That song part, it was hilarious. Are there anymore stuff like this?

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    Not BB, but just as ridiculous:

But I digress. Compared to throwing a temper tantrum on television/whatever the hell Alec Saunders was doing there, Chen isn't even remotely cringe-y.

Oh, fun fact: the three guys in the BB music video now work at AMD/Amazon/Microsoft, respectively.
    JeepBB, TGR1 and southlander like this.
    02-07-16 01:03 AM
    Well let's see... in the first case those employees were immediately suspended. And in the second and third cases... while some 'opinions' might consider them silly... those Gents are now all in places wildy more successful than BlackBerry.

So yes... at present Chen is still the embarrassment.
    Doggerz and techvisor like this.
    02-07-16 01:58 AM
    Let analyze this...Chen has achieved a 'turnaround': selling real estate, recording tax breaks as income, firing a ton of people, and buying other companies to show sales. No increase in core products sales has been recorded under his management...way to go!!
    I guess you would have preferred cash burn, continued handset sales declines, a stock price of $2.50 and bankruptcy on the horizon?

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-07-16 09:39 AM
    Loooooooooollll wtf was thatt???

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    Hindsight is easy here. Alec Saunders was given an impossible task of trying to convince independent Devs to come to BB10 and come up with apps that would make BB10 compelling. Offering small amounts of cash and free developer edition devices.

Marty Malick was supposed to lure bigger names to the table - remember the line from Boulben "90% of the top 600 apps will be on BB10 at launch". That didn't happen but even if it did that meant about 60 top names were absent and here a miss is as good as a mile.

I say that in hindsight their failures are clear because even Microsoft, offering much larger sums of money to get the top apps to Windows phone has also failed completely in that endeavor.

That video above was Alec trying something different to keep independent devs from completely losing interest in a platform that was late, with real questions about viability at a BlackBerry Jam conference. Meant for a specific audience. Every word in that song was an answer to real questions about the platform at the time. Was it silly, yeah. I didn't envy Alec's job back then.

Mike's interview was him feeling multiple pressures coming to boil. If you haven't read "Losing the signal" makes all clear.

Finally I think until BlackBerry can get FIPS certification for their BlackBerry Android platform they will continue to produce BB10 phones that their largest customer will continue to buy. If/when they get the certification - that will be the mark to the countdown to the end of BB10.
    02-07-16 10:14 AM
    On the bright side BlackBerry was at the career day at our University Wednesday.

Posted via CB10
    I would think it would be hard to hire with the reputation for cutting jobs they must have.

Posted via CB10
    02-07-16 10:46 AM
    You can't use a BB10 without signing into a BBID. It doesn't require a BIS plan from your carrier, but it most certainly requires BIS. What do you think BBM runs through?
    So why has one of the advantages of phones running BB10 been touted (from the very beginning with the Z10 release) as not requiring a carrier service based on BIS? Never read anywhere that if you have a BIS connection that BBM will cease to function. But maybe that's because I never use BBM, never have, never will. (Also, why do you use the bold blue font in all your posts? Just curious).
    02-07-16 11:26 AM
    You can't use a BB10 without signing into a BBID. It doesn't require a BIS plan from your carrier, but it most certainly requires BIS. What do you think BBM runs through?
    So why has one of the advantages of phones running BB10 been touted (from the very beginning with the Z10 release) as not requiring a carrier service based on BIS? Never read anywhere that if you have a BIS connection that BBM will cease to function. But maybe that's because I never use BBM, never have, never will. (Also, why do you use the bold blue font in all your posts? Just curious).
    Please reread the highlighted.

The blue is a long story better answered by PM if truly interested.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-07-16 11:32 AM
    Well let's see... in the first case those employees were immediately suspended. And in the second and third cases... while some 'opinions' might consider them silly... those Gents are now all in places wildy more successful than BlackBerry.

Alec Saunders came to BB from Microsoft I think. So, he just went back to where things were a bit better.
    02-07-16 11:43 AM
    You mean smart business decisions by Snapchat, Instagram, etc. - They chose not to throw money at a platform in which they saw no market value.

As for those high-schoolers, well they're the target market. Blaming the consumer for not buying a product that meets their needs is silly.

Blame BlackBerry for either not making a competitive product market for the market they were targeting. Or blame BlackBerry for going into the wrong market.
    Look, it's not that they saw no future in BlackBerry, many of the big devs intentionally refused to allow even BlackBerry to build apps for their services. There was a concerted effort on their part to ensure BB10 didn't succeed.

Look how quickly Face10 came about from just ONE developer. Mobile apps are fairly easy and quick to develop. It'd have taken Snapchat barely a couple of weeks to put something together for BlackBerry 10 and they'd have more users because of it.
    02-07-16 01:00 PM

I wouldn't say AMD constitutes greener pastures, unfortunately.

Anyway, if pre-Chen was the golden age you think it is, then why was the company in the nosedive that it was? Unless you think that quarterly losses are a high score.
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    02-07-16 02:06 PM
    Look, it's not that they saw no future in BlackBerry, many of the big devs intentionally refused to allow even BlackBerry to build apps for their services. There was a concerted effort on their part to ensure BB10 didn't succeed.

Look how quickly Face10 came about from just ONE developer. Mobile apps are fairly easy and quick to develop. It'd have taken Snapchat barely a couple of weeks to put something together for BlackBerry 10 and they'd have more users because of it.
    Let's try an approach that sounds less like a conspiracy theory:

Many apps need to protect their image and IP. Many of these apps don't have public APIs or have a limited set.

Allowing BlackBerry to build a 3rd party app would provide users a substandard experience. Maybe these apps didn't want the bad press.

Case in point for a substandard experience - BlackBerry's Facebook app.

Others have APIs which change quickly and the apps need constant updating. BlackBerry had demonstrated during the BBOS days they were slow with updates.

Case in point for not keeping pace - BlackBerry's Twitter app, or their FB app for BBOS (actually, any app during the BBOS days).

I don't believe any app company was looking to do harm to BlackBerry as much as they were looking to protect themselves from harm from a platform which would provide little to no return.
    02-07-16 02:13 PM
    So why didn't facebook make the updated APIs available to BlackBerry then? BlackBerry WAS updating the Facebook app for BB10
    02-07-16 02:16 PM
    I create websites for companies, and websites always provide a simple but effective backdoor into that company. If the website is successful, many times the company will come back to me and ask me if I could create a small piece of software that would automate their business and make life a lot easier. I have always felt that this was the simple solution to all of Blackberry's problems.

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Who uses Blackberry phones?" Business owners, obviously. People that are not interested in kiddee Apps, but rather productivity. There is a huge untapped market there that would drive all the other phones straight into the ground. If Blackberry did it like I did it they would have game set and match point! They simply need a division whose sole responsibility is to program Apps for any business that wants to tell them what they need. That App can be completed for free for the company asking for it, and it should only exist on the Blackberry platform. When you look at the sizes of some companies (Walmart: 2.2 million employees, Yum Brands 523,000, McDonalds 440,000, Citigroup 251,000, etc.) one App specifically made for one "Industry" means hundreds of thousands of Blackberry phone sales in order to make life easier and more productive to them. The idea has never been to copy the other guys and make crappy little non-business generic kiddee Apps, it's been to create Apps for businesses that they can't live without. This creates enormous sales with customers so dependent on those Apps that they can never leave the Blackberry platform. Let the other guys continue to make their jogging and BP measuring Apps. That's not what we businessmen really want!!!!!
    crackberry_geek and Gazza12 like this.
    02-07-16 03:06 PM
    I create websites for companies, and websites always provide a simple but effective backdoor into that company. If the website is successful, many times the company will come back to me and ask me if I could create a small piece of software that would automate their business and make life a lot easier. I have always felt that this was the simple solution to all of Blackberry's problems.

All you have to do is ask yourself, "Who uses Blackberry phones?" Business owners, obviously. People that are not interested in kiddee Apps, but rather productivity. There is a huge untapped market there that would drive all the other phones straight into the ground. If Blackberry did it like I did it they would have game set and match point! They simply need a division whose sole responsibility is to program Apps for any business that wants to tell them what they need. That App can be completed for free for the company asking for it, and it should only exist on the Blackberry platform. When you look at the sizes of some companies (Walmart: 2.2 million employees, Yum Brands 523,000, McDonalds 440,000, Citigroup 251,000, etc.) one App specifically made for one "Industry" means hundreds of thousands of Blackberry phone sales in order to make life easier and more productive to them. The idea has never been to copy the other guys and make crappy little non-business generic kiddee Apps, it's been to create Apps for businesses that they can't live without. This creates enormous sales with customers so dependent on those Apps that they can never leave the Blackberry platform. Let the other guys continue to make their jogging and BP measuring Apps. That's not what we businessmen really want!!!!!

Now why didn't THEY think of that???? Seems obvious now.
    02-07-16 03:43 PM

Apple and Android already have created the apps that most business customers need.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-07-16 04:19 PM
    GadgetTravel...Not really. You see it works like this.

Some high level manager at Google marches down to his group of super high IQ developers one day and announces to them that Google wants to give each of them one personal day a week to work on a personal project of their own that will make Google richer. You see when Google files its taxes at the end of the year, 97% of their total revenue is from advertising and advertising alone. Unfortunately, of the 8 billion they make a quarter, 5 billion goes to their electric bill (the 1 million plus servers they have to maintain) which is why they sweat bullets. They are the defacto "one trick pony." As soon as someone comes out with a better way to sell advertising on the Internet, Google is history. So they go down to their super smart developers and say create something for us. As soon as the manager leaves the room, the developers turn to one another and they chuckle. I'm a developer , dude, I've never worked in banking, I don't know anything about the real estate field, in fact I don't know anything about anything except how to write code. Ahhhh, let me see, maybe I could create a "lifestyle" App. Yeah that's the ticket. Google killed the program shortly thereafter when they realized absolutely nothing came out of it.

That's what App developers do. They have no concept of what Industry really needs in order to make their businesses truly efficient. Only the people in those companies know what those problems are. Every App out there is a generic "lifestyle" App made for what its creator thinks is the broadest base he can reach. As far as specific Apps for specific businesses which could revolutionize the way those businesses operate, they just don't exist, because you and I have no idea what they are. So you have to be there in order to get there, and most of the developers have never been there. That's why I wrote the first couple of sentences in my prior post.
    acovey likes this.
    02-07-16 04:42 PM
    GadgetTravel...Not really. You see it works like this.

Some high level manager at Google marches down to his group of super high IQ developers one day and announces to them that Google wants to give each of them one personal day a week to work on a personal project of their own that will make Google richer. You see when Google files its taxes at the end of the year, 97% of their total revenue is from advertising and advertising alone. Unfortunately, of the 8 billion they make a quarter, 5 billion goes to their electric bill (the 1 million plus servers they have to maintain) which is why they sweat bullets. They are the defacto "one trick pony." As soon as someone comes out with a better way to sell advertising on the Internet, Google is history. So they go down to their super smart developers and say create something for us. As soon as the manager leaves the room, the developers turn to one another and they chuckle. I'm a developer , dude, I've never worked in banking, I don't know anything about the real estate field, in fact I don't know anything about anything except how to write code. Ahhhh, let me see, maybe I could create a "lifestyle" App. Yeah that's the ticket. Google killed the program shortly thereafter when they realized absolutely nothing came out of it.

That's what App developers do. They have no concept of what Industry really needs in order to make their businesses truly efficient. Only the people in those companies know what those problems are. Every App out there is a generic "lifestyle" App made for what its creator thinks is the broadest base he can reach. As far as specific Apps for specific businesses which could revolutionize the way those businesses operate, they just don't exist, because you and I have no idea what they are. So you have to be there in order to get there, and most of the developers have never been there. That's why I wrote the first couple of sentences in my prior post.
    Most Google, or for that matter iOS, apps aren't written by Google ( nor Apple).
    02-07-16 04:56 PM
    You're missing the point. I'm a trucking company. I have specific software I use by my dispatcher to run all the trucks out on the highway. As the dispatcher I know all their loads, all their delivery stats, etc. etc. The driver on the road has no way to see what the dispatcher sees in front of her on her screen. There is no Smart Phone App to interface with that dispatcher data and pull him into the loop earning the company millions more in productivity. Those Apps aren't out there yet and won't be for some time until someone like Blackberry opens their doors and welcomes them in with open arms.
    02-07-16 05:16 PM
    You're missing the point. I'm a trucking company. I have specific software I use by my dispatcher to run all the trucks out on the highway. As the dispatcher I know all their loads, all their delivery stats, etc. etc. The driver on the road has no way to see what the dispatcher sees in front of her on her screen. There is no Smart Phone App to interface with that dispatcher data and pull him into the loop earning the company millions more in productivity. Those Apps aren't out there yet and won't be for some time until someone like Blackberry opens their doors and welcomes them in with open arms.
    I'm not missing the point. Many of those apps are out there for Android and iOS.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-07-16 05:23 PM
    How about a list of some of these business specific Apps? ...and the names of the businesses they were created for.
    02-07-16 05:33 PM
    How do you know this? Do you know what every business possesses or has had developed?
    techvisor likes this.
    02-07-16 05:58 PM
    I get it and the others don't. I am an enterprise developer and there are many apps that don't exist for our industry and I have to create them. Many are apps for specific stuff that only we do. There are zero iOS and Android apps for what we need.
    02-07-16 06:35 PM
    How about a list of some of these business specific Apps? ...and the names of the businesses they were created for.
    Almost any bank in the US?
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-07-16 06:54 PM
    What's that got to do with it? We're pro BB, but how many times can we get stood up before deciding to go for a stroll?

Obviously, I'm pro BB10 and hope they stick with it, but if they go all Android, there's already lots of capable phone makers packing Android and selling at a competitive price point.
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    02-07-16 07:23 PM
    I get it and the others don't. I am an enterprise developer and there are many apps that don't exist for our industry and I have to create them. Many are apps for specific stuff that only we do. There are zero iOS and Android apps for what we need.
    You two are right, I worked for two of the world biggest tecnology companies, in our country (small office) we had like 800 developers in different areas, the company only gave its services to very big companies too, and in meetings with the clients, they were always with needs to be filled, it is Incredible all the needs in tecnology and apps that a big company has, even the basic ones, BB could have sold that to those companies, because the had the experienced developers, but in return for the companies for switching the mobiles to BB10, BB needed to guarantee to that company a cash return for its investment, the obstacle that I see here is that specific development for some industries is not an easy task, and can be very expensive.
    02-07-16 07:37 PM
222 ... 45678 ...