Guys you are mistaken. Internal parts are not built specially for the oems in the android world. Qualcomm sells no matter what like sony camera sensors. You are talking as if BlackBerry would be the only one buying the components.
    09-28-16 12:08 PM
    Not true. Sd820 is produced for a LOT of oems.
    How many OEMs use physical keyboards, square screens, slider mechanisms, trackpads, and all the other esoteric BlackBerry stuff?

Unless you plan on churning out generic slabs.
    09-28-16 12:09 PM
    I'm talking about things like the keyboards and screens
    Prices for the screens. One part.

https://www.aliexpress.com/price/jdi-screen_price.html

Keyboard I don't know though. Well don't make me build my phone. )).
    09-28-16 12:11 PM
    Priv probably would have reached 1 mil if it had non quality issues, and abetter front cam. If I am not mistaken it hit 600k.

By the way nice read.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/samsungs-799-...6-plus-1883402
    You mean the reported 600k devices sold last quarter? That's not exclusively for Priv sales only.

🔥 📶
    09-28-16 12:11 PM
    Guys you are mistaken. Internal parts are not built specially for the oems in the android world. Qualcomm sells no matter what like sony camera sensors. You are talking as if BlackBerry would be the only one buying the components.
    Mate you're talking about building a niche device that uses niche parts...
    09-28-16 12:12 PM
    Mate you're talking about building a niche device that uses niche parts...
    Just the keyboard being niche.
    09-28-16 12:13 PM
    Not true. Sd820 is produced for a LOT of oems.
    Parts aren't priced by how many total they sell to every OEM collectively. They're priced by how many they make for you specifically. If company A orders 20mil, then company B orders 1mil, company B is still going to pay significantly more per unit than company A.
    09-28-16 12:13 PM
    Prices for the screens. One part.

https://www.aliexpress.com/price/jdi-screen_price.html

Keyboard I don't know though. Well don't make me build my phone. )).
    Are you joking....

Ok let me look at that link though. Is a 5 inch screened device with dedicated PKB going to sell?
    09-28-16 12:14 PM
    Just the keyboard being niche.
    and the screen....
    plus various other components used to make sure the device works smoothly
    09-28-16 12:15 PM
    Are you joking....

Ok let me look at that link though. Is a 5 inch screened device with dedicated PKB going to sell?
    Well a squared shaped screen phone with no app which happens to have a dedicated keyboard did pretty well.
    09-28-16 12:16 PM
    Love the hate though. I just love the Internet. By the way I work as a decision maker in a manufacturing plant. Which is pretty big by the way. So believe me I am not joking about this .
    09-28-16 12:16 PM
    Parts aren't priced by how many total they sell to every OEM collectively. They're priced by how many they make for you specifically. If company A orders 20mil, then company B orders 1mil, company B is still going to pay significantly more per unit than company A.
    Thank you, finally. Bloke most think that mobile parts are mass-produced and sit in a warehouse. In an industry where generational refresh is annual, no parts manufacturer would survive. Surplus parts mean a writedown, and generally an expensive one.
    darkehawke, cgk and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 12:17 PM
    Guys, I am talking about 900 $. That would at least break you even. Internals would cost not more than 450 $. One phone so one team is enough. If they could earn 100 $ that would make it 100.000.000

I am targeting the niche. I don't need to price it competitively. I just need 1 million niche, hipster, businessmen and people like me around the world.
    I think that's exactly what Blackberry was trying with the Passport (trying with BB10) and Priv (trying with Android) and both failed to met the numbers it seems. So we are now with rebranded Alcatels trying it again
    darkehawke likes this.
    09-28-16 12:17 PM
    Well a squared shaped screen phone with no app which happens to have a dedicated keyboard did pretty well.
    What are you talking about now?
    What does that have to do with building low volumes of nice products

And no the passport didnt do well,
    it did better then expected but it was never expected to do much.
    If it had done well then Blackberry wouldnt have reached this point

Also it didnt have a 5inch screen...
    09-28-16 12:18 PM
    What are you talking about now?
    What does that have to do with building low volumes of nice products

And no the passport didnt do well,
    it did better then expected but it was never expected to do much.
    If it had done well then Blackberry wouldnt have reached this point
    You are stating your own opinion.
    I am stating mine with numbers.

If BlackBerry Passport had all the apps (android or fantasy bb10 with billion apps) and note 7 specs. I bet you could have found at LEAST 5 million unit sales. I am amused by the hatred. What is wrong about making some guesses?

Passport did pretty decent if you look at the facts I just said. Heck, I bet you would buy the one I produce.
    09-28-16 12:23 PM
    More than double price?
    09-28-16 12:24 PM
    BlackBerry stopped selling hardware a long time ago, they just hadn't admitted it to themselves.
    09-28-16 12:28 PM
    Thank you, finally. Bloke most think that mobile parts are mass-produced and sit in a warehouse. In an industry where generational refresh is annual, no parts manufacturer would survive. Surplus parts mean a writedown, and generally an expensive one.
    Well, let's see. Sony htc LG and most other smartphone oems release their phones near mwc or ifa right? The lead times are pretty much the same for them. So if you order during the same time frame I don't see any reason to see triple the price for a million orders. These are my experiences though.
    09-28-16 12:28 PM
    Are they gonna release Dtek60 or is it cancelled?
    09-28-16 12:29 PM
    And yet at least two things will continue to happen.
    1) People will try to read between the lines to try and convince themselves that BB is still sort of making phones
    2) People will still post up, asking when the next BB with a PKB is being released
    3) People will still post asking when is BB 10.3.3 is coming.
    anon(9353145) and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 12:31 PM
    You are stating your own opinion.
    I am stating mine with numbers.

If BlackBerry Passport had all the apps (android or fantasy bb10 with billion apps) and note 7 specs. I bet you could have found at LEAST 5 million unit sales. I am amused by the hatred. What is wrong about making some guesses?

Passport did pretty decent if you look at the facts I just said. Heck, I bet you would buy the one I produce.
    What facts

Mate I'm not hating, I'm pointing out that you have some sort of simplified view on the revenue it would take to build such devices. Yes it is guesses you're using, but Blackberry cant afford to guess anymore.

In regards to the Passport, I doubt it'd have sold 5 million. Maybe it would have done better, but not that much better.
    And what facts about the passport are you talking about?
    There are no facts in regards to figures sold in total. Blackberry has never released those figures...
    09-28-16 12:32 PM
    Well, let's see. Sony htc LG and most other smartphone oems release their phones near mwc or ifa right? The lead times are pretty much the same for them. So if you order during the same time frame I don't see any reason to see triple the price for a million orders. These are my experiences though.
    The OEMs would have placed their orders well in advance.
    What you're saying is not the way the industry works
    09-28-16 12:33 PM
    What facts

Mate I'm not hating, I'm pointing out that you have some sort of simplified view on the revenue it would take to build such devices. Yes it is guesses you're using, but Blackberry cant afford to guess anymore.

In regards to the Passport, I doubt it'd have sold 5 million. Maybe it would have done better, but not that much better.
    And what facts about the passport are you talking about?
    There are no facts in regards to figures sold in total. Blackberry has never released those figures...
    Just tell me honestly, if I release a BlackBerry PKB flagship on par with Note 7, S7 or iPhone) you get the point). Would you pay 900 $ bucks?

Well forget it. BlackBerry is done. New phones won't even be released beyond Indonesia. It was fun though.

Cheers!
    Last edited by ardakca; 09-28-16 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Naaah
    09-28-16 12:35 PM
    Iphone costs 280 to make apart from r and d and design. Just all the components. I doubled the price roughly because I won't be building them in bulk. Educated guesses.
    Lol. Do you understand the fact that what Apple, Samsung etc...pay for components isn't the same? Discounts come in for larger quantities and due to brand power prices are negotiated further down. Even the quality of component and timelines of delivery are affected.

Its not that easy mate.
    TGR1 and MikeX74 like this.
    09-28-16 12:37 PM
    Well at first I thought they were announcing the outsourcing of their phones but that globe article points to them pretty much not selling phones at all...and I think I read something about licensing their physical keyboard out as well...

#whatisclassic
    09-28-16 12:37 PM
585 ... 678910 ...