Not surprised to hear this news today, but still sad when it actually happens.

Posted via CB10
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-28-16 07:59 AM
    So what is external hardware development? "Say, do you have any new smartphone designs you are working on that we can rebrand?"
    09-28-16 08:00 AM
    it lacks some security features which makes a difference to some people and worth the extra $100
    So you guys think BlackBerry will continue support? For how long? They just shot themselves. Why make this statement? If they plan to release future phones?
    09-28-16 08:01 AM
    So what is external hardware development? "Say, do you have any new smartphone designs you are working on that we can rebrand?"
    I guess they say we need a 500 $ phone what you got?
    09-28-16 08:04 AM
    When they went to Android and reference designs... it was over.

Today's announcement just make it a little more clear.

You will be able to buy future BlackBerry branded hardware (not much different than the DTEK line is now), to begin with it might be Indonesian hardware.... with warranty and support via what ever distribution channel they come up with. (probable just on your own outside of Indonesia).
    FalkirkEagle likes this.
    09-28-16 08:05 AM
    Aka... Catalogue shopping...

Yeah, pretty much as you describe I reckon. BB flip through TCL's catalogue, phone through their order, and the next BB phone is born. LOL
    09-28-16 08:05 AM
    Aka... Catalogue shopping...

Yeah, pretty much as you describe I reckon. BB flip through TCL's catalogue, phone through their order, and the next BB phone is born. LOL
    And that's fine with me. No use trying to reinvent the slab at double the price.
    09-28-16 08:10 AM
    Pepsi makes a phone also

BlackBerry to exit hardware business-gsmarena_0003.jpg
    JeepBB and ardakca like this.
    09-28-16 08:12 AM
    So software is still in house. Any chance we will ever see 10.3.3?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-28-16 08:12 AM

A bunch of builds appeared a short time ago on the BlackBerry production server. I would guess release is imminent.
    09-28-16 08:13 AM
    Conite i respect your experience and opinion, and if you think that it's still business as usual with this indonesian company now designing/developing the BlackBerry's then I have got a lot more confidence in the situation.

Do you think that they will actually design a new 'slab' style specific to BlackBerry, or rather use pre existing slab styles.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    09-28-16 08:17 AM
    Short answer: probably not. All three of those were, unsurprisingly, BlackBerry loyalists... and that meant clinging to the old ways for as long as possible rather than acknowledging the full extent of the situation. Chen strikes me as more of a pragmatist who's willing to swallow some pride in the name of survival.
    Very well put. A business, one on the verge of collapse, is not run on pride. But with balance, checks & compromise.
    Finally the bb10/ WhatsApp/ Facebook issues hav been cleared

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-28-16 08:18 AM
    So has the mercury been canceled?

Posted via CB10 on My BlackBerry Passport SE Running 10.3.2.2876
    09-28-16 08:19 AM
    Bad news...
    No real BB HW anymore...

BlackBerry to exit hardware business-chen2pppp.jpeg
    Tezcatlipoca91 likes this.
    09-28-16 08:19 AM

not really known. Its still possible though
    09-28-16 08:20 AM
    Conite i respect your experience and opinion, and if you think that it's still business as usual with this indonesian company now designing/developing the BlackBerry's then I have got a lot more confidence in the situation.

Do you think that they will actually design a new 'slab' style specific to BlackBerry, or rather use pre existing slab styles.

I don't think they will ever design their own again. They will continue to partner on devices like the DTEK50 (and 60) with companies like TCL.

I am happy with this arrangement, as BlackBerry could never ever produce a device on their own at anywhere near the price.

BlackBerry then concerns themselves with what they do best: the software.
    09-28-16 08:22 AM
    It's sad that BlackBerry didn't release an android phone with a keyboard so they never got to know if there is a niche in the Android hardware business they could fit in.

they misunderstood the lack of success with the PRIV. It didn't fail because of its keyboard, it just failed because it lacked build quality, was totally overpriced and the outdated slider design...

bottom line: I'm 10000% sure that there is a market demand for android physical keyboard phones of about 1 mio devices....

I still hope that they realize that and release a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome phone later this (fiscal) year..

johnsliderbb likes this.
    09-28-16 08:23 AM

Don't see a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome being built... won't be ordered, distributed, supported or warranteed by BlackBerry. But if TCL, Samsung, HTC or Ben and Jerry's or another OEM would like to build a BlackBerry "branded" (and licensed) PKB phone... they are certainly free to do so under BlackBerry's licensing requirements.

Fully expect that the Indonesian group will build a PKB phone... why else license BlackBerry? Just not sure how easy it will be to get outside of Indonesia.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-28-16 08:23 AM
    It's sad that BlackBerry didn't release an android phone with a keyboard so they never got to know if there is a niche in the Android hardware business they could fit in.

they misunderstood the lack of success with the PRIV. It didn't fail because of its keyboard, it just failed because it lacked build quality, was totally overpriced and the outdated slider design...

bottom line: I'm 10000% sure that there is a market demand for android physical keyboard phones of about 1 mio devices....

I still hope that they realize that and release a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome phone later this (fiscal) year..

Yeap.

But I really doubt anyone have a Pkb reference design. .
    09-28-16 08:24 AM
    I'm happy with TCL slabs
    So as far as you're concerned, the demise of PKB is of no significance? That sounds like a rather extreme position, given the history of BlackBerry.

I think you've going to have a hard sell convincing any consumers to pay over the odds for an Android device with dubious security claims. You might sell a few thousand units to some big companies right enough.
    09-28-16 08:25 AM

Will 10.3.3 support a better Android Runtime?

Might sell my priv and go with the passport se.
    09-28-16 08:27 AM
    I don't think they will ever design their own again. They will continue to partner on devices like the DTEK50 (and 60) with companies like TCL.

I am happy with this arrangement, as BlackBerry could never ever produce a device on their own at anywhere near the price.

BlackBerry then concerns themselves with what they do best: the software.
    Thank you. do you think the indonesian's will be able to produce a pkb phone in that case? It doesn't seem so if they're just going to use pre existing slabs.

Or could the indonesian's use BlackBerry's pre existing pkb phones as a source design?

09-28-16 08:27 AM
    So as far as you're concerned, the demise of PKB is of no significance? That sounds like a rather extreme position, given the history of BlackBerry.

I think you've going to have a hard sell convincing any consumers to pay over the odds for an Android device with dubious security claims. You might sell a few thousand units to some big companies right enough.
    I would think the best bet for a future pkb device is through the partnership with the Indonesian company that they announced today.
    09-28-16 08:28 AM
    Don't see a BlackBerry Mercury/Rome being built... won't be ordered, distributed, supported or warranteed by BlackBerry. But if TCL, Samsung, HTC or Ben and Jerry's or another OEM would like to build a BlackBerry "branded" (and licensed) PKB phone... they are certainly free to do so under BlackBerry's licensing requirements.

Fully expect that the Indonesian group will build a PKB phone... why else license BlackBerry? Just not sure how easy it will be to get outside of Indonesia.
    Once someone is licensed to build phones for BlackBerry wouldn't that require them to distribute to all countries and not just Indonesia?
    09-28-16 08:28 AM
    What is this?
    blackmass likes this.
    09-28-16 08:29 AM
585 12345 ...