Elcomsoft software now offers:

"Decryption of local BlackBerry 10 backups. Contrary to backups of previous versions created with BlackBerry Desktop Software, new BlackBerry Link backups are always encrypted, however users cannot define the password, and practically all they can do is just restore from the backup on device with the same BlackBerry ID. The new EPPB will completely decrypt the backup and display its contents including text files and SQLite data bases in readable format"

When I make a backup using Desktop Software, the backup is not encrypted by default, but Desktop Software gives me the option to encrypt the backup and choose the password; I can choose a 25 character complex password if I like. It seems that BB10 security is watered down compared to BBOS security.
    03-18-14 11:29 AM
    I don't believe BBRY is helping the NSA. I just think BB Link is not as fully functional as DM was for legacy devices. Here's hoping future updates will add in some of that.
    03-18-14 11:46 AM
    The answer to your question is no. The whole NSA bugaboo is so overdone by this point. Not every decision is part of some massive NSA agreement that's floating around the world...
    03-18-14 11:48 AM

"Decryption of local BlackBerry 10 backups. Contrary to backups of previous versions created with BlackBerry Desktop Software, new BlackBerry Link backups are always encrypted, however users cannot define the password, and practically all they can do is just restore from the backup on device with the same BlackBerry ID. The new EPPB will completely decrypt the backup and display its contents including text files and SQLite data bases in readable format"

When I make a backup using Desktop Software, the backup is not encrypted by default, but Desktop Software gives me the option to encrypt the backup and choose the password; I can choose a 25 character complex password if I like. It seems that BB10 security is watered down compared to BBOS security.
    Even if we assume your observation is correct (that BB10 security is watered down), where does the NSA come in? Did the NSA BBM BBRY and say "Hey BBRY, please water down your security so we can snoop. kthanksbye."
    03-18-14 11:59 AM
    The answer to your question is no. The whole NSA bugaboo is so overdone by this point. Not every decision is part of some massive NSA agreement that's floating around the world...
    Read up on it and you'll see that all kinds of hardware is compromised by cooperating manufacturers. Hopefully, as middbrew pointed out, Link is in its early stages and will improve, and it's not intentionally watered down security.
    03-18-14 12:01 PM
    Even if we assume your observation is correct (that BB10 security is watered down), where does the NSA come in? Did the NSA BBM BBRY and say "Hey BBRY, please water down your security so we can snoop. kthanksbye."
    Read up on it and you'll see that's exactly what has been going on with many manufacturers with items from chips to routers to random number generators.
    03-18-14 12:03 PM

Backup is encrypted with device password. This software is no different than what Link does (decrypts and restores) but you need the device PW to do it. Only downside is you can brute force a backup, but not the device. So they need access to your backup, as well as your device PW to read the file. Nothing big there, and also nothing new.
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    03-18-14 12:08 PM
    Also already posted here somewhere
    03-18-14 12:08 PM
    Backup is encrypted with device password. This software is no different than what Link does (decrypts and restores) but you need the device PW to do it. Only downside is you can brute force a backup, but not the device. So they need access to your backup, as well as your device PW to read the file. Nothing big there, and also nothing new.

Hmmm yea I think Elcomsoft might have a BlackBerry BBOS backup breaker/reader, too, but Desktop Software allows you to choose a separate password for the backup. I think that's an advantage, because it's a password only your air-gap computer will see, unlike your Blackberry password. Theoretically, the BlackBerry password could be being transported somehow over the air to an unknown party by the OS unbeknownst to the user.
    03-18-14 12:20 PM
    Read up on it and you'll see that all kinds of hardware is compromised by cooperating manufacturers. Hopefully, as middbrew pointed out, Link is in its early stages and will improve, and it's not intentionally watered down security.
    I have read up on it: I don't live under a rock. People have turned the NSA into a catch all excuse for just about everything they see as a security weakness or vulnerability. Instead of arguing the very valid point of how far electronic surveillance can be going, people just throw out anything as evidence of the NSA undermining this company, or working with that company to undermine their own products. It's rapidly getting to the point where the arguments hold about as much water as the average conspiracy theorist.

'The road to Hell is paved with good intentions and sloppy analysis'.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 05:28 AM
    Why would NSA need BB to water down their security? They can just peep in your conversations or internet traffic before its encrypted.... Much easier! Too peep at your backup, they'll need access to your computer.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-20-14 05:40 AM
    Bugaboo eh? You must support the wholesale removal of privacy protection along with government dismissal of the constitution and bill of rights. The Stasi would have eagerly recruited you.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    03-20-14 06:13 AM
    Yes. Don't live in a fantasy. Blackberry may provide your 'requested' info against govt orders.
    If that doesn't happen, BB may get tagged as a hub for criminal activities. Nomsayin'?
    This security you get is against malwares, spywares, and not against the govt.
    There are a gazillion ways to retrieve info out of you. Eg. Your carrier
    03-20-14 06:48 AM