Do you think that the Blackberry Desktop v4.2 will work with the storm? The 4.2 software will work with Office 2000, which is what I have.
    11-19-08 08:17 AM
    I'd like to hear the answer to this also, since DM 4.2.2 is the only DM that I can get to work without any errors!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 10:36 AM
    Same boat here. Can anyone who already has the Storm confirm whether or not you are required to use the latest Desktop Manager software?
    11-20-08 05:40 AM
    I got the storm today, so I'll play over the weekend and see if it works. Man...It'll suck if it doesn't. *crossing fingers*
    11-21-08 03:48 PM
    I'll be waiting anxiously to see how you make out! Definitely post your results!!!
    11-21-08 05:27 PM
    Got it up and running. Syncs fine with V4.2.2 and outlook 2000.
    11-22-08 09:03 PM
    I need to know what you have done. I have wasted hours all weekend on this. I have the Storm and downloaded 4.2.2 with service back. I can NOT get it to sync with outlook 2000. I can't even get the 4.2.2 to see the Storm. My computer see the Storm no problem. PLEASE HELP!!! I can't stand not having my 200 contacts!!
    11-23-08 11:03 PM
    I know what the other users issues are, but udetective, can't you install a later version of DM?
    11-24-08 01:01 AM
    i thought you had to have DM 4.7 to work with the 4.7 os on the storm
    11-24-08 01:34 AM
    I also had this problem and I need to use desktop manager 4.2 because it is the latest version supplied by my company. It took me all weekend, but I've got it working perfectly now. The solution is below:

Here is what you'll need:
    - http://www.blackberry.com]BlackBerry
    - click on software
    - click on blackberry desktop software
    - click on downloads
    - choose BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers
    - download the latest one (Blackberry USB and Modem Drivers ITA(DM4.7b50))

- you'll also need the install for your desktop manager software (the install of the driver will mess it up so it'll have to be re-installed. I used desktop manager 4.2.2.14, which is what my company uses. I don't have admin rights to my computer so it was "pushed" to me.

Here is the procedure:
    - blackberry should not be connected at this point and you should disable Media Transfer Protocal (MTP) mode (in options, memory - change it to "off")
    - run the usb driver install (right click and choose "install")
    - when it is all done, connect your blackberry and it should install as a "blackberry smartphone", not a MTP device.
    - after your device is installed, the file c:\windows\system32\drivers\rimusb.sys will be created. At this point, you need to copy that file to your desktop.
    - disconnect your blackberry
    - now install the desktop manager 4.2 software but do not reboot computer right away. This install will delete the file mentioned before "rimusb.sys", you need to copy it back to the directory c:\windows\system32\drivers\ before rebooting.
    - copy the file to the drivers directory then reboot the computer
    - after re-starting, your device should still work and desktop manager (the 4.2 version) will be installed.

This worked for me - hope it works for you.

Justin
    11-24-08 06:32 AM
    I seriously don't want to take the Storm back but I may have to. I followed your directions above and it didn't work either. I have windows XP with admin rights. I am running Outlook 2000. I have tried dm 4.7, 4.2, and 4.2 with service back. I tried downloading usb drivers and still NOTHING. I had a Motorola Q and tried to transfer data in dm4.7 between the two and I got an error. Any other ideas. Thanks so much for all the ideas so far!!
    11-24-08 10:21 AM
    Waldo my biggest problem is dm 4.2.2 never sees my device. Whether I run the software as an admin or user. If I unplug and replug back in, my PC sees the Storm fine. The DM is the one that doesn't see it. Any other ideas??? Thanks
    11-24-08 10:23 AM
    I used the bluetooth connection from DM 4.2.2, never used the USB connection at all. I did it all over BT. I could not find the USB drivers. Since I've already installed 4.2.2, I'm going to try the USB drivers tonight Montgj04 suggested and see if they work.
    11-24-08 03:35 PM
    It works just like Montgj04 said. Thanks.

A few items to be aware of. Uninstall all DM that have been installed before beginning. I used system restore to go back to before I ever installed the storm. Followed the directions exactly, now I have USB support and Bluetooth using 4.2.2.14.
    11-24-08 09:49 PM
    Thanks waldo549 - I had also uninstalled everything before starting the process, but I forgot to add that in my post. Glad it's working for you.
    11-25-08 06:43 AM
    I did that but I'll have to try it again. For the short term, I opened a yahoo account. Uploaded my contacts there and got them uploaded onto storm using dm4.7 I almost started crying lastnight I was so frustrated joking!! I'll keep trying or just fork out the money for microsoft office 2007
    11-25-08 09:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD