I've added a (to my eyes) rather strange claim that second and third tier players are interested in BB10.
    I agree. Even if there is a little interest it will die when they find out they would have to use 3 year old chip sets.
    10-02-16 11:54 AM
    The DTEK50/60 fits the description of using 2nd/3rd tier providers for hardware licensing.

Posted via CB10

It doesn't - it's straight forward outsourcing in regards to the Dtek 50/60 - TCL couldn't sell a single unit without being sued. The licensing deal means that beyond the cheque clearing and them meeting the hardline deadlines it's nothing to do with Blackberry.
    10-02-16 12:36 PM
    Pini’s confident about what’s in the pipeline, and says he’s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry’s own BB10 platform in their phones.

Why is this not an Article or News Worthy ANYWHERE?
    10-02-16 12:45 PM
    Pini’s confident about what’s in the pipeline, and says he’s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry’s own BB10 platform in their phones.

Why is this not an Article or News Worthy ANYWHERE?
    Maybe because it's unsubstantiated piffle?

Pini is trying to talk-up interest. No names, no details given... just upbeat words. Words which lose any possible credibility with the "some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry’s own BB10 platform in their phones" nonsense. Only a company intent on self-destruction would licence BB10 for a phone after seeing what it's done to BlackBerry!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-02-16 01:10 PM
    I'm still not 100% convinced about this.
    The DTEK50 is the first phone that would have been outsourced in this way (I mean by using hardware already available by another company).
    Yes, but that's a fairly minor distinction. The Z3 was the first outsourced phone, followed by the Leap, then the DTEKs. The Z3 and Leap were designed by their manufacturer, not by BB - they just weren't available for sale under another name (likely because the S4 Plus SoC was obsolete when they were designed). Anyway, the outsourcing model has been in use since 2014 (with the deals obviously made earlier than that). The big difference is that, even with these outsourced designs, BB was always the CUSTOMER - BB was going to manufacturers and paying those manufacturers to build phones for BB.

With the new licensing model, BB is the VENDOR, and the manufacturers are the customers. Manufacturers have to come to BB and pay for a license. More to the point, all of the risk and responsibility that belonged to BB under the outsourcing model would now belong to the licensees. Licensees are now responsible for identifying a market, acquiring the funding, specing, designing, and building the phone, then handling distribution, marketing, and after-sale support.

That's a huge change, and so manufacturers will have to choose whether to build phones under their own brand names, or to pay extra to make them under the BB name. The only reason to pay for the BB name is because you believe that the brand name will help you sell more phones and/or sell them at a higher price. It remains to be seen if either of those are true.
    10-02-16 01:25 PM
    Who would be considered a second- or third-tier manufacturer?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    10-02-16 01:26 PM
    Who would be considered a second- or third-tier manufacturer?

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Z30
    Alcatel for instance. Foxconn. BLU. List goes on.
    10-02-16 01:30 PM
    I've added a couple of other answers and make corrections based on comments.
    10-02-16 02:09 PM
    It doesn't - it's straight forward outsourcing in regards to the Dtek 50/60 - TCL couldn't sell a single unit without being sued. The licensing deal means that beyond the cheque clearing and them meeting the hardline deadlines it's nothing to do with Blackberry.
    With the DTEK deals, all the costs and risks are with BlackBerry. They might make money, break even or loose money.
    On the other hand, as Chen said about the licensing deals, "they cost us nothing". BlackBerry can only make money on those deals.
    10-02-16 04:34 PM
    The one with the keyboard does not fall in line with your thinking. He says it is done and we are testing it. He just needs to make his mind to release or not. No partner or such is included for this model. That is why I feel enthusiastic about it. Apart from the pkb model all the things you say is %100 correct.
    It's not so much a matter of Chen "making up his mind". It's more that after evaluating the success or failure of the DTEKs, he will know whether or not he has a business case for releasing the Mercury.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    10-02-16 04:42 PM
    With the DTEK deals, all the costs and risks are with BlackBerry. They might make money, break even or loose money.
    On the other hand, as Chen said about the licensing deals, "they cost us nothing". BlackBerry can only make money on those deals.
    Right - but that also means that the licensees now have the risk, and stand to lose money if things don't work out. They also have to find the financing to pay for everything up-front, where before BB did that, and the manufacturer just had to build the stuff BB paid for.

And THAT means that it's likely that manufacturers (such as Foxconn or TCL) who were happy to take BB's money and build phones for them aren't necessarily going to be interested in licensing the name and tech to continue building "BB" phones.
    10-02-16 08:55 PM
    I've added a (to my eyes) rather strange claim that second and third tier players are interested in BB10.
    How so? I have yet to see an Android handset with vanilla Android other than Nexus. All OEMs put their own tweak onto it. Not sure how much money that costs them, but it may be financially worthwhile to go with BBs "secure" Android, have BB maintain the OS, provide the updates (including security patches, if wanted), and so on. For smaller OEMs who do not have the money to maintain both handsets and the constant need to maintain the OS, this may be a way for them to expend their user base[s] while allowing BB to get their name out there and make a few pennies on the side.

As long as BB does not charge an exorbitant amount of money for the licensing fees, this might be a good deal all around. Well, expect for the fanbois.
    10-02-16 10:43 PM
    How so? I have yet to see an Android handset with vanilla Android other than Nexus. All OEMs put their own tweak onto it. Not sure how much money that costs them, but it may be financially worthwhile to go with BBs "secure" Android, have BB maintain the OS, provide the updates (including security patches, if wanted), and so on. For smaller OEMs who do not have the money to maintain both handsets and the constant need to maintain the OS, this may be a way for them to expend their user base[s] while allowing BB to get their name out there and make a few pennies on the side.

As long as BB does not charge an exorbitant amount of money for the licensing fees, this might be a good deal all around. Well, expect for the fanbois.
    Reread what you are quoting - your answer is an answer to a different question.
    10-03-16 12:22 AM
    I've updated the bb10 section with an actual quote.
    10-03-16 12:57 AM
    I'm still not 100% convinced about this.
    The DTEK50 is the first phone that would have been outsourced in this way (I mean by using hardware already available by another company). I would have assumed they would have already known the exit from hardware was a done deal well before releasing this phone and to shift strategy for one or two if you count the DTEK60 doesn't make sense. The Priv was the last BlackBerry designed phone (and possibly the Mercury will become the last, if released, so it can try to take advantage of "end of an era" nostalgia BlackBerry fans.
    The DTEK50/60 fits the description of using 2nd/3rd tier providers for hardware licensing.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I think the dtek 50/60 was BlackBerry's practice run at their non design, software only strategy.

And shows to them that they could probably run this strategy again if they chose.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    10-03-16 01:37 AM
    Alcatel for instance. Foxconn. BLU. List goes on.
    Apart from these names that might produce quality devices, isn't there the risk that the BlackBerry name is ruined by some manufacturer doing half assed phones?

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 05:09 AM
    Apart from these names that might produce quality devices, isn't there the risk that the BlackBerry name is ruined by some manufacturer doing half assed phones?

Posted via CB10
    That is down to BBRY's license with them and how much control they have or want - as the FAQ makes clear, it's entirely possible that they can sell a Blackberry branded phone with no more security than any other cheap android device.
    10-03-16 06:11 AM
    That is down to BBRY's license with them and how much control they have or want - as the FAQ makes clear, it's entirely possible that they can sell a Blackberry branded phone with no more security than any other cheap android device.
    Yeah, I expect those Indonesian phones will be using a bland version of Android that whatever OEM there is already using. I doubt that other than BBM, any of the other BB10 enhancements would have value in that market (as they never adopted BB10 to begin with). And the cost for adding the full Licensing package was probably too high. Think the reason that Chen said they didn't have to buy the whole package... is because the first and only licensee didn't want it. They only wanted the Brand and BBM (probable because of the BBM licensing deal and the expected plans for BBM in that market).

Which then leads to, why would BlackBerry keep developing BB Android if no one is going to be selling it.... Some here just don't pay attention to how BlackBerry ends products... promise, promise, maybe, maybe... it's dead.
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 07:27 AM
  19. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Pini�s confident about what�s in the pipeline, and says he�s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry�s own BB10 platform in their phones. He says BlackBerry will maintain a portfolio in the hyper-competitive US market as well.

Also, you are making some assumptions that are not supported by facts...

Do you KNOW what second and third tier parties are? Facts to support? They have made no comments on who they are in discussions with...

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 07:38 AM
    Great post.

BlackBerry is going the Nokia route. Nokia is now licensing the brand, via HMD Global.

Soo hoping I will see an updated E72....I can dream, can't I.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-16 08:13 AM
    Pini�s confident about what�s in the pipeline, and says he�s seen specifically strong demand from second and third-tier players, some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry�s own BB10 platform in their phones. He says BlackBerry will maintain a portfolio in the hyper-competitive US market as well.

Also, you are making some assumptions that are not supported by facts...

Do you KNOW what second and third tier parties are? Facts to support? They have made no comments on who they are in discussions with...

Posted via CB10
    The issue is with writing drivers for BlackBerry 10 on new hardware though, isn't it? Otherwise I actually could see a second or third tier oem licensing BB10 as a cheaper handset like Tizen.
    10-03-16 08:46 AM
    The issue is with writing drivers for BlackBerry 10 on new hardware though, isn't it? Otherwise I actually could see a second or third tier oem licensing BB10 as a cheaper handset like Tizen.
    So what happens to the snobs on this forum who keep blathering on about "cheap Chinese junk" when a $100 BB10 phone gets released? Do their heads explode?
    10-03-16 09:14 AM
    I can see some second and third tier smartphone manufactures looking at the existing enterprise BB10 install base and thinking that there might be an opportunity to sell what are essentially official BB10 knockoffs with a BlackBerry label. To some enterprise buyers, they would simply see them as new BlackBerrys. People who buy Thinkpads probably didn't notice any difference when they became Lenovos.
    10-03-16 09:24 AM
    So what happens to the snobs on this forum who keep blathering on about "cheap Chinese junk" when a $100 BB10 phone gets released? Do their heads explode?
    They run to buy it as if its drugs, specially with the Specs you would see on that. If the Chinese handled BB10 since its start, it would be the No.2 OS behind Android now. You would see some real innovation.

Look how Lenovo is handling Moto now. Great devices in my opinion, one of the best out there. Ideal specs + prices. In terms of new tech & features, they're doing better than most established players. I was hoping BB would get sold to Lenovo a few years back. It would've been very different i Android and even for BB10.
    ardakca likes this.
    10-03-16 09:31 AM
    Maybe because it's unsubstantiated piffle?

Pini is trying to talk-up interest. No names, no details given... just upbeat words. Words which lose any possible credibility with the "some of whom are even lining up to put BlackBerry’s own BB10 platform in their phones" nonsense. Only a company intent on self-destruction would licence BB10 for a phone after seeing what it's done to BlackBerry!
    Come now

Rename QNX to BB10 and bam! You have license partners.

Unless they're put off by the fact that BB10 was QNX overweight, socially awkward, step cousin, and go elsewhere thinking that QNX is dead
    JeepBB likes this.
    10-03-16 09:35 AM
58 123