09-29-13 01:05 PM
27 12
tools
    As a Mechanical Engineering student, I was taught about the importance of Quality and Reliabilty in Manufacturing Industries. Sadly I dont think this is taken as a top priority in Blackberry (or RIM). I purchased my first blackberry device, Touch 9860 (Touch 3) in September, 2012 for $390. My experience has been awful!
    How can engineers in Blackberry design a phone with camera shutter button, volume and mute side buttons perpetually unreachable and difficult to use?
    How can engineers in Blackberry design a phone heavily dependent on data access and services with a poor 1230mAh battery that barely last for 6 hours without recharge?
    How can they design a phone with an Operating system (OS 7 and 0S 7.1) that always hangs annoyingly (even in situations where the phone is needed most to do its basic job, make calls, or send messages, a search the internet)? A phone that is quick to display a white screen and perpetually reloading?
    How can they design an app, Application Resource Monitor that did more harm than good! Killing my productivity with JVM errors, resets and exits!
    What business do I have with troubleshooting my phone, reloading, taking out the battery (this is most annoying!), restoring.ohhh the list goes on!
    What were Blackberry Engineers doing? What were they innovating? What were they being paid for? Where they blind to innovations in Nokia, Apple, HTC and Samsung?
    Now my touch 3 is unusable just after a year of use and purchased from a reliable store. I cannot even resell it.ohh Blackbery, such a fine name, logo, messaging service, but a failed hardware and software design team headed by myopic CEOs (founders Basillie and Mike.)
    So, what faith do I have in Blackberry 10, its devices, engineering team and CEO Mr.Heinz after this sad and unfortunate experience?
    Well I guess the hand is already writing on the wall as seen in the recent sack of 1500 workers, loss in profits and poor sales of Blackberry 10 devices, as well as the failed bid to meet the timeline (or clearly state one) for BBM on Android and iOS devices (nobody is even talking about BBM on Windows Phone 8.1).
    What faith do I have in the alleged bid of Fairfax to revamp entirely the dwindling fortunes of the Blackberry brand?
    There seems to be more questions than answers as well as uncertainties about this brand.
    On this note, I sign off and look forward to find happiness and boost my productivity with the LG G2 and Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
    NB: Blackberry Playbook was a disaster!
    ADVICE: There is more to a Smartphone than Security and BBM.
    09-29-13 08:43 AM
    A rant feels good sometimes

Posted via iPhone 5s
    unbreakablej, eldricho and DJM626 like this.
    09-29-13 08:46 AM
    OK, first, are you opened to discussion or that's a final answer? You are in a *forum* after all.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    09-29-13 08:47 AM
    I have experienced almost non of that on mine. Maybe you have a defective one or maybe because I don't use many apps?
    09-29-13 08:49 AM
    He just want people to say he's right. Ok. You are right,my dear engineer!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 08:51 AM
    Instead of ranting, sell ur BlackBerry and get a phone of yr choice. And then rant about that phone and repeat the process.

Curve 8320, Bold 9780, Bold 9900, PB 64gb, Z10
    09-29-13 09:02 AM
    Help me out guys, what is a "touch 3"? I have heard Storm 3 and Torch and they are touch screens but never before have I heard "touch 3".
    riyanast likes this.
    09-29-13 09:08 AM
    Wow! Your imagined world sounds fantastic, however as an engineer myself i prefer to work in the real world Where i get paid to make things work... just saying

Posted via CB10
    sklotz2000 likes this.
    09-29-13 09:10 AM
    I had a 9850. I never really had any such issues with it. BUT I agree the volume buttons design is quite annoying. I used a case which helped a lot.
    codeslinga likes this.
    09-29-13 09:14 AM
    I see, maybe it was an autocorrect issue. Doesn't matter either way. Epic first post, checked many of the flame war boxes and even knocked BBs hardware design. Something I have never heard before. In the end, it sounded more like sales pitch.
    09-29-13 09:15 AM
    Considering the engineering side of BB10 is superior to legacy devices I would say you had a bad experience with an old outdated product. The same product that made BlackBerry a powerhouse at one point mind you. And you are equating that to their latest offering without so much as picking one up and trying it. Go get whatever phone you want man and leave your superior engineering opinion out of it.
    codeslinga likes this.
    09-29-13 09:16 AM
    Dear OP. You're a student, come back after you have your stamp and make some stuff.

Posted via CB10
    codeslinga and ESCON like this.
    09-29-13 09:19 AM
    Instead of ranting, sell ur BlackBerry and get a phone of yr choice. And then rant about that phone and repeat the process.
    I so agree. If you dont like the phone much then it's best to sell it ang buy a new one. Just to make things lighter here
    09-29-13 09:24 AM
    As a Mechanical Engineering student, I was taught about the importance of Quality and Reliabilty in Manufacturing Industries. Sadly I dont think this is taken as a top priority in Blackberry (or RIM). I purchased my first blackberry device, Touch 9860 (Touch 3) in September, 2012 for $390. My experience has been awful!
    How can engineers in Blackberry design a phone with camera shutter button, volume and mute side buttons perpetually unreachable and difficult to use?
    How can engineers in Blackberry design a phone heavily dependent on data access and services with a poor 1230mAh battery that barely last for 6 hours without recharge?
    How can they design a phone with an Operating system (OS 7 and 0S 7.1) that always hangs annoyingly (even in situations where the phone is needed most to do its basic job, make calls, or send messages, a search the internet)? A phone that is quick to display a white screen and perpetually reloading?
    How can they design an app, Application Resource Monitor that did more harm than good! Killing my productivity with JVM errors, resets and exits!
    What business do I have with troubleshooting my phone, reloading, taking out the battery (this is most annoying!), restoring.ohhh the list goes on!
    What were Blackberry Engineers doing? What were they innovating? What were they being paid for? Where they blind to innovations in Nokia, Apple, HTC and Samsung?
    Now my touch 3 is unusable just after a year of use and purchased from a reliable store. I cannot even resell it.ohh Blackbery, such a fine name, logo, messaging service, but a failed hardware and software design team headed by myopic CEOs (founders Basillie and Mike.)
    So, what faith do I have in Blackberry 10, its devices, engineering team and CEO Mr.Heinz after this sad and unfortunate experience?
    Well I guess the hand is already writing on the wall as seen in the recent sack of 1500 workers, loss in profits and poor sales of Blackberry 10 devices, as well as the failed bid to meet the timeline (or clearly state one) for BBM on Android and iOS devices (nobody is even talking about BBM on Windows Phone 8.1).
    What faith do I have in the alleged bid of Fairfax to revamp entirely the dwindling fortunes of the Blackberry brand?
    There seems to be more questions than answers as well as uncertainties about this brand.
    On this note, I sign off and look forward to find happiness and boost my productivity with the LG G2 and Microsoft Surface Pro 2.
    Hey if your issues on your" touch 3 " are buttons get a Z10 there are almost none!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 09:26 AM
    Should have done more research before buying and purchased a 9900. Perhaps you should purchase a larger after market battery or carry a spare. Make sure you close your apps. Perhaps reload your OS? Seek advice on cleaning up your memory on the device
    09-29-13 09:27 AM
    Cool story, OP.

And oh yeah, btw, there's TORCH , 2 and 3.
    Not TOUCH. And you've been using it since September 2012? Lol, cool story.
    09-29-13 09:57 AM
    Do you know the law of checking before buying?

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:22 AM
    First off the experience you have with BBOS products wouldn't be the same as the one you would have with a BB10 OS product. They're of the same brand, but are on two different sides of the family. Oh and you're right there is more to a smartphone than BBM. That's probably one reason why BlackBerry decided to go cross platform with it. It was already planned in 2007, it's just being put to use this year.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:35 AM
    Hmmm OP, your first post and ranting.. and your last post. Are you for real?
    09-29-13 10:48 AM
    I hope you didn't mean sign off in that you won't take any rebuttal for your claims.

As for your issues, I'm interested to hear where you think a better placement of those buttons would be. Different sides of the device? Closer together? Further apart? To my untrained eye I think they are just fine.

As far as your other issues, it really sounds like you might have a lemon of a device. A coworker of mine was experiencing some of those issues on her 9850 and I suggested she do a security wipe of her device and she said that fixed things right up. If there were serious unfixable issues with your device, I'm afraid you've gone past your warranty period to exchange your phone. If you've been struggling with these issues for that long you really should have addressed them sooner.

The new BB10 devices share similarities with their BBOS predecessors in name alone. They run on QNX instead of the old java based platform. They're slick and intuitive with minimal hang ups. I think if you tried them out in the store for yourself you'd see the difference right away.

I can't fault you for going with the LG G2 and Surface Pro 2. Both look like incredible devices.
    09-29-13 10:57 AM
    Look like Trolling! The Engeneer doen't have time to check his thread!

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 10:57 AM
    I've used 9860 before so I agree on the "hang" part. The phone always hang even when u only got whatsapp running other than the core apps. whatsapp for bbos problem maybe. Because the phone wont hang if I turn whatsapp off. But I can say the os itself is bad as CPU always go as high as 100 if u do anything. Even when u are scrolling through page. But with my Z10 now I am satisfied. Only got bad battery life as I am a heavy user with bad coverage.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:05 AM
    My 9860 was great till I destroyed it. The only reason I got rid of it was the touch keyboard started to fail after water was dropped on it.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:50 AM
    LOL, Funny very funny.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    09-29-13 11:56 AM
    Should have done more research before buying and purchased a 9900. Perhaps you should purchase a larger after market battery or carry a spare. Make sure you close your apps. Perhaps reload your OS? Seek advice on cleaning up your memory on the device
    9860 was actually a really good product. My battery life was way better on my 9860 than my friends 9900's. It also had a way better camera than the 9900.

Keyboard was a ***** to live with but what touchscreen at the time wasn't compared to the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-13 11:57 AM
27 12