Actually, a new BlackBerry pop-up store has arrived in New York—across from the stock exchange, & it is selling BB10 & Android-based Blackberry phones with docks & cases. BB10 is still viable & the Priv's keyboard deserves much more credit than "a hollow" mention. Actually, the Priv was hyped so far before its launch that rival brands were pushing the envelope of what they could design in order to take away from its notoriety & success. The camera's megapixel specs were a far cry from any previous Android, yet suddenly a 21 MP camera was featured in a phone that appeared just around the launch of its 18 MP. No other Android has been as regularly updated, privacy-conscious, or secure. The Priv has been the first to defeat the latter iterations of the Stagefright vulnerabilities & is one of the few to successfully & stably run Marshmallow—that puts it in the top 10%. You're right that marketing through media is only part of the equation because unfair business practices, horrible product display & placement in stores (there have been displays that were not getting electricity, not getting put in demonstration mode, & not being set up), underminding salespeople who have told people that it would be a horrible phone unworthy of a purchase & seek to exchange it for another brand rather than HELP & DO THEIR JOB, & biased IT departments are bigger bites of this unsavory effort to sabotage an excellent brand. BlackBerry rocks, & the others are just glass houses that already have holes—hence why they have been doing so much patch work recently.
    I think the Priv is an excellent device, The best looking Android phone out there in terms of design.. No wonder it won the red dot design award.. but the price was too high.. Now, its not too high the way you think.. If BlackBerry was in their golden days, they could've released the Priv for $700 and everyone would've bought it.. But at this state, you're winning customers back.. They won't risk $700 on BlackBerry.. They're comfortable fluffing the 700 on S7 and iSheep 6.. When the phone got knocked down to $400 and even $300 lately.. All people are buying it like crazy..

Now Lets think a little.. Why BlackBerry didn't see this?.. You just don't directly compete with the biggest brands out there when you've been off the radar for quite a while.. We needed a mid ranger to win the masses back, then something High range like the Priv to solidify our position.. BlackBerry is the victim of a stupid management.. Chen is a great CEO in terms of software but he is NOT a Hardware guy.. BlackBerry should be divided into two divisions, a software division with Chen as CEO and a hardware division, with a CEO that can stage a proper comeback and is knowledgeable about hardware.
    06-21-16 05:23 PM
    I think the Priv is an excellent device, The best looking Android phone out there in terms of design.. No wonder it won the red dot design award.. but the price was too high.. Now, its not too high the way you think.. If BlackBerry was in their golden days, they could've released the Priv for $700 and everyone would've bought it.. But at this state, you're winning customers back.. They won't risk $700 on BlackBerry.. They're comfortable fluffing the 700 on S7 and iSheep 6.. When the phone got knocked down to $400 and even $300 lately.. All people are buying it like crazy..

Now Lets think a little.. Why BlackBerry didn't see this?.. You just don't directly compete with the biggest brands out there when you've been off the radar for quite a while.. We needed a mid ranger to win the masses back, then something High range like the Priv to solidify our position.. BlackBerry is the victim of a stupid management.. Chen is a great CEO in terms of software but he is NOT a Hardware guy.. BlackBerry should be divided into two divisions, a software division with Chen as CEO and a hardware division, with a CEO that can stage a proper comeback and is knowledgeable about hardware.
    Who's allocating the budget to the Co-CEOs...?

:-)

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-21-16 05:32 PM
    Who's allocating the budget to the Co-CEOs...?

:-)

•   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   •
    A joint Board xD.. They already allocate budgets to hardware and software while they're one company.. it can be figured out.. HP made that split.. Software and hardware.. Lots of companies have such divisions when they're doing many things.
    06-21-16 05:33 PM
    I see a video blackberry posted on their instagram account today........is that the ad?
    06-21-16 05:35 PM
    New popup store in Manhattan? Maybe the new marketing guy actually has some authority to spend money. Maybe they won't axe hardware.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 05:55 PM
    I don't think it is ignorant if people don't know they still exist if they never see them from day to day. Most people have much more important things to do.

Posted via CB10
    I think therein lies the problem. "Much more important things to do" doesn't equal doing ZERO market research for something you are spending at least hundreds of dollars on, which basically is what it would amount to if you are a smartphone owner and you didn't even know Blackberry still exists. I can't think of any material product that I had spent over several hundred dollars on where I was completely unaware of some of the alternative choices. I can immediately name three alternative food processor/blender brands, as mundane as it gets, to the Vitamix that I ultimately settled on because hey, I was spending a good amount of money ($400) on it.

Unless you work 14 hour days, have an extremely busy family life or have such wide swaths of disposable income that $400+ doesn't make the slightest dent on your life, having "more important things to do" isn't the reason for ignorance. It's just laziness to not put in 20 minutes of market research before committing to something.
    Sairos likes this.
    06-21-16 06:04 PM
    Svelt, maybe BlackBerry should hire you to make the world population less lazy. Then people will do more research and buy blackberries. Let's see, what is their marketing budget? You're going to have to take public transit to a lot of high schools for your speeches.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 06:28 PM
    Svelt, maybe BlackBerry should hire you to make the world population less lazy. Then people will do more research and buy blackberries. Let's see, what is their marketing budget? You're going to have to take public transit to a lot of high schools for your speeches.

Posted via CB10
    I do agree that the marketing is non-existent.. But Svelt was actually speaking in a more general way about how people should research before buying.. He also didn't mean that people should buy BlackBerrys, but he rather talked about how they would've known it exists.. The fact that some people think the company doesn't exist is a little strange..

Lets see how a little research on a product really helps people save money or make the right decision. We'll use the Priv as an example.. I walk into a BlackBerry store.. I like the priv so I get it for $500 & smth.. Some odd days later.. I find it on Ebay for $300 or a little more.. Now if I've done a little research on google and other websites .. I would've probably bumped into an article that says its being sold for $300.. On CrackBerry.. On GSMARENA or anywhere else.. A little research would've saved me $200+..

Believe me a lot of people end up with wrong or expensive purchases because they don't research what they're buying..
    06-21-16 07:01 PM
    Believe me a lot of people end up with wrong or expensive purchases because they don't research what they're buying..
    Yeah, but people aren't ending up with "over-priced" BlackBerry phones. There is no incentive too sell them at a cell phone store.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 07:56 PM
    I do agree that the marketing is non-existent.. But Svelt was actually speaking in a more general way about how people should research before buying.. He also didn't mean that people should buy BlackBerrys, but he rather talked about how they would've known it exists.. The fact that some people think the company doesn't exist is a little strange..

Lets see how a little research on a product really helps people save money or make the right decision. We'll use the Priv as an example.. I walk into a BlackBerry store.. I like the priv so I get it for $500 & smth.. Some odd days later.. I find it on Ebay for $300 or a little more.. Now if I've done a little research on google and other websites .. I would've probably bumped into an article that says its being sold for $300.. On CrackBerry.. On GSMARENA or anywhere else.. A little research would've saved me $200+..

You can return the $500 phone and buy the $300 one. Maybe that's why the stores are complaining about too many returns?

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>< Lumia950
    06-21-16 07:59 PM
    Yeah, but people aren't ending up with "over-priced" BlackBerry phones. There is no incentive too sell them at a cell phone store.

Posted via CB10
    Is this a fact or an opinion xD? Of all the Priv devices that were sold.. No one bought them for $700 $600 or $500?!.. They all got themselves a deal from Ebay? That's quite Good..
    06-21-16 08:03 PM
    You can return the $500 phone and buy the $300 one. Maybe that's why the stores are complaining about too many returns?

What if you never find out that the phone is selling for $300.. Or maybe too late to return it after few months..

The returns story was someone from AT&T saying that most people who bought it were BlackBerry fans and they didn't like android..
    06-21-16 08:12 PM
    [QUOTE=Sairos;12478283

The returns story was someone from AT&T saying that most people who bought it were BlackBerry fans and they didn't like android..[/QUOTE]

Or maybe that's what they TOLD the AT&T salesman and didn't admit that they found it at a cheaper price? :-).

06-21-16 08:20 PM

My point was that while this might be true it is just a commentary on the human condition. People rely upon marketing to drive their decision-making. People do lots of foolish things. Blackberry cannot change the way people make their buying decisions. It needs to market properly and in more creative ways so that people know that the company exists and that its phones are attractive choices.

Complaining that people are not shrewd enough in their shopping methodology does not help the company.
    06-21-16 08:28 PM
    Or maybe that's what they TOLD the AT&T salesman and didn't admit that they found it at a cheaper price? :-).

An executive at AT&T, one of BlackBerry's longest allies, didn't pull any punches in an assessment of the latest flagship phone.

"The BlackBerry Priv is really struggling," the high-level executive, who asked not to be named, said last week. "We've seen more returns than we would like."

AT&T offered a more detailed account of why the Priv has disappointed. BlackBerry and the carrier expected to see demand for an Android phone with a physical keyboard. Instead, most of the buyers were BlackBerry loyalists, the executive said. Those faithful, however, struggled with the transition from the BlackBerry operating system to the Android operating system, leading to a higher-than-expected rate of return."

Seems like AT&T has a more detailed explanation of why the devices were returned.
    06-21-16 08:30 PM
    My point was that while this might be true it is just a commentary on the human condition. People rely upon marketing to drive their decision-making. People do lots of foolish things. Blackberry cannot change the way people make their buying decisions. It needs to market properly and in more creative ways so that people know that the company exists and that its phones are attractive choices.
    Yeah, I agree.. the marketing was awful, I even sent them a message, telling them I didn't see a single Ad for the Priv where I'm.. How are people supposed to know about it.. The only ad I saw was from a big retailer announcing the arrival of the device xD..
    06-21-16 08:35 PM
    I was playing call of duty and I told my clan mates that I had a blackberry....my whole team laughed at me for like 20 minutes then went on to talk about how Samsung is the best and how the iPhone 7 has nifty features....all I could do was facepalm. They had no clue that BlackBerry 10 devices existed or the Priv existed. I was like...you all do know there's other devices out there right? But what can you do...

Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30
    WiseEyes likes this.
    06-21-16 10:09 PM
    I was playing call of duty and I told my clan mates that I had a blackberry....my whole team laughed at me for like 20 minutes then went on to talk about how Samsung is the best and how the iPhone 7 has nifty features....all I could do was facepalm. They had no clue that BlackBerry 10 devices existed or the Priv existed. I was like...you all do know there's other devices out there right? But what can you do...

Pimp slappin iGeeks, Droinerds and Windufuses with my big white Z30
    What can you do? Email Blackberry's corporate office and tell them that Chen's marketing strategy of just doing internet ads to people that have searched for "Blackberry" in their search engine is a losing strategy.
    06-21-16 10:20 PM
    Did anyone see the BlackBerry Twitter account posting a couple days ago? Something about write apps for BB10 and be rewarded?

I thought they'd given up on that sort of begging too.

Posted via CB10
    If BlackBerry was smart they would just hire a team of app developers and just create the apps that people want the most. They can start with like the top 20 apps and expand from there. Most apps aren't even necessary if the company provides the same functionality in the browser.

IF they would have done this YEARS ago when the announced BB10 they wouldn't have been such a joke in the industry now.

Instead the hitch their wagon to Amazon, so the developers respond by removing support for BB10 phones.
    06-22-16 02:10 PM
    If BlackBerry was smart they would just hire a team of app developers and just create the apps that people want the most. They can start with like the top 20 apps and expand from there. Most apps aren't even necessary if the company provides the same functionality in the browser.

IF they would have done this YEARS ago when the announced BB10 they wouldn't have been such a joke in the industry now.

Instead the hitch their wagon to Amazon, so the developers respond by removing support for BB10 phones.
    They did try this, in addition to paying developers to port their apps themselves. There are quite a few threads on the forums about it. The Amazon Appstore was basically a last ditch move for apps, its certainly helped to some extent but perhaps not as much as they had hoped.
    06-22-16 04:26 PM
    They did try this, in addition to paying developers to port their apps themselves. There are quite a few threads on the forums about it. The Amazon Appstore was basically a last ditch move for apps, its certainly helped to some extent but perhaps not as much as they had hoped.

I have always wondered why so many app's that are available on the Amazon App store aren't available for Blackberry devices? I know some apps require Google Play but surely it doesn't make much sense to exclude millions of devices that have Amazon app store already pre-installed.

I am not the biggest app guy but here in Canada the odd app I search for I don't seem to find, it's almost useless from the handful of times I have searched. I did manage to find Starbucks app which is a big one for me, not available anymore though.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 04:42 PM
    Yes, and now really hard if the APIs aren't available freely.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 05:37 PM
    Is this commercial available for viewing on YouTube?

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 10:56 AM
    Yes, that's definitely it.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 12:41 PM
    06-26-16 12:43 PM
117 12345