Another stale rumor, scraped out of the trasheap and peddled as news. The specs are from a N4BB item floated months ago, likely describing a very early prototype that will have little resemblence to the ultimate release. I've read elsewhere that a single core processor, assuming the rumor is based on semblence of the truth, would not be unusual at this stage for a device that is planned as mult-core. There are already a bunch of big 4.3 Droid and WP phones out there, so its not shocking for RIM to be looking at that size for a touchscreen. And 4.3 is not 7, just as 7 is not 10, to state the obvious. Its one thing for Endgadget to report rumors on slow "news" days, but they should have enough restraint to restain themselves from letting the rumor set off a set of cheap-shots, based on the presumption that the rumour is true. Every weed that sprouts up is claimed to be further "proof" that Mike and Jim are dunderheads and that RIM is doomed.
    Nogrentain likes this.
    08-17-11 02:54 PM
    The size was what made even think about a tab.
    Yeah but that's because you didn't have a device that had a 4.3 inch screen. If you already have a full QWERTY blackberry with a 2.5 inch screen then sure 7 inches is a good size for a tablet. But people are talking about those that have smartphones that already have large full touchscreens.
    08-17-11 03:08 PM
    Yeah but that's because you didn't have a device that had a 4.3 inch screen. If you already have a full QWERTY blackberry with a 2.5 inch screen then sure 7 inches is a good size for a tablet. But people are talking about those that have smartphones that already have large full touchscreens.
    You're right I don't have a 4+" screen phone but I've used them and they are still too small for ME for any kind of reading and or surfing. Heck I still use reading glasses when using the playbook LOL. I like the size of the playbook for what I use it for.
    08-17-11 03:16 PM
    If I'm going to carry around a 10" device it would be a netbook that can do anything a computer can but that's what made us all different. The size was what made even think about a tab.
    Have you ever used a netbook? I bought one for the wife for Christmas since she wanted one for portable web surfing while she works. Granted I only spent about $400 on one..but using that thing made me want to gouge my eyes out. The web browsing was so slow on it that it made BB's look like lightning..and the trackpad (which had some pinch to zoom feature) was attrocious. I literally spent 10mins with it and said "Eff it..I can't deal with this or I'm going to break it". Boxing day it went back and I bought her an iPad instead..because all she wanted was portable web surfing.

I'll admit i'm not the most patient man when it comes to slow electronics..and I'm sure some people love their netbooks..but I couldn't ever do one.
    08-17-11 05:35 PM
    RIM has already called this a "Superphone" so how big a joke would it be if it was single core and ran on activesync?

I still don't buy it.
    lnichols likes this.
    08-17-11 06:17 PM
    I've had a netbook for 2 years. I don't use it anymore ever since I got the playbook. It's an asus eeepc 1000he. I'd say it's easily fast enough.

Ok, so there's no point to have a 4.3" phone and a 7" tablet. Right, how about those that have a 2.4" or 2.8" or 3.2" phone? You know, the other 3 lines of phones that RIM has? Or has everyone forgotten that other market where physical keyboards are preferred already? "And 4.3 is not 7, just as 7 is not 10, to state the obvious."

I've spent time with a 4.3" phone. I think I could get by on it often, but I'd still keep my playbook. Gotta love having these different options to pick and choose from, eh?
    08-17-11 06:50 PM
    the year of qnx is 2012 not 2011.it just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint for rim to introduce a new os(qnx) when they introduced os 7 this year.it would be like apple introducing two new iphones in the same calendar year.chances of that are miniscule to none.no need for rim to rush the colt superphone.when you come across something new,you take your time and get it right.
    08-17-11 07:28 PM
    the year of qnx is 2012 not 2011.it just wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint for rim to introduce a new os(qnx) when they introduced os 7 this year.it would be like apple introducing two new iphones in the same calendar year.chances of that are miniscule to none.no need for rim to rush the colt superphone.when you come across something new,you take your time and get it right.
    Not much makes sense with RIM right now though... ; )

That being said I don't think the phone is coming out this year. It would be moronic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-11 07:32 PM
    you guys can keep dreaming

a 2011 launch is not going to happen
    08-17-11 07:47 PM
    I still think they should have held off with the Playbook and instead concentrated on releasing the QNX phone this year.
    08-17-11 07:54 PM
    I still think they should have held off with the Playbook and instead concentrated on releasing the QNX phone this year.
    But it wouldn't have matter. The radio stack is still not done (i.e. no 3G/4G Playbook yet). The java vm is not done (no Blackberry Player yet on the Playbook). The NOC is not capable of moving forward with BBID, instead of PIN.

Doesn't matter whether it's Playbook first or handset first --- those important parts aren't done yet.
    08-17-11 10:58 PM
    you guys can keep dreaming

a 2011 launch is not going to happen
    Given RIM's track record, you're almost certainly right.
    08-18-11 06:43 AM
    RIM has already called this a "Superphone" so how big a joke would it be if it was single core and ran on activesync?

I still don't buy it.
    I'm not surprised. After all, this is the same company that brings you "Superapps".
    08-18-11 06:56 AM
    While I think you have a point - I believe RIM would have effectively signed their own tablet death warrant if they would have delayed the PB into 2012. At that point you would have already been into the 3rd generation ipad and several second generation android tablets.
    08-18-11 07:07 AM
    While I think you have a point - I believe RIM would have effectively signed their own tablet death warrant if they would have delayed the PB into 2012. At that point you would have already been into the 3rd generation ipad and several second generation android tablets.
    What would that have changed? They aren't making massive profits from the tablet market anyway. The majority of their profits come from the sale of smartphones. Not to mention their stock has taken a massive beating in the last 8 months for precisely that reason, not releasing new phones and seeming no longer relevant. They saw the iPad and thought OMG OMG OMG we gotta get on this! Meanwhile, lost site of what was most important.
    The_Engine likes this.
    08-18-11 07:50 AM
    They haven't lost sight of what is important, they have had the playbook almost serving as a development platform that will lead into the qnx phones in a structured way, going from wifi-only to 3g/4g and then you just have the final step of reducing it in size and dealing with a smaller battery.

You can easily make the argument that they haven't been quick enough to push on with the subsequent stages of qnx development and you can say that they had far too many delays with the os7 devices, but the overall plan for the qnx transition is a sound one.
    08-18-11 08:01 AM
    They haven't lost sight of what is important, they have had the playbook almost serving as a development platform that will lead into the qnx phones in a structured way, going from wifi-only to 3g/4g and then you just have the final step of reducing it in size and dealing with a smaller battery.

You can easily make the argument that they haven't been quick enough to push on with the subsequent stages of qnx development and you can say that they had far too many delays with the os7 devices, but the overall plan for the qnx transition is a sound one.
    Even worse, they knew what was important and dragged their feet? Kinda reminds me of a kid in highschool who slacked off all year and now that it's time for finals, he's cramming so he doesn't flunk out while everyone else moves on to college.
    08-18-11 08:22 AM
    What would that have changed? They aren't making massive profits from the tablet market anyway. The majority of their profits come from the sale of smartphones. Not to mention their stock has taken a massive beating in the last 8 months for precisely that reason, not releasing new phones and seeming no longer relevant. They saw the iPad and thought OMG OMG OMG we gotta get on this! Meanwhile, lost site of what was most important.
    I think you are right in that they tried to get the tablet out but not releasing a tablet into 2012 would have caused many people who were wanting a tablet to go elsewhere. I can honestly say that if RIM still didnt have a tablet out by now I would have purchased something else for my needs (and Im definitely a BB fan boy). While sales for the PB are minimal now - I think they would have been even less if they would have waited.

IMO they were right to get the PB out with QNX especially with the release of the OS 7 devices to hold people over for a year or 2.
    08-18-11 08:52 AM
    RIM coming out with QNX in 2012: "Wow RIM is so dumb, they can't wait that long to release their new phones, they're going to become irrelevant"

RIM coming out with QNX in 2011: "Wow RIM is so dumb, they can't rush their phones out like that, it's not going to be finished"

Give them a break. They will release it when it's ready. If they think it's ready in 2011, then so be it. I personally think the first QNX phone won't be released until late Q1 '12
    sf49ers and chiefbroski like this.
    08-18-11 08:58 AM
    To the OP: There is NO way RIM is releasing this thing before March 2012. I'd say expect it in the fall of 2012. Let's get real people, the new phones are JUST getting released now. Are they going to screw over their BB7 touchscreen product line just to rush a phone to market?

Edit: Oh, and the "future" quad-core phones comeing out soon? LOL. Such a gimmick. It'll happen but no average person would be able to notice a difference in experience. Everyone knows its the OS that really matters, unless you like making a mess in your pants running benchmarks on a mobile device. I personally don't care what kind of processor my phone has, as long as it is fast or I see a noticeable difference. A quad-core phone running android 2.3 is still a phone running Android 2.3.
    Last edited by chiefbroski; 08-18-11 at 11:05 AM.
    01itr likes this.
    08-18-11 10:56 AM
    why would RIM contemplate releasing a phone so soon after releasing a several new phones and a new OS ! This news will effect either blackberry 7 sales or qnx sales as people will not buy another phone so soon after buying a new phone
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-18-11 11:07 AM
    It seems a lot of people are under the impression that when the first QNX phone is released, production of all OS7 phones will come to a screeching halt.
    This is simply not true. OS7 phones will sell along side the new QNX "super phone". I imagine it will be a few years before the Curve line makes the switch from OS7 to QNX.
    grover5 likes this.
    08-18-11 12:06 PM
    It seems a lot of people are under the impression that when the first QNX phone is released, production of all OS7 phones will come to a screeching halt.
    This is simply not true. OS7 phones will sell along side the new QNX "super phone". I imagine it will be a few years before the Curve line makes the switch from OS7 to QNX.
    so os7 phones will be marketed when the qnx phone comes out as the low-end blackberry
    08-18-11 12:18 PM
    Doesn't anyone find the timing of this "Rumor" suspicious. It dropped at the exact time that the BB7 devices were being released by carriers. So a consumer looking at BB& info will run into this and say "Maybe I should wait..." And yes, it is not news. This rumor came up weeks ago but did not go viral until now. It's social engineering to affect the BB7 launch.

And as far as strategies go, RIM's blunder was in even showing the Playbook to the world before BB7. They needed to roll out BB7 devices Q4, 2010 or Q1, 2011. Then they should have hinted at the Playbook at BBW in 2011 and revealed it at Dev Con 2011. It should not have launched until it had full PIM, BES/BIS support.
    Jake Storm and Blacklatino like this.
    08-18-11 12:19 PM
    i think the playbooks announcement date was good but not the length of time it took them to release and still no PIM !
    08-18-11 12:34 PM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD