Well BB10 made over 1 mil in a year. It would be easier for BlackBerry to figure out.
    Did it? I'd like to see that statement please

Unfortunately business is not as simple as that...
    09-28-16 11:37 AM
    Did it? I'd like to see that statement please

Unfortunately business is not as simple as that...
    Statement coming right up.

http://n4bb.com/blackberry-sold-7-million-devices-2014/
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    09-28-16 11:39 AM
    Why not produce the amount the market needs? Stable income.
    But income doesn't equal profit - and all the signs are that the amount of people who need a keyboard isn't profitable.
    09-28-16 11:39 AM
    Why not produce the amount the market needs? Stable income.
    Because it costs more to build in smaller quantities. The demand is low enough that the profit is negligible and not worth the resources or the expense if you want to price the device competitively. If you manufacture less of them to match the demand, to see a profit, you'd need to either raise the price (BB isn't exactly known for friendly price points as it is), or produce and sell a lot more of them.
    darkehawke and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 11:41 AM
    you do understand the "internals" for the priv and bb10 devices are pretty much optimized just the same as dteks and such. All are common off the shelf components....
    using same set of components of two handsets do not equal to both are optimized. components are like violin, designer like the player, there are a lot of optimization can be utilized, especially when you deal with multiple transmission std... just check the battery and data usage of old BB set compare to the iphone initially... hardware and software optimization is an art, very few can get both right or coupled correctly... (part of the reason that droid is such a bloat ware... getting better, but still bloat fish type.. .). wait until 5G come out... they high frequency and high speed will really differentiate good design from the bad... the on board design may be so bad that some of the lower end design house might got more problem than now...
    09-28-16 11:43 AM
    Would BlackBerry under Mike/Jim or Thorsten Heins be having a Q2 fiscal 2017 earnings report?
    No, I think someone would be enjoying BlackBerry patents and TCL Would still be making BlackBerry's because they Purchased the Name in the big sell off of 2014.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 11:44 AM
    Because it costs more to build in smaller quantities. The demand is low enough that the profit is negligible and not worth the resources or the expense if you want to price the device competitively. If you manufacture less of them to match the demand, to see a profit, you'd need to either raise the price (BB isn't exactly known for friendly price points as it is), or produce and sell a lot more of them.
    And that's not taking into account the fact that people who bought pkb before may have abandoned the form factor in the mean time.
    And that some people bought multiple pkb devices
    And that some people will not upgrade their phone while their current one works

basically, there is no way to tell what number is needed
    09-28-16 11:45 AM
    Guys, I am talking about 900 $. That would at least break you even. Internals would cost not more than 450 $. One phone so one team is enough. If they could earn 100 $ that would make it 100.000.000

I am targeting the niche. I don't need to price it competitively. I just need 1 million niche, hipster, businessmen and people like me around the world.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-28-16 11:46 AM
    Guys, I am talking about 900 $. That would at least break you even. Internals would cost not more than 450 $. One phone so one team is enough. If they could earn 100 $ that would make it 100.000.000
    And where are you getting your internal components figure from?
    09-28-16 11:47 AM
    Well.... I cant say this is unexpected and I really do feel for the remaining employees that have to go through this process.

Having said that....KARMA IS A BEAUTIFUL THING. After being burned so badly with my 3 playbooks and invested my money in a product that we were lied about from the start they had this coming to them....
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-28-16 11:48 AM
    Iphone costs 280 to make apart from r and d and design. Just all the components. I doubled the price roughly because I won't be building them in bulk. Educated guesses.
    09-28-16 11:51 AM
    And that's not taking into account the fact that people who bought pkb before may have abandoned the form factor in the mean time.
    And that some people bought multiple pkb devices
    And that some people will not upgrade their phone while their current one works

basically, there is no way to tell what number is needed
    Yeah there are some Passport owners that have bought enough to last their lifetime... just not sure current LTE standards will be in operation that long.
    09-28-16 11:52 AM

I am targeting the niche. I don't need to price it competitively. I just need 1 million niche, hipster, businessmen and people like me around the world.
    The cost of parts/internals is only a fraction of the cost. You've got to pay for R&D, manufacturing, shipping, support, manufacturer warranty, etc.. etc.. none of which come free. Plus, in order to get the raw parts cost down to a respectably inexpensive level, you have to buy a lot of them, and probably significantly more than you'd need for a smaller production run just to meet the low demand.
    09-28-16 11:54 AM
    People complain about the move to Android. But they now actually have something to licence! That would not have occurred had they still been stuck on BB10.

They have actually rescued value in their device technologies.
    Amen!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 11:54 AM
    And where are you getting your internal components figure from?
    More important, where is he getting the million people that would buy a $900 phone every year.... They couldn't sell a $700 phone to their niche, so I find it hard to belive that there are that many willing to buy one at $900.
    Tsepz_GP and 21stNow like this.
    09-28-16 11:57 AM
    Yeah there are some Passport owners that have bought enough to last their lifetime... just not sure current LTE standards will be in operation that long.
    Also the devices themselves are reliant on Blackberry servers for some of the hardware. If they shut down well....
    09-28-16 11:58 AM
    Priv probably would have reached 1 mil if it had non quality issues, and abetter front cam. If I am not mistaken it hit 600k.

By the way nice read.
    http://www.ibtimes.com/samsungs-799-...6-plus-1883402
    09-28-16 12:00 PM
    Iphone costs 280 to make apart from r and d and design. Just all the components. I doubled the price roughly because I won't be building them in bulk. Educated guesses.
    Yeah Apple buy in bulk and can call upon supplier deals

Bear in mind, Apple are using parts that have been pre ordered and are being made.

You're talking about asking a company to ask suppliers to manufacture a small number of components especially for them.

Thats going to cost a hell of a lot
    09-28-16 12:01 PM
    Also the devices themselves are reliant on Blackberry servers for some of the hardware. If they shut down well....
    I know that BlackBerry infrastructure is deeply embedded in the OS, like that widespread proximity sensor bug that turned out to be a misconfigured calibration server. BBM and BIS are the big ones when it comes to stuff BlackBerry runs, though.
    09-28-16 12:01 PM
    The cost of parts/internals is only a fraction of the cost. You've got to pay for R&D, manufacturing, shipping, support, manufacturer warranty, etc.. etc.. none of which come free. Plus, in order to get the raw parts cost down to a respectably inexpensive level, you have to buy a lot of them, and probably significantly more than you'd need for a smaller production run just to meet the low demand.
    That's why I doubled the price of internals. Shipping and packaging 1 million units wouldn't cost that much. One team is enough for one phone. Again I am not competing. I am addressing the niche. Before exiting the hardware I would definitely try that.

https://www.quora.com/How-much-does-...e-a-smartphone

Ex BlackBerry employee.

By the way R&D for software is still there. So please don't add that up.
    09-28-16 12:02 PM
    That's why I doubled the price of internals. Shipping and packaging 1 million units wouldn't cost that much. One team is enough for one phone. Again I am not competing. I am addressing the niche. Before exiting the hardware I would definitely try that.
    You'd probably need to more then double that price though
    Addressing a niche is far more costly then addressing the masses

From a business point of view, I'd say it would be a massively stupid thing to do
    09-28-16 12:05 PM
    I think we all saw this coming. In many ways it is similar to IBM. For those old enough to remember, there were PC's (only made by IBM) then there were "clones". Eventually the clones eroded IBM's market share to the point where they left the hardware market and concentrated on software and consulting. They're still a very profitable company today, but "meh", as they say.
    If you look at the ultra competitive handset market currently, I wouldn't want to be in the space either. Many thought Apple would dominate forever, similar to how Motorola RAZR and BB did back in the day, but now all the Asian manufactures are dominating....Samsung, etc. Apple's smartphone market share will start to plummet real soon if you understand the space and with much better competitive products in the market today, they are gonna suffer big time and it's already started.
    09-28-16 12:05 PM
    Yeah Apple buy in bulk and can call upon supplier deals

Bear in mind, Apple are using parts that have been pre ordered and are being made.

You're talking about asking a company to ask suppliers to manufacture a small number of components especially for them.

Thats going to cost a hell of a lot
    Not true. Sd820 is produced for a LOT of oems.
    09-28-16 12:06 PM

I would buy one. We can dream...
    09-28-16 12:06 PM
    Not true. Sd820 is produced for a LOT of oems.
    I'm talking about things like the keyboards and screens
    09-28-16 12:07 PM
585 ... 56789 ...