BlackBerry Docklet: Dock-Tablet-docklet.jpg

An extension of the BlackBerry 10 experience, just dock your device and unlock the possibilities...
    Since it's a dock, it costs much less than an ordinary tablet...

EDIT: My estimates using IHS/iSuppli data puts the cost of this thing at about $70-$75 making a $99 retail price quite possible...
    Last edited by D_Gui; 03-14-14 at 02:40 AM.
    xxslxx, igor10000 and davidboubou like this.
    03-13-14 01:54 AM
    I have always wondered why wouldn't they do just that? Love the idea and the concept and it's very feasible.

Powered by Blackberry
    D_Gui and xxslxx like this.
    03-13-14 04:43 AM
    I have always wondered why wouldn't they do just that? Love the idea and the concept and it's very feasible.
    I completely agree, I think their main motivation against it is because of the PlayBook's dependence on other devices and its failure, at least at first, and thus they likely feel that the same would happen with any similar product in the future...
    03-13-14 05:04 AM
    This could be the perfect compromise until BlackBerry gets back onto there feet.

Posted via Z30 C0002FDEF
    D_Gui and davidboubou like this.
    03-13-14 06:25 AM
    Someone tried this a couple of years ago and I believe it was a flop.

Posted via CB10

*edit*

Yes, it was the Asus Padfone. Was announced in 2011 and has been available since April 2012.
    03-13-14 06:31 AM
    It works good on both touch and non-touch devices.
    03-13-14 06:40 AM
    Someone tried this a couple of years ago and I believe it was a flop.

*edit*

Yes, it was the Asus Padfone. Was announced in 2011 and has been available since April 2012.
    I don't intend on it being mass produced, just become an accessory, like keyboard cases, battery packs etc.
    xxslxx likes this.
    03-13-14 06:41 AM
    This would be the ultimate throwaway accessory. I used to have a box full of sleds, keyboards, cameras, modems, batteries, etc that were rendered useless when I upgraded my PDA or smartphone. I guess a big screen device could go in there too.

The big difference between a tablet and a docklet? The tablet is still a tablet when you upgrade your phone, it breaks, or is out of commission.
    Last edited by early2bed; 03-13-14 at 08:24 AM.
    03-13-14 07:10 AM
    There certainly is some merit here. I have a wifi PlayBook and recently upgraded from a 9370 to a z30. The larger format of the PB is more convenient at some times but is not as portable as my phone. I often thought though that there should have been a method for docking my phone in the PB that would give me one unit to carry and the phone would become the direct online access point for the tablet online; thereby making the PB a 3g 4g connected device without adding a line on my phone contract and without file size limitations of the bridge.
    That said, the power of the z30 makes the PB unnecessary. But I still find times when they would better together than apart.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-14 08:31 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Docklet.jpg 
Views:	906 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	254770

An extension of the BlackBerry 10 experience, just dock your device and unlock the possibilities...
    Since it's a dock, it costs much less than an ordinary tablet...
    Great idea, but the device would have to slide in sideways in order for the USB and HDMI ports to work... also, if the device slides in in the same orientation as the tablet (widthwise from the top) then the accellerometer in the device would work and rotate the screen as the device is rotated.

If this was 1920 x 1080, basically all it would need to be is an HDMI monitor with a touchscreen that attaches to the device via USB... it would be good if it had a battery in it to light the screen rather than draw power from the handheld, but this could be $150. It would have to accommodate the largest BB device with adaptors for others.
    03-13-14 08:42 AM
    I doubt whether the device would be any cheaper than a stand alone Tablet. I doubt that the screen sharpness could match your phone. Together the phone and the tablet are much heavier than a stand alone tablet. Right now BB needs to concentrate on bringing up the specs on the Z30 to match other phones and possibly add a "Note" to their line up .

My innovation thought would be a SIM module that could be shared between the phone and the tablet. Now that would be useful. Imagine sharing your SIM module between a slim 4.2 inch phone and a 8 inch tablet.

Imagine as well a keyboard module that could be clicked into (not blue tooth) to the bottom of your phone or tablet.

Imagine sharing a flash memory module between the two units as well.
    03-13-14 10:10 AM
    This would be the ultimate throwaway accessory.

The big difference between a tablet and a docklet? The tablet is still a tablet when you upgrade your phone, it breaks, or is out of commission.
    The idea is to only last two to three years, BUT it will have an expandable slot, working with HDMI & USB, so if you go from Z10 to Z50, theoretically you'd still be able to use it...

Great idea, but the device would have to slide in sideways in order for the USB and HDMI ports to work... also, if the device slides in in the same orientation as the tablet (width wise from the top) then the accellerometer in the device would work and rotate the screen as the device is rotated.

If this was 1920 x 1080, basically all it would need to be is an HDMI monitor with a touchscreen that attaches to the device via USB... it would be good if it had a battery in it to light the screen rather than draw power from the handheld, but this could be $150. It would have to accommodate the largest BB device with adaptors for others.
    Yes, the idea was that, but for effect it would look better if it slides downwards. I more thought of a QHD display, thus double the Z10's size to perfectly scale everything. I thought a 6,000mAh battery would do, so that it charges your device and powers the tablet.

I doubt whether the device would be any cheaper than a stand alone Tablet. I doubt that the screen sharpness could match your phone. Together the phone and the tablet are much heavier than a stand alone tablet. Right now BB needs to concentrate on bringing up the specs on the Z30 to match other phones and possibly add a "Note" to their line up.
    Well, you can pick up a Nexus 7 (2013) for about $229, it weighs 290g, lose most of the parts inside and add a Z10 weighing 137g and the total weight is let's say 300-350g which is inline with a LG G Pad 8.3's 338g and noticeably lighter than 10-inchers. Thus it would easily be both lighter and cheaper than a stand alone tablet.

As for your comments for a BlackBerry Note; no, no, no. Samsung got lucky, it doesn't mean anyone that slaps a stylus to an oversized phone and adds a drawing & note taking app will hit a homerun, just ask LG and several other companies if it worked, hint: no.

BUT I do agree we might need some spec bumps, just not QHD screens, Snapdragon 800s etc., because they're unnecessary and a ***** on battery life, which is one thing I admire on the Z30...
    03-13-14 10:41 AM
    I've been saying for months now that it would make me ecstatic if the BB10 version of Bridge would have a 'presentation' mode, where what appears on the handheld would be duplicated on the PlayBook...and then the PlayBook could be attached to a big monitor, if desired, with an HDMI cable.

I mean, BB10 already has the screen share mode, so most of the code is already there.

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui and xxslxx like this.
    03-13-14 10:45 AM
    So you have a slot and then some kind of adapter and then your phone attaches to the adapter. That's a out of wiggly parts. And do you really think that Blackberry knows the shape of all of their phones to come in the next few years?

Face it. Consumers have not been interested in snapping their mobile devices together since the Handspring days. They have never caught on. Some of you guys are a little too nostalgic for your Gameboys and cartridges.
    03-13-14 11:35 AM
    The Padfone weighs 649 grams with the phone. It is not cheap either. It is not popular as well. Your idea that a dummy terminal would be light is pure fiction.
    03-13-14 11:39 AM
    The Padfone weighs 649 grams with the phone. It is not cheap either. It is not popular as well. Your idea that a dummy terminal would be light is pure fiction.
    The Padfone is a tablet AND a phone. This isn't and it's smaller than the traditional 10-inch Padfone. The Padfone Mini combined weighs 376g. Which is still light and closer to the size of this...
    03-13-14 11:47 AM
    The Padfone is a tablet AND a phone. This isn't and it's smaller than the traditional 10-inch Padfone. The Padfone Mini combined weighs 376g. Which is still light and closer to the size of this...
    I stand corrected. I still would only buy it for $120 . Maybe a free be with a Z10.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-13-14 12:34 PM
    I stand corrected. I still would only buy it for $120 . Maybe a free be with a Z10.
    That is my sentiments exactly, use it to get rid of Z10 inventories, but also a test run. Foxconn can make it for quite cheap and take the inventory risks...
    03-13-14 12:50 PM
    That is my sentiments exactly, use it to get rid of Z10 inventories, but also a test run. Foxconn can make it for quite cheap and take the inventory risks...
    Somehow I don't think Foxconn is going to take the inventory risk for whatever Blackberry wants to try out. Use it to get rid of Z10 inventories? I'm sure they will get right on it.
    03-13-14 01:10 PM
    For sure . We might see a Foxconn BB10 tablet especially if they make an android version for sale under some other brand .. but not what OP is suggesting. I still like my idea of a SIM module but I am not sure the USA carriers would allow that. Just one data plan for both units.
    03-13-14 04:15 PM
    For sure . We might see a Foxconn BB10 tablet especially if they make an android version for sale under some other brand .. but not what OP is suggesting. I still like my idea of a SIM module but I am not sure the USA carriers would allow that. Just one data plan for both units.
    What's wrong with that ?
    We canceled the Internet at my house because we all use the data off our cell phones. I hope the Canadian carriers never become as greedy as in the us...imagine how much they could make me pay for my data this month !
    BlackBerry Docklet: Dock-Tablet-img_20140311_131858.png

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    03-13-14 05:19 PM
    Ps :yes I know....my plan says 6g and includes "unlimited...please don't ask me...I am just a very old client...don't ever try to get it at fido or they will laugh at you

Posted via CB10
    D_Gui likes this.
    03-13-14 05:21 PM
    Oh c'mon please, this is only an idea copied from ASUS idea long time ago, whatever it's just an accessory or real device. How can it came in fist page of crackberry?
    03-14-14 01:56 AM
    Oh c'mon please, this is only an idea copied from ASUS idea long time ago, whatever it's just an accessory or real device. How can it came in fist page of crackberry?
    You're clearly a moron. It may have some similarities to ASUS, but ASUS' is too separate, full blown devices, which is unnecessary. If you can do so much better, here's your chance, show us...
    03-14-14 02:13 AM
    Doesn't need to have all the spec and bells and whistles (processor, memory, etc.) - just a proper fully functional bridge similar to Miracast with display and sound but with a bi-directional input so you could control the functionality of your phone from the screen on the tablet, using the tablet as a touch display and keeping the processor, memory, etc. in the handset.

It should have aspect ratio of 16:9 (mirroring the z30 format but with a minimum resolution of 1920x1080 - is 4k a possibility at this stage or is the cost too prohibitive?

The same great speakers / sound we have with PB1 and the Z30.
    03-14-14 04:58 AM
30 12