Research In Motion is a serious company that makes serious smartphones. But a RIM-sponsored design competition aimed at creating phones that integrate human emotions with social networking has produced a concept device that looks nuttier than squirrel droppings: the Blackberry Empathy.

The Empathy is an angular phone that looks absolutely stunning--and a tad bonkers. Its front is home to an OLED touch screen that's transparent when not in use, and opaque at other times. It wouldn't be a proper BlackBerry without a physical keyboard, but the Empathy's is located on its back.

Read more of "BlackBerry Empathy concept phone gets us all emotional" at Crave UK.
    12-01-10 07:17 PM
    I'd love a phone with that type of user interface.
    Take a black slab that looks like a scaled down monolith, a OMLED (or whatever) thouchscreen, and a user interface where the background and nonimportant ui elements are not lit, and I'd see the future.
    12-01-10 08:40 PM
    What's the deal with their "testers". Are thumb rings part of the RIM employee dress code?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 09:02 PM
    What's the deal with their "testers". Are thumb rings part of the RIM employee dress code?

That ring is actually vital to the operation of the Empathy. without it, some of the core features do not work.
    rlfricke216 likes this.
    12-01-10 10:16 PM

lol its not a ring...take a good look at it =]
    12-02-10 01:10 AM
    Looks like the bad guys phone from Krypton on Smallville or some kind of crystal type thing or something?! Who knows? How much does it cost and does it work?
    12-02-10 04:00 PM
    that, is horrible
    12-04-10 11:16 AM

That's not a Thumb Ring, it's the antenna; we don't want any "antennagate" at RIM!
    12-04-10 01:40 PM
    Looks like the bad guys phone from Krypton on Smallville or some kind of crystal type thing or something?! Who knows? How much does it cost and does it work?
    not much is know about it at the moment =[
    12-04-10 03:41 PM
    I honestly think this desgin is awful, and the buttons seem too small, it would prob catch my eye if it was a touch screen... But if not then nooo, sorry :s

12-05-10 03:00 AM
    I honestly think this desgin is awful, and the buttons seem too small, it would prob catch my eye if it was a touch screen... But if not then nooo, sorry :s

the backside is where the qwerty keyboard is the front side is touch
    12-05-10 01:06 PM
    reminds me of Superman 2.
    12-05-10 04:21 PM
    Gotta say this looks awesome... but what astounds me is:

Why do we have specs (yes, i know they are concept specs, but specs none-the-less) and pictures of a phone like this that will probably not be released (at least not in the near future), yet we nave next to nothing on the BB Storm3 or any other QNX (or even OS6) powered devices set to come out early-mid next year...
    12-05-10 06:55 PM
    Sleek phone
    12-05-10 09:35 PM
    Looks interesting
    12-06-10 09:35 PM
    For me it looks a bit like the Nokia 7500 Prism, look here is a link:

http://img.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-7500-00.jpg

Let me guess the specs on the concept:
    512MB memory, 624MHz?

12-07-10 03:01 AM
    For me it looks a bit like the Nokia 7500 Prism, look here is a link:

http://img.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-7500-00.jpg

Let me guess the specs on the concept:
    512MB memory, 624MHz?

You forgot 360 x 480
    Seriously, I don't know whether I would us it to make a call, throw it into the ocean to see if it can skip waves, or use it as a nutcracker.

Seems a little bulky?

12-23-10 10:44 AM
    My girl wants 1! LOL
    12-23-10 10:55 AM
    i really don't like this phone . what's wrong with the classic look ey?!
    12-30-10 12:19 PM
    That would be a great gravestone design for RIM -

RIP
    RIM
    12-30-10 05:39 PM
    That would be a great gravestone design for RIM -

RIP
    RIM
    LOL love it.
    12-30-10 05:41 PM
    I'm pretty sure there are tons of people who have come up with concepts for Blackberry devices, unfortunately, RIM will never even try to use them it seems...
    12-30-10 10:10 PM
    Very futuristic!
    12-31-10 10:13 AM
    it's fingerprint resistant, right?
    12-31-10 01:31 PM

Research In Motion is a serious company that makes serious smartphones. But a RIM-sponsored design competition aimed at creating phones that integrate human emotions with social networking has produced a concept device that looks nuttier than squirrel droppings: the Blackberry Empathy.

The Empathy is an angular phone that looks absolutely stunning--and a tad bonkers. Its front is home to an OLED touch screen that's transparent when not in use, and opaque at other times. It wouldn't be a proper BlackBerry without a physical keyboard, but the Empathy's is located on its back.

Read more of "BlackBerry Empathy concept phone gets us all emotional" at Crave UK.

I would so rock this phone if it was made. Nothin else like it

12-31-10 10:49 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD