Hi everyone,

I have the BlackBerry services activated with my carrier. When I'm connected to Wifi or 3G I never have a problem, I see the BlackBerry-logo coming up next to my signal indicators.
    But when I'm getting out of the 3G-area and the phone automatically switch to EDGE (2G), the BlackBerry-logo is gone. What's the problem? How can I use the BlackBerry-services on EDGE (2G)?
    02-02-13 06:14 PM
    Is your Blackberry branded for your carrier or are you using an unlocked BB or one from another carrier. If its the latter option that may be your problem. Different carriers use different frequencies for 3g for example AT&T and T-Mobile are different and my old T-Mobile curve 8900 only gets EDGE on AT&T even though its unlocked.
    02-02-13 07:21 PM
    I've got a branded phone and on the original carrier, when I get into the EDGE area's, it's slower but I haven't lost any functionality.
    02-02-13 07:27 PM
    Hello, pal! Worry not, You have BIS. You can check on mobile connection status. I believe the blackberry symbol isn't there to save some space. None of the BB's I had ever showed EDGE+BB symbol, and everything worked just fine.
    02-02-13 08:37 PM
    So it still works? But if the BB logo is gone, I allways were thinking my BIS was running out ;-)
    02-03-13 05:40 AM
    I also have another question. Normally there is an BB icon next to the 3G indicator. But when I connect to wifi, it switch next to the wifi icon.
    But sometimes when I'm connected to wifi, the BB icon switch back next to the 3G indicator. Why is that and what does it mean? Why my phone use 3G when I'm connected to wifi?
    02-03-13 05:44 AM
    When it goes back to the 3g icon that would tend to mean that it has lost contact via the wifi, it is not a fault of the blackberry so much as most domestic routers being less than great, you will still use the wifi for data that does not directly require bb connectivity even then, but some stuff will have had to have been routed via 3g.

As far as your edge question, if you never get the blackberry icon then that does seem like your device is not connecting properly when it has to switch to 2g.
    02-03-13 10:09 AM
    Don't confuse this fella. You do have BIS.
    Here is a screenshot.

BlackBerry EDGE (2G)?-ql_1323105811.png
    Tom Delgat likes this.
    02-03-13 11:00 AM
    EDGE = BIS
    edge = no BIS
    02-03-13 01:27 PM
    Thanks bro... But how you make a screenshot on BB?
    02-03-13 02:22 PM
    There are are few in Blackberry World I use "Screen Grabber" it's free and doesn't leave a water mark. There is also "Capture Professional Free Screen Capture" among others. Try a few see which one works for you best.
    02-03-13 02:30 PM
    Personally, I use the screenshot function from Quick Launch. Pretty cool app. Lets you do multiple things and shortcuts from the convenience key. Its 4 bucks though..
    Another alternative is Advance OS and LED, it has a free version (but is super complete). Ads the OS many extra features.
    Tom Delgat likes this.
    02-03-13 02:39 PM
    Thanks FrankIAm, i downloaded Advance OS and LED. Indeed, it ads a lot off stuff into the os.
    02-04-13 08:52 AM
    EDGE = BIS
    edge = no BIS
    Isn't the caps meaning there is data connection ? On 3G for instance you have:

3g = no data / voice only
    3G = data + voice
    3G* = BIS + data + voice

It has happened to me to have EDGE with data conection but no BIS.

However the BIS notification icon (RIM Logo) * on my post does not appear on GPRS/EDGE/2G mode, even if you have BIS service/connection.

JP
    02-14-13 01:03 PM