08-27-13 10:46 AM
    08-27-13 10:48 AM
    Interesting but how would they profit from this?
    08-27-13 10:52 AM
    Easy, we will all have to pay for a BBM App.
    08-27-13 10:56 AM
    How does twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn...etc etc profit?

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    08-27-13 10:57 AM
    How does twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn...etc etc profit?

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    Advertisements?...
    08-27-13 10:59 AM
    Aaaaaaand it will go on both my non BlackBerry devices.

I'll be happy. All BBM all the time everywhere.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    08-27-13 11:00 AM
    I think the question should be WHAT is the reason behind this. Companies create those subsidiary so if there is financial problem it won't affect the value of any other product or business. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    08-27-13 11:05 AM
    I'm also wondering what the reason for splitting it off into another company would be? Other than selling off the company.
    08-27-13 11:11 AM
    Could blackberry truly profit from BBM along? I struggle to get people on blackberry to use it.

Posted via CB10
    szlevi likes this.
    08-27-13 11:21 AM
    BBM might be good but I would never buy BBM if I used another platform. The only possibility to get any revenue of BBM is to charge for the services around BBM, not the software itself. However, as I see it this will be very hard as the competition is fierce and there are several free alternatives.
    08-27-13 11:45 AM
    Advertisements?...
    Winner! There will no doubt be monetization within channels for corporate customers, and also don't forget BBM money.

You also can consider not all features will be unlocked with a free version and upgrading to have video call or some other feature could come with a small upgrade fee.

Lots of ways to make money on this once traction is gained

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    08-27-13 11:49 AM
    Winner! There will no doubt be monetization within channels for corporate customers, and also don't forget BBM money.

You also can consider not all features will be unlocked with a free version and upgrading to have video call or some other feature could come with a small upgrade fee.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    Such things will do more harm than good
    08-27-13 11:55 AM
    With all due respect Luc, there are people (like me) who almost never blog page so having this posted in the Forums is really quite useful...and appropriate
    21stNow likes this.
    08-27-13 11:58 AM
    Ok I must be naive but I don't see this spin off as a bad thing. I would definitely pay for BBM. I think that BBM Channels is going to be huge. Huge I tell ya!!

Marijuana news, Strain Reviews, Pics, etc. Come hang out with us at Roc's Corner C000A8BE4.
    08-27-13 12:00 PM
    I don't want to be a Debbie....

...but I'm really starting to get worried about this little Canadian Companies survival with more news like this!

Swiped On My Zed10
    08-27-13 12:07 PM
    BBM might be good but I would never buy BBM if I used another platform. The only possibility to get any revenue of BBM is to charge for the services around BBM, not the software itself. However, as I see it this will be very hard as the competition is fierce and there are several free alternatives.
    They don't necessarily have to charge the end user for BBM. For example, in Indonesia, Samsung is selling a lot of Android phones. They could sell BBM for Android to Samsung as a preinstalled app to make Samsung phones a more attractive option compared to Samsung's competition.
    08-27-13 12:18 PM
    I'm also wondering what the reason for splitting it off into another company would be? Other than selling off the company.
    The management might feel the company as a whole is undervalued. Perhaps this is one way of creating a valuation for one of their prized assets.
    app_Developer, bekkay and eldricho like this.
    08-27-13 12:20 PM
    They don't necessarily have to charge the end user for BBM. For example, in Indonesia, Samsung is selling a lot of Android phones. They could sell BBM for Android to Samsung as a preinstalled app to make Samsung phones a more attractive option compared to Samsung's competition.
    But why do those people use BBM? Because it helps them keep their costs down. On a Samsung, that won't happen.
    08-27-13 12:31 PM
    But why do those people use BBM? Because it helps them keep their costs down. On a Samsung, that won't happen.
    uhhhhhh..... They're already advertising it......

Samsung begins advertising BBM coming soon to Galaxy series devices | CrackBerry.com

EDIT: Actually, i originally misunderstood the post. Here's an example of how it would save money. I'm on a plan that costs about $16 per month, it comes with 300MB data and 30 minutes talk, but no texts. Texts cost about $0.008 each. You can see how about 2000 texts would equal the price of the entire plan. Using a chat app like BBM would eliminate that extra expense. 2000 messages via something like BBM would probably be a couple of MB tops.
    08-27-13 12:35 PM
    It's the only reasonable conclusion, really, since they announced its availability on other platforms.
    08-27-13 12:39 PM
    Perhaps it is to distance the product from BlackBerry, in the eyes of the American consumer or Wall St. analysts, since neither is all too bright.
    Perhaps it is to force Wall St. analysts to consider the value of BBM when evaluating BBRY stock.
    Perhaps they feel many competitor companies don't want to deal directly with BlackBerry but will deal with a wholly owned subsidiary.
    08-27-13 12:39 PM

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    How do they get money out of BBM Money? Is there a slight transaction fee?
    08-27-13 12:48 PM
    BBM will become no different than all the rest like...WhatsApp, and Kik etc. Just another choice.

Also I see this as the beginning for BB. Next announcement you will see the Hardware division becoming a separate entity, followed by BES/BIS , then QNX.
    Sigh...
    08-27-13 01:41 PM
    Could this be the beginning of blackberry making the shift to software and getting out of the hardware side of the business? I really hope that's not the case.

Posted via CB10
    Shlooky likes this.
    08-27-13 01:45 PM
40 12