They need to sell off all of their manufacturing capacity, and move to the Apple of model of design a great device, and let someone else make it. Apple doesn't make most of the products they sell, they design them and have someone else make them and slap their logo on it.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed

Loving my Zed 10!!
    04-09-14 11:16 PM
    Not surprising. I still think its the best option. Let someone else deal with that like foxconn and become a software and services company.
    Based on smartphone sales BlackBerry would revert to BES 5 and BBOS 7 while ending support and development of BlackBerry OS 10 and BES 10/12.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-09-14 11:48 PM
    You don't launch a new product, say we might get out of selling that product in the future and expect sales.
    Classic BlackBerry management foot-in-mouth.

Posted via CB10 on BlackBerry Q5
    04-09-14 11:50 PM
    They need to sell off all of their manufacturing capacity
    BB has never had "manufacturing capacity." BB phones have always been made by outside manufacturers. BBOS phones made by Wistron, BB10 phones made by Jabil Circuit and now Foxconn, and the Playbook by Quanta Computer. There's nothing to sell.

BB formerly did all the design work for the phones in-house, but most of those people have been let go already. I'm sure a core group still exists to provide direction and feedback to Foxconn, but it's not like it once was, where BB handled nearly all of the design work.
    04-09-14 11:51 PM
    OK, I watched the full video interview. Crackberry and Reuters got this wrong. He never said this. He said.....he has to make handsets work and that he is fixated on this. He also said if he can't get them profitable, he will do what it takes to make it so. That may mean finding partnerships to produce BlackBerry devices. Only if he can't get it going.

Blame Crackberry for the confusion . The Sam guy who wrote this is wrong. He obviously just copied Reuters article who got it wrong in the first place.

Powered by BlackBerry
    04-09-14 11:56 PM
    Is this the interview that everyone is talking about?:
    BlackBerry CEO says his handsets will make money by next year | Video | Reuters.com

If it is, then there sure is some misinterpretation and quoting out of context going around on the web.
    xBURK likes this.
    04-10-14 12:30 AM
    BlackBerry CEO says his handsets will make money by next year | Video | Reuters.com

If it is, then there sure is some misinterpretation and quoting out of context going around on the web.

Probably they talked with Chen before recording the video. There are other things in the article that doesn't appear in the video, for example:

John Chen said in an interview, adding that the time frame for such a decision was short

He would not be more specific, but said it should be possible to make money off shipments of as few as 10 million a year.

"We are not going to go up against Whatsapp. We are going to be more focused on secure communications, secure messaging," he said of BlackBerry's BBM platform.

"We are not going to spend any more money to maintain the latest version of Angry Birds," Chen said, referring to a wildly popular consumer mobile videogame.
    04-10-14 12:46 AM
    Lol. I had to laugh a bit when I read the part about QNX being used in coal mines.

Well there's an uplifting angle for consumer ads. Who doesn't want their phone powered by the same tech that powers coal mines?

(sorry. Just find bit a bit funny).

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    eldricho and geekl33tgamer like this.
    04-10-14 01:29 AM

Everybody watch the video first! The articles are completely misinterpreting and rubbish.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 05:27 AM
    Why are so many surprised that their might be a BlackBerry without BlackBerry devices?

You guys have been paying attention over the last year.... right?

BBOS device sales have fallen by 75% and are still falling.

BB10 sales have been a huge disappointment!

Hardware business is burning the majority of their remaining CASH!

They have talked about licensing BB10 for over a year... But they have proven it is a platform that doesn't sell, and still some of you think their is an OEM out their that might want to pay BlackBerry to license it? You did see that MS is trying to give WP8 away?

And just because there is a "roadmap" with several other devices.... that doesn't mean that Chen could switch directions at ANY time.... If the Z3 flops, what would be the point of continuing? Remember Chen isn't waiting Months to see some quarterly report, and he know things that we don't, like the number of "subscriber" or active device Pins.

Posted via CB10
    Shlooky, techvisor and propeller10 like this.
    04-10-14 06:02 AM
    BB has never had "manufacturing capacity." BB phones have always been made by outside manufacturers.
    They actually did have a manufacturing line in Waterloo area. The bulk, particularly during the peak, came from outside. But they had their own capacity as well.

Manufacturing: Make or break? - The Globe and Mail
    04-10-14 06:09 AM
    BB has never had "manufacturing capacity." BB phones have always been made by outside manufacturers. BBOS phones made by Wistron, BB10 phones made by Jabil Circuit and now Foxconn, and the Playbook by Quanta Computer. There's nothing to sell.

BB formerly did all the design work for the phones in-house, but most of those people have been let go already. I'm sure a core group still exists to provide direction and feedback to Foxconn, but it's not like it once was, where BB handled nearly all of the design work.
    They built a plant in Malaysia in 2011/2012. http://crackberry.com/blackberry-sma...-made-malaysia

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:05 AM
    They built a plant in Malaysia in 2011/2012. BlackBerry smartphones now being made in Malaysia | CrackBerry.com
    That plant wasn't owned by BB. That's like Apple announcing a new iPhone factory in China - it's really a Foxconn factory where iPhones are made.
    04-10-14 10:09 AM
    Despite Chen's clarification on what he said, and yes I agree it was reported out of context, it's no less damaging to a company trying to move on. The share price of BBRY slid even lower these past 24 hours.
    04-10-14 11:31 AM

This. And I think that this is an important point that a lot of people are missing.
    04-10-14 12:40 PM
    Despite Chen's clarification on what he said, and yes I agree it was reported out of context, it's no less damaging to a company trying to move on. The share price of BBRY slid even lower these past 24 hours.
    I'd be more worried about the decision makers that used this as the "last straw" and they have wrote BlackBerry off and are moving to other devices and platforms. Right now losing the sale of one devices hurts, losing a whole company worth of devices can be fatal.

The share price will bounce around for all sorts of reasons when a company is this close to closing it's doors.
    04-10-14 03:20 PM
    When the hell is the Z3 supposedly launching? I've heard April, May, does anyone know exactly when it's supposed to be released?
    Chen said "in April" at MWC a few weeks ago. I guess he should know...
    04-10-14 04:19 PM
    Does anyone remember the FIVE YEAR contract with Foxconn? Just saying.