I hope this device has a good virtual keyboard. Supposedly the one on the new Torch is bad according to this review.

BlackBerry Torch 9850 review | This is my next...
    08-19-11 02:57 PM
    I'm sure it's coming any day now. Android devices have only been on sale for 3 years. . .these things take time.
    Hey Google has been too busy trying to hide from patent suits.
    08-19-11 02:58 PM
    Oh I agree..it's not going to happen overnight. But it will happen. And while I personally don't have the imagination to envision all the capabilities that would come along with quad core..I'm sure that if there are some amazing apps/programs someone is able to run off them..they wouldn't mind plugging in while doing so.
    You are so sure it is going to happen on phones and yet the evidence on computers where you would expect it to happen more naturally is that very little stuff takes advantage of more than two cores on its own, there will be gains from multitasking taking advantage of more cores, but expecting particular programs to do so seems overly optimistic other than for maybe games.

The real benefit to quad cores is that they will also tend to come with a faster gpu and that is something where there is still plenty of room for growth.

I mean..who carries around laptops without powercords? EVERYONE expects to have to plug their laptop in..it's just become second nature. I see this being no different in the future of cellphones..even with QNX on handhelds.
    The problem is that the public have been conditioned to expect their phone to last all day under normal use and expecting them to use them as standard plugged into the mains rather than doing such a thing to give their battery a top up will take a lot of convincing, especially to a market that has been conditioned to think that a couple of extra mm of thickness on a phone is a bad thing when it is far less bulk than a charger.
    08-19-11 03:00 PM

The problem is that the public have been conditioned to expect their phone to last all day under normal use and expecting them to use them as standard plugged into the mains rather than doing such a thing to give their battery a top up will take a lot of convincing, especially to a market that has been conditioned to think that a couple of extra mm of thickness on a phone is a bad thing when it is far less bulk than a charger.
    I disagree..to me it only seems battery life is a real necessity to people who visit forums..and read that battery life should be a concern. Most people I know ..including friends and family who have any type of smartphone..when I ask them how long the battery lasts they just shrug.

While I agree that most people expect to get thru a day with a charge..despite what haters say..most Androids and iphones do this. Its the people who only expect to charge every 3-4 days that seem to think this is an issue. And judging from the amount of iPhone and Android sales..I'd say most people are comfortable with having to charge a phone periodically.
    08-19-11 05:57 PM
    I disagree..to me it only seems battery life is a real necessity to people who visit forums..and read that battery life should be a concern. Most people I know ..including friends and family who have any type of smartphone..when I ask them how long the battery lasts they just shrug.

While I agree that most people expect to get thru a day with a charge..despite what haters say..most Androids and iphones do this. Its the people who only expect to charge every 3-4 days that seem to think this is an issue. And judging from the amount of iPhone and Android sales..I'd say most people are comfortable with having to charge a phone periodically.
    I think it really depends on WHO you are hanging out with, I can ask at a customers vendor day all the other manufacturers reps, what they care about, and all of them will say, it gets my emails and makes calls and lasts all day, that is what they need, when they get other phones and they don't last all day you hear about it, iPhone 4 has been the first touch screen phone that isn't a BlackBerry that makes it through a full day. though when locked down by IT, they are pretty hated devices.

People who NEED mobile phones vs people who want Mobile phones is the difference, those that just want them can charge all the time, those that NEED them generally are concerned more about Battery life because they can go 12+ hours of heavy use while not being anyplace close to a charger,

the BULK of sales of phones go to people who want them, not need them,
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-19-11 06:48 PM
    If this is true and the specs, are accurate, then say goodbye to Playbook sales. What's the point of carrying a 4.3" device and a 7" device just for "bridging" and access to email. By the time the QNX phone is released, it'll have email, and all of the other RIM PIM goodies. So, why would you need to carry around a playbook at all?

BlackBerry Colt to launch before end of 2011? -- Engadget
    Same answer as always. *Battery*.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-11 06:54 PM
    You are talking to the situation now though, a quadcore and apps that really use them will mandate phones being charged a lot more often and that's when it will start to annoy people who do expect to charge it once a day.
    08-20-11 05:37 AM
    You are talking to the situation now though, a quadcore and apps that really use them will mandate phones being charged a lot more often and that's when it will start to annoy people who do expect to charge it once a day.
    Nah..the Sitch doesn't really know much about phones. I try to keep our talks a little more basic..like about abs and crunches

I guess we can speculate all we want to about quad-core..we'll be finding out soon enough how it does in real world performance (Q1 2012).
    08-20-11 06:57 AM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD