Most of the people I know don't research what phone to buy, they only know iPhone or Samsung. So if they walk into a store that doesn't have any BlackBerrys on display, they assume that they don't exist!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    Couldn't agree more. Ergo, if BlackBerry had ever wanted to make BlackBerry10 a success they completely failed in their (initial) marketing.
    OTCHRussell likes this.
    06-18-16 04:30 PM
    I get the same reaction to my Passport from many Americans I meet at conferences - though some just ask me if I have a job in government, as they assume that only governments buy BlackBerry nowadays.
    The passport is an excellent device.. BlackBerry missed a great opportunity with it.. If they released it in Android and marketed it well.. I assure you it would've been a success.. Due to the fact that it has a very interesting screen and the keyboard only posses a small part of the device.. BlackBerry is all about missed chances..
    06-18-16 04:50 PM
    The passport is an excellent device.. BlackBerry missed a great opportunity with it.. If they released it in Android and marketed it well.. I assure you it would've been a success.. Due to the fact that it has a very interesting screen and the keyboard only posses a small part of the device.. BlackBerry is all about missed chances..
    The screen dimensions would have potentially caused problems. But regardless, seems to be everyone's favorite. I have never seen one

Posted via CB10
    06-18-16 05:52 PM
    ... I didn't see it

Posted via CB10
    06-18-16 06:22 PM
    This is also the problem when it comes to buying anything because usually the best product is not the best one marketed.
    Do you have some examples of this?
    06-18-16 08:24 PM
    Do you have some examples of this?
    1-Grey Goose: One of the most popular Vodka brands out there.. Yet its not at all good.. Anyone one who is an expert in vodka would tell you that Grey goose is overpriced, over-hyped & over-rated.. People drink it because it makes them look cool... They've an incredible marketing department and great product placement.. Ads & Commercials everywhere.. Very Good looking Bottle.. Always spotted in Music videos and big clubs too.. Very over hyped in the pop culture.. Grey Goose is made in France, a country that is not known for Vodka at all.. They're good in Wine and Cognac.. If the country has the capability to do Vodka and become as successful as Grey Goose, why didn't we see any other popular French Vodka makers out there?.. The best Vodka is Russian & Polish.. Belvedere, Beluga, Ciroc & Kremlin are all much better and cheaper than Grey Goose. They're also lauded and praised by a lot of critics.

2-Beats: Ah, what can we say about Beats?.. Same stuff.. Overpriced, Over-hyped & Overrated.. All audiophiles will tell you this.. They too have a great marketing department.. Dr.Dre is behind it, Actually its named Beats By Dr.Dre.. They use a lot of stars, celebrities & athletes to market the product.. .. that's enough to get it sold.. People buy them because they are fashion accessories not because they're good.. Imagine that.. Buying headphones that are made for music, so they can look good as if they're clothes.. with no real regard to sound quality.. Sennheiser (Since 1945), Beyerdynamics (1924) & Audio-Technica (1962) are all superior & much cheaper than beats.. They're much more specialized in Audio equipment that they'll blow your mind if you read about them.

The Following is from Beats Electronics' Wikipedia page.. Written under "Critical Reception":

"Some critics claim that Beats products emphasize appearance over quality and function, arguing that more durable and better-sounding products are available for the same price.[66][67] Beats' consumer-focused language and lack of technical terms has been called "puffery", buzzwords, and marketing hype by audiophiles.[68] Unlike some other audio companies, Beats does not state technical specifications for their headphones (such as frequency response, driver diameter, max input power, sensitivity, and impedance)."

3-Diamonds: This is actually the best example for the power of marketing.. Diamonds until today are considered a premium precious metal.. Lots of people buy it as engagement rings and other people invest in them.. They're one of the WORST investments that you can ever make.. So why do people really buy them? The answer is in one company's marketing campaign.. De Beers Diamond Company .. Google the following "diamonds and why they're not a good investment".. and you'll see lots of websites that explain it..

Its best explained in the following huffington post article: 7 Reasons Why Diamonds Are a Waste of Your Money

All of these are examples for products that are thought to be excellent, yet they're overpriced and a big waste of your money.. and not the best option you should put your money in.. I could go on about Samsung and their Pre-S6 ugly plastic phones Vs the Superior HTC one M7 & M8.. and how much each device sold.. I could go on about many other examples.. But you get the idea..

"If advertisers spent the same amount of money on improving their products as they do on advertising then they wouldn't have to advertise them"... - Will Rogers

I'm deeply sorry for the long post xD.. I hope it was a good read.
    Last edited by Sairos; 06-18-16 at 10:01 PM.
    06-18-16 09:45 PM
    Don't forget Monster Cable.

Dyson.

Plenty others.

The one difference though, is that for those brands there are competitors that offer the same or better experience than the big sellers. While the priv is Android and does everything Android can do, BB10 is still so far behind in terms of experience that it cannot succeed. The OS experience is smooth but the lack of 3rd party software applications is insurmountable.

People do marvel at my Passport, but I do not and will not encourage anyone to buy one, if they are already invested in another ecosystem. The hardware and the OS aren't enough by itself to make this a compelling choice for the masses.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    06-19-16 05:20 AM
    1-Grey Goose: One of the most popular Vodka brands out there.. Yet its not at all good.. Anyone one who is an expert in vodka would tell you that Grey goose is overpriced, over-hyped & over-rated.. People drink it because it makes them look cool... They've an incredible marketing department and great product placement.. Ads & Commercials everywhere.. Very Good looking Bottle.. Always spotted in Music videos and big clubs too.. Very over hyped in the pop culture.. Grey Goose is made in France, a country that is not known for Vodka at all.. They're good in Wine and Cognac.. If the country has the capability to do Vodka and become as successful as Grey Goose, why didn't we see any other popular French Vodka makers out there?.. The best Vodka is Russian & Polish.. Belvedere, Beluga, Ciroc & Kremlin are all much better and cheaper than Grey Goose. They're also lauded and praised by a lot of critics.

2-Beats: Ah, what can we say about Beats?.. Same stuff.. Overpriced, Over-hyped & Overrated.. All audiophiles will tell you this.. They too have a great marketing department.. Dr.Dre is behind it, Actually its named Beats By Dr.Dre.. They use a lot of stars, celebrities & athletes to market the product.. .. that's enough to get it sold.. People buy them because they are fashion accessories not because they're good.. Imagine that.. Buying headphones that are made for music, so they can look good as if they're clothes.. with no real regard to sound quality.. Sennheiser (Since 1945), Beyerdynamics (1924) & Audio-Technica (1962) are all superior & much cheaper than beats.. They're much more specialized in Audio equipment that they'll blow your mind if you read about them.

The Following is from Beats Electronics' Wikipedia page.. Written under "Critical Reception":

"Some critics claim that Beats products emphasize appearance over quality and function, arguing that more durable and better-sounding products are available for the same price.[66][67] Beats' consumer-focused language and lack of technical terms has been called "puffery", buzzwords, and marketing hype by audiophiles.[68] Unlike some other audio companies, Beats does not state technical specifications for their headphones (such as frequency response, driver diameter, max input power, sensitivity, and impedance)."

3-Diamonds: This is actually the best example for the power of marketing.. Diamonds until today are considered a premium precious metal.. Lots of people buy it as engagement rings and other people invest in them.. They're one of the WORST investments that you can ever make.. So why do people really buy them? The answer is in one company's marketing campaign.. De Beers Diamond Company .. Google the following "diamonds and why they're not a good investment".. and you'll see lots of websites that explain it..

Its best explained in the following huffington post article: 7 Reasons Why Diamonds Are a Waste of Your Money

All of these are examples for products that are thought to be excellent, yet they're overpriced and a big waste of your money.. and not the best option you should put your money in.. I could go on about Samsung and their Pre-S6 ugly plastic phones Vs the Superior HTC one M7 & M8.. and how much each device sold.. I could go on about many other examples.. But you get the idea..

"If advertisers spent the same amount of money on improving their products as they do on advertising then they wouldn't have to advertise them"... - Will Rogers

Yes it was a good read and I get your point, but this all predicates that the Priv is the best Android phone on the market and just doesn't have the marketing behind it. I'm sorry, but it isn't. Its a good Android phone but no where near being the best Android phone that just isn't being marketed. It does a lot of things well but there isn't one feature on the Priv that you can say is superior to any Android phone currently on the market. Its single distinguishable feature is its keyboard, which is a hollow representation of Blackberry keyboards of the past.

And it seems to me that Will Rogers quote doesn't belong here. If Blackberry is already making the best phones then by going by that quote they wouldn't need to market them, they would sell without it because of their superiority.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-19-16 06:07 AM

Starbucks

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    06-19-16 07:52 AM
    Yes it was a good read and I get your point, but this all predicates that the Priv is the best Android phone on the market and just doesn't have the marketing behind it. I'm sorry, but it isn't. Its a good Android phone but no where near being the best Android phone that just isn't being marketed. It does a lot of things well but there isn't one feature on the Priv that you can say is superior to any Android phone currently on the market. Its single distinguishable feature is its keyboard, which is a hollow representation of Blackberry keyboards of the past.

And it seems to me that Will Rogers quote doesn't belong here. If Blackberry is already making the best phones then by going by that quote they wouldn't need to market them, they would sell without it because of their superiority.
    I was talking generally.. In my reply to OTCH's post.. I didn't mean that the Priv is the best one out there by my post.. I was discussing the idea that people don't know about BlackBerry and if they have done some research they would've bumped into it.

You quoted a part of my post that doesn't include the Priv or BlackBerry.. You asked for a few examples.. so I discussed the topic generally (That the best products are not the best marketed).

The will rogers quote was in reference to the examples I mentioned in the post, not BlackBerry.. If companies like Grey goose and Beats spent their marketing money on their products, it may have been a very good product.. The thing with marketing and big companies, is that they make us pay for their marketing.. by bumping up the price of the product.. Which doesn't make any sense.. Why would I pay for your stupid marketing.. Invest the money on the product and I'll pay for it.. That's what a company like OnePlus does..They do social media marketing and They don't really invest in traditional marketing and that's why they're able to bring out an excellent cheap product like the OnePlus 3.

My Point is.. its good to know about all things before buying something.. You'll end making the right decision.. The Priv is not the best out there.. but the best out there is not what people think it is.. and its definitely not the one selling the most..
    Last edited by Sairos; 06-19-16 at 10:50 AM.
    06-19-16 10:30 AM
    I would imagine that many examples of the opposite could be found as well--the most popular item has great quality.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-16 01:07 PM
    I would imagine that many examples of the opposite could be found as well--the most popular item has great quality.

Posted via CB10
    Yes I agree.. I said earlier usually the best products are not the best marketed.. There are some products out there that are great and also heavily marketed.. I can't fault them for marketing.. Ex. Mercedes, BMW and so on.. But when they're crap and they spend tons on marketing then we can talk..
    06-19-16 01:22 PM

Titos is awesome!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-19-16 04:35 PM
    Still no videos of this Commercial?
    06-19-16 06:12 PM
    Santa Margherita is also over-priced but quite tasty!

Posted via CB10
    06-19-16 06:40 PM
    Seen that too. But no passport really BlackBerry!?!

No Shade Just Light!!! Z30 10.3.2.2639
    06-19-16 07:34 PM
    [The Passport]... I have never seen one
    Posted via CB10
    May I ask, whereabouts in the world are you based? I see (original) Passports most weeks when I am in the City of London (this is London's financial district where the Stock Exchange & major banks & law firms are located).

Note: have only ever seen a couple of Passport SE's in the wild, though I know that a client's colleagues have them (Dubai/Jordan - I have never met these colleagues, the client tells me about them every time he sees my Passport).
    06-19-16 07:59 PM

I took it as an example of how Samsung isn't the best yet sells like no other device simply because of marketing and hype. Not because it's the best quality as with beats, diamonds, etc that was mentioned.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Sairos likes this.
    06-19-16 08:24 PM
    Did anyone record the game? Capture the add and post it
    06-19-16 09:42 PM
    Ouch... they're not featuring this on YouTube...? =:-$

(edit: missed opportunity again? )

�   There's a Crack in the Berry right now...   �
    06-19-16 11:01 PM
    Android? It would have failed. The OS on it is what makes it great. It's a great marriage between Hardware and Software.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    06-21-16 08:29 AM
    The Priv didn't fail because it wasn't well-marketed. Marketing was only one small factor.

The primary reason why the Priv failed, was because it was a poor device for its price point.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 08:42 AM
    I don't believe the OP. I think he had a seizure or something and was dreaming.

If the ad were real, maybe Chen has admitted he was wrong the Internet ads are the "best bang for the buck" as he said during a shareholder Q and A. They also advertise for the Priv on one of the Sunday talk shows.

It's almost hilarious that they are doing this now on the eve of cutting hardware. NOW you start raising awareness for the Passport? Two years after release? Why not do this a year ago?

Posted via CB10
    06-21-16 10:57 AM
    Android? It would have failed. The OS on it is what makes it great. It's a great marriage between Hardware and Software.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    Hahah.. I had a laugh there mate.. "Would've failed".. How so please.. The Passport would've sold much more if it was Android.. I'm all for BlackBerry and its BB10 But realism is good.. Would you prefer they release BB10 phones just to keep us happy while losing money.. or would you like them to be profitable in hardware and continue to survive in such a difficult market..

If they are selling phones and all is well.. They will be able to keep BB10 alive or even release a new BB10 phone for the fans, who knows.. If they're losing money.. You end up losing on both sides.. No BlackBerry devices (Android or BB10).. Actually no more BlackBerry like you know it.. The only way for this bloody company to survive is by becoming successful in Android devices.. And any android device they make will end up selling more than a BB10 device.
    06-21-16 12:33 PM
    Actually, a new BlackBerry pop-up store has arrived in New York—across from the stock exchange, & it is selling BB10 & Android-based Blackberry phones with docks & cases. BB10 is still viable & the Priv's keyboard deserves much more credit than "a hollow" mention. Actually, the Priv was hyped so far before its launch that rival brands were pushing the envelope of what they could design in order to take away from its notoriety & success. The camera's megapixel specs were a far cry from any previous Android, yet suddenly a 21 MP camera was featured in a phone that appeared just around the launch of its 18 MP. No other Android has been as regularly updated, privacy-conscious, or secure. The Priv has been the first to defeat the latter iterations of the Stagefright vulnerabilities & is one of the few to successfully & stably run Marshmallow—that puts it in the top 10%. You're right that marketing through media is only part of the equation because unfair business practices, horrible product display & placement in stores (there have been displays that were not getting electricity, not getting put in demonstration mode, & not being set up), underminding salespeople who have told people that it would be a horrible phone unworthy of a purchase & seek to exchange it for another brand rather than HELP & DO THEIR JOB, & biased IT departments are bigger bites of this unsavory effort to sabotage an excellent brand. BlackBerry rocks, & the others are just glass houses that already have holes—hence why they have been doing so much patch work recently.
    Sigewif likes this.
    06-21-16 05:01 PM
117 1234 ...