Is your ego really that sensitive?

People on Crackberry have egos???
    02-03-14 09:32 PM
    When people like John Sculley are quoted as saying that "if anybody has a chance to turnaround BlackBerry, it's John Chen." you have to take him seriously.

Says the guy who kicked out Steve Jobs and then was later kicked out by Apple's board himself.

...while BB Jakarta still 3-4 months away...

Given that the device has already passed Bluetooth certification and possibly others I think you are dead-wrong about that timeframe.

They will probably show it at Mobile World Congress this month.
    02-03-14 09:36 PM
    Word has it they will be show casing a few devices.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    02-03-14 09:41 PM
    Says the guy who kicked out Steve Jobs and then was later kicked out by Apple's board himself.
    Mistakes were made, lessons were learned.
    02-03-14 09:45 PM
    I wonder what their strategy for consumer market is. So far it looks like making BB10 compatible with Android apps and refining it was the strategy all along.

What would happen if Google restricts the play store from non-Android platforms? (Which certainly is possible.)
    My guess is that while BlackBerry has everyone believing they're concentrating on enterprise 80 percent of the time, they're having full out meetings on how to win back their consumer reputation. This is all a diversion so they can buy a bit of time. Once the dust settles and the press has a few months of feel good stories behind them , look out. Yes, this is my guess and more so, a dream. But hey, who knows?

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 10:01 PM
    Android has hit nearly 80% market share. Apple is actually losing. I for one want to have choice. The majority who come in here to bring everyone down clearly don't understand the dangers of what is happening in the market for the consumer. I don't care if people think BlackBerry sucks or has 0 market share in the US or whatever propaganda is being spread. I care about having variety and choice. It's clear the majority don't care or understand the importance of that....and spend their time in here trying to tell everyone else that they should think like them and not actually make decisions using their own preference and brain....rather just do what we all do because what you are doing is stupid and sucks. Being happy with your choice is great, but spending time telling everyone else why their choice is wrong is plain old ridiculous and petty.

Posted via CB10
    Apple's unwillingness to play in the Low-Cost, Super-Low Margin segment of the smartphone market does not make them a loser. Android is growing most sales at the bottom of the barrel, as is Windows Phone 8 as well. Apple simply does not market to those customers.

You will never see a $200 iPhone - except subsidized. You certainly won't see any phone from Apple that competes on price with the likes of the Lumia 52x devices...

Apple's user base has been rock solid. They have not bled customers like RIM/Blackberry, or even gotten to a situation where they had to fear such a thing.

They simply do not play in the segments of the market where most GROWTH is, which is why you see competitors like Android and Windows Phone growing a lot faster than iOS at this point.

They aren't losing anything. Have you seen their mobile profits? Apple is a business. They make more money than all their competitors in Mobile. The reason why the rest are rushing to the bottom of the barrel to fight for those users is because a couple of companies (like Apple and Samsung) have pretty much run the tables on them in the high-end, affluent smartphone consumer market.

Apple has 50% market share in the US, where people are often willing to line up at stores year after year to pay out of pocket for their devices. Didn't they just have record iPhone shipments and profits last quarter? How are they losing?
    02-03-14 10:27 PM

Given that the device has already passed Bluetooth certification and possibly others I think you are dead-wrong about that timeframe.

they could show it on MWC but it doesnt mean they can launch the phone right away....

when BB announce they will be make BB Jakarta, if im not wrong it will launch on april / may another 3-4 months away
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-14 01:57 AM
    they could show it on MWC but it doesnt mean they can launch the phone right away....

when BB announce they will be make BB Jakarta, if im not wrong it will launch on april / may another 3-4 months away

If they already have production samples being certified by the various standards groups and agencies, I'd say they could be on the shelves in 1-2 months.

That was about how long before the launch of BlackBerry 10 that we saw those devices passing through certifications. They will not allow you to certify prototypes, they have to be production models.

Also, the Jakarta will be produced in local Indonesian facilities, so you do not have the kind of logistics issues you would have if final assembly were done 8,000 miles away from where the devices were to be sold.

STL100-4 showed up as certified by the FCC on 2013-02-25, device was on shelves on 2013-03-28. (The day I bought mine)

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...up-fcc-775748/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...st-fcc-775795/

According to the following article, the STJ100-1 - most likely the infamous "Jakarta" model - has already been certified by the Indonesian telecom regulatory agency, or at least it's in the final stages:

New Foxconn-made BlackBerry smartphone with OS 10.2 gets certified, could be the Jakarta

Below is the relevant document from the Indonesian authorities. Note that the previously rumored but cancelled "Kopi" device - which was originally to have been below the Q5 - had already been certified in Indonesia before it was cancelled. Also note that the Z30 - which was introduced in Indonesia 2013-11-26, had its certification finalized less than 20 days prior to the release date:

e-POSTEL | Sertifikat Berlaku

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Black...rry-Q5_id47714
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&i..._kopi_sqc100-1
    02-04-14 04:47 AM
    People on Crackberry have egos???
    LOL - definitely some sensitive ones are out there. They tend to like to point out, "I have been saying this" a lot ...
    02-04-14 05:47 AM
    They simply do not play in the segments of the market where most GROWTH is, which is why you see competitors like Android and Windows Phone growing a lot faster than iOS at this point.
    In the case of Windows Phone, it's because the userbase is starting at a much smaller smaller base.

Apple has 50% market share in the US
    It's high, but not 50%. As of the last Comscore, 62.71 million Smartphone users of 152 million in the market are on iPhones. They are actually growing quicker than the other platforms and the biggest individual manufacturer, but lower than Android's 79 million.
    02-04-14 05:51 AM
    If they already have production samples being certified by the various standards groups and agencies, I'd say they could be on the shelves in 1-2 months.

That was about how long before the launch of BlackBerry 10 that we saw those devices passing through certifications. They will not allow you to certify prototypes, they have to be production models.

Also, the Jakarta will be produced in local Indonesian facilities, so you do not have the kind of logistics issues you would have if final assembly were done 8,000 miles away from where the devices were to be sold.

STL100-4 showed up as certified by the FCC on 2013-02-25, device was on shelves on 2013-03-28. (The day I bought mine)

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...up-fcc-775748/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...st-fcc-775795/

According to the following article, the STJ100-1 - most likely the infamous "Jakarta" model - has already been certified by the Indonesian telecom regulatory agency, or at least it's in the final stages:

New Foxconn-made BlackBerry smartphone with OS 10.2 gets certified, could be the Jakarta

Below is the relevant document from the Indonesian authorities. Note that the previously rumored but cancelled "Kopi" device - which was originally to have been below the Q5 - had already been certified in Indonesia before it was cancelled. Also note that the Z30 - which was introduced in Indonesia 2013-11-26, had its certification finalized less than 20 days prior to the release date:

e-POSTEL | Sertifikat Berlaku

BlackBerry Kopi leaks; new model to be priced below BlackBerry Q5
    RIM BlackBerry Kopi SQC100-1 Specs | Technical Datasheet | PDAdb.net
    foxconn still doesnt have factory in indonesia....they are still negotiating with indonesia government...BB jakarta phone will produce in china or another country where foxconn factory already operated

still even if they already get certificate it doesnt mean BB will launch jakarta another 1 or 2 months...apple / samsung device already get certification months before, but it takes time for their phone to launch in indonesia market....there are some "informal" step before BB can launch their phone....

so according to BB official press release Jakarta will be launch around april.

update :
    i've looked the link (postel)... BB Jakarta still on early stage...testing phase, SP3 . you can see the procedure here....the certification take around max 60 days
    Prosedur - Direktorat Jenderal Sumber Daya dan Perangkat Pos dan Informatika Republik Indonesia - Kementerian Komunikasi dan Informatika Republik Indonesia

looks like at least in indonesia, BB Jakarta launch still months away
    Last edited by garnok; 02-04-14 at 06:56 AM.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-14 06:36 AM
    When Chen says he's not leaving the consumer market - in many markets, it's like a guy saying he's not leaving his wife - six months after she's divorced him and moved to a different country with no forwarding address.
    Exactly. He'll say what he needs to say to prevent further bad headlines. Six months later however, the message will be "Due to intensifying competition and low margins in the handset market, we have decided to focus on enterprise software blah blah blah".

Remember when TH said that BB10 was coming to the PB? Or that the company was not for sale? Six months later....

Sent from Galaxy Mega 6.3 using Tapatalk
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-04-14 08:49 AM
    foxconn still doesnt have factory in indonesia....they are still negotiating with indonesia government...BB jakarta phone will produce in china or another country where foxconn factory already operated

Makes sense since the country of origin in the Postel list showed China.

update :
    i've looked the link (postel)... BB Jakarta still on early stage...testing phase, SP3 . you can see the procedure here....the certification take around max 60 days
    Prosedur - Direktorat Jenderal Sumber Daya dan Perangkat Pos dan Informatika Republik Indonesia - Kementerian Komunikasi dan Informatika Republik Indonesia

I noticed that it listed it as "SP3 Balai" and not "Sertifikat Dicetak" - so I assumed that could mean it wasn't fully certified yet (Which is why I hedged by saying "...or at least in the final stages", despite articles on several reputable websites claiming it had already been certified), but since I don't read Indonesian and since their "English" website is still mostly in Indonesian, that's as far as I got. I looked up "Balai" in Indonesian and that didn't help much. (means "hall" or "office" apparently)

Anyway thanks for looking into that in more detail. Perhaps you should let all the sites that published articles saying it was certified already know.
    02-04-14 03:25 PM
    TH also dont hide in his office before BB10 1st quarter....he is very active promote and talking about BB10..
    That's right, instead TH hid in his office for the last financial quarter and a half of his career with BlackBerry when it became clear that his strategy and execution wasn't stemming the flow of money out of the bank account while not enough came back in.

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 / 10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 02-04-14 at 07:49 PM.
    02-04-14 07:37 PM
    Makes sense since the country of origin in the Postel list showed China.

I noticed that it listed it as "SP3 Balai" and not "Sertifikat Dicetak" - so I assumed that could mean it wasn't fully certified yet (Which is why I hedged by saying "...or at least in the final stages", despite articles on several reputable websites claiming it had already been certified), but since I don't read Indonesian and since their "English" website is still mostly in Indonesian, that's as far as I got. I looked up "Balai" in Indonesian and that didn't help much. (means "hall" or "office" apparently)

Anyway thanks for looking into that in more detail. Perhaps you should let all the sites that published articles saying it was certified already know.
    you re welcome...
    02-04-14 08:59 PM
    That's right, instead TH hid in his office for the last financial quarter and a half of his career with BlackBerry when it became clear that his strategy and execution wasn't stemming the flow of money out of the bank account while not enough came back in.

I noticed that, he basically became invisible.

I assume he was involved in all sorts of discussions about buyouts and financing and so on, but it was a bit offputting to say the least.
    02-04-14 11:24 PM
    I noticed that, he basically became invisible.

I assume he was involved in all sorts of discussions about buyouts and financing and so on, but it was a bit offputting to say the least.
    The Board wanted the "For Sale" sign put up.... don't think we heard from Thor after that. Don't remember him being involved in any negotiations.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-05-14 05:37 AM
    Is there even one "emerging market" where the BB10 lineup has sold better than the legacy devices it is replacing?

BlackBerries were popular because they had "cheap" data plans for email and BBM. BB10 has up to now done away with BIS Plans and the HUGE advantage that BlackBerry once had. People could buy a used BlackBerry fairly cheap and they could afford the lower monthly BIS BlackBerry Data Plan. But now BlackBerry is on an equal planing field when it comes to the monthly data plans....

1 billion smartphones shipped worldwide in 2013 | PCWorld

It is impossible for BlackBerry to compete on pricing alone in these markets, yet their devices don't have a key feature that separates them from the pack anymore. There is a difference in a company saying they will sell to consumers, and consumers buying their products. Pricing has been an issues, but it is not the core reason that people stayed away from the platform.
    I still don't get why they gave up on bis l. It was a real trump card they had. What are the benefits of cancelling bis??

Posted via CB10
    02-05-14 06:00 AM
    Yes but they also will not put any effort into the consumer market except in cheap phone markets for now either (like Indonesia) that the Jakarta is being built. They haven't put any real effort into the consumer market in the US at all since the Super Bowl ad which was worthless because you couldn't buy the phone in the US at the time, and the ad was horrible.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 and JeepBB like this.
    02-05-14 06:53 AM
    I still don't get why they gave up on bis l. It was a real trump card they had. What are the benefits of cancelling bis??

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...de-bis-786880/
    JustUgochukwu likes this.
    02-05-14 02:10 PM
    I'm not sure about these strategic proposals that say that Blackberry can focus on one thing and then decide when to do the other thing whenever they are good and ready. Since when does your competition wait around for you to decide when you are ready to go after their market. Blackberry is already behind on the consumer-facing technologies like maps, voice recognition, cloud functionality, and integration with other devices such as wearables and car user-interfaces.

I don't think that Blackberry will be able to decide that they want to go after the consumer in a couple of years any more than, say, Sony can right now.
    How true, well said.
    02-05-14 11:24 PM
    no there are still iOS and WP8...not sure about the latter prospect but they have lots of money, and other business to support WP8 product

every company of course can make a comeback and become top player...maybe if they make something different and change the market ( just like apple from PC maker move their focus to MP3 player, smartphone, tablet) but smartphone market, is very hard there are lot of giant competitors, race to the bottom phone price, high marketing cost, high R&D cost, and facing a company that give everything for free.
    Well, Google gives everything "for free" in exchange for your entire digital life and your privacy. Not exactly "free" if you ask me, not an option.

Google is SkyNet, or the Matrix or something even worse. You can see it coming the way things are going.
    Don't be evil, guys!

iPhone for me? Scr... ahem Q that! (posted from the latter)
    ray689 likes this.
    02-06-14 04:36 AM

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry OS 10 development team couldn't figure out how to implement support for BIS.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-06-14 07:03 AM
    The BlackBerry OS 10 development team couldn't figure out how to implement support for BIS.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    Nah BIS meant slow speeds too and an exclusive BlackBerry plan. They did not want that anymore. They wanted customers to not have to subscribe to a different plan just so they could use BlackBerry 10.
    02-06-14 08:12 AM
    Well, Google gives everything "for free" in exchange for your entire digital life and your privacy. Not exactly "free" if you ask me, not an option.

Google is SkyNet, or the Matrix or something even worse. You can see it coming the way things are going.
    Don't be evil, guys!
    Yet billions of people use their products worldwide without worry. You're in the minority.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-14 08:54 AM
129 ... 23456