... with either Amazon to get their app store on their phones, or Nokia to get their newly created Android (fork) store. The status quo is just unacceptable. They also need to remove the shackles from their Android app player and fix all the lagginess and overheating issues folks have been complaining about.

And if they can't do that, then I give you option #3:

BB10 phones for enterprise, and a separate Android fork for their own consumer devices. Skin it like BB10 and call it a day. They need APPS, ASAP! Snap, sideloading, Android apps making devices run hot and draining the battery are all unacceptable.

/rant
    bbq10l likes this.
    02-27-14 07:53 PM
    Devices run hot because the processors are working hard. There is no active cooling in a phone like there is in a laptop/pc. I don't see how that is a defect unless circuit boards are actually failing because of it.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-27-14 07:56 PM
    You can install the Amazon App Store just by searching for it on the Web, downloading the .apk file and installing it, if your phone is running BB10.2.1.x

So BlackBerry don't need to partner up with Amazon for that, not that Amazon would be interested. Nokia is owned by Microsoft so there won't be any partnership options there either.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    02-27-14 08:03 PM
    BlackBerry will never ever adopt Android. Who needs another Android player. The world is overflowing with that rubbish.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    zensen likes this.
    02-27-14 08:13 PM
    This thread is the dumbest thing I have ever read. What apps do you need and how many. I mean really? BlackBerry has quality apps in the store and what you can't find, Snap does the rest. Get real.
    02-27-14 08:26 PM
    Devices run hot because the processors are working hard. There is no active cooling in a phone like there is in a laptop/pc. I don't see how that is a defect unless circuit boards are actually failing because of it.

If the same app doesn't overheat on an android phone, then there has to be way for it not overheat in the Android player. Translation: Blackberry still has some work to do.

You can install the Amazon App Store just by searching for it on the Web, downloading the .apk file and installing it, if your phone is running BB10.2.1.x

So BlackBerry don't need to partner up with Amazon for that, not that Amazon would be interested. Nokia is owned by Microsoft so there won't be any partnership options there either.

It seems many users are reporting that even apps in the Amazon store require some Amazon services to function properly. So I would disagree that they don't need to broker an official deal. Also, non-crackberrians won't know to install the Amazon store on their own. It will need to come installed out of the box.

BlackBerry will never ever adopt Android. Who needs another Android player. The world is overflowing with that rubbish.

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    I like BB10. But devs aren't flocking to the platform. They need to do something. Even Nokia is going Android for some of their phones.

This thread is the dumbest thing I have ever read. What apps do you need and how many. I mean really? BlackBerry has quality apps in the store and what you can't find, Snap does the rest. Get real.
    It's not about what apps I want. I use very few apps. But when all you see/hear is how BB market share is dwindling to less than 1%, then I would say it is time for something tangible to happen. And I disagree, BB World does not have the apps that most consumers want. And Snap is NOT a viable option for non-crackberrians. 99% of people will NOT side load snap.

*You* need to get real.
    Drew808 and bbq10l like this.
    02-27-14 08:51 PM

So BlackBerry don't need to partner up with Amazon for that, not that Amazon would be interested.
    I know when I've suggested that to more casual people I know, they are terrrified of doing this, but would use it if it was preinstalled. I think Amazon might be all over it actually, because it's an excuse to sell content and increase the userbase of the storefront.
    Bbnivende, LuvULongTime and bbq10l like this.
    02-27-14 08:53 PM
    If the same app doesn't overheat on an android phone, then there has to be way for it not overheat in the Android player. Translation: Blackberry still has some work to do.
    Not sure how you reach that conclusion.

Firstly, the fact that your device warms up a bit does not mean it has 'over' heated. Electronics get warm. Over heating would be a device that powers down or is is damaged from the heat - and nobody is saying that is happening.

Secondly, different devices have different hardware, so the fact that one gets warmer than the other has nothing do to with the OS or the Android player. It has more to do with what type of chip set, running at what frequency, under how much load etc.

02-28-14 12:02 AM
    Amazing how many people respond to a thread without reading or understanding it.
    If you talked about snap or installing an apk then you are one of these people.
    This is asking for ease of use for the general consumer. Snap and apk installing is not something that they would do

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-28-14 01:03 AM

Firstly, the fact that your device warms up a bit does not mean it has 'over' heated. Electronics get warm. Over heating would be a device that powers down or is is damaged from the heat - and nobody is saying that is happening.

Secondly, different devices have different hardware, so the fact that one gets warmer than the other has nothing do to with the OS or the Android player. It has more to do with what type of chip set, running at what frequency, under how much load etc.

Hot phones tend to die faster (battery life). Same for extreme cold. Extreme temperatures have that effect. Some phones are designed specifically for this. I've seen phones shut themselves down due to extreme temperatures after throwing up messages to explain why.

It can be dangerous to the device.

If the app doest cook am android phone then something is wrong with it on BB10.

Those are reasonable conclusions.

The hardware in the Z30 is almost identical to devices like the Droid Maxx so I'm not sure why you're drawing the conclusion you are...

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    02-28-14 01:58 AM
    Amazing how many people respond to a thread without reading or understanding it.
    If you talked about snap or installing an apk then you are one of these people.
    This is asking for ease of use for the general consumer. Snap and apk installing is not something that they would do

So on their Windows and Mac computers general consumers don't download software from the Web and install it?

I think you'll find they can handle that, that's how they fill their computers with garbage software before they bring them to me to 'fix' when they start running slow.

02-28-14 03:40 AM
    So on their Windows and Mac computers general consumers don't download software from the Web and install it?

I think you'll find they can handle that, that's how they fill their computers with garbage software before they bring them to me to 'fix' when they start running slow.

They don't plug their computer into another computer though do they? :P

02-28-14 06:12 AM
    Exactly. They don't know what they don't know. I know if two times in the last two weeks where I helped people (my mother and a coworker) put the amazon store on. Both wanted certain apps and knew the device ran Android apps, but didn't know where to find them or how to set up a store that isn't app world. As trivial as it was to do, both were not technical and both would never have tried to figure this out on their own. Now that they have the Amazon store installed though, their devices are filling up quickly with Android apps.
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    02-28-14 08:03 AM
    Exactly. They don't know what they don't know. I know if two times in the last two weeks where I helped people (my mother and a coworker) put the amazon store on. Both wanted certain apps and knew the device ran Android apps, but didn't know where to find them or how to set up a store that isn't app world. As trivial as it was to do, both were not technical and both would never have tried to figure this out on their own. Now that they have the Amazon store installed though, their devices are filling up quickly with Android apps.
    So true. People on Crackberry think they are representative of real world users. Not so. This in conjunction with some of the gems thrown around on this forum like "better android then android", and "app gap is now gone", make me shake my head. LOL!
    bbq10l, techvisor, JeepBB and 1 others like this.
    02-28-14 08:11 AM
    When I ran Waze on my Z10, I noticed it got hot.
    When I run Waze on my GS4, it gets hot.

Some apps heat up Android phones too, so it's important to know which ones do this before assuming the fault is in the BB10 Android implementation.
    igor10000 likes this.
    02-28-14 08:57 AM
    I wonder what BB will do. I have come full circle on this issue. I only want a phone that I can basically trust that the apps that they have in their own store are free from Malware. I believe this to be true for Apple. Google Play is taking a big step forward :

Google Play Services update will have big effect on malware, Android security - Android Community

They need to though because almost all of the malware is directed towards android apps.

I think that BB should try to maintain their status as selling a phone that is basically free of Malware so if they are going to offer runtime then they need to offer some form of vigilance against android infections .

or

Maybe the best strategy is to take the approach that if you use an app from a source other than BBW you are on your own.

PS Rubber Chicken ... I hope their first download was a anti-malware app.
    02-28-14 09:55 AM

Ermm hello!?! Directly installable .apk files downloaded from the Web are a feature of 10.2.1.x you don't need to sideload from a computer anymore.

02-28-14 10:05 AM

Microsoft only purchased Nokia's hardware division.. The software is still owned and operated by Nokia.
    02-28-14 10:36 AM
    PS Rubber Chicken ... I hope their first download was a anti-malware app.
    Good advice. In the case of my mother, I only put the Android store on because I know they curate it. I left on anything else because of fears of what she'd download. :-) Knowing her though, she'll probably stick with BlackBerry World once the novelty wears off.
    02-28-14 12:13 PM
    Microsoft only purchased Nokia's hardware division.. The software is still owned and operated by Nokia.
    Wrong.

Microsoft bought Nokias Devices & Services business, licensed Nokias patents, and licensed Nokias mapping services.

That's not just hardware.

02-28-14 08:48 PM

I use virtual machine with Linux on my Windows - powered PC. The same with Dalvik VM on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 09:16 PM
    I wonder what BB will do. I have come full circle on this issue. I only want a phone that I can basically trust that the apps that they have in their own store are free from Malware. I believe this to be true for Apple. Google Play is taking a big step forward :

Google Play Services update will have big effect on malware, Android security - Android Community

They need to though because almost all of the malware is directed towards android apps.

I think that BB should try to maintain their status as selling a phone that is basically free of Malware so if they are going to offer runtime then they need to offer some form of vigilance against android infections .
    Android apps on BB10 run in a sandbox.

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 09:22 PM
    ... with either Amazon to get their app store on their phones, or Nokia to get their newly created Android (fork) store.
    well the apk has been modified to work on most android devices now so it should work sideloaded onto blackberry 10,

[PORT,0.71][All Porting Bugs Fixed][from Nokia X][4.1.2+]Nokia Store - xda-developers

apk link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tsbmt2dpcai8e4c/N.apk
    02-28-14 09:39 PM

Also to add to this people are stupid the thinner the device the more you feel the heat. My wifes s3 heats up so much it's enough to burn your hand after like 30 mins maybe less. I have a case on my z10 and z30 I don't feel a single point of heat now.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 on 10.2.1.2102
    03-01-14 12:53 AM
    Android apps on BB10 run in a sandbox.

Posted via CB10
    Sandboxing protects the device from alteration, it does not protect against data leaks, abuse of battery power, or abuse of memory. Sandboxes can also limit the data the app has access to, but if the app needs access to your personal data (or you input it yourself) than there is nothing the sandbox can do to prevent its misuse.

(Copy from another post)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-01-14 01:01 AM
42 12