Crazy apparently a BB curve 9320 exploded and severly injured a boy in the UK. Check link for more. Not sure I believe this or not yet.

A SCHOOLBOY has been left scarred for life after he claimed a brand new Blackberry phone BLEW UP in flames while he slept.
    Terrified Kian McCreath, 11, ran from his room in the middle of the night screaming as melted plastic stuck to his legs and his bed caught fire, his parents said.
    The boy, from Coventry, said: �I ran out of my room just screaming my head off and my mum came running up the stairs and luckily put out the flames.�

Danger ... the burn marks left after the explosion
    Caters News Agency
    Kian�s mother Sarah, 39, was woken by her son at 2.30am on Sunday as he ran into her room crying: �My bed is on fire!�
    He was then rushed to University Hospital Coventry in agony where he was treated for nasty burns to his right foot and left leg.
    Sarah said: �My son could quite easily have died. It sends a shiver down my spine to think what could have happened.�
    The phone, which belonged to 13-year-old brother Mason, had been taken off charge shortly before the explosion.

Read more: Blackberry explosion scars schoolboy for life | The Sun |News
    Blackberry explosion scars schoolboy for life | The Sun |News
    12-04-12 01:09 PM
    I just find some things odd with the story... why did she place it on his bed... it isn't even his phone... and why would you put it on the bed/duvet instead of a table... it just seems iffy, however I do hope they are ok and that this gets looked in to.
    Stewartj1 and bungaboy like this.
    12-04-12 01:18 PM
    I just find some things odd with the story... why did she place it on his bed... it isn't even his phone... and why would you put it on the bed/duvet instead of a table... it just seems iffy, however I do hope they are ok and that this gets looked in to.
    I have put every single cellphone/smartphone I have ever owned on my bed and it has never started a fire or melted. I don't understand why it wouldn't be acceptable to put the device on your bed. What is iffy about it?

I do find it funny how the parents are calling for a recall based off this one incident. This has happened to other devices too and they weren't recalled. If this happens to others with the same device then it is understandable.

My question is what was the phone doing that made this happen? It says the phone blew up shortly after being taken off the charger. Why was this 11 year old kid using the phone (that belonged to his brother) at 2:30am? Sounds like the parenting needs a recall in this situation.
    raino and meganVee like this.
    12-04-12 01:30 PM
    Sounds like BS to me and trying to make a buck with a BS story.
    12-04-12 01:37 PM
    12-04-12 02:00 PM
    Yeah this comes across as BS. When have you ever heard of a BlackBerry exploding. I've owned nearly all of them, and the answer is never.

Sounds a lot like the 'BlackBerry is bad for your health' BS article a while ago.

I hope there isn't an injured kid somewhere, but even if there is I would damn near put money on the fact it wasn't from an exploding BlackBerry curve.
    12-04-12 02:03 PM
    I have put every single cellphone/smartphone I have ever owned on my bed and it has never started a fire or melted. I don't understand why it wouldn't be acceptable to put the device on your bed. What is iffy about it?

I do find it funny how the parents are calling for a recall based off this one incident. This has happened to other devices too and they weren't recalled. If this happens to others with the same device then it is understandable.

My question is what was the phone doing that made this happen? It says the phone blew up shortly after being taken off the charger. Why was this 11 year old kid using the phone (that belonged to his brother) at 2:30am? Sounds like the parenting needs a recall in this situation.
    You haven't even read the article properly... he was asleep and the phone suddenly combusted (supposedly).

I am not stating that having a phone on your bed is iffy, I have an ipod next to me on mine, what I am saying is why did she place it on his bed, the phone isn't his it belongs to his older brother why was the phone randomly on the landing, she states she put it on the younger brother's bed because the eldest uses it as an alarm that doesn't make sense, she would have had to place the phone on the duvet where his legs were as he had melted plastic on his legs so she certainly didn't put it on the edge or a safer place on the bed but on the duvet specifically over his leg.

It also seems weird that she didn't put it on the table if I were her I would have placed it on the table or at least not on his bed, it just seems odd I am not denying the phone went kabloom it just seems like odd circumstances, and the boy was alseep. Anyway saying you put your phone on your bed means nothing, the mother placed a phone that doesn't belong to this child on this child's bed, it doesn't make sense.

Just to add certain news sites are reporting this story with various interpretations and varying differences, so meh, but either way hope the kid is fine.
    meganVee likes this.
    12-04-12 02:25 PM
    sheet happens....we have heard of iphones and a samsung doing the same thing before. But im sure those all really happened because that wasnt a BB. But since this is a BB its not true!
    mikeo007, bk1022 and Spencerdl like this.
    12-04-12 02:30 PM
    sheet happens....we have heard of iphones and a samsung doing the same thing before. But im sure those all really happened because that wasnt a BB. But since this is a BB its not true!
    It's a BB so it must be user-error...
    Last edited by bk1022; 12-04-12 at 03:03 PM.
    goku_vegeta likes this.
    12-04-12 02:36 PM
    You haven't even read the article properly... he was asleep and the phone suddenly combusted (supposedly).
    The only thing saying the boy was sleeping was the title. Nowhere in the article does it say he was sleeping. No quotes from the parents or the boy.

It fact, it says the phone blew up shortly after being taken off the charger. Who took it off and at what time? It doesn't say in the article.

I am not stating that having a phone on your bed is iffy, I have an ipod next to me on mine, what I am saying is why did she place it on his bed, the phone isn't his it belongs to his older brother why was the phone randomly on the landing, she states she put it on the younger brother's bed because the eldest uses it as an alarm that doesn't make sense, she would have had to place the phone on the duvet where his legs were as he had melted plastic on his legs so she certainly didn't put it on the edge or a safer place on the bed but on the duvet specifically over his leg

It also seems weird that she didn't put it on the table if I were her I would have placed it on the table or at least not on his bed, it just seems odd I am not denying the phone went kabloom it just seems like odd circumstances, and the boy was alseep. Anyway saying you put your phone on your bed means nothing, the mother placed a phone that doesn't belong to this child on this child's bed, it doesn't make sense.

Just to add certain news sites are reporting this story with various interpretations and varying differences, so meh, but either way hope the kid is fine.
    Are we reading the same article? What you are saying is nowhere to be found in this article that is quoted right below this. This is the same article the OP posted.

A SCHOOLBOY has been left scarred for life after he claimed a brand new Blackberry phone BLEW UP in flames while he slept.

Terrified Kian McCreath, 11, ran from his room in the middle of the night screaming as melted plastic stuck to his legs and his bed caught fire, his parents said.
    The boy, from Coventry, said: “I ran out of my room just screaming my head off and my mum came running up the stairs and luckily put out the flames.”

Kian’s mother Sarah, 39, was woken by her son at 2.30am on Sunday as he ran into her room crying: “My bed is on fire!”
    He was then rushed to University Hospital Coventry in agony where he was treated for nasty burns to his right foot and left leg.
    Sarah said: “My son could quite easily have died. It sends a shiver down my spine to think what could have happened.”
    The phone, which belonged to 13-year-old brother Mason, had been taken off charge shortly before the explosion.

Dad Pete, 39, said: “I'm shaking just talking about it. If it had been any worse I could have my sons in boxes right now.

“Kian has burns to his lower legs where it exploded. It's left him mentally scarred as well. Kian won't even go back into his bedroom.”

The parents are calling for the Blackberry Curve 9320 phones to be recalled before there is a fatality.

A spokesman from Blackberry makers, Research in Motion, said: “We take claims of this nature very seriously and are investigating this matter as a priority.”
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz2E6zpJdwi
    12-04-12 02:41 PM
    All of this is completely irrelevant. Why the kid had it in bed, what was he even doing with it or why was it even in the room are not going to be the questions asked in any type of litigation. I dont know how it happened, but it happened. If I had to surmise a guess, given the fact that lithium ion batteries can explode if theyre overcharged, I would look to maybe a faulty charger or defective battery. Thats just my take on it. I do feel sorry for the kid though, and for RIM for this even happening.
    12-04-12 03:05 PM
    Yes we have all felt our phones getting hot. I can imagine if someone fell asleep on top of one and the heat couldn't release. I hope the kid is ok.
    12-04-12 03:25 PM
    Are we reading the same article? What you are saying is nowhere to be found in this article that is quoted right below this. This is the same article the OP posted.
    Read my last comment - I assumed the source was the same one I had read the one I read stated the things I said in my post, in the comments of the source that is linked in this thread people are also stating that there are conflicting reports at different sources.
    12-04-12 04:21 PM
    Maybe some crap after market battery?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-04-12 04:36 PM
    LOL. Guys, The Sun is a sensationalist tabloid. It's got as much credibility as the US The National Enquirer
    The Sun (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-04-12 07:40 PM
    Sad that stuff like this happens, but fortunately it's very rare. There's been a few alleged cases like that of iPhones too. Think about how many of these devices are in use in general and you'll realize how unlikely this is to happen to you with any mobile device.

Did iPhone 'explode' in 17-year-old's pocket? | Apple - CNET News
    Second iPhone 'explodes' - Telegraph
    iPhone Explodes on Australian Flight | The Province
    Nexus 7 explodes in China, Asus runs to rescue | Crave - CNET
    12-04-12 08:53 PM
    It's not a question if it's true or not. The question is the cause. Since 2004 there have been about 84 cases of this happening to iphone,samsumg,nokia, this is the first time Blackberry has been mentioned since 2004. The MOST important thing to take away from this is/was the causes since 2004, that being approx 90% or higher were causes by grey market, copy cat chineses junk, improper compatibility etc. So in a nutshell this story is a non-starter. In regards to scared for life, give me a break, a dime sized mark on his calf. It would be cheaper to send the kid a $10,000.00 check than try to trace down the grey market battery/charger etc. Come on folks spend at least 5 minutes research before some of you go off on tangents. Jeez!
    meganVee and bungaboy like this.
    12-04-12 08:56 PM
    OK so how did the bottom of the mattress catch fire? Sounds like the phone was in the bed. Until we hear more my assumption is that the mom put the phone in the kids room because he uses it as alarm, kid texts after mom leaves or does something else with the phone and puts the phone with him in bed instead of on nightstand, while still charging, kid rolls over on phone breaking the connector and causing a short which then cause a fire. While fires are possible with anything with a Li-Ion battery, there are just some weird things about this story that point more toward a kid sleeping with a charging phone and not a phone spontaneously combusting.
    12-05-12 08:08 AM
    It's a BB so it must be user-error...
    Sorry - why are you here?
    12-05-12 08:57 AM

I put my phones on my bed, next to my pillow, all the time. My bed sits high and it's easier than to have to reach down if the phone rings or if I get a BBM.
    Ditto for my iPhone.
    12-05-12 09:03 AM
    OK so how did the bottom of the mattress catch fire? Sounds like the phone was in the bed. Until we hear more my assumption is that the mom put the phone in the kids room because he uses it as alarm, kid texts after mom leaves or does something else with the phone and puts the phone with him in bed instead of on nightstand, while still charging, kid rolls over on phone breaking the connector and causing a short which then cause a fire. While fires are possible with anything with a Li-Ion battery, there are just some weird things about this story that point more toward a kid sleeping with a charging phone and not a phone spontaneously combusting.
    This is not the first case of a lithum-ion battery burning a bed. It's happened before. The fire literally burns through the mattress. Lithium-ion fires are extremely high temperature due to the flammable mixture in the battery chemistry.

In the past, there have been multiple recalls on lithium batteries involving the likes of Apple, Dell, Sony, Nikon, to name a few. The recalls all having to do with fears of potential thermal runaway.

Exploding ThinkPad attacks man, burns through bed

12-05-12 09:30 AM
    This is not the first case of a lithum-ion battery burning a bed. It's happened before. The fire literally burns through the mattress. Lithium-ion fires are extremely high temperature due to the flammable mixture in the battery chemistry.

In the past, there have been multiple recalls on lithium batteries involving the likes of Apple, Dell, Sony, Nikon, to name a few. The recalls all having to do with fears of potential thermal runaway.

Exploding ThinkPad attacks man, burns through bed

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....1/r50e-bed.jpg
    I know how Li-Ion fires are..... This is why you see restrictions on shipping phone batteries now. A bunch of Fisker Karma's burned when Sandy submerged them in salt water causing a short and 16 burned to the ground, while partially submerged!

The point is that phones, or anything connected to a power outlet or with a battery have the capability of catching on fire if a short condition occurs. You shouldn't have anything like that in the bed with you, especially something with a Li-Ion battery that when it does catch on fire burns quick and hot.
    12-05-12 10:00 AM
    I know how Li-Ion fires are..... This is why you see restrictions on shipping phone batteries now. A bunch of Fisker Karma's burned when Sandy submerged them in salt water causing a short and 16 burned to the ground, while partially submerged!

The point is that phones, or anything connected to a power outlet or with a battery have the capability of catching on fire if a short condition occurs. You shouldn't have anything like that in the bed with you, especially something with a Li-Ion battery that when it does catch on fire burns quick and hot.
    Not even off the charger???? You might be saving me from a dangerous habit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-05-12 10:15 AM
    Are we reading the same article?

im staring to believe this story less and less now.

read The Sun

Kian’s mother Sarah, 39, was woken by her son at 2.30am on Sunday as he ran into her room crying: “My bed is on fire!”
    then read Daily Mail

Mrs McCreath said she couldn’t sleep and spotted the phone on the landing at around 2.30am as she went downstairs for a drink. She added: ‘He’d set an alarm on the phone so I unplugged it and took it through to their bedroom.

‘I plonked it on Kian’s bed because his was nearest to the door.

‘I thought nothing of it, made a cup of tea then I heard a really loud pop sound. Kian started screaming at the top of his voice, shouting “my bed’s on fire!” His feet had pretty much been engulfed in flames.

Both have totally different accounts from the individuals involved. very strange indeed
    12-05-12 10:36 AM
    From RIM

RIM takes claims of this nature very seriously and a senior member of our team met with the family today to initiate a full investigation into this matter. In order to proceed with this investigation, we require the products that were involved in this incident to be made available for a full technical review.

At this point in time, the family has not provided RIM with the battery or charger for analysis and have said they are unable to locate the device itself. We have a team on standby to conduct this investigation as a priority as soon as the family makes these products available to us.

RIM is committed to ensuring our products are safe and we invest significantly in R&D and testing to ensure we meet or exceed all regulatory standards here in the UK and around the world.
    TheScionicMan and bungaboy like this.
    12-05-12 10:39 AM
77 123 ...