Oh, and the "future" quad-core phones comeing out soon? LOL. Such a gimmick. It'll happen but no average person would be able to notice a difference in experience. Everyone knows its the OS that really matters, unless you like making a mess in your pants running benchmarks on a mobile device. I personally don't care what kind of processor my phone has, as long as it is fast or I see a noticeable difference. A quad-core phone running android 2.3 is still a phone running Android 2.3.
    This.

Sure some new Android phones that come out now have 1GB+ RAM and 1.2 Ghz Dual Core processors. Too bad Apple's iPhone 4 with half the RAM and less than half the CPU power can still run things smoother and more reliably.

Good software makes a much bigger difference than good hardware.
    08-18-11 01:05 PM
    Does anyone think it could be possible that they announce the new QNX phone at DEVCON 2011 in October? Since the rumor might be true about a QNX device coming out Q1??
    08-18-11 01:34 PM
    Edit: Oh, and the "future" quad-core phones comeing out soon? LOL. Such a gimmick. It'll happen but no average person would be able to notice a difference in experience. A quad-core phone running android 2.3 is still a phone running Android 2.3.
    Is that anything like saying that a dual-core phone running QNX is still a phone running QNX? Is that a gimmick?

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    08-18-11 01:45 PM
    so os7 phones will be marketed when the qnx phone comes out as the low-end blackberry
    RIM has already stated that they will release only one QNX phone in Q1 2012. It stands to reason that the easiest phone to get to market would be a full touch device (think 4" PlayBook with phone function). They will obviously still offer physical keyboard phones as that is their bread and butter, so the Bold/Torch/Curve will still be running OS7.
    After that, they will begin to bring QNX to the entire line and obviously start with the Bold a and end with the Curve. This process could take 2-3 years. Well worth it for developers to write apps for OS7.
    08-18-11 05:15 PM
    I'd much rather have RIM wait to release these. I'm happy that they seem to have taken their time in releasing the OS 7 phones as they are very high quality phones and are well-recieved. However, as we've seen with the PlayBook and BB Storm, rushing devices out without rigorous testing is ultimately more harmful to the reputation of the company. Better to wait and release a very high-quality product than rush and have core features missing and buggy software.

I think RIM's focus is too much on competing with the devices popular today. By the time their entry is released, it's already on the verge of being overlooked by consumers looking ahead, as is the case with BB7 and iOS5. When it comes to QNX being released next year, RIM shouldn't focus on beating the devices already on the market but on those it anticipates to be released later.

Really, I don't think there are many who are really calling for it anyway, right now that is. OS 7 is quite good and should keep people satisfied until they have a QNX phone ready (truly ready) to, not only keep current BB users, but also attract those from Android and iOS users. RIM's going to comeback, it's just going to take some time.
    08-18-11 05:40 PM
    In my opinion, RIM had to release the PB this year in order to get into the crowded tab market. If the QNX phones are to come out next year, I don't expect them until the fall. I don't expect them to be on time.
    08-18-11 05:56 PM
    With those specs, seems like I'll be holding onto my Bold 9930 until the second wave of QNX devices in 2012.
    08-18-11 06:05 PM
    With those specs, seems like I'll be holding onto my Bold 9930 until the second wave of QNX devices in 2012.
    I agree. Personally, I want to get my 9900 to pair with my playbook and I'm set for the next year.
    08-18-11 06:12 PM
    This.

Sure some new Android phones that come out now have 1GB+ RAM and 1.2 Ghz Dual Core processors. Too bad Apple's iPhone 4 with half the RAM and less than half the CPU power can still run things smoother and more reliably.

Good software makes a much bigger difference than good hardware.
    That's called a GPU. It helps give the appearance that everything is running smooth.

Believe me..when apps get developed for quad core devices..it'll be something people notice.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-18-11 08:49 PM
    Does anyone think it could be possible that they announce the new QNX phone at DEVCON 2011 in October? Since the rumor might be true about a QNX device coming out Q1??
    They don't have the same need to get 3rd party developers working on a new platform so I would expect zero hw announcements from there this time round, hopefully they will use it for launching any playbook stuff that is still overdue by that point.
    08-19-11 04:45 AM
    That's called a GPU. It helps give the appearance that everything is running smooth.

Believe me..when apps get developed for quad core devices..it'll be something people notice.
    How long will that actually take to happen though, how long have home computers had quad core and look at how few of those actually really benefit from that setup, not to mention the obvious point that anything that actually taxes a quad core phone would also tend to chew through the battery in no time at all.
    08-19-11 04:47 AM
    RIM has already stated that they will release only one QNX phone in Q1 2012. It stands to reason that the easiest phone to get to market would be a full touch device (think 4" PlayBook with phone function). They will obviously still offer physical keyboard phones as that is their bread and butter, so the Bold/Torch/Curve will still be running OS7.
    I think that to give a suitable distinction between the os7 and qnx devices, that first qnx phone is actually going to be in the 4.3-4.5" range for screensize especially when you consider that by q1 2012 there will be screens offering 1280x720 in that size which would again simplify the job of moving the pb ui onto a phone.
    08-19-11 04:51 AM
    How long will that actually take to happen though, how long have home computers had quad core and look at how few of those actually really benefit from that setup, not to mention the obvious point that anything that actually taxes a quad core phone would also tend to chew through the battery in no time at all.
    Oh I agree..it's not going to happen overnight. But it will happen. And while I personally don't have the imagination to envision all the capabilities that would come along with quad core..I'm sure that if there are some amazing apps/programs someone is able to run off them..they wouldn't mind plugging in while doing so.

I mean..who carries around laptops without powercords? EVERYONE expects to have to plug their laptop in..it's just become second nature. I see this being no different in the future of cellphones..even with QNX on handhelds.
    08-19-11 06:41 AM
    Is that anything like saying that a dual-core phone running QNX is still a phone running QNX? Is that a gimmick?

Yes, Verizon 4G is really that fast!
    That's because QNX was designed to run on multiple cores and android wasn't. Who knows, maybe Google is making use of both cores effectively in the software. However, QNX was being used in multi-core platforms for ages, and it makes sense that it would be more efficient with multiple cores.

I don't know the details of RIM's QNX OS to know exactly how much the dual-core helps, but we can all safely say that it multasks very well. So much so that I leave my PB in showcase mode 100% of the time.

In summary, yes, I'm saying RIM's tablet OS is better than Android for multiple cores, and I think its difficult to argue otherwise.
    08-19-11 06:50 AM

Android phones dont have GPUs?

And yeah, people will notice it for a few minutes, until it force-quits or their battery runs out.

Software > Hardware
    08-19-11 08:49 AM
    I mean..who carries around laptops without powercords? EVERYONE expects to have to plug their laptop in..it's just become second nature. I see this being no different in the future of cellphones..even with QNX on handhelds.
    I have to disagree with you here. If I have to plug in my cellphone as much as my laptop, why wouldn't I just carry around a laptop??
    08-19-11 08:59 AM
    Android phones dont have GPUs?

And yeah, people will notice it for a few minutes, until it force-quits or their battery runs out.

Software > Hardware
    Actually..no..all Androids dont have GPU's. The Galaxy S was one of the first ones to incorporate one (to the best of my knowledge). I'd say more of them have it now..but I don't think true GPU accelleration has been incorporated into the software until Gingerbread (2.3)..which most androids aren't running yet.

I do agree though..Good software > Good hardware. But good software on bad hardware is still bad all around.
    08-19-11 09:06 AM
    I have to disagree with you here. If I have to plug in my cellphone as much as my laptop, why wouldn't I just carry around a laptop??
    Laptops still aren't as portable as cellphones. I can fit my Atrix easily in my pocket..and then via HDMI..plug it into any suitable tv and have a laptop (minus the cd/dvd drive)..with my screen acting as both mousepad and keyboard.
    08-19-11 09:10 AM
    I think they have to wait till Q1 next year and they have to release more than one phone. This still depends on how well the OS 7 devices sale here in the us. Though I do personally know a few people who work at carriers store in high traffic areas who won't reccomend the OS7 devices as they don't want to give anyone an unsupported phone.

They have to release at least two QNX devices when they come.If they don't they fall into the Webos trap of having one phone in a market filled by many others. Even apple doesn't work like this. They usually have two phones in at one time and rumor is they are going the three phone format with the 5 being high end, the 4 becoming mid range and a low end cloud phone.
    08-19-11 09:24 AM
    Don't kid yourself, if RIM can push out a QNX phone this year, they will.

OS7 was a patch job all about keeping their current customers, QNX is about regaining their lost market share and excitement. They won't hold off just because OS7 was just released recently.

In the end OS7 will still be powering phones for at least a year as low end or physical keyboard phones until QNX is ready to be on more than just touchscreens.

with that said they may be trying to get it out before year end, but it is highly unlikely they will suceed. It would be best for RIM though if they can get this accomplished as soon as possible, yesterday even.
    08-19-11 10:22 AM
    I wish its true, and I don't. While I would love a device of that size running QNX, a baby Playbook with Phone, I wish it would have duo core, and not so rushed.
    08-19-11 10:28 AM
    Actually..no..all Androids dont have GPU's. The Galaxy S was one of the first ones to incorporate one (to the best of my knowledge). I'd say more of them have it now..but I don't think true GPU accelleration has been incorporated into the software until Gingerbread (2.3)..which most androids aren't running yet.

I do agree though..Good software > Good hardware. But good software on bad hardware is still bad all around.
    Actually basically every Android phone has a GPU. I don't know of one that doesn't. Every snapdragon device has a GPU. Every OMAP device has a GPU.
    Rickroller likes this.
    08-19-11 10:30 AM
    Actually basically every Android phone has a GPU. I don't know of one that doesn't. Every snapdragon device has a GPU. Every OMAP device has a GPU.
    Thanks for the clarification. From what I've read then (from an android perspective ) its the software then that's not taking advantage of GPU acceleration (although I could be wrong there too )..at least up until Gingerbread.
    08-19-11 02:30 PM
    Thanks for the clarification. From what I've read then (from an android perspective ) its the software then that's not taking advantage of GPU acceleration (although I could be wrong there too )..at least up until Gingerbread.
    You are correct. The hardware is there, the software was just not making full use of it.
    08-19-11 02:39 PM
    You are correct. The hardware is there, the software was just not making full use of it.
    I'm sure it's coming any day now. Android devices have only been on sale for 3 years. . .these things take time.
    08-19-11 02:52 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD