So I was on the phone with customer service and before I hung up I made a comment about being eligible for an upgrade soon. I asked if there was anything new comming out from BlackBerry in the near future. Knowing full well that the nice lady wouldn't be able to tell me anything that I haven't already heard about here on CrackBerry, but sometimes they let something slip about phones in testing.

The conversation moved to Android so I thought I would play along and asked a few questions. Here is what I learned today!

Android can multi-task which means that I could have several apps open at once. I can't do that with BlackBerry.

In fact with Android I could be on a call and the internet at the same time. Not possible with a blackberry. (I thought that was not possible with CDMA, but apparently it is if one is using Android.)

Any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-11 05:54 PM
    I'd be surprised if it's possible to use data and voice at the same time on a cdma android.

05-23-11 06:06 PM
    So I was on the phone with customer service and before I hung up I made a comment about being eligible for an upgrade soon. I asked if there was anything new comming out from BlackBerry in the near future. Knowing full well that the nice lady wouldn't be able to tell me anything that I haven't already heard about here on CrackBerry, but sometimes they let something slip about phones in testing.

The conversation moved to Android so I thought I would play along and asked a few questions. Here is what I learned today!

Android can multi-task which means that I could have several apps open at once. I can't do that with BlackBerry.

In fact with Android I could be on a call and the internet at the same time. Not possible with a blackberry. (I thought that was not possible with CDMA, but apparently it is if one is using Android.)

Any thoughts?

WRONG WRONG WRONG......

blackberry can multitask, i can have many apps open at once....easily proved by opening things up and using the app switcher to toggle between them.

CDMA phones CANNOT use simultaneous voice and data while connected to the mobile network only. i dont care if its an iphone, android or blackberry. its a limitation of CDMA, and has nothing to do with the phone or OS its running. GSM allows you to do this. the only way a CDMA phone will allow voice and data at the same time is if you are on a wifi network.
    05-23-11 07:38 PM
    WRONG WRONG WRONG......

blackberry can multitask, i can have many apps open at once....easily proved by opening things up and using the app switcher to toggle between them.

CDMA phones CANNOT use simultaneous voice and data while connected to the mobile network only. i dont care if its an iphone, android or blackberry. its a limitation of CDMA, and has nothing to do with the phone or OS its running. GSM allows you to do this. the only way a CDMA phone will allow voice and data at the same time is if you are on a wifi network.
    Precicely.

'nuff said...

sounds like the agent the OP spoke to has no clue about the products they support / sell...
    05-23-11 07:40 PM
    the thunderbolt actually can use 3G data and voice at the same time. i think the charge can too.
    05-23-11 07:47 PM
    Precicely.

'nuff said...

sounds like the agent the OP spoke to has no clue about the products they support / sell...
    My thoughts exactly. I would apply for a customer service job but it appears that I'm over qualified.

What is also scarry is these are the same people that assist with billing questions. I hope they get better training in that area.

05-23-11 07:58 PM
    the thunderbolt actually can use 3G data and voice at the same time. i think the charge can too.
    i stand corrected, but thats probably ONLY because it supports 4G LTE and uses a SIM card for network authentication unlike normal CDMA phones that use an ESN/MEID. this is because LTE is based on GSM technology. if the user isnt on LTE and is just on standard CDMA-EVDO, they will not be able to use voice and data at the same time.

however, standard CDMA phones cannot support simultaneous voice and data. i was unaware that verizon LTE phones will now require a SIM. its good to see them ditching CDMA finally.
    05-23-11 08:03 PM
    Well the BB's cant use data while voice but it CAN multitask! You have to use the app toggler and if you dont know what that is follow these instructions:
    1. Press the BB Logo Key
    2. Hold down for 2-3 secs
    3. Pick your app that you want to use!

So BB Can Multitask After All.........................................
    EVEN BETTER THAN OTHER MODELS
    05-24-11 05:29 AM
    ...So BB Can Multitask After All.........................................
    Oh I know it can. After she said that it couldn't, I had to ask again just to make sure I heard correctly.

I would like to know why the reps are so poorly informed. It's almost like they don't want to sell BBs and are told to push the Android first.

05-24-11 06:24 AM
    Well the BB's cant use data while voice but it CAN multitask!
    Yes it can, as long as it's connected to an HSPA network. It will not work on EDGE, or any CDMA network.
    05-24-11 06:27 AM
    Well the BB's cant use data while voice but it CAN multitask! You have to use the app toggler and if you dont know what that is follow these instructions:
    1. Press the BB Logo Key
    2. Hold down for 2-3 secs
    3. Pick your app that you want to use!

So BB Can Multitask After All.........................................
    Technically, the iphone does the same thing. ^^

I'm not an apple fanboy. I'm just stating the facts.

Double tap the home.

05-24-11 06:34 AM
    Most people that I run into always make the mistake of putting their personal prefence into their sales pitch, instead of finding the root source of what the customer wants. Anytime I want to buy something I reseach the products and then make my own decision. I will take the input of the sales person, but normally it will not weight in on my decision.
    05-24-11 06:39 AM
    Technically, the iphone does the same thing. ^^

I'm not an apple fanboy. I'm just stating the facts.

Double tap the home.

The iPhone doesn't really multitask, it has app stopping, it just stops one app while the other is started. That is not true multitasking.
    05-24-11 07:09 AM
    The old pre 2005 blackberry 7230 I have in my car as backup can multitask.

05-24-11 07:44 AM
    The iPhone doesn't really multitask, it has app stopping, it just stops one app while the other is started. That is not true multitasking.
    Ahh.;
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why iPhone was getting so much heat about it.
    05-24-11 07:46 AM
    Ahh.;
    Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why iPhone was getting so much heat about it.
    Android does the same thing. The app stays open but all processes end until the app is re-opened.
    05-24-11 07:49 AM
    Android does the same thing. The app stays open but all processes end until the app is re-opened.
    that is not true, pandora keeps playing, downloads continue, turn by turn navigation still continues to tell me to turn etc. Sure a game will pause once you leave the screen because that is what its coded to do. but android does not end the processes just because i move to a different app
    05-24-11 08:11 AM
    Oh I know it can. After she said that it couldn't, I had to ask again just to make sure I heard correctly.

I would like to know why the reps are so poorly informed. It's almost like they don't want to sell BBs and are told to push the Android first.

No surprise that your average service or support rep does not know the tech their company sells. Happens everywhere all the time.

As for Android, they just go with the flow. Android is hot. People have heard about it.. heard good things, and thus it is an easy sell. The reps will always choose the easy path. Well not always but mostly.
    05-24-11 08:14 AM
    that is not true, pandora keeps playing, downloads continue, turn by turn navigation still continues to tell me to turn etc. Sure a game will pause once you leave the screen because that is what its coded to do. but android does not end the processes just because i move to a different app
    Thank you for the correction, I honestly didn't even think about Pandora before I posted. However, the iPhone does generally the same thing than doesn't it?

I'm also kind of confused now. The articles that I've read regarding the app killers and Android state that you shouldn't run an app killer because Android is made to run with applications open. They state that when the app isn't in use, it doesn't run any processes, and the app stays in sort of a holding pattern until you open it back up and continue where you left off. They state that when you use an task killer the OS needs to re-open everything all over again, and kills the efficiency. I actually think you posted the links to the stories in a different thread some time ago.

This is what I went off of when I posted regarding Android. However, the iPhone can also download an app while doing something else on the device. And doesn't Pandora on the iPhone play while running in the background?
    05-24-11 08:20 AM
    I just read through this thread and want to clarify something.

I was not trying to imply that customer service reps are stupid. (one of my posts seemed to come off that way) The carrier's training is inadequate and thus the information passed along to customers is sometimes wrong.

It's interesting to hear about how the other platforms do or do not multi-task. I have no knowledge of iOS and very little on Android.
    05-24-11 08:28 AM
    the iphone can multitask some applications but not all. Its better than most people give it credit for

you dont need a task killer for android. the apps that should run do run just fine. the other apps will go to a cached state if they are not needed. So you have some that run continuously and others that will cache themselves.
    05-24-11 08:29 AM
    the iphone can multitask some applications but not all. Its better than most people give it credit for

you dont need a task killer for android. the apps that should run do run just fine. the other apps will go to a cached state if they are not needed. So you have some that run continuously and others that will cache themselves.
    Good deal, thanks again for the clarification, it is appreciated.
    05-24-11 08:32 AM
    Well the BB's cant use data while voice
    Yes you can. The key is 3G/4G like other posters have alluded to.
    3G in laymans terms means you can run voice and data simultaneously on your device.

If you get 3G or 4G reception on your device, then you can run voice and data
    05-24-11 08:59 AM
    Yesterday afternoon I was using my Torch when a business call came in from an associate in Dayton, Ohio. I conferenced in another associate who was on an airliner flying to Jamaica. I was able to talk to the two while consulting my calendar and using my Torch's calculator. The Torch was more than up to the task. As a business tool Blackberrys are untouchable in my opinion. I see them more as a High Tech tool than a portable gaming and plaything. But that's just me.... just sayin.
    05-24-11 09:03 AM
    i stand corrected, but thats probably ONLY because it supports 4G LTE and uses a SIM card for network authentication unlike normal CDMA phones that use an ESN/MEID. this is because LTE is based on GSM technology. if the user isnt on LTE and is just on standard CDMA-EVDO, they will not be able to use voice and data at the same time.

however, standard CDMA phones cannot support simultaneous voice and data. i was unaware that verizon LTE phones will now require a SIM. its good to see them ditching CDMA finally.
    The thunderbolt actually supports simultaneous voice and data on 3G as well as LTE. This is accomplished over 3G using Voice over Rev A or SV-DO. As far as I know the Thunderbolt is the only Verizon handset with this capability.

http://mobile.pcmag.com/device2/article.php?CALL_URL=http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382155,00.asp

05-24-11 11:03 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD