This will have been asked previously but I cannot find the definitive answer.

How secure is email on my Blackberry (BIS)?. I hear a lot of how the Blackberry is the handset / system of choice due to security but would like a simple explaination if possible.

I have both a gmail account and a Blackberry email account. Are they both secure? Is the Blackberry account more secure?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 12:18 PM
    Well anything that goes through gmail is only as secure as gmail. But BIS itself is very secure; RIM needs it to be, it's one of their main selling points.
    08-18-11 11:44 PM
    So the email through my Blackberry email account is more secure? I guessed so.

Its all a bit confusing when people talk of encryption etc.

08-19-11 01:45 AM
    So the email through my Blackberry email account is more secure? I guessed so.

Its all a bit confusing when people talk of encryption etc.

Even that is going through the public internet, so its not that secure. BBM OTOH is extremely secure.
    08-19-11 12:19 PM
    It's my understanding that BIS email is only as secure as other email. It is encrypted at the carrier level; whatever encryption your carrier provides for all internet communications is in use. The one thing I like about the @carrier.blackberry.net email address is that no one can access it from a computer terminal; no one will hack it like when someone hacks a hotmail or a gmail account, because it has to be accessed from the handset. On the other hand, BES email is extremely secure (AES), and, as someone already pointed out, BBM is also extremely secure even on BIS.

Last edited by T�nis; 08-19-11 at 12:33 PM.
    08-19-11 12:30 PM
    can somebody explain me how bbm is so secure even on bis?

how is the bbm security set up?

i would like to have more information specific about bbm security and
    the steps of this security if somebody knows
    08-19-11 12:38 PM
    can somebody explain me how bbm is so secure even on bis?

how is the bbm security set up?

i would like to have more information specific about bbm security and
    the steps of this security if somebody knows
    BBM is direct device to device communications. The message is encrypted in the source device and decrypted in the receiving device. It travels through RIM's servers but not through anyone's email servers.
    08-19-11 01:33 PM
    I started a thread regarding email encryption some time ago. I think it will help you with your questions: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ported-630548/
    08-19-11 01:43 PM
    BBM is direct device to device communications. The message is encrypted in the source device and decrypted in the receiving device. It travels through RIM's servers but not through anyone's email servers.
    ok thats really great protection, this privacy is one of the main reason why i wanna switch to blackberry (for the first time). i have read somewhere else that rim do have a universal key or that every blackberry has one universal key so blackberry could track your bbm logs (if autority asks for it like the riots in england)
    . So is that true? or can nobody log bbm massages, even not rim?

sorry if i go off topic
    08-19-11 03:34 PM
    ok thats really great protection, this privacy is one of the main reason why i wanna switch to blackberry (for the first time). i have read somewhere else that rim do have a universal key or that every blackberry has one universal key so blackberry could track your bbm logs (if autority asks for it like the riots in england)
    . So is that true? or can nobody log bbm massages, even not rim?
    anybody????
    08-21-11 07:42 AM
    Maybe everyone wants to stay away from that one...who knows. I always like reading more about this subject.
    08-21-11 06:06 PM
    BIS email is essentially not secure. Lets say you have GMail on your device, it is sent pretty much plain text. The only encryption is the communication between your device and the RIM NOC. So once any communication leaves the RIM NOC, the encryption is removed.
    08-21-11 06:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD