Blackberry defines its 'prosumer' target market

Michael Clewley also states that they haven't given up of some of the top name apps.

Additional links:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/when-...mean-1.1503062

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blackberry-...--finance.html
    Last edited by dhutt; 10-18-13 at 04:18 PM.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    10-18-13 12:57 PM
    Todd Wood, senior vice president of design, said some think the "pro" in prosumer stands for professional, but it can also be short for producer.

"They create more content than they consume, in most cases, and arguably that was the original definition of prosumer," said Wood.
    Interesting spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    10-18-13 01:04 PM
    I like what Michael Clewley said about the apps. He's totally right, though we do need more banking and finance apps. Other than that though, he's right about typical BlackBerry users probably not caring so much about the fun apps. I know I don't use many games on my phone. They're nice to have, but they are certainly not a first or even second priority for me to have on my device.
    10-18-13 01:59 PM
    SO, according to BlackBerry, a prosumer:

• Believes a smartphone is primarily a communications device and a productivity machine
    • Does not consider applications to be primary or sometimes even secondary
    • Uses very targeted specific applications, and only uses the app store to look for apps that help get the job done
    • Creates more content than he or she consumes
    • Thinks of him or herself as an enterprise

Alrighty then. I'm reminded of that scene in Ace Ventura where Jim Carrey is talking out of his . . . never mind.
    10-18-13 02:09 PM
    Michael Clewly - "While applications are good to have in some respects they're not primary or sometimes even secondary for that type of user. And if they do use applications they're using very targeted specific applications, they're not spending a lot of time in the storefront browsing for the latest or greatest or trying to find out what's hot and stuff like that. They're going to look for apps that help get the job done for them."
    Like Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, Netflix, etc... Some times I have a sense these people have no idea who their customers are. They are stuck on who their customers WERE, six (6) years ago.
    10-18-13 02:14 PM
    OK, so what's the difference between a prosumer and a producer then?
    10-18-13 02:18 PM
    Like Instagram, Vine, Snapchat, Netflix, etc... Some times I have a sense these people have no idea who their customers are. They are stuck on who their customers WERE, six (6) years ago.
    Seems like BBRY is regressing to their old business model of marginalizing apps. Hasn't this model already been tried and proven to be a failure? Unless BBRY can come out with some game-changing feature (without third party support I guess?) that makes its users signficantly more "productive", isn't this just more of the same?
    10-18-13 02:18 PM
    Blackberry defines its 'prosumer' target market

Michael Clewley also states that they haven't given up of some of the top name apps.
    The link dont seem to work?

can you add another?
    10-18-13 02:20 PM
    I'm sorry... What? Instagram OK, I will give you that, that can be a good tool for marketing your business, Vine MAYBE, snapchat? What does that help a professional get done aside from send discrete **** pics? Netflix? Give me a break.

I think you are missing the point. "Prosumers" in theory, want banking apps, want etrade or stock management apps, want presentation apps, want apps that will help them run a business, they want square or some kind of credit card app they want invoice apps. Snapchat is for children.
    10-18-13 02:38 PM
    The link dont seem to work?

can you add another?
    Added new link to story from CTV News in OP.
    10-18-13 04:15 PM
    I'm sorry... What? Instagram OK, I will give you that, that can be a good tool for marketing your business, Vine MAYBE, snapchat? What does that help a professional get done aside from send discrete **** pics? Netflix? Give me a break.

I think you are missing the point. "Prosumers" in theory, want banking apps, want etrade or stock management apps, want presentation apps, want apps that will help them run a business, they want square or some kind of credit card app they want invoice apps. Snapchat is for children.
    I agree. Instagram and Vine are both social networking apps or a part of social networking apps i.e. Facebook and Twitter. Since BlackBerry is both a social network platform and business tool I can see those two being a part of BlackBerry's ecosystem. The others (maybe Netflix) not so much.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 04:25 PM
    Instagram is nowadays an important Social Network to market your business. Period.

I've never liked the fact that BlackBerry call themselves a communication enterprise when they cannot sort out proper Twitter and Facebook applications. Not to mention the ones that aren't here yet. I know it's not entirely their fault, but still...

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 05:00 PM

Well-stated.

I just hope BlackBerry has finally figured something out for certain this time.

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.4780 TMO US
    10-18-13 05:19 PM

That doesn't sound like it's for children at all.

More seriously, a platform that prides itself on communication, yet is unable to use methods which millions of people are already communicating with seem counterintuitive.
    bbq10l, Tre Lawrence and Drew808 like this.
    10-18-13 05:21 PM
    That doesn't sound like it's for children at all.

More seriously, a platform that prides itself on communication, yet is unable to use methods which millions of people are already communicating with seem counterintuitive.
    Missing the point.. They are focusing on people who want to get **** done... Not send **** pics to their pals to look at for a few seconds. I can see a difference. Not sure I'm comfortable with the distinction But I will say I fall into the core they described./ Productive Communication is key, cute apps are not....
    gfondeur and jupiter8 like this.
    10-18-13 05:34 PM
    Firstly, people who get things done need apps for editing pics and vids, sharing them, collaborating on commonly used platforms like Google's services, reliable Skype, reliable cross platform messaging and communications apps, and banking apps, just to name a few.
    Obviously, when you include professionals in more fields, they have more specific needs.
    BlackBerry is absolutely not the platform for these people generally.
    Most of the apps on BB10 are games and city guides etc, how does that help 'get things done'?

Keep in mind Clewley and most of the BB high ups are absolutely clueless, try talking to them or commenting on BBM channels, you will find they are either rude, dismissive, or will block you if they don't like what you have to say or your questions.
    Unprofessional, unreliable, and unlikeable.
    And this Clewley guy is the poster boy.
    10-18-13 05:44 PM
    This doesn't look trivial. I think it's built in to Windows 8 now.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/17/4...id-screenshots
    Last edited by heymaggie; 10-18-13 at 06:11 PM.
    10-18-13 05:54 PM

...and I think you are missing my point that those things are not the things that these mythical "prosumers" want BUT it is what the average person wants. That is the disconnect that BlackBerry management has right now.

Just based on the number of threads on this site alone I would say these are popular apps, for the "prosumer" as well as the average user. Reread the comment again along with the one I was replying to and you will see that making the exact same point.

Personally, I could not care less about any of those four and would like to see more of the apps targeted to the medical and EMS community, for an example, but I am not deluded enough to think that "prosumers", whoever they may be have no interest in what some consider diversions.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-18-13 06:14 PM
    Can one person be both a "prosumer" and a "consumer"? I would say, yes. In fact, I would say that the vast majority are both.
    If so, the vast majority of prosumers would need 2 phones, one for work and one for personal use. Just like it was 6 years ago.
    Oh wait, isn't that what started the whole byod thingy.

Yes, yes, it's retro, back to the good old days. Problem solved. Mike L comes back and we are done here.
    bbq10l and kevinnugent like this.
    10-18-13 06:37 PM
    Missing the point.. They are focusing on people who want to get **** done... Not send **** pics to their pals to look at for a few seconds. I can see a difference. Not sure I'm comfortable with the distinction But I will say I fall into the core they described./ Productive Communication is key, cute apps are not....
    Dirty pics aside (as not everyone uses it for such things) Snapchat IS a communication app. Used by millions. Not at least having the option to install it limits the one thing you describe as key for your device.
    10-18-13 06:52 PM
    I'm a professional, I spend a lot of nights in hotels, netflix and Skygo for me are essential.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    10-18-13 07:00 PM
    As a doctor working in the UK, the British national formulary provides a free drug reference app for iOS and android.
    BlackBerry? No chance.
    Targetting 'prosumers' will just lead to egg on face down the road.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-13 07:11 PM

"Prosumers" in theory, want banking apps, want etrade or stock management apps, want presentation apps, want apps that will help them run a business, they want square or some kind of credit card app they want invoice apps.
    I agree with you on this at least, and I'm certain that you did not mention all the apps necessary. Definitely on the right page.

(BBM#33)
    10-18-13 07:13 PM
    I'm a professional, I spend a lot of nights in hotels, netflix and Skygo for me are essential.

I'm a regular Joe, and I too like these simple apps when I am in transit.

(BBM#33)
    bbq10l and PFman like this.
    10-18-13 07:14 PM

Obviously you are not doing enough work if you need to watch Netflix and use Skygo in your hotel room. BlackBerry isn't for you.
    10-18-13 07:59 PM
118 123 ...