My carrier (Rogers Wireless) has absolutely horrible data plans. I was gonna get an iPhone 3G on July 11th, but I decided to get a Blackberry instead cauz it uses less data.

I'm just wondering...how much data does an average Blackberry user use?

How many Megabytes do you guys use up per month? What do you do on your Blackberry?

***Your information will help me decide which Blackberry plan to get***w
    07-03-08 05:20 PM
    Does Rogers offer unlimited data plans? If so, stick with unlimited. It is your safest bet to not go over your alotted data for the month and encounter huge charges.

That being said, I wouldn't say there is any "average" amount of data that anyone uses... We all vary. Some of us use email a lot, others don't. Same with the browser and Blackberry Messenger features. Just try to think about how much you personally will be using these features.
    07-03-08 05:30 PM
    Could not have said it better the ^she did,
    and for a lot of us it can vary a lot from
    month to month
    07-03-08 05:33 PM
    Between my desk machine, my laptop and my BB I *seldom* pass the 150 MB mark. Most of my stuff is work related though. I do not download movies or multiple copies of War & Peace. For whatever that's worth.... My carrier (Alltel) tells me that I have a truly unlimited data plan but I suspect I was bumping 5 GB in transfers I would hear about it. I often use my BB as a modem for my laptop and even that doesn't push the envelope.
    07-03-08 05:33 PM
    If I could find out how much data I use, I would tell you, but I don't know how to find out
    07-03-08 05:34 PM
    Just depends on how I'm feeling, and how much work there is to do... Your best option is just like Jenay & AG said...Unlimited....That way theres NO guess work....
    07-03-08 05:35 PM
    Definitely get the unlimited data plan if offered. I didn't get it at first and the first month I was under. The second month I really learned what my berry could do especially through this site and I was way over. Since then I switched to unlimited data and am always on my berry (like right now).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-08 05:40 PM
    Does Rogers offer unlimited data plans?
    Rogers is a GSM monopoly in this country =( Many petitions and protests have taken place.

It does NOT have unlimited

The cheapest plan is $30 for 300MB...but I'm not sure if 300MB/month is enough ><
    07-03-08 05:40 PM
    Rogers is a GSM monopoly in this country =( Many petitions and protests have taken place.

It does NOT have unlimited

The cheapest plan is $30 for 300MB...but I'm not sure if 300MB/month is enough ><
    07-03-08 05:49 PM
    here, ill show u the plans:

$15/m - 1.5 megabytes
    $25/m - 4 megabytes
    $30/m - 300 megabytes
    $50/m - 500 Megabytes
    $60/m - 1GB
    $80/m - 3GB
    $100/m - 6GB

horrible plans eh? there are two GSM carriers here in Canada, but the other one was bought by Rogers ><...so essentially they have the same monopoly-ish policies
    07-03-08 05:53 PM
    Wow. Just wow.......................... Amazing.
    07-03-08 05:54 PM
    Does the data plan include text messaging?
    07-03-08 05:55 PM
    Wow. Just wow.......................... Amazing.
    anwayz....(sigh) do u think 300MB a month is enough? I'm just gonna do general web browsing for like half an hour a day, news, email...no youtube
    07-03-08 05:56 PM

nope. u gotta get an additional voice plan + text message plan. Caller ID isn't included either. really ********
    07-03-08 05:57 PM
    No. Text and data are two different things.

anwayz....(sigh) do u think 300MB a month is enough? I'm just gonna do general web browsing for like half an hour a day, news, email...no youtube
    I don't want to point you in the wrong direction. I would think that 300MB a month would be enough for you, as long as you are not using the browser/email excessively.
    07-03-08 05:58 PM
    Well, I'll try to give you some numbers.

I'm a reasonably heavy user, with BES for corporate email and 9 BIS accounts, use Weather Channel regularly, occasional browsing but not heavy user of browsing.

My monthly data usage is always between 12mb and 15mb per month. I have seen as high as 25 mb in one month when I was traveling without my laptop and my BB was my window to the world. AT&T provides a summary of data usage on the monthly detailed bill, and I just checked my usage over the last 12 months.

So -- while others say "get the unlimited plan" my usage pattern would say - with data -- get the unlimited plan.

At $.04 per kb over a 4bm plan, my average of 15mb would result in a monthly overage charge of $440 !!!

So, even if you are a low data user, and say you only go over by a megabyte, it's $40 per megabyte over the plan. It's what -- about $5 per month to go from a 4mb plan to unlimited?

It's a pretty clear choice !!
    07-03-08 06:01 PM
    i used about 2mb this month.

I use my unlim for internet, not a addicted amount but for when i need it like for addresses, phone numbers, surf reports

I also use turn by turn GPS, MMS messaging and email on my phone
    07-03-08 06:03 PM

So -- while others say "get the unlimited plan" my usage pattern would say - with data -- get the unlimited plan.

not sure if u read my previous posts or not but...Rogers doesnt have unlimited
    07-03-08 06:04 PM
    ok -- just saw saintsdabu05 listing of the Rogers data plans -- they ARE terrible -- and I'll take back my comment about 5 bucks for an unlimited plan.

Makes me grateful I'm on AT&T.

But, at least you have a guideline on how much data is used in a month.
    07-03-08 06:05 PM

I'm a reasonably heavy user, with BES for corporate email and 9 BIS accounts, use Weather Channel regularly, occasional browsing but not heavy user of browsing.

My monthly data usage is always between 12mb and 15mb per month. I have seen as high as 25 mb in one month when I was traveling without my laptop and my BB was my window to the world. AT&T provides a summary of data usage on the monthly detailed bill, and I just checked my usage over the last 12 months.

At $.04 per kb over a 4bm plan, my average of 15mb would result in a monthly overage charge of $440 !!!

So, even if you are a low data user, and say you only go over by a megabyte, it's $40 per megabyte over the plan. It's what -- about $5 per month to go from a 4mb plan to unlimited?

Go Blue,
    How do you check data for past few months from website?
    07-03-08 06:05 PM
    Cell Phones and cell phone plans - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Either create an account, or sign into the one you have.
    Then you can look at the activity for each
    phone on your account
    07-03-08 06:13 PM
    Cell Phones and cell phone plans - | Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Either create an account, or sign into the one you have.
    Then you can look at the activity for each
    phone on your account
    Yes i know that...I have a family plan so I still have not found out how to check for previous months for individual phones
    07-03-08 06:15 PM
    Mistake < --- about 20 MB this month
    07-03-08 06:18 PM
    You thinks those data rates are bad? I'm on the $30 for 300Mb plan now after switching from $60 for 25Mb!! The new Rogers plans are not great, but are light years better than they used to be.

Start with 300Mb, and halfway through the billing cycle, call up Rogers and ask them to tell you what you data usage has been. That should give you a pretty clear idea. There are also some 3rd party apps like MiniMoni which can help you track your usage.
    07-03-08 06:51 PM
    No kidding Jenay - Rogers is now the ONLY provider up here without Unlimited. Telus has had it for a long time, Bell added it in May. $30 Unlimited. Up until then, Bell's options were 4 MB for $25 a and 8 MB for $45, or Unlimited Email and BBM for $15 per month, and you could use the workaround and surf without them knowing.

The speculation was Rogers was going to add Unlimited when the iPhone rolled out, but they kept with their standard of being utter assholes and instead offered completely unreasonable rates. Needless to say, Bell or Telus I doubt are really concerned over losing people to Rogers.
    Last edited by reeneebob; 07-03-08 at 06:56 PM.
    07-03-08 06:54 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD