Why blame Chen? How many Canadians, plus other nationalities, still have jobs because of Chen? Prem only put another $1 billion in because of the ability to hire Chen to protect his equity and slowly turn company around. I love their phones too and BB10, however we are talking about real people and their lives, not just stupid inanimate objects. Why don't you think about the fortunate people who still have jobs? Blame the guys who effed the company up long before Prem and Chen showed up.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah let's think about the 200 who just lost their jobs because of Chen.

And the thousands who got fired since he took over.

He didn't turn the company around. He killed it. Dead. Chen is the harbinger of BlackBerry's death. He will now sell the dead shell / fedit rotten corpse and take a golden parachute to safety while everyone else suffers.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    02-05-16 10:33 PM
    BlackBerry cuts 200 from Waterloo and Sunrise-bbyjpoen8ih.jpg

Before Chen there was happiness.

valer466 likes this.
    02-05-16 10:34 PM

He didn't turn the company around. He killed it. Dead. Chen is the harbinger of BlackBerry's death. He will now sell the dead shell / fedit rotten corpse and take a golden parachute to safety while everyone else suffers.

The company was bankrupt and NOBODY would buy the company. EVERYONE would have lost their jobs within 12 months or less based on their cash burn rate. Would that have been a better result than where company is now? He's been given a package to reward him to save what he can of the company. Your strategy and ideas would have ALL employees without jobs. Do you think you would be making any employees thankful for your existence?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 10:44 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBYjpoen8ih.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	390382

Hmmm. I recall blackberry was at its very lowest point before Chen. They shopped themselves to buyers publicy only to have everyone say not interested. Embarrassing.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-05-16 11:05 PM
    Hmmm. I recall blackberry was at its very lowest point before Chen. They shopped themselves to buyers publicy only to have everyone say not interested. Embarrassing.

BlackBerry has never had any more embarrassing days than those where Johnny Chen opened his mouth!!
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    02-05-16 11:55 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBYjpoen8ih.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	390382

You need to become educated on Blackberry's history if you think there was happiness before Chen.
    02-06-16 12:01 AM
    BlackBerry has never had any more embarrassing days than those where Johnny Chen opened his mouth!!
    Counterpoint:

http://www.thestar.com/business/2011...nd_flight.html

02-06-16 12:13 AM
    Really people. I hate it when people lose their jobs, but it is just the fact of the current environment.

Do you feel bad for Palm employees? 3dfx? Nortel? There are many products we probably love but due to bad management, change in environment or just bad luck... they are gone.

However, BlackBerry is still here. Is it the same BlackBerry from its glory days? No... but that's what it like when trying to transition it into something viable.

BlackBerry has been broken down into 4 divisions in Dec 2013: Messaging, QNX, Enterprise Services and Devices. Guess which divisions are doing well? Which ones aren't? I guess Chen must have given them two years to see which ones to keep. It looks like QNX and Enterprise services are doing well. Messaging and Devices, not so well. Guess where cuts will be done at?

It looks like Messaging (BBM) will probably merge into Enterprise services.

For devices, they can't sell 5 millions phones a year, they need to reduce expense so they can sell less phones to break even. Spending a large amount of money in marketing doesn't work with BlackBerry... just look at the BB10 release (Super Bowl ad, Alicia Keys, Mercedes Sponsorship). Look how well that did?

I rather the company survives and becomes profitable. Once that it done and the company and brand is in better shape, they can explore devices again.
    02-06-16 01:04 AM
    It's sad to see that the company is forced to lay off people but it was to be expected considering the happenings over the last few years.

Also, it's unfair to blame Chen for this. As a CEO he has to act before things are getting worse financially and if that means laying off people is necessary, then that's better than the entire company failing, leaving no workplaces at all.

The big mistakes were done earlier if you ask me, actually even before BB10, but the company was arrogant and clinging to their old and outdated recipes for years. When they came up with BB10 it was already too late.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-06-16 03:33 AM
    Very sad but inevitable. I purchased one of the 1st Z10 and Q10 in London. They were both disastrous and moved back to 9900 until 10.2 was released.

BlackBerry 10 Improved over the past 18 months, but the game was over. There is only really room for two platforms now, IOS and Android.

If BlackBerry survives it will be with Android not BlackBerry 10

The only reason BlackBerry market share is now insignificant is because if failed to migrate BBOS user to BlackBerry 10 and failed to attract new users to BlackBerry. (to many reasons to highlight) but all of Blackberries making

Chen is just doing what a good CEO is paid to do, reduce losses and keep the company in business

If you really want to keep BlackBerry alive buy a Priv, if you want to stay on BlackBerry 10 you will have to make the choice further down the line.

Thanks
    02-06-16 03:50 AM
    Blackberry says they are committed to OS10. IBM said it was committed to its OS2 when MS came out with Windows 95. What that meant was that IBM would support customers that had purchased it but that they would not be selling more or enhancing it. Don't expect any consumer enhancements to OS10. Maybe some for government customers.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 04:07 AM
    Sad news . But BBRY is also actively involved in recruiting new people for the android business.
    02-06-16 06:04 AM

Yes agree with you . They were almost sinking when JC took over .
    02-06-16 06:09 AM
    After JC coming to picture no more embarrassments. Infact he restored lot of faith and trust.
    02-06-16 06:12 AM
    After JC coming to picture no more embarrassments. Infact he restored lot of faith and trust.
    Hahaha. That was funny.

The problem with Chen is that he has no passion for the products he sells. Doesn't even care enough about them to know about them. Never tried a Q10 at the time he was commenting about it, then a clumsy, fumbling demo of Priv running "the Google". Contrast that to what Apple had with Jobs. He lived, breathed, loved what he was selling.

If the CEO doesn't give a crap about what he is selling, why should anyone? I'm not saying Chen was handed a bed of roses, but if Priv was supposed to be the savior of the hardware division, Chen should have known that thing inside and out and upside down.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 07:16 AM
    He's demonstrated himself to be a good manager.

But a visionary he is not.

If he does have some sort of grand vision he has neglected to communicate it. The failure in that is in not using the positive buzz that vision creates.

There was only one Steve Jobs but we can follow the same example.
    Underpromise and overdeliver.

But Chen isn't even making any promises. He displays all the marks of a decent manager but not a visionary.

Posted via BB Classic via CB app
    crackberry_geek and Sal1982 like this.
    02-06-16 07:22 AM
    Sad news . But BBRY is also actively involved in recruiting new people for the android business.
    Source?
    02-06-16 07:23 AM

Not because of Chen. He was left with a losing hand and was brought in to save as much as he could.
    Elephant_Canyon and JeepBB like this.
    02-06-16 07:24 AM
    It never ceases to amaze me the shock and horror expressed, when what has been telegraphed come to fruition time and time again. We know they've taken their foot off the accelerator with BB10. How can a department that's running at idle sustain the same workforce? This is the inevitable reality of a restructuring we've been watching for over a year now. The only surprise is this is a surprise.

It's sad people have lost their jobs. I grew up in Sunrise, and the team there certainly had an affinity for CrackBerry (remember the Easter egg clock?). I feel for those in Waterloo too. I've friends who were let go in prior reductions. I'm sure I'll have more. BlackBerry has a responsibility to stay alive, so as many as possible of those left can maintain employment. May in some form or fashion that life be long and prosperous.
    A voice of reason.
    02-06-16 07:26 AM
    I always feel for staff that has lost their jobs. Not a good feeling. Aside from all of the other issues that hurt BB10 was the "timing" for BB10 "finally" being launched and never recovered....and the rest of the downslide is in the history books. Regardless, love my Z10s, Q10s, and Z30s and I'm definitely not alone. However, all of us combined could not reach the numbers guestimated as a requirement for sales to be profitable. Never happened.
    Another voice of reason.
    02-06-16 07:26 AM
    It is a real open issue about whether BlackBerry will ever release another device. I say this because Priv sales seem to be underwhelming. Looking at BlackBerry's website job postings, there doesn't seem to be a single device job listed.

I think we'll know what the real story is at Mobile World Congress. If a new device is presented (at least in some way), there is still some life in devices. If not, probably not.

Part of me thinks that if there is a devices future, some Chinese company will be doing all the design, development, and manufacturing, and BlackBerry will just be responsible for its services (not even the OS itself). In other words, it is really a Foxconn phone (or a phone from some other company) but with some BlackBerry input on software. If this is the case, this is not really a BlackBerry phone, IMO, regardless of the brand on it. I'd rather buy another Android Phone and put BlackBerry apps on it.

Chen's solution has been to shrink BlackBerry's business in an effort to try to make BlackBerry profitable based on some idea of what BlackBerry's revenue would be. The problem is that revenue keeps shrinking. This requires more and more cuts. Let's see if he can actually build a business instead of shrinking one. One thing to me that is clear is that everything I used to like about BlackBerry is gone. It is a completely different company. It is mostly sad.
    02-06-16 07:42 AM
    "BlackBerry cuts 35% in Waterloo"

It'll only be a matter of time before they cut themselves out of existence.
    I actually thought I heard the Fat Lady warming up to sing yesterday .
    02-06-16 07:51 AM
    How does that work when the company you want a native app has no interest in doing it OR letting you do it? This situation has been rehashed many, many times. You're not the first to come up with this idea... very far from it.
    Shhh. Don't let the fact get in the way of a good story.

Few want to admit that BB10 was DOA due to lack of apps nor acknowledge the details shared by BlackBerry's own folks about the lack of interest from the major app platforms.

It's easier to blame Chen than to admit BB10 was soooooooo late to market it was doubtful it was going to be successful.
    02-06-16 07:53 AM
    how do you know they don't? i know of about 15 people that would have bought a blackberry if the company actually invested in those 2 apps alone. and some people didn't even know blackberry still made phones until they saw my Q5. and i live in canada. lol. so what does that tell you about the marketing?

people want apps. the more, the better.
    The company doesn't get to invest in those apps. Those apps have to invest in BlackBerry.

And they said from the get-go it wasn't worth it to them to invest in BlackBerry.

Ditto for Shazam and Netflix (ie saying so publicly).

Alec Saunders even alluded to more doors being shut in their faces.

All of this was years before Chen came on board to resurrect the carcass left by Lazaridis and Heins.
    02-06-16 07:58 AM
    There is no Marshmallow ....

Don't like Marshmallows, Lollipop, FloppyPop, PlonkiPlop.. or what ever... way to sticky and horrible sweet.
    All this Candy-crusher Google names for there child like OS.. still don't get it.
    Give the kids some fancy names for there unhealthy toys and they spend stupid money on it.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    wilber1 and acovey like this.
    02-06-16 08:01 AM
222 ... 23456 ...