baby! I might even tweet Chen something to that effect! (not a big social media person).

Passport is a polarizing device - you either absolutely love it or think it's a piece of ----. Oddly, I've noticed quite a few iPhone users that were drawn to the Passport (like myself). I dunno what to make of that, but I still have it and still love the form factor. Such a beautiful piece of hardware, imo.
    JeepBB and Uzi like this.
    09-29-16 01:39 PM
    Yes, I read of the Passport being described as a "Marmite device" - you either loved it, or hated it... absolutely no middle ground.

For the record, I hate Marmite.
    09-29-16 01:47 PM
    This post I like!

I hav often observed this, the women r quite practical when it comes to devices.
    For us men on the other hand it's like the world will fall apart if v dont perform a multivariate analysis on our device & its making & its software its storage &.....

TgeekB likes this.
    09-29-16 01:51 PM
    Yet here they are still building phones.
    I'm sure Blackberry would have liked that sort of failure
    So what if theh are still making phones. How do you consider that it a failure exactly? Now with that said, google probably just saved them with handing the new Pixel devices over to them.
    But if you consider a company being valued at less then the cash they have a success or not a failure then we ha e different definitions of both.

stlabrat likes this.
    09-29-16 01:51 PM
    Yes, I read of the Passport being described as a "Marmite device" - you either loved it, or hated it... absolutely no middle ground.

For the record, I hate Marmite.
    Aha, and for the record, I really love Marmite on bread and crackers, no lie! Mmmmm, salty, tangy yeast!

Maybe BlackBerry's tagline should for the Mercury should be: You'll either love it, or hate it.
    09-29-16 02:10 PM
    So what if theh are still making phones. How do you consider that it a failure exactly? Now with that said, google probably just saved them with handing the new Pixel devices over to them.
    But if you consider a company being valued at less then the cash they have a success or not a failure then we ha e different definitions of both.

When are you looking at?
    From what i've seen it's the opposite
    09-29-16 02:10 PM
    09-29-16 02:35 PM
    This post I like!

Okay, so I actually created a Twitter account (I put my money where my mouth is, hah) and tweeted Chen.

https://twitter.com/ReaneyDay/status/781576557223669761

If you're truly saddened, give him a tweet and encourage him to let BlackBerry exit the way they came in, with a QWERTY / PKB.

Anyone else that wants to encourage him not to take the Mercury 'out behind the woodshed' (as CGK eloquently put it), let him know.
    09-29-16 02:37 PM
    Wait so for the licensing model, BlackBerry won't be doing software support either?

It's all on the oem?

#workwide #OG Black
    09-29-16 02:49 PM
    Nothing surprising really. Had BlackBerry spent some money on advertising instead of keeping their phones in the shadows then maybe the outcome would've been different. Seriously, who even knows BlackBerry phones still exist? Lol

Posted via CB10
    I think we need to stop leaning on this excuse. This excuse of "if they only advertised better things would be different". The issues around BlackBerry's bad marketing surely didn't help, but really the issue is that BB10 was probably about two years too late coming to market. If a BB10 phone had come out in 2011 instead of the PlayBook, things might have been different.
    09-29-16 03:03 PM
    I think we need to stop leaning on this excuse. This excuse of "if they only advertised better things would be different". The issues around BlackBerry's bad marketing surely didn't help, but really the issue is that BB10 was probably about two years too late coming to market. If a BB10 phone had come out in 2011 instead of the PlayBook, things might have been different.
    Even then... The elephants in the room - Apple and Samsung - have massive advertising budgets and a footprint in more than just mobile.

Would David had won if he'd had to face off between two Goliaths? I think once the biggies decided to get in the game, the handwriting was on the wall unfortunately. Even if BlackBerry hadn't made as many mistakes as they did along the way.
    JeepBB, TgeekB and GadgetTravel like this.
    09-29-16 03:34 PM
    Wait so for the licensing model, BlackBerry won't be doing software support either?

It's all on the oem?

#workwide #OG Black
    Yep, I want to know the answer to this question as well.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    09-29-16 03:36 PM
    The tweet from BlackBerry makes it appear there will still be new (models) Blackberry phones hitting the market, only that they will not be physically making them.

"#FYI, you’ll still see new secure Android phones from #BlackBerry. Our licensed partners will be making them." - from the tweet I posted above.
    09-29-16 03:47 PM
    When are you looking at?
    From what i've seen it's the opposite
    Try looking at all of 2015. Actually the person who said they lost billions isn't even that far off. I see 2 quarter with around 250 million in loses. Their revenues dropped 64% and valuation fell below their $1.5 billion cash on hand.

09-29-16 03:59 PM

It's BlackBerry's version of Android so I would imagine they will be supporting it with updates.

09-29-16 04:02 PM
    My local news station was even talking about it, and was showing pictures of old BlackBerry's...etc..they were having the other reporters and staff to share memories about their old BlackBerry's. I mean it was pretty cool hearing BlackBerry on the news in the US, but for unfortunate reasons lol...I just kept waiting to them to say "They are, however going to have someone else make their phones now." Of course they didn't.
    09-29-16 04:14 PM

John Chen gives you your answer of how this will work:

we have nothing to do with the JV, we are not part of the JV. We are licensing our technology and brand to this JV.

The JV was set up - the JV partners are not only the distributors of telcos and the telephone companies in - a number of them by the way is just led by this particular organization called Tiphone, which is the largest I guess holding - holders of the JV.

The JV is actually an Indonesian entity, developed and put together by them, specifically focused on BlackBerry and distributing BlackBerry handset in Indonesia. All we did was we licensed this JV our brand and the - and all the software. So that�s number one. Before I move on that that�s clear, right, I mean, okay. So therefore it�s definitely above the line not below the line because we are no partner to JV.

When you buy your box shifter limited blackberry branded phone looks like its between you and then.
    09-29-16 04:42 PM
    My local news station was even talking about it, and was showing pictures of old BlackBerry's...etc..they were having the other reporters and staff to share memories about their old BlackBerry's. I mean it was pretty cool hearing BlackBerry on the news in the US, but for unfortunate reasons lol...I just kept waiting to them to say "They are, however going to have someone else make their phones now." Of course they didn't.
    Can you mention what news channel it was and what city? I wouldn't mind seeing that.
    09-29-16 05:32 PM
585 ... 1213141516 ...