Stratford and RIM partner for pilot project | Your online newspaper for Southwestern Ontario

Thursday, April, 05, 2012 - 12:12:17 PM
    Stratford and RIM partner for pilot project
    The City of Stratford, one of the world�s Top Seven Intelligent Communities, and Waterloo-based Research In Motion (RIM) have established a strategic partnership to collaborate on a live �smart home� technology pilot project that will use the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet as an intelligent, portable in-home display and wireless controller.
    Through RIM�s participation, the PlayBook will be utilized by a cross-section of Stratford homes and businesses fitted with a Wi-Fi enabled LED lighting system and �smart� wall plug units.
    The in-home systems will integrate with the City�s municipal wireless mesh network, developed by Rhyzome Networks, and the smart meter system operated by the City-owned electrical utility, Festival Hydro, enabling an integrated smart city pilot. The long-term goal is to roll out the platform across Stratford.
    �The City of Stratford is excited to have RIM on board in this world-class technology project,� says Stratford Mayor Dan Mathieson. �Stratford is attracting international attention as a living lab and proving ground for digital technologies that will leverage our citywide Wi-Fi for the benefit of our residents, businesses and institutions. Stratford could well set the bar for smart home technologies around the world. RIM�s interest in this project is another affirmation of our growing role as one of the world�s smart cities.�
    G-bone and andrewmcwhirter like this.
    04-25-12 12:32 AM
    Love how RIM keeps using the local community. They support the community I live, work, and get medical help in. I support them.

(FYI: Stratford is about a 1/2hr from Waterloo)

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    04-25-12 05:59 AM
    Very cool!
    04-25-12 08:00 AM
    Love how RIM keeps using the local community. They support the community I live, work, and get medical help in. I support them.

(FYI: Stratford is about a 1/2hr from Waterloo)

Sent from my Magical BlackBerry Bold 9900
    also the home of Justin Bieber!
    04-25-12 09:08 AM
    More importantly, the home of Ontario's Shakespeare Festival. Beautiful theatres ... beautiful city.
    04-25-12 09:46 AM
    And Canada's capital of meth labs lol

On a serious side, this is a first actual sign of RIM future direction aka Mobile Computing, also in combination with cars this will give RIM competitive advantage so that BlackBerry will just be one of RIMs many divisions, future could be quite promissing.
    04-25-12 10:12 AM
    Was it stratford that celebrates Stephen Colbert day? or was that another city. I recall some canadian city lost a bet with colbert (well the city's mayor did) over a hockey game or something a few years back and they had to change that day to "stephen colbert day".

im gonna have to look this up now.

Edit: My bad, it was the 'shawa

Oshawa Pays Its Debt To Tv Host Stephen Colbert
    Despite losing a bet with U.S. talk-show host Stephen Colbert, it was Oshawa�s turn to shine on March 20, 2007.

Over 3,000 were on hand to celebrate Stephen Colbert Day in Oshawa at the �Grin and Bear It� Festival in the new General Motors Centre.

It was no coincidence that the event fell on Oshawa Mayor Gray�s birthday. As a result of a wager with Colbert, Gray had to declare March 20 in Oshawa "Stephen Colbert Day".

"Mr. Colbert, you think you have defeated Oshawa. You think you have the upper hand. Take a close look at our collective grins," said Mayor Gray on stage. "Over 180 media outlets across North America have covered this story. This is the way to lose a bet."

Earlier in the evening, at the venue�s Prospects Bar & Grill, the Mayor was presented with a giant birthday cake featuring a photo of himself and Colbert.
    Last edited by Knightcrawler; 04-25-12 at 12:25 PM.
    04-25-12 12:22 PM
    I have a couple issues with this....

If this works on the city wide free wifi, couldn't pretty much anybody else on the city wide free wifi take control over your house if you didn't set your security settings correctly?

Even on your own home network wouldn't anyone else connected to your wifi (or hacks into your wifi) also be able to control every single part of your house that requires electricity from your water and heat to your alarm clock and tv?

Add in the current ability to pay with your cell phone and unlock /remote start your car and now if your phone is stolen the criminal has access to your personal information, money, car, and home.

Seems like a bit of a sacrifice to save flicking on and off the lightswitch when you enter and leave a room.

Finally, hasn't Rogers been selling this exact same product/service for two year period now under the smarthome brand?
    04-25-12 12:24 PM
    Im sure RIM will look to mitigate such security concerns. It would only make sense.

And ya i do believe Rogers offers something similar with ther smart home thingamabob, though im note sure exactly what it is. I was under the impression it was just a security system that you could interact with via your phone, not a complete 'smart home' system.

If RIM was smart, they'd partner with Rogers and just integrate the two systems, giving RIM a MAJOR foothold in canadian homes.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-25-12 12:28 PM
    And Canada's capital of meth labs lol

On a serious side, this is a first actual sign of RIM future direction aka Mobile Computing, also in combination with cars this will give RIM competitive advantage so that BlackBerry will just be one of RIMs many divisions, future could be quite promissing.
    Its a step in the right direction for sure, but I think I remember Microsoft doing tests like this back in the 90's or early 2000's ? Its not entirely new idea, but shows the potential of the BB devices and BB10 specifically.
    04-25-12 01:54 PM
    Just a beaver?
    04-25-12 04:22 PM
    Its a step in the right direction for sure, but I think I remember Microsoft doing tests like this back in the 90's or early 2000's ? Its not entirely new idea, but shows the potential of the BB devices and BB10 specifically.
    This could potentially be that RIM-Micro Soft partnership that everyone is talking about. MS is software company, RIM is communications company, bring two toghether and you have great product and great money making potential. Only time will tell I guess
    04-25-12 05:20 PM
    Im sure RIM will look to mitigate such security concerns. It would only make sense.

And ya i do believe Rogers offers something similar with ther smart home thingamabob, though im note sure exactly what it is. I was under the impression it was just a security system that you could interact with via your phone, not a complete 'smart home' system.

If RIM was smart, they'd partner with Rogers and just integrate the two systems, giving RIM a MAJOR foothold in canadian homes.
    Nope, it's a complete system. Controls your lighting, heating, cooling, etc. At least according to the commercials.
    04-25-12 05:38 PM
    This type of thing has been possible for years now. As custom integrators we have been using the ipad / iphone to replace expensive proprietary touch screens in peoples homes for at least 2 years. We monitor lighs, shades, heating, entertainment, and cameras. Hopefully the apps available for Android and Apple become available for the playbook / bb10 also.

I have heard Rogers uses Control4 for their interface although i haven't seen it myself. If you're interested in this type of thing check for these companies on your Apple / Android device.

Control4
    Crestron
    Lutron
    Savant

Tim
    04-25-12 07:58 PM
    Nope, it's a complete system. Controls your lighting, heating, cooling, etc. At least according to the commercials.
    Commercials ?!?!?!? Do share
    04-25-12 10:42 PM
    Innovative!

But I'll still want to control my home my way.
    04-26-12 12:59 AM
    Commercials ?!?!?!? Do share
    They're part of the new series of Rogers ads starring Francesca from Due South. Try googling Rogers smart home ad.
    04-26-12 07:10 AM
    This sort of thing has been available over the Internet for years. I can't see why you couldn't get on the appropriate website on your phone browser and work the controls from there.
    04-26-12 03:45 PM
    This sort of thing has been available over the Internet for years. I can't see why you couldn't get on the appropriate website on your phone browser and work the controls from there.
    Possible yes. But its never really taken off yet. If RIM is able to partner with a major service provider (ei: Rogers) then maybe can make a market for it.
    04-26-12 06:25 PM
    Justin Bieber is canadian??? And i thought Canada was where all the nice people came from.
    05-01-12 04:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD