If this is true and the specs, are accurate, then say goodbye to Playbook sales. What's the point of carrying a 4.3" device and a 7" device just for "bridging" and access to email. By the time the QNX phone is released, it'll have email, and all of the other RIM PIM goodies. So, why would you need to carry around a playbook at all?

BlackBerry Colt to launch before end of 2011? -- Engadget
    08-17-11 09:30 AM
    Same reason ppl have iphones, ipads and ipods
    08-17-11 10:06 AM
    No it's okay, I got it:

The BlackBerry Colt -- RIM's presciently named round three handset entry, or last grasp at smartphone dominance? You'll have to wait until the end of the year to decide, as this latest bout of insider hearsay points to a sooner-than-expected launch. Citing several trusted industry sources, Dutch website Tweakers.net reports that the Canadian electronics company is rushing its first QNX-based smartphone out to the mobile market ahead of its previously rumored 2012 Q1 launch. The phone, purported to lack BES, is said to pack a 4.3-inch display and a single-core (yes, you haven't misread that) 1.2GHz Qualcomm MSM8255 processor. We can understand if you're already underwhelmed. Releasing a single core device into an impending quad-core wireless world is one sure way for the company to castrate its young mobile buck. Still, with gossip being what it is, we'd advise you to take this news with a heavy lick of salt. You never know, those co-chairs up in Waterloo could still surprise us yet.
    08-17-11 10:15 AM
    No way I will carry a phone that big in my pocket. I'll stick with a traditional Blackberry with a keyboard and enhance the experience with my Playbook. Exactly what I'm doing now.

In regards to the specs, I wish RIM would just release a maxed out spec'd phone with quad core, big display, and all the bells and whistles to compete in that market of phones. It's not what I'm looking for, but obviously there is a market out there for it, and it would bring cred back to RIM in the North American market.
    csmith954 and Zizzzzy like this.
    08-17-11 10:29 AM
    So RIM said it ain't coming out until Q1 2012 (I believe at the shareholders meeting). When has RIM (or any technology company for that matter) released anything ahead of schedule?
    08-17-11 10:36 AM
    Hmm. RIM said QNX requires dual core processing. I wonder how this device will run with one core when they specifically said their QNX OS is meant for dual. Hopefully well or I can see this device being EOLed real fast and being replaced by dual core versions only a few months later.

Also I can see this hurting OS7 device sales. At least a few of them.
    08-17-11 10:38 AM
    No way I will carry a phone that big in my pocket. I'll stick with a traditional Blackberry with a keyboard and enhance the experience with my Playbook. Exactly what I'm doing now.
    Ya, I don't blame you I wouldn't carry a phone that big either. However people may find that a phone that big will replace the dual devices (BB & Playbook) and potential hurt sales of the Playbook...
    08-17-11 10:40 AM
    I know these are rumors, however, a lot of rumors that have come out have been true and as of the past year, the rumors have been negative. Sometimes it's hard to really think that RIM will pull themselves out of this hole.
    08-17-11 10:50 AM
    When you have older eyes even a 5" phone isn't big enough for some things. I also don't want a phone that big. Whats next we'll be walking around with them on our shoulder like a boombox?
    08-17-11 10:59 AM
    Ya, I don't blame you I wouldn't carry a phone that big either. However people may find that a phone that big will replace the dual devices (BB & Playbook) and potential hurt sales of the Playbook...
    Why single out the playbook? I think that would go for any 7" tab. Do huge android phone owners own any tab and use them? I think the ratio would be about the same.
    01itr likes this.
    08-17-11 11:04 AM
    Why single out the playbook? I think that would go for any 7" tab. Do huge android phone owners own any tab and use them? I think the ratio would be about the same.
    Most of the Android Central guys with tablets have phones the size of the Evo and higher.
    08-17-11 11:21 AM
    Hmm. RIM said QNX requires dual core processing. I wonder how this device will run with one core when they specifically said their QNX OS is meant for dual. Hopefully well or I can see this device being EOLed real fast and being replaced by dual core versions only a few months later.

Also I can see this hurting OS7 device sales. At least a few of them.
    Did they say specifically QNX, or did they say TabletOS? I though I remember the latter. QNX will run on many old single core ARM processors.
    08-17-11 11:32 AM
    I personally don't. I bought a XOOM a few months back..and returned it the next day. Not because there was anything wrong or lacking on it..but simply because it offered me nothing that my 4" phone didn't..other than a larger viewing screen. But at least with mine I can HDMI output to any capable tv and have an almost fully functional laptop (thanks to webtop)

I love having an all in one device. My wife carries around her iphone4, ipad2, and Kindle. I can do all that in one. Although I will say my next phone will be at least a 4.3"..simply to expand on the "all in one" philosophy.
    08-17-11 11:35 AM
    Did they say specifically QNX, or did they say TabletOS? I though I remember the latter. QNX will run on many old single core ARM processors.
    They said their version of the OS needs dual core because their OS requires multicore operation. They even said that dual core wasn't ready for smartphones yet due to efficiency and once that happened there will be a QNX berry. They said this about a year ago. Pretty sure Mike L was the one to say it.

I know QNX can run on single core ARM processors. But that is QNX in general. Not RIMs OS for their devices.
    08-17-11 11:38 AM
    They Said QNX BB os in general needed dual core and thats why no phones are out. That in its self was BS just more proof that Rim didn't have the QNX implementation right. As soon as they announce it needs Dual core and there is no way to do make a dual core phone before the end of the year while 3-4 dual core android phones had been announced for early summer release.

I still think that releasing a QNX tablet before a phone was a bad idea no matter how good it is. ios, android, and web os started off in phone form tablets so when people go to get a tablet they will get shown one of those three leaving rim without a potential customer for a year or two.
    avt123 likes this.
    08-17-11 11:43 AM
    He didn't single out the PlayBook. He clearly mentioned Android users and tablets for them within the same quote.

This CAN hurt tablet sales. If the device is running potentially the same OS as tablet OS, packed into a screen which is less that 3 inches smaller, this can take away potential sales from their tablet. I know plenty of people who were thinking about getting a new smartphone and tablet combo, and then just went out and bought a Droid X2 or a Sensation because the screen is already big and they wouldn't have to purchase a tablet. I'm sure this wont be the case for everyone, but it is a possibility. IMO RIM needs to get the 10 inch model out as another option.

Personally, I would rather have a larger phone than carry around both devices. Especially if they are basically capable of the same things.
    Last edited by avt123; 08-17-11 at 11:46 AM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-17-11 11:43 AM
    I personally don't. I bought a XOOM a few months back..and returned it the next day. Not because there was anything wrong or lacking on it..but simply because it offered me nothing that my 4" phone didn't..other than a larger viewing screen. But at least with mine I can HDMI output to any capable tv and have an almost fully functional laptop (thanks to webtop)

I love having an all in one device. My wife carries around her iphone4, ipad2, and Kindle. I can do all that in one. Although I will say my next phone will be at least a 4.3"..simply to expand on the "all in one" philosophy.
    Just curious... why an iPad 2 AND a Kindle?

I used to be one of those folks who squawked at anything bigger than a 4" phone. The truth is, 4.3" really seems to be the sweet spot, and HTC is actually putting out some 4.5" phones soon. It's all about the all-in-one form factor, and 4.3" really seems to be the ideal.

As for tablets... I don't get the 7" size of the PlayBook. I've held one and used one. It's a tweener to me, almost like they just wanted to make a tablet to make a tablet, and decided that 7" was different than what was already out there. The iPad is really the ideal size for a tablet. It is basically the size of a magazine, and, thus, it is small enough to carry around, yet big enough to comfortably read books, magazines, and news, and also comfortably surf the web, check e-mail, and do other tasks.
    08-17-11 11:52 AM
    Just curious... why an iPad 2 AND a Kindle?
    Meh..who knows with women

I know she likes the fact that with the Kindle..she can read it fine outdoors or on beaches without any backlighting or reflection glare. Personally..I use the Kobo ereader app and just set it to black background/white text..and don't have any issues. I've read 800+ page novels on my 4" screen and actually enjoy it..simply because I can pull it out of my pocket anywhere I am and get some reading in.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 08-17-11 at 12:12 PM.
    08-17-11 12:06 PM
    I'm sorry, but all this rigamorooooo (who knows) on top of being underwhelmed by waiting for the Gretzky, combined with the cost of the Gretzky.....I think I will be running my 9650 for as long as I can......
    08-17-11 12:06 PM
    I'm pretty happy that they decided to release an all touch device first. If this was a QWERTY keyboard device I would be pissed since i nust ordered my BlackBerry Bold 9900!!!!!
    08-17-11 12:57 PM
    such a small article giving such huge news. but like everything never trust ot until its said by rim
    08-17-11 01:33 PM
    He didn't single out the PlayBook. He clearly mentioned Android users and tablets for them within the same quote.

This CAN hurt tablet sales. If the device is running potentially the same OS as tablet OS, packed into a screen which is less that 3 inches smaller, this can take away potential sales from their tablet. I know plenty of people who were thinking about getting a new smartphone and tablet combo, and then just went out and bought a Droid X2 or a Sensation because the screen is already big and they wouldn't have to purchase a tablet. I'm sure this wont be the case for everyone, but it is a possibility. IMO RIM needs to get the 10 inch model out as another option.

Personally, I would rather have a larger phone than carry around both devices. Especially if they are basically capable of the same things.

Exactly. There will be many people that don't mind carrying both. But there are a lot of people not willing to do so if the experience is the same with a small difference in screen size. This is why I am not a fan of 7 inch tablets that run the same OS as a smartphone. To me, there's really not enough of a benefit to justify the 2 devices. Now if someone wants a 10 inch then I could understand, but even in my opinion if the OS is the same I wouldn't want both of the devices. And with overall tablets sales (besides the iPad) being sketchy, manufacturers need to make sure they clearly differentiate their tablets from their phones. Personally, I think the best combo is a phone from one company and a tablet by someone else. That way you get the best of what each has to offer and don't feel like you just have a bigger version of your phone. That's just my thoughts.
    08-17-11 01:38 PM
    If I'm going to carry around a 10" device it would be a netbook that can do anything a computer can but that's what makes us all different. The size was what made even think about a tab.
    08-17-11 01:46 PM
    I have an HtC HD2 which has a 4.3 screen the phone is too big really but the virtual keyboard needs (in my opinion) to be this kind of size, Hopefully RIMM will be able to have a QNX phone with physical keyboard meaning a smaller form is possible. But the Bold 9900 is virtually the same size as my HD2 same width a few mm shorter that's all, it just has a permanent keyboard. I'm in the process of down sizing as I don't like the size either, to the torch slider, now that might be an answer. I'm sure those of you who knows these things will advise if possible
    08-17-11 02:13 PM
    It would be difficult to hurt 7-inch tablet sales, as none of them are really selling. You can't fall off the floor.
    08-17-11 02:26 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD