I am in the UK and I have had blackberrys now for a number of years, recently two bolds and foolishly went out and bought a blackberry z10 sim free for rather a lot of money as I was still in contract for my bold. The foolish part being shortly afterwards the phone stores started giving them away almost. I love the Z10, and OS10 the hub is brilliant, as always the messaging facilities are excellent. Battery life is not so good and I knew about the problems with apps but am generally not an app person.

My dilemma is my contract is now up for renewal, I could drop to sim only and save quite a bit of cash keeping the Z10 or I could upgrade to the Z30 mainly for the better battery life which would cost me an extra �3 a month to my current contract. Or finally leave blackberry and look elsewhere.
    I suppose the issue is am I going to drop another clanger if I go for the Z30 as that could drop like a rocket again in price or worse end up not being supported given blackberrys uncertain future and I am left with an expensive contact and a worthless phone. But I don't know what is out there that I would like.

I did try a nokia lumia and took it back after two days. I like the flashing notification led on a blackberry, the ease at which it handles emails text and bbm. The new swipe method of navigation is excellent. I use an ipad as a tablet and find navigation is not as good. Also the screen on an iphone is small. I have concerns about security with Android and again don't know if any work in a similar way to a blackberry. Also the resale value of blackberrys is appalling compared to some android phones and definitely iphones so once you commit you are potentially not going to recoup your losses is something happens.

I know I can load android apps onto blackberry now but again understand not all of them work.

Alternatively I could just wait for another 6 months and see what happens. Aaaaghh decisions. Anyone else facing this dilemma and what have you done.

Janet
    02-12-14 10:21 AM
    I am in the UK and I have had blackberrys now for a number of years, recently two bolds and foolishly went out and bought a blackberry z10 sim free for rather a lot of money as I was still in contract for my bold. The foolish part being shortly afterwards the phone stores started giving them away almost. I love the Z10, and OS10 the hub is brilliant, as always the messaging facilities are excellent. Battery life is not so good and I knew about the problems with apps but am generally not an app person.

My dilemma is my contract is now up for renewal, I could drop to sim only and save quite a bit of cash keeping the Z10 or I could upgrade to the Z30 mainly for the better battery life which would cost me an extra �3 a month to my current contract. Or finally leave blackberry and look elsewhere.
    I suppose the issue is am I going to drop another clanger if I go for the Z30 as that could drop like a rocket again in price or worse end up not being supported given blackberrys uncertain future and I am left with an expensive contact and a worthless phone. But I don't know what is out there that I would like.

I did try a nokia lumia and took it back after two days. I like the flashing notification led on a blackberry, the ease at which it handles emails text and bbm. The new swipe method of navigation is excellent. I use an ipad as a tablet and find navigation is not as good. Also the screen on an iphone is small. I have concerns about security with Android and again don't know if any work in a similar way to a blackberry. Also the resale value of blackberrys is appalling compared to some android phones and definitely iphones so once you commit you are potentially not going to recoup your losses is something happens.

I know I can load android apps onto blackberry now but again understand not all of them work.

Alternatively I could just wait for another 6 months and see what happens. Aaaaghh decisions. Anyone else facing this dilemma and what have you done.

Janet
    I own a Z10 and a Q10. I love my Z10, but I think you'll love the 30. Test it out for 30 days.
    02-12-14 10:31 AM
    You need a Z30. Plain and simple.

Posted via CB10
    janhsmn likes this.
    02-12-14 10:38 AM
    Where is the dilemma? You have listed a whole catalogue of reasons to stay with BlackBerry and upgrade to the fantastic Z30. On top of that you have stated objections to the other OS's out there.

Bite the bullet GET A Z30!

Posted using the awesome Z30 on 10.2.1.1925 and 10.2.1.1926 Radio
    janhsmn likes this.
    02-12-14 10:42 AM
    If I was in your position, I would go sim only and wait if any of the new blackberries in the next year or so float your boat.

And get a spare battery.

Posted on CB10 with the Q10
    janhsmn likes this.
    02-12-14 10:49 AM
    Get the Z30, sell the Z10 to cover the growth in your monthly plan. That's what I'd do.

Posted via CB10 from my exquisite Z10 on Cosmote Romania
    02-12-14 11:44 AM
    Another option to help with battery life while you work out what to do could be an extended battery which some people say are doubling their usage for about �18.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    02-12-14 11:47 AM
    Unless u need a bigger screen and a long lasting non removable battery, keep the Z10 and buy a battery bundle. I look at the Z30 and Z10 as two separate phones. Size, screen and battery life r completely different and have their own niche. U need to weigh the pros and cons and decide if a longer lasting battery is worth the $$$. Now, if the Z30 has other specs that u can definitely benefit from, then go ahead and make the switch. There r tons of users who r very happy with the Z30.

Zed 10 with 1925 leak
    02-12-14 11:49 AM
    So where's the question??

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 11:57 AM
    Just go get the Z30 .You will love it.
    02-12-14 12:17 PM
    What's the difference in price between the 30 and sim only?
    02-12-14 12:53 PM
    How long are your contracts?

If I was in your shoes id keep the z10 and like others said just buy a battery bundle, and wait 6 months or so and see if any new announcements from BlackBerry or elsewhere catch your eye worth an upgrade.

While the z30 is nice, so is the z10 and i'd feel like I'm locking myself in a contract for a slightly larger screen and an extra hour or so of battery life.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 02:04 PM
    Sim only is �16 a month and z30 is �27
    02-12-14 02:50 PM
    Extra �11 per month for Z30 go for it I have Z10 it is good but Z30 would be even better keep Z10 as a back up
    02-12-14 02:57 PM
    That's a good deal if you get the phone for free. It's just too bad we don't know what BlackBerry has in the pipeline for 2014. It makes the decision a little harder.
    They might as well come with a Z11 or whatever...
    02-12-14 03:33 PM
    Go sim only contracts are for suckers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    02-12-14 03:58 PM
    Go sim only contracts are for suckers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    How are they for suckers? If someone has no intention on leaving a specific carrier why in the world would they pay 300-500$ for something they can get for free?

Buying off-contract is something I feel you should do if you like switching phones often or up in the air about your carrier.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 04:14 PM
    Nothing is free, you are paying for the phone within your contract somewhere!

On my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    02-12-14 04:36 PM
    Nothing is free, you are paying for the phone within your contract somewhere!

Your paying for it by committing yourself to said carrier for a year or two. Which is a decent price to pay if you are ok with your carrier and have no plans to change that.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 04:42 PM
    Tldr but yea, get the Z30.

Aka S.Jizzle Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    02-12-14 04:54 PM
    If you can afford the few extra bucks, stop thinking. You answered your needs already. I had the z10, good device, I know have the z30.....awesome device and the battery is simply incredible.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 05:15 PM
    Your paying for it by committing yourself to said carrier for a year or two. Which is a decent price to pay if you are ok with your carrier and have no plans to change that.

Posted via CB10
    On my sons contract they divide the price of the phone by 24 months (2 year contract) and add that amount each month to his services

02-12-14 05:21 PM
    It is a bit more complex in the UK, the phone isn't actually part of the contract but they do build the cost in - which is why on sim only I only pay �12 for unlimited data, 5000 minutes and about 5000 texts.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    02-13-14 01:04 PM
    It is a bit more complex in the UK, the phone isn't actually part of the contract but they do build the cost in - which is why on sim only I only pay �12 for unlimited data, 5000 minutes and about 5000 texts.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
    Which network?

I'm interested because I need EE (best coverage where I work), but the phone I want is carrier exclusive to O2/Vodafone. So I may buy outright and get a sim-only deal rather than wait for the exclusive period to end.

P.S. Sorry OP for diverting your thread... Tho, IMO, if you are happy with BB10, get a Z30. It'll still work regardless of what happens to BB and I've seen many good reviews for that phone, even from sites that usually don't have a good word to say about BB.
    02-13-14 01:15 PM
    Which network?

I'm interested because I need EE (best coverage where I work), but the phone I want is carrier exclusive to O2/Vodafone. So I may buy outright and get a sim-only deal rather than wait for the exclusive period to end.

P.S. Sorry OP for diverting your thread... Tho, IMO, if you are happy with BB10, get a Z30. It'll still work regardless of what happens to BB and I've seen many good reviews for that phone, even from sites that usually don't have a good word to say about BB.
    Three but that was a retention deal so not sure you can get it.
    02-13-14 01:56 PM
28 12