I am trying to get my Blackberry Desktop Manager on my work PC to connect via bluetooth to my storm so I can sync calendar and contacts, but it isn't working. I have my storm paired with my computer through the bluetooth software the bluetooth dongle came with. The blue LED blinks on my storm, so I know they are connected.

I opened Blackberry Desktop Manager and down at the bottom it says "Device connected (PIN): None". I click on that "None", set the connection type to bluetooth, and click the checkbox for "Turn on Bluetooth Support" and then OK I get nothing. If I go back into connection options and click "Configure Bluetooth", I get a Bluetooth Configuration Window that I guess will list all Bluetooth Devices, and there is nothing in there. If I click Add, I am greeted immediately with "Verify that the Bluetooth enabled device is configured for use with the BlackBerry Desktop Software. For more information, contact your administrator." If I click "Search again" at the bottom right, the previous error message (Verify that...) looks as though it refreshes immediately, without even trying to find my Storm.

This is driving me nuts. I am running .85, but it didn't work when I ran .75 either. I use a bluetooth headset and have my storm paired with my GPS so I know the bluetooth on it works. It is also paired with my work PC like I said, it is just that the Blackberry Desktop Manager will not see my storm via bluetooth. If I plug in the USB cable it works flawlessly.

What gives? Anyone else experiencing this?
    12-29-08 08:09 AM
    I just got mine working yesterday. Before I got it working the bluetooth options were grayed out in DM. After researching on this forum I found that you cannot be using the BT software that came with the adapter. You have to use the Windows BT drivers only. I followed some instructions on adding the PnP hardware ID into my bth.inf windows file and let Windows install the native drivers for it. Very easy.

If DM is letting you setup the bt options then you are probably doing ok with the correct drivers. You need to follow the correct steps for adding your device. Here's a link to RIM's instructions. View Document

Here is a link to the thread that helped me get the driver working. (page 3 has the instructions)
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f42/blu...computer-1240/

HTH
    12-29-08 08:38 AM
    ding ding ding.. I got rid of the bluetooth software and then I was in business..

thanks for your help
    Last edited by the block; 12-29-08 at 09:39 AM.
    12-29-08 09:35 AM
    I am having the same problem - BTH options dimmed in Desktop Manager. I saw the information on no 3rd parth BTH software (just Microsoft) however I have no Bluetooth icon in the Control Panel at all. How do you install Microsoft Bluetooth software on XP SP3? Or, better question, where can it be downloaded?
    01-11-09 03:16 PM
    It is already installed. You need to remove any 3rd party BT software, edit the .inf file as mentioned in the link, then reconnect your adapter. Windows will recognize it and install the native drivers. Mine installed my Belkin adapter (because I defined it in the bth.inf file) but using the Microsoft driver and then also installed the Microsoft BT Enumerator. Once I did that I was able to enable Bluetooth in DM. I can synchronize my BB and run a backup over BT.

HTH
    01-11-09 03:29 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. It may be that the dongle I'm using (Targus from OfficeMax) just isn't compatible.
    I used the string to update the bth.inf (the one under [BCM92046DG-CL1ROM.NT.5.1])

[ALPS.NT.5.1]
    ALPS Integrated Bluetooth Device= BthUsb, USB\Vid_044e&Pid_3005
    Alps Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_044e&Pid_3006

[BCM92046DG-CL1ROM.NT.5.1]
    Targus USB Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_0a5c&Pid_2154&Rev_0250

[Belkin.NT.5.1]
    Belkin Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_050d&Pid_0081
    Belkin Bluetooth Adapter= BthUsb, USB\Vid_050d&Pid_0084

I then tried the re-install driver from the device manager but it did not find anything.
    Last edited by jccorbi; 01-11-09 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed BthUsb string
    01-11-09 04:02 PM
    Try removing the &Rev_0250 from the end of the string, save it, then plug the adapter back and see if it finds it.

Did your inf file already contain [BCM92046DG-CL1ROM.NT.5.1] as a manufacturer? IF you look at the Manufacturer section above the Device section, it should be listed there as well.

It is not easy to troubleshoot help such as this in a forum. If this doesn't work, maybe return it and try one that is already in the native driver list of manufacturers. Good luck!

OMT - if the Targus was already listed, you should not replace what was there with your hardware id. You should create a copy of that line underneath it and change the id number to match your adapter id.
    Last edited by toylvr; 01-11-09 at 04:30 PM.
    01-11-09 04:21 PM
    Very cool, you guys just inspired me to dig out my old belkin bT adapter and following these instructions, I just backed up my storm. I was quite amazed at the speed, looked just like the usb was hard connected, thanks to you toylvr!!
    01-11-09 04:40 PM
    Very cool, you guys just inspired me to dig out my old belkin bT adapter and following these instructions, I just backed up my storm. I was quite amazed at the speed, looked just like the usb was hard connected, thanks to you toylvr!!
    de nada

It is kinda cool. Especially with the ambiance of a pretty blue flashing light. I see you are in my neck of the woods. Looking forward to some "cold" weather at the end of the week. Low 70's.
    01-11-09 04:50 PM
    I'm in Vero Beach and yes, the weather is wonderful. Just talked to a buddy in Indiana and he said they are preparing for sub-zero weather, (wind chill).

As to the BT, I am happy to have finally found a real use for the adapter other than downloading a few photos from my previous phone...
    01-11-09 05:26 PM
    OK, Toylvr, thanks for the tips. I got it working. Sequence: installed 3rd party (Widcomm) drivers & software, uninstalled their software, updated bth.inf and added the entry for the Broadcom USB BTH Adapter. Sync and Backups work fine now.

Thanks!
    01-11-09 08:44 PM
    I ran into a really odd problem where my bth.inf was not there. So, just in case anyone else does too. google bth.inf, copy the script and paste it in a notepad file, save that file as bth.inf. Then you just modify the fille as discussed earlier and put it in the c:/windows/inf folder. et voila! That is what worked for me.
    08-07-09 12:50 AM
    what does it mean when it says that the on device stuff can't be backed up via bluetooth?
    09-28-09 08:15 PM
    I'm the latest victim. None of the suggestion in this thread worked for me. Can anyone come up with other things I can do to get Desktop Manager to Sync to my Storm 2?

Update...6 hours later...issue appears to be 2 caused.

1 - thought I could do Media Sync via bluetooth.

2 - bluetooth adapter isn't 100% Windows 7 compatible...loaded drivers on my XP laptop and the Desktop Manager Bluetooth options were instantly available.

My usb adapter is the Trendnet - TBW-105UB
    Last edited by CrackberryPal; 12-20-09 at 09:45 AM.
    12-18-09 02:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD