BlackBerry is back in game with plans to license its new operating system to entry-level devices.

Read more: [url=http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/business-it/blackberry-aims-high-at-lowcost-devices-20130214-2ee9q.html#ixzz2KpXSTO1R
    BlackBerry 10 OS Licensed To Entry Level Devices: Z10, Q10: Photos[/url]
    ]BlackBerry is considering licensing its smartphone software to other phone manufacturers in an attempt to get low-cost devices running its new BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system.

"We are looking into licensing [for lower-cost devices]," BlackBerry chief executive Thorsten Heins told Fairfax Media on Thursday during an international media briefing at the company's headquarters in Waterloo, Canada.

BlackBerry is back in the game.
    Kevin Michaluk, Crackberry.com

"It's a question of the business model and timing to trigger the decision of if and when you would do this."

This would include "a mid-tier device or, for certain markets, even an entry-level device".

"The question is which price points can we achieve. The cost of the technology is pretty high at the moment for a full-fledged smartphone," he said.

"If you think about the display resolution, the processors and memory you need, and then run the math, we're probably not going to get there in the next six months."

New BlackBerrys to launch here next month

The first of the new BlackBerry handsets, the all-touchscreen Z10, will go on sale in Australia in late March on the 3G and 4G networks of Telstra and Optus.

BlackBerry chief Thorsten Heins dismissed reports of subdued and even underwhelming sales of the Z10 on its debut in Canada and the UK earlier this month.

"I completely disagree with that. This was the best launch ever in BlackBerry history, it was beyond expectations, and we have numbers to support that," he said.

But he cautions that "we need to maintain that momentum, we need to ensure this is just not fireworks".

Read more: BlackBerry 10 OS Licensed To Entry Level Devices: Z10, Q10: Photos

The full article is well worth the read and Kevin and Crackberry get a couple of mentions.
    02-13-13 06:52 PM
    This is awesome news...just awesomeness....TH is truly a wonderful leader. He's going to out Google Google....well, maybe not yet but it's a great model to replicate.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 07:09 PM
    The licensing of BB10 has been mentioned a number of times in the last year or so. Now the biggest issue in licensing it would be who do they license it to and to what extent does the license cover? If you look at Android, the range of devices using that OS varies wildly and there are many cheap Android devices running older builds that have the potential to dilute the product across the board. Samsung has been previously mentioned, Lenovo and Sony have popped up in recent weeks as possible BB10 device licensees. If BlackBerry is really going to license BB10 for someone to make an entry level device, Lenovo or Sony aren't too shabby (Does Lenovo currently sell their smartphones in North America? If they do, I guess they don't do a lot of promotion of them.). Lenovo is the #2 smartphone company in China (Samsung is #1.) and getting them on the BB10 platform could really boost BlackBerry's stature in the Chinese market which is a fast growing market. Sony's known for good quality products and perhaps a licensing deal with Sony could be how BB10 gets into Japan.
    02-13-13 07:19 PM
    Well said^^^...Not a like on CB app yet but I intentioned it. I suspect they will control device spec's pretty closely as far a looks...added bonus is getting paid to test bed product lines...exciting times.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 07:28 PM
    Let's put bias and sheep-like behavior aside, to have a discussion.
    Question is why anyone would pay for license fee when they are saving pennies in build cost in the low end devices. Currently, they have a free to use option with relatively low fee (Android) that has a much wider user base and name recognition. The halo effect from the flagship Android devices (GS3, HTC One) also help selling the low end Android phones. In SOC side, Mediatek just started shipping the low cost dual core A9 chip developed for low cost Android device with driver and customization support. What is the value added from BB to justify the added cost and risk for other device makers? BBM is surely one feature that is still prominent outside of US market. But other than BBM, I couldn't think of one other decisive feature to differentiate BB. Besides, how good is BB track record in validating SOC for low cost usage and providing development and driver support? Given the BB execution track record and with limited prior experience in licensing out a platform, most phone makers are going to be leery about their support on software and bug update.
    m0de25 and allengeorge like this.
    02-13-13 07:57 PM
    Problem is that with the Hub as currently architectured, 1gb ram is simply not enough. You'll need at least 1.5gb RAM, if not 2gb. That's the biggest deterrent to lower cost devices. The other issue is that BB10 devices don't have the same bandwidth efficiencies as the legacy BBOS devices, and as such, it will be harder sell at the lower price point...
    02-13-13 07:58 PM
    Problem is that with the Hub as currently architectured, 1gb ram is simply not enough. You'll need at least 1.5gb RAM, if not 2gb. That's the biggest deterrent to lower cost devices. The other issue is that BB10 devices don't have the same bandwidth efficiencies as the legacy BBOS devices, and as such, it will be harder sell at the lower price point...
    Designed the os and eatablished its min system reqs did you?
    kfh227 likes this.
    02-13-13 08:03 PM
    The alphas have 1gb ram and run fine.
    02-13-13 08:04 PM
    The alphas have 1gb ram and run fine.
    It runs "fine" but I'm finding the RAM usage goes below 100mb quite quickly, and apps are killed too quickly. A 1gb RAM device works, but the experience is just not as good as 2gb. Of course, this is the same issue that Android has, but I'm not sure if BB wants to go down that route with crappy low end devices running a version of the OS that is not working as well.
    02-13-13 08:19 PM
    It runs "fine" but I'm finding the RAM usage goes below 100mb quite quickly, and apps are killed too quickly. A 1gb RAM device works, but the experience is just not as good as 2gb. Of course, this is the same issue that Android has, but I'm not sure if BB wants to go down that route with crappy low end devices running a version of the OS that is not working as well.
    Um, isn't that kind of the definition of "low-end?". A less capable device?

A low-end BB10 could cut corners with a less powerful SoC, and a lower-rez screen (with the same aspect-ratio that shouldn't be a problem). 2GB RAM is likely to be the standard pretty quick anyway. Drop stuff like the HDMI-out and maybe even the SD slot. I think that could work.
    02-13-13 08:47 PM
    As users we need not be concerned about the power of these low end devices.. there will be some oversight from Blackberry to make sure the hardware doesn't make BB10 look bad, but other then that go nuts.. license it to everyone and sell LOTS of them.. will I buy one? Nope.. I like my Blackberry hardware... but the more OEM's selling hardware at any quality with BB10 on it, means the more subscribers there are and the more app developers will take notice of the platform.. that is basically the entire reason android does so well.. if the platform was measured on any one OEM's sales it wouldn't have the market share to command that every dev build for it like it does, but because android apps can be installed on every OEM's version of android... the platform has the largest user base in the world.. BB10 could be right up there if Blackberry does the same..
    02-13-13 08:57 PM
    Good read, I hope to see licensing agreements soon.
    02-13-13 09:00 PM

A low-end BB10 could cut corners with a less powerful SoC, and a lower-rez screen (with the same aspect-ratio that shouldn't be a problem). 2GB RAM is likely to be the standard pretty quick anyway. Drop stuff like the HDMI-out and maybe even the SD slot. I think that could work.
    True. I guess they can go with crappier screens, less internal memory, and less powerful CPU....
    02-13-13 09:01 PM
    Keeping their name off the low end devices may improve their image. I like this idea. Most people who had issues with Blackberry in the past were low end curve owners upset their cheap smartphone couldnt compete with an expensive iphone.
    Balti43 and aniym like this.
    02-13-13 09:03 PM
    It is possible that RIM does licensing deal with vendors that will not allow to sell in developed nations, rather allow to sell in markets such as japan, china, korea, etc.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    02-13-13 10:56 PM
    And they made more money off of bis service revenue in emerging markets than they did hardware wise right?
    02-13-13 11:56 PM
    I would very much like to see if big brands like HP/Dell were to take up the challenge in producing hardware for medium entry BB10 OS. It will be good for them rather than producing Android and competing with the big S.

IMHO, cost can be reduced with lesser quality hardware such as screen monitor, plastic casing, lower memory (<16GB) and lower labor cost (most manufacture in China) without sacrificing its performance related hardware like RAM, processor and etc.
    02-14-13 12:25 AM
    blackberry has said in the past that they can not turn out enough phones on their own.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    02-14-13 01:11 AM
    WTF??? Is this April's fool already??? How will BB make any money on this?!?!? This is crazy guys!
    02-14-13 03:05 AM
    $ per handset sold. HP have just announced they are going to use Android. Sony might be a licensee. So might HTC and Dell.
    02-14-13 04:32 AM
    WTF??? Is this April's fool already??? How will BB make any money on this?!?!? This is crazy guys!
    1. Licensing fees
    2. NOC integration
    3. Zero cost or risk in the said mature Asian markets
    4. Benefits of market penatration in said Mature Asian markets
    Turned out an easy 4 instead.
    02-14-13 06:21 AM

They could also drop NFC support and tweak the OS to a four-app limit, if they do go with 1 GB. If the price is competitive, people will buy a less capable device. This is especially true of people who are uncertain whether they want to switch for the long term. My first BB, in 2008, was the Curve 8320, not the Bold. I didn't want to spend flagship money at that point, because I wasn't sure whether I'd like BB.
    jakie55 likes this.
    02-14-13 08:31 AM
    Why no blog from Crackberry on this?
    02-16-13 06:25 PM
    Well, I think to start this discussion we should drop the word low-end and replace it with value. When you do this, it changes the way you look at the issue. Personally, I think it would be of benefit for BB10 to pursue the development of value devices just as it has been for car companies. Look at Toyota and Honda, they always had solid, reliable cars available for the price sensitive shopper and this benefited these companies tremendously in the long term. They weren't the cheapest (hello K car) but people bought them by the boat load. Ford picked up on this strategy 20 years ago and have been working hard to redevelop their car lines like the Focus.

The way I see it , BB10 licensing works in three types of situations. First, there is a need for a value device in many parts of the world and BB could partner with regional companies with local market expertise. Remember, value does not equate with cheap. There is no benefit to race to the bottom with crappy android devices. Second, BB10 licensing work well for companies who want to market high end devices in regions not served by BB. Sony comes to mind. Lastly, I think BB10 licensing also works for firms who look at the bigger picture and need the QNX platform to enable M2M applications. Again Sony comes to mind in regards their phones and the PS2 gaming system.

With licensing comes hazards but also benefits, the most important being the faster development of a robust ecosystem. However, the key is value. If cheap was the way to go, we wouldn't see so many Android phone makers on the verge of insolvency.
    02-17-13 09:13 AM
    RAM is cheap, shouldn't be a factor.
    02-17-13 09:29 AM
26 12