And the truth is that there was never anything blackberry could have done to stay on top. Not when the massive monopolies decided to get in the smartphone business.
    Apple was a monopoy when the iPhone was released? That's laughable. They had a monopoly on portable music players, but that hardly translates to success in mobile phones. Just look at Sony.

And Microsoft? They're hardly better off today than Blackberry.
    02-21-16 08:55 AM
    Apple was a monopoy when the iPhone was released? That's laughable. They had a monopoly on portable music players, but that hardly translates to success in mobile phones. Just look at Sony.

And Microsoft? They're hardly better off today than Blackberry.
    Actually, Apple never had a monopoly on portable music players either, not in the sense that "monopoly" is used economically. Apple's ipods were certainly dominant in that market, in that everyone wanted one, but other music players were available (due to my contrarian ways, I had a Creative Zen player) and could be freely chosen by consumers had they wanted.

But, that's just me being pedantic, and your points are well-made.

The "Tools Not Toys" mantra is pure arrogance inspired by MikeL's world-view that he knew best what the world wanted. I guess Mike was wrong given both BlackBerry's current standing in the smartphone world, and how professionals using their non-BB devices seem to helping the world tick-along quite productively.

As to the dozens of posters on CB who have over the years deduced that the reason for BlackBerry's failure is entirely due to a global conspiracy of gigantic proportions organised by governments, stock markets, and media organisations throughout the world... well, it's always made me chuckle; and conclude that there simply isn't enough tin-foil in the whole world to go around.
    02-21-16 09:40 AM
    As to the dozens of posters on CB who have over the years deduced that the reason for BlackBerry's failure is entirely due to a global conspiracy of gigantic proportions organised by governments, stock markets, and media organisations throughout the world... well, it's always made me chuckle; and conclude that there simply isn't enough tin-foil in the whole world to go around.
    Maybe we should all invest in aluminum futures.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-21-16 10:58 AM
    Are we to understand BlackBerry uses tin foil as its bullet proof security?
    02-21-16 11:04 AM
    Actually, Apple never had a monopoly on portable music players either, not in the sense that "monopoly" is used economically. Apple's ipods were certainly dominant in that market, in that everyone wanted one, but other music players were available (due to my contrarian ways, I had a Creative Zen player) and could be freely chosen by consumers had they wanted.

But, that's just me being pedantic, and your points are well-made.

The "Tools Not Toys" mantra is pure arrogance inspired by MikeL's world-view that he knew best what the world wanted. I guess Mike was wrong given both BlackBerry's current standing in the smartphone world, and how professionals using their non-BB devices seem to helping the world tick-along quite productively.

You don't seem to understand. Yes they were a monopoly in the music player business and scored enormous profits from that line of business. When they then use those profits from another line of business to enter a new market they aren't playing by the same rules as others who don't have other lines of business to subsidize a new one. Just like Sega had no chance when Microsoft and Sony decided to enter the video game business. Sega didn't make tv's or office software to pay for their video game business. The only reason microsoft has failed in the phone market is because unlike killing the little guy in Sega they are up against other giants in the smartphone business.

It's pretty simple to understand and why we're headed to the wall-e buy n large world.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 11:23 AM
    You don't seem to understand. Yes they were a monopoly in the music player business and scored enormous profits from that line of business. When they then use those profits from another line of business to enter a new market they aren't playing by the same rules as others who don't have other lines of business to subsidize a new one. Just like Sega had no chance when Microsoft and Sony decided to enter the video game business. Sega didn't make tv's or office software to pay for their video game business. The only reason microsoft has failed in the phone market is because unlike killing the little guy in Sega they are up against other giants in the smartphone business.

It's pretty simple to understand and why we're headed to the wall-e buy n large world.

Posted via CB10
    No, they were not a monopoly. There was plenty of competition in the market when they entered.

The biggest difference between Apple and the other manufacturers was that they INNOVATED in the space in a number of consumer-friendly ways. Everything from ease-of-use on the device's (iPod) interface to integration and easy syncing. Ditto for purchasing and managing music.

Anyone who used a Rio, Samsung Yepp, Creative Zen or whatever else knows what I'm talking about. Heck, it was 5 years after the iPod before other MP3 players would form a bloc to standardize with PlaysForSure and MTP to bring this convenience to non-iPod players. By then it was too late.

But it wasn't a monopoly. Being better than your completion who keeps their head in the sand is the exact opposite of a monopoly.
    02-21-16 11:56 AM
    No, they were not a monopoly. There was plenty of competition in the market when they entered.

The biggest difference between Apple and the other manufacturers was that they INNOVATED in the space in a number of consumer-friendly ways. Everything from ease-of-use on the device's (iPod) interface to integration and easy syncing. Ditto for purchasing and managing music.

Anyone who used a Rio, Samsung Yepp, Creative Zen or whatever else knows what I'm talking about. Heck, it was 5 years after the iPod before other MP3 players would form a bloc to standardize with PlaysForSure and MTP to bring this convenience to non-iPod players. By then it was too late.

But it wasn't a monopoly. Being better than your completion who keeps their head in the sand is the exact opposite of a monopoly.
    Yes it was. Just because there are other options doesn't mean it's not. If you have an overwhelming marketshare you are one. Microsoft office has a monopoly even though competitors existed in word perfect or open office.

Then these giants use those positions and profits to enter new markets which is being subsidized by another line of business to force out the originals.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 12:32 PM
    Yes it was. Just because there are other options doesn't mean it's not. If you have an overwhelming marketshare you are one. Microsoft office has a monopoly even though competitors existed in word perfect or open office.

Then these giants use those positions and profits to enter new markets which is being subsidized by another line of business to force out the originals.

Posted via CB10
    I think you really need to look up the definition of monopoly.

What you're describing is the lack of capitalizing on the "first mover advantage" of many markets.

Typically due to the first-mover's inability to recognize the competition, stay agile or innovate to the market changes.

In layman's terms, being first does not mean being the best.

Microsoft took over the office market because they gave consumers a much better product.

And this was before Microsoft became the juggernaut you're describing. In fact, their success at supplanting WordPerfect in the early 90s is what helped them become a juggernaut.
    02-21-16 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    A monopoly only exists in the absence of competition. They have a plurality, just as BlackBerry once did in Enterprise.
    TgeekB likes this.
    02-21-16 01:12 PM
    You don't seem to understand. Yes they were a monopoly in the music player business and scored enormous profits from that line of business. When they then use those profits from another line of business to enter a new market they aren't playing by the same rules as others who don't have other lines of business to subsidize a new one. Just like Sega had no chance when Microsoft and Sony decided to enter the video game business.
    Then what about Nintendo? They didn't have anything other than video games, and they held their own just fine against Microsoft and Sony until the ill-conceived Wii-U.

And in the mobile space, why didn't Microsoft succeed? They had more power and influence than Google and Apple combined, at least when Android was released to the public. Why isn't Windows Phone doing better than ~1% marketshare?

No, the real explanation is that Apple and Google made products that people wanted, and Blackberry and Microsoft didn't move fast enough to respond, and didn't make products that were good enough to displace the newly-established players when they finally did respond.
    02-21-16 02:34 PM
    Then what about Nintendo? They didn't have anything other than video games, and they held their own just fine against Microsoft and Sony until the ill-conceived Wii-U.

And in the mobile space, why didn't Microsoft succeed? They had more power and influence than Google and Apple combined, at least when Android was released to the public. Why isn't Windows Phone doing better than ~1% marketshare?

No, the real explanation is that Apple and Google made products that people wanted, and Blackberry and Microsoft didn't move fast enough to respond, and didn't make products that were good enough to displace the newly-established players when they finally did respond.
    Well yeah nintendo and blackberry are both still going and blackberry held their own during the Wii time as well but both are struggling under the pressure of the giants. It's funny because nintendo and blackberry are two that don't just put out cookie cutter products that all look the same and they seem to get punished for that.

Sure apple and google made decent products but nothing special. They just can actually market their products with the piles of cash they have. Heck webos was superior to both at the time. And microsoft isn't bullying around the little guys in the smartphone business. Google and apple have just as many if not more resources.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-16 04:30 PM
    Well yeah nintendo and blackberry are both still going and blackberry held their own during the Wii time as well but both are struggling under the pressure of the giants. It's funny because nintendo and blackberry are two that don't just put out cookie cutter products that all look the same and they seem to get punished for that.

Sure apple and google made decent products but nothing special. They just can actually market their products with the piles of cash they have. Heck webos was superior to both at the time. And microsoft isn't bullying around the little guys in the smartphone business. Google and apple have just as many if not more resources.

Posted via CB10
    A unique or special product does not translate into a successful product.

Many fans of Nintendo will tell you part of the reason it's market cratered was due to Nintendo's stance on many types of games. Mario (in all his forms) is not enough to sustain a platform.

When companies think they don't need to adapt because they believe they know better than their customers - well, they usually fail.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-21-16 05:38 PM
    Follow-up : I believe it's relevant and fair to link this here (you may want to update the maths, at the same time), isn't it ?

These roles are located in Silicon Valley and the Bay Area at BlackBerry (Pleasanton), AtHoc (San Mateo), and Good Technology (Sunnyvale) in a variety of functional areas including: Sales, Marketing, Software Development, Quality Assurance, Operations, IT, and Professional Services. The upcoming networking event will include keynote speeches from our senior leadership team as well as demonstrations on current and upcoming products. If you are interested in joining us, please apply directly to this position. To provide a snapshot of current positions that are available, please see the list below.
    BlackBerry hosting networking event seeking new employees at all levels | CrackBerry.com

Oh, and yeah: thanks Bla1ze.
    02-25-16 09:29 AM
    It looks like John Chen is swinging the axe at BlackBerry. The company confirmed to TechCrunch that it let go �a small number of employees� in Waterloo and Sunrise, FL�. Update: BlackBerry updated its statement and now says 200 people were laid off. This comes after a report by the Global And Mail that the befallen smartphone maker cut 75 jobs at its Florida manufacturing facility. Then, separately, MobileSyrup states BlackBerry is cutting 35% of its workforce in its Waterloo headquarters. Official statement: �As BlackBerry continues to execute its turnaround plan, we remain focused on driving efficiencies across our global workforce. This means finding new ways to enable us to capitalize on growth opportunities, while driving toward sustainable profitability across all parts of our business. As a result, approximately 200 employees have been impacted in Canada and Florida. It also means that BlackBerry is actively recruiting in those areas of our business that will drive growth. For those employees that have recently left the company, we know that they have worked hard on behalf of our company and we are grateful for their commitment and contributions.� This cut shouldn�t come as a surprise. The company is still trying to find its footing. CEO John Chen stated in late 2015 that the company could stop manufacturing handsets. It previously stopped using its custom BlackBerry OS and instead adopted Android to power its latest phone, the BlackBerry Priv. BlackBerry (NASDAQ:BBRY) stock is currently trading at $7.11, down 4% on the day, though it opened on the news that TD Securities gave the stock a C$9.00 price objective.
    02-26-16 08:17 AM
    Apple dominated the market because of ease of use. It was never a better MP3 player than the majority of the market, but it looked nicer and was easier for non tech people to use. I remember in the mid 2000s reading an article where it had over 80% of the global market of units sold.
    Sega died because the tech didnt compete. Nintendo died because they chose not to go with Sony on the first Playstation, instead sticking with cartridges and cutesy characters. Sony realised what Nintendo was turning its back on and dominated.
    Windows smartphones got crushed by the iPhone when it first came out because it was so much easier to use. I thought my old HTC devices were incredible until I used an early iPhone. And BlackBerry went the same way because they didnt adapt. Having a niche business market was great until the big boys realised that was the only part of the market left to own, and moved into it. And when someone offers you a phone that does everything your BB does, plus everything else as well... its not a hard decision for the majority of users!
    techvisor likes this.
    02-29-16 12:46 PM

One word. Zune. Okay, maybe not a real word.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-29-16 08:11 PM
    I always thought iPods were crapola so I found more interesting alternatives like the Samsung YEPP YP-T7 and Cowon J3 and Sansa Clip. Remember anything but ipod???

 Passport SE 
    02-29-16 11:20 PM
    One word. Zune. Okay, maybe not a real word.
    What's a "Zune?"
    03-01-16 07:05 AM
    Question: How can I install the Android Version of Whatsapp on my passport? If i use the apk provided from the playstore, i get a google services error. If i use cobalts services patcher, the app cant give me a registration call and then tells me that there is something wrong with my app. Please help, as i do not know how to proceed. I dont wanna get some Junk, i wanna keep my passport.

Posted via CB10
    03-01-16 10:41 AM
    Question: How can I install the Android Version of Whatsapp on my passport? If i use the apk provided from the playstore, i get a google services error. If i use cobalts services patcher, the app cant give me a registration call and then tells me that there is something wrong with my app. Please help, as i do not know how to proceed. I dont wanna get some Junk, i wanna keep my passport.

Posted via CB10
    !!! Congratulations !!!
    You've just won the Off Topic award of the week !
    BlackBerry cuts 200 from Waterloo and Sunrise-flamandwhat.gif

Please proceed here : http://forums.crackberry.com/ask-que...-10-a-1064465/
    BigBadWulf and TgeekB like this.
    03-01-16 01:07 PM
    We're screwed, we have to abandon BlackBerry or get the priv

Posted from my big screen Z30 STA100-5 running 10.3.2.2876
    03-01-16 07:36 PM
    Not sure about screwed, but yes... if you want a PKB phone or still want the BlackBerry name, then Priv is currently the only way forward.

I'm hoping for a new phone in the Passport form-factor, and will even live with Android if I have to, but not sure that will ever appear.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-16 06:26 PM
222 ... 789