Duncan Alfreds
    Cape Town - BlackBerry users are expanding in South Africa, reversing an international trend, according to statistics released on Friday.

According to research from independent ad network InMobi, devices made by Research In Motion (RIM) dominate the South African cellphone landscape and the BlackBerry Curve 8530 commands 41.3% of the market.

It eclipses second-place Samsung SGH E250i (4.5%) and the Nokia X2-01 (3.3%) in terms of share of handsets in the April to June 2012 period.

RIM devices dominate the market with a 50% share, an increase of 5.6% and the results show Nokia declining by 3.7% to 25% and global leading manufacturer Samsung also down 1.4% to 17%.

In terms of operating systems, the numbers reflect similar patterns with RIM at 50%, followed by Nokia OS at 15.4% and Symbian at 9.8%.

BlackBerry 10

According to the statistics, Android is too small in SA to register.

Smartphones are heading toward market dominance at 63% versus feature phones at 35%. Tablets and connected devices make up the difference, according to InMobi.

Part of the reason for BlackBerry dominance may lie in the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) offering with the devices and several commentators have warned that the South African market is cost sensitive.

Globally, Android-backed smartphones make up over 50% of the market and Samsung has emerged as the leading manufacturer with a global market share of 24.1% according to an IDC report.

A Google-backed survey on the state of the mobile web found that 21% of users in Sub-Saharan Africa felt that cost was a bigger barrier to entry than speed (11%) or even reliability (7%).

RIM will be hosting a BlackBerry 10 Jam World Tour in Cape Town on Tuesday as the company moves to consolidate developers prior to the launch of its anticipated next generation device in 2013.

The company recently offered developers an updated toolkit to encourage app development for the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem.

Companies have been rushing to release Android and iPhone apps for services in SA, but an industry player warned that they should focus on what was current in the country.

"We're not saying you shouldn't do iPhone and Android apps - fantastic - but understand that BlackBerry is more important; Nokia is the next important, and then, by all means do an iPhone and Android app," Tim Bishop, chief technical officer at Prezence Digital told News24
    07-30-12 05:01 AM
    If the most popular phone in the market is a one that is almost three years old and is purchased because it is the cheapest, does that suggest much of a market for a premium device? Isn't BB10 going to have the same problems as any other modern premium device?
    07-30-12 07:46 AM
    BB10 will be popular in South Africa. It will start off very expensive, but may see a gradual decline in price. BB's have always been expensive in South Africa. You have a good point though, unless RIM can launch an entry level BB10 phone it may find that the older BB's are still preferred by the majority of buyers. My current contract is up for renewal next year April, and honestly, I doubt I will be taking a BB10 due to cost. Likely I will go for a 9630 or similar.
    07-30-12 08:26 AM
    If the most popular phone in the market is a one that is almost three years old and is purchased because it is the cheapest, does that suggest much of a market for a premium device? Isn't BB10 going to have the same problems as any other modern premium device?
    S. Africa appears to be particularly cost-conscious. Consider these results below from S.A. from a few days ago:

Peter Searll, managing director of Dashboard, who provided the field research for the study, told journalists at a press briefing held in Sandton today (25 July 2012) that they found the breakdown of cellphone brand market share in SA to be as follows:

Nokia: 50%
    Samsung: 18%
    BlackBerry: 18%
    LG: 5%
    ZTE: 2%
    Motorola: 2%
    Sony: 1%
    HTC: 1%
    Apple: 1%

BlackBerry vs Samsung vs Nokia in SA Cellular MyBroadband Tech and IT News

What is important about these results is that they are for all phones - smart and feature, and illustrate the continuing importance of feature (cheap) phones in that market.
    The important findings for RIM are that there is a significant market for cheap phones and data and voice plans and an opportunity, if it can compete with other manufacturers targeting the low end of the market.
    07-30-12 09:06 AM
    There is no entry level BB10 device planned, in the earnings call they said that bb07 will be for the low and middle of the market and bb10 will be the premium offering - I am sure there will be an entry level device at some stage but I doubt it will within the first year because of the need to increase ARPU to sustainable levels.

BB10 will be popular in South Africa. It will start off very expensive, but may see a gradual decline in price. BB's have always been expensive in South Africa. You have a good point though, unless RIM can launch an entry level BB10 phone it may find that the older BB's are still preferred by the majority of buyers. My current contract is up for renewal next year April, and honestly, I doubt I will be taking a BB10 due to cost. Likely I will go for a 9630 or similar.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    07-30-12 09:25 AM
    07-30-12 09:46 AM
    There is no entry level BB10 device planned, in the earnings call they said that bb07 will be for the low and middle of the market and bb10 will be the premium offering - I am sure there will be an entry level device at some stage but I doubt it will within the first year because of the need to increase ARPU to sustainable levels.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

I imagine that even when they release a CURVE equivalent version of BB10, it will still be much more that what many markets will support (Dual Core Processors are not the norm yet in most low end devices). In a way RIM might be smart to keep the BBOS7 devices in their lineup... but maybe market them differently so consumers understand that a BlackBerry is not always a BlackBerry.

I just hope that even if RIM believes that their BB10 devices are a "premium offering" that they provide incentives or something to keep the cost of these devices down for consumers. If they believe they need to price them at $599 a device (for Gov and Corporate customers), they need to do some consumer rebates or BOGO offers to get those prices down to below the current top devices from Apple and Samsung.
    07-30-12 12:03 PM
    Most popular Bb has to be curves esp the 8520, cause its still offered on contract for around R120 give or take with BIS.

My 9700 is still going strong with a shrunk os6, mum has it now.. still love that phone.

Why bb rocks here is because of BIS, cheap internet which is now throttled on vodacom after 100mb of use.. sigh

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    07-30-12 02:49 PM
    Nigeria is another country that has droves of younger people (<30) flocking to the Blackberry platform. I think like a previous poster has stated about South Africa, the main series in Nigeria is the curve with the "Bold 5" (9900) being reserved by the most 'important' 'in' crowd.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-30-12 07:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD