Step one release a phone that becomes a persons personal computer via docking station and maybe have some extra ram or whatever in the station.

I use my playbook as a pc its not bad. But if you could do it all on a phone then theres no need for tablets.

#2 Along with idea #1 turn the phone into a gaming system as well. I know both ideas have been talked about but again another docking station and controllers and cheap games could be huge.

Team up with nintendo and call the system aspect Nintendo Black.

I know its been discussed but with all the negitivity recently I imagine if they ever could produce a phone that works as your phone, computer and game station it would be game over. Spend 2 of your 3 billion to make it happen!!!!!
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-04-13 07:12 AM
    Nintendo... really?
    It seems Microsoft isn't an option, so they should team up with Sony for the gaming aspect.
    07-04-13 07:15 AM
    And will this phone/PC be able to run my Windows applications that I need for business?
    07-04-13 07:16 AM
    We don't need all in one devices. And using a PlayBook as a PC is not viable. I need Photoshop, MS Office and the lot.... Tablets are gimmicks and nothing more. Anyone who says that a tablet can replace a laptop or PC (excluding EFBs in airplanes) should have a reality check.

Not meant as insult and meant for everybody.

Posted via CB10
    danprown, jegs2, kfh227 and 1 others like this.
    07-04-13 07:21 AM
    We don't need all in one devices. And using a PlayBook as a PC is not viable. I need Photoshop, MS Office and the lot.... Tablets are gimmicks and nothing more. Anyone who says that a tablet can replace a laptop or PC (excluding EFBs in airplanes) should have a reality check.

Posted via CB10
    I agree. A tablet is great for surfing the Web while on the couch. I use my playbook a lot because I'm on the couch a lot

Posted via CB10
    moonfalle likes this.
    07-04-13 07:56 AM
    Step one release a phone that becomes a persons personal computer via docking station and maybe have some extra ram or whatever in the station.

I use my playbook as a pc its not bad. But if you could do it all on a phone then theres no need for tablets.

#2 Along with idea #1 turn the phone into a gaming system as well. I know both ideas have been talked about but again another docking station and controllers and cheap games could be huge.

I know its been discussed but with all the negitivity recently I imagine if they ever could produce a phone that works as your phone, computer and game station it would be game over. Spend 2 of your 3 billion to make it happen!!!!!
    For 1 the BlackBerry 10 series are mobile computing platforms so #1 has already been done. For 2, why Nintendo??? I rather have them partner with Sony for Play Station but i heard for the new Xbox One they will have cross platform gaming for phones so it might work for that.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 08:09 AM

Impossible with their track record for false promises. Even Nintendo is smarter then that.
    07-04-13 08:15 AM

Except.....BlackBerries are tools, not toys......or so I've heard proselytised here.....
    TgeekB, mikeo007, bp3dots and 6 others like this.
    07-04-13 08:24 AM
    Well for photoshop I wonder if you could have a docking station that can add more ram so that kind of program could work? In reality we have word documents. So somehow have the station provide more ram so bigger programs could work.

Nintendo isnt the best partner but they could provide a bunch of game styles that graphically would work easier on phones then playstation
    07-04-13 08:24 AM
    For 1 the BlackBerry 10 series are mobile computing platforms so #1 has already been done. F
    Posted via CB10
    No, they are poorly selling phones.
    TgeekB likes this.
    07-04-13 08:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    Windows 8 is geared towards towards touch input so it seems like Microsoft feels like the tablet could replace the laptop eventually for some users. Microsoft is investing in the Surface which is a tablet PC. If Microsoft prices the next Surface better it could easily gain a lot of traction for people that use computers for Outlook/Excel/Word/PowerPoint and still want access to x86 applications and programs.
    07-04-13 08:31 AM
    Windows 8 is geared towards towards touch input so it seems like Microsoft feels like the tablet could replace the laptop eventually for some users. Microsoft is investing in the Surface which is a tablet PC. If Microsoft prices the next Surface better it could easily gain a lot of traction for people that use computers for Outlook/Excel/Word/PowerPoint and still want access to x86 applications and programs.
    I have a Surface Pro (NOT RT) and use it as my everyday laptop. It works for me. Would love more memory and disk, but I am managing just fine. And it runs all my apps. No compromises. Even runs the 8.1 Preview.
    07-04-13 08:33 AM

1) With Point #1, other companies, particularly Microsoft and to a lesser degree Apple, are in a better position to do this than Blackberry. Also, Google is pursuing a paradigm with their chromebooks that will probably get to the same place via a different path and may even provide a better solution. (As a side note, I personally believe chromebooks are superior to tablets for casual web browsing.)

2) With Point #2, I think to some degree this is what Smart TV (primarily being pursued by Apple), Microsoft's SmartGlass, and the XBox One are all trying to work towards - devices or software that increase cross-functional device capabilities that include gaming capabilities and include smartphones as part of the equation.

3) Also with Point #2, why would Nintendo want to work with Blackberry? How does Blackberry enhance Nintendo's brand, or for that matter how does Nintendo enhance Blackberry's brand? Both companies are hurting and in increasingly vulnerable positions IMO, and putting together two hurting companies merely creates a larger hurting company, especially when both companies have generally been "go-it-alone", niche-oriented companies. You can't change corporate cultures overnight.
    07-04-13 08:36 AM
    Microsoft's strategy is that a single device can be used in various contexts / form factors. If that 18" all-in-one touchscreen PC could also become a 7" handheld AND a 55" gaming powerhouse, then you'd have something... but as it is, it's all about "docking stations" and "remote desktop" to more powerful computers, be they a quad-core Intel-based rig with 16 gig of ram and terabytes of storage capacity, or a remote server through the internet that effectively streams what you're seeing on the screen, but all the computing is done remotely.

There is no one thing that will do it all. But I'd be a lot closer to that IF you could give me a 7" device that had a quad core 4 GHz CPU and 16 gig of high-speed ram... all I'd need is a docking station and dumb keyboard and a screen to turn it into my desktop computer, or a TV to turn it into that gaming centre... but such a device would be an inch thick to hold the battery that would be needed and would run hot as heck.

Hearing anyone talk about one device totally doing away with another, or even one OS doing away with another just tells me that the person making the statement doesn't get human factors and human nature at all. Yes, there are STILL people using Linux as their Desktop OS, even though Windows is actually not bad (Windows 7 at least) and Mac OSX is also pretty good... Windows will never be good enough to make ALL Linux users ditch Linux for Windows, and the old "cold, dead hands" think for Mac OSX still holds true.

I believe in BB's strategy, and I really like the UX on BB10... I think others would get used to if if they gave it a chance, and I think that BBM on iOS and Apple should employ the BB10 UX paradigm, so people would get a taste of it, and, once they're used to it, would think "gee, the whole OS is smooth and gesture based like this? I wanna try that out!" and approach it with a whole new point of view... not a "this is strange" but "this is awesome" attitude.
    07-04-13 08:44 AM
    Impossible with their track record for false promises. Even Nintendo is smarter then that.
    Every company does that. Not that I'm giving BB exuses but apple, microsoft, google have all done that.
    07-04-13 08:55 AM
    Yes, but they aren't one product companies with falling market share and massively dropping stock prices, are they?
    BlackBerry is (unfortunately) in a much different and more critical position.
    07-04-13 09:07 AM
    Yes, but they aren't one product companies with falling market share and massively dropping stock prices, are they?
    BlackBerry is (unfortunately) in a much different and more critical position.
    Are you saying BlackBerry is a one product company? BlackBerry could stop selling phones and exit the market and the company would still exist with a viable business model.

You do realize that BlackBerry software is in 60% of cars right? They are in medical devices, power plants and a huge number of other applications. Not to mention now that BES 10 is able to run with other mobile platforms a lot of companies might choose to run BES even if they don't have any BlackBerry phones on the system.

BlackBerry's acquisition of QNX was a very smart move. And in the next few years the M2M and systems integration possibilities are huge.
    07-04-13 09:31 AM
    No, they are poorly selling phones.
    Because they didn't market it. If people knew that BlackBerry 10 phones were more than just phones then they wouldn't have to have poor sales. As TH said himself "they need to penetrate the market".

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 09:33 AM
    Are you saying BlackBerry is a one product company? BlackBerry could stop selling phones and exit the market and the company would still exist with a viable buisness model.

You do realize that BlackBerry software is in 60% of cars right? They are in medical devices, power plants and a huge number of other applications. Not to mention now that BES 10 is able to run with other mobile platforms a lot of companies might choose to run BES even if they don't have any BlackBerry phones on the system.

BlackBerry's aquisition of QNX was a very smart move. And in the next few years the M2M and systems integration possibilities are huge.
    What is the breakdown of BBRY profits? How much does QNX bring in? I know someone did find this number in another thread, but I don't remember.

I think BBRY has a future as a service company, but I suspect if you killed off the hardware business today, BBRY wouldn't be so well off. I'm willing to say I'm not sure though.
    07-04-13 09:37 AM
    And will this phone/PC be able to run my Windows applications that I need for business?
    Citrix, Splashtop, GoogleApps, there are more I'm sure.

What is needed is a utility that can adjust automatically to the large variety of screen sizes and resolutions. I'm thinking that all those screens should have an instance of QNX with a small set of baked in apps that can do that work.

Posted via CB10
    07-04-13 09:42 AM
    QNX never caught on as a desktop OS despite years of trying. For many reasons or circumstances, it is simply not viable and there are no developers. QNX is a niche OS which has found its way into telemetrics, infotainments and industrial applications. It was sold by Harman to RIM for $200 mil (reportedly 5 times revenues). The opportunity for growth and making money off of it is limited. There are many competitors, some of which have always been valued and positioned better than QNX (e.g. VxWorks, sold for $900 mil to Intel in 2009), plus QNX are dealing with large partners who can always do it inhouse or go to the competition (without any end user realizing anything).

BB10 (bloatware on top of QNX) as a viable plug-in desktop OS is so far from reality that it is in the realm of science fiction.

The market to date has rejected this "one-device to rule them all" since you can currently run a full-featured Linux distro off a cell-phone, but not one person has rushed to do it.
    the_sleuth likes this.
    07-04-13 09:53 AM
    I always thought Nintendo would be a ripe acquisition target for Apple if they ever wanted to make a console and disrupt Sony and Microsoft there. Similar company philosophies, small size vs. revenue and it would give Apple a killer 1st party franchise lineup.

Don't really see the fit with BlackBerry though.
    07-04-13 10:03 AM
    Because they didn't market it. If people knew that BlackBerry 10 phones were more than just phones then they wouldn't have to have poor sales. As TH said himself "they need to penetrate the market".

Posted via CB10
    Yes, and you started another thread about that which went off the rails instantly.
    So it is just about poor marketing. Good, there are multiple threads about that too.
    BlackBerry becoming #1 is the topic of this thread.
    07-04-13 10:05 AM
    As if things weren't bad enough already. NIntendo? All in one phone, computer, gaming? Seriously, this is exactly what BlackBerry should stay away from if they don't want to go down like a stack of cards. Make a phone and system that addresses the needs of adults, not kids. That will help.
    07-04-13 10:08 AM
    There is a bit of elitism in this train of thought.

What if people knew about BB10, and still chose not to adopt it? Is that a possibility, albeit very unpalatable?
    07-04-13 10:12 AM
67 123