I've been preaching this for some time now. And I will say this once again, if ever BlackBerry announced that they are leaving the consumer market, will be the day they also lose the Enterprise and its stock price "WILL" crash.
    The primary focus is the Enterprise for obvious reasons while maintaining the consumer market. He also stated a few times, it's an 18 month plan where if/when BBRY can gain a healthy Enterprise Market along with strong Emerging Market share; he will then have the arsenal to go full force after the North American Consumer Market, with strategic marketing and advertising. Because by then, (Hoping) the BBRY image will be a lot more positive.

He also needs to eventually, if not already doing so, work out a strategic deal with USA Carriers, because the people that work for them have absolutely no idea what a BB10 is, providing they are not iBot and Droid fanboys, in that respect, they are just giving people bias anti-BBRY advice.

Mr. Chen is a very smart individual, and has a unique style of doing business. He also has visionary qualities. BlackBerry is in very good hands.

What BlackBerry needs to do is put HIM on a commercial speaking about how awesome BB10 truly is, and show the world how and why BlackBerry 10 is the most secure Enterprise & Consumer Mobile OS in existence.
    02-03-14 10:50 AM
    Fully agree, the Q10 should have been released 1st at the very least, if not release both Q10 and Z10 to cater to both user types. But either way, there marketing and advertising was nothing but a complete disaster, yet they've spent so much $$$ on it. Go Figure.
    I'd like to add that BB10 is not the end-be-all of alternative OSes many on here make it out to be. There are really still a number of smartphone OS choices out there. If BB10 goes under, there's still Firefox and Ubuntu and Sailfish if you hate Microsoft. And there will be more alternative OSes to choose from in the future.
    Not sure if you actually used a BB10 device. By your opinion, you probably did not.
    There are 4 strong features that make BB10 the best mobile OS and the most innovative ever created. 1) Its Intelligent 2) it's the most Elegant OS 3) Most Secure and 4) The only "TRUE" Multi-Threading mobile OS down to its micro-kernel, to date.

Whether it is WP8, Android and/or iOS, they all lack the 4 points I made above, and require OS manipulation just to make it somewhat benefit from multi-core CPUs/GPUs. IMO I call these gimmicks.
    Last edited by nt300; 02-03-14 at 11:25 AM.
    ital1, ray689 and CyberMan2013 like this.
    02-03-14 10:57 AM
    I'm not sure about these strategic proposals that say that Blackberry can focus on one thing and then decide when to do the other thing whenever they are good and ready. Since when does your competition wait around for you to decide when you are ready to go after their market. Blackberry is already behind on the consumer-facing technologies like maps, voice recognition, cloud functionality, and integration with other devices such as wearables and car user-interfaces.

I don't think that Blackberry will be able to decide that they want to go after the consumer in a couple of years any more than, say, Sony can right now.
    milo53 likes this.
    02-03-14 10:59 AM
    every time BB release BB10 people in here always say it will be a game changer....from

for example lenovo S820 price around $200 it have 5.25 inch , 1080p screen, quad core processor, 8gb storage 8mp camera, gorilla glass and it is available NOW ...not another 3-4 months. when jakarta comes to the market expect cheaper, better specs phone from many android vendors overshadow BB jakarta launch
    can you give me a link of where you got the specs for lenovo S820?

Gsmarena shows the s820 to be a 720p display and also uses a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 processor which is a slow processor.
    02-03-14 11:00 AM
    I would rather buy straight from BlackBerry is I can get my updates through them.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and Traderhorn like this.
    02-03-14 11:02 AM

Gsmarena shows the s820 to be a 720p display and also uses a Quad-core 1.2 GHz Cortex-A7 processor which is a slow processor.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=tiHwESA8

Better yet, right from the Lenovo website. He can't tell you where he got those specs because as usual...another one of these people on CB who states things they make up as fact.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL, ital1, Omnitech and 1 others like this.
    02-03-14 11:06 AM
    What market are they in? Surely not corporate! Surely not consumer!

Wake up Chen!
    02-03-14 11:24 AM
    I'm not sure about these strategic proposals that say that Blackberry can focus on one thing and then decide when to do the other thing whenever they are good and ready. Since when does your competition wait around for you to decide when you are ready to go after their market. Blackberry is already behind on the consumer-facing technologies like maps, voice recognition, cloud functionality, and integration with other devices such as wearables and car user-interfaces.

I don't think that Blackberry will be able to decide that they want to go after the consumer in a couple of years any more than, say, Sony can right now.
    There are 1,000's upon 1,000's (Daily) 10's (100's) of Millions (Yearly) of people with expiring smart phone contracts. BBRY has an opportunity today and tomorrow to cater full force in the consumer market.
    At this point in time, there is absolutely no point in putting 100% focus on the US consumer market, all due to the fact the BBRY image has been dragged in the mud. Caused by 1) Previous Management Screw-ups and 2) the manipulative BBRY media bashing crowd that took negative opinion and made it out as facts, such as the nonsense doom/gloom.

The strategy right now is sound. Make Enterprise the priority, sell as many BB10 devices as possible, while going all out in Emerging Markets where there's steady growth potential. Regarding the USA market, they need to communicate with Carriers, because even the ground people working for those carriers have been giving customers bad advice. Fix this issue, and BBRY can start making gains in the USA market.

In the meantime, 0.5% market share in the USA tells me the previous management really messed up real bad, and now the new BBRY needs to re-build its brand image before wasting marketing $$$$ over there.
    ital1 likes this.
    02-03-14 11:39 AM
    "i'll be a thorn in your side till you die....
    I'll be a thorn in your side...for always!!!"
    02-03-14 12:02 PM
    I've been preaching this for some time now. And I will say this once again
    Is your ego really that sensitive?
    02-03-14 12:20 PM
    My question is this, if we are only able to purchase unlocked GSM handsets online, what are those of us on CDMA carriers going to do? We just have to move to AT&T or T-Mobile if we want to use a BlackBerry handset? That pretty much just sucks, because where I live, both Sprint and Verizon have the best signal strength.
    02-03-14 02:30 PM
    I'm certainly not a fan of Chen, considering his history but I genuinely believe he's a good fit as CEO of BlackBerry.
    One man cannot save a company, that takes a talented team with vision, I believe Chen is putting that team in place.

May the tide turn for BlackBerry.
    And that why I am buying into him because some of the moves he has made putting a team together and I believe he is a good fit...not to mention he doesn't hide in his office. he is speaking to his shareholders and team as we witnesses in his open letter over Christmas. I just want to see him keep talking and back it up by producing.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-14 02:33 PM
    And that why I am buying into him because some of the moves he has made putting a team together and I believe he is a good fit...not to mention he doesn't hide in his office. he is speaking to his shareholders and team as we witnesses in his open letter over Christmas. I just want to see him keep talking and back it up by producing.
    Yes, I like Chen too. I wish him well... and hope he's lucky!

When people like John Sculley are quoted as saying that "if anybody has a chance to turnaround BlackBerry, it's John Chen." you have to take him seriously.
    Carjackd likes this.
    02-03-14 02:54 PM
    When Chen says he's not leaving the consumer market - in many markets, it's like a guy saying he's not leaving his wife - six months after she's divorced him and moved to a different country with no forwarding address.
    JeepBB, Drew808 and aniym like this.
    02-03-14 03:16 PM
    I wonder what their strategy for consumer market is. So far it looks like making BB10 compatible with Android apps and refining it was the strategy all along.

What would happen if Google restricts the play store from non-Android platforms? (Which certainly is possible.)
    Last edited by propeller10; 02-03-14 at 03:44 PM.
    02-03-14 03:27 PM
    I wonder what their strategy for consumer market is. So far it looks like making BB10 compatible with Android apps and refining it was the strategy all along.
    I think that might be the strategy "now". I'm not sure it was the strategy all along.

I reckon they were hoping that Devs, by now, would be starting to create native BB10 Apps because BB could honestly say... "look, we're here. we've been here a year, we're here to stay, and we're gaining traction". However, it doesn't seem to be happening. At best, Devs are tweaking their Android Apps to work on BB10; at worst, the Devs are completely ignoring BB10.

As many others have posted, the Android-ish runtime isn't mature enough for prime time.

What would happen if Google restricts the play store to non-Android platforms? (Which certainly is possible.)
    Several posters have mentioned this possibility too. And I agree that it's a genuine possibility. Until and unless the BB10 Android runtime can run every App flawlessly, I wonder why Devs would take the risk of bad feedback by allowing their Apps to be run on BB10. If enough of the Devs complain to Google Play that their rep is being trashed because their Apps don't work properly on the BB10 Android-ish runtime... I think Google will take action to stop it in order to preserve the reputation of their store and their Devs..
    propeller10 likes this.
    02-03-14 03:43 PM

What would happen if Google restricts the play store to non-Android platforms? (Which certainly is possible.)
    As it stands the strategy appears to be sell more devices where device are selling and hope things get better in the markets where devices aren't selling. As for Android.... the current story that they want to make it easier on Android Developers, rings a little hollow as supposedly (and based on how quickly most of us can do it using either online or off line tools) the difficulty isn't the reason that developers are staying away. And lets be honest, it isn't the one guy developers that we are missing, it is the big companies that have teams working on their Apps.

The only way Android saves BlackBerry is if we are going to get access to a full Android App store. I agree that if that isn't in the cards, then most likely our current developer ability to download and run APK's is going to be short lived. And we will all go back to using developer keys, converting and Sideloading - a huge PAIN! But it will mean the end to any consumer business if the Android Player gets locked down for legal reasons.
    JeepBB, propeller10 and Drew808 like this.
    02-03-14 03:43 PM
    I think that might be the strategy "now". I'm not sure it was the strategy all along.

I reckon they were hoping that Devs, by now, would be starting to create native BB10 Apps because BB could honestly say... "look, we're here. we've been here a year, we're here to stay, and we're gaining traction". However, it doesn't seem to be happening. At best, Devs are tweaking their Android Apps to work on BB10; at worst, the Devs are completely ignoring BB10.

As many others have posted, the Android-ish runtime isn't mature enough for prime time.

Several posters have mentioned this possibility too. And I agree that it's a genuine possibility. Until and unless the BB10 Android runtime can run every App flawlessly, I wonder why Devs would take the risk of bad feedback by allowing their Apps to be run on BB10. If enough of the Devs complain to Google Play that their rep is being trashed because their Apps don't work properly on the BB10 Android-ish runtime... I think Google will take action to stop it in order to preserve the reputation of their store and their Devs..
    Proprietary apps like google play store could potentially be blocked that I agree but not the apps themselves as they're being developed on an open source platform. Another thing that google could end up doing is require developers to add a string of code on header that would block or cause crashes when converted and ran on other cross-platform environments. Such as Bluestacks, Androidx86 and BB10. Both Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo have sport this with their proprietary shell Windows only emulators.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-14 04:07 PM

made mistake, i mean Lenovo S920...yup it just have 720p screen...my bad

maybe the processor is slower...but can BB put a $200 phone with same or better specs than Lenovo S920 ? lenovo s920 already available today...while BB Jakarta still 3-4 months away...in that time most android vendor will launch a a phone with better hardware specs than S920 with $150 - $200 price range
    02-03-14 06:46 PM

TH also dont hide in his office before BB10 1st quarter....he is very active promote and talking about BB10..
    02-03-14 06:49 PM
    There are 1,000's upon 1,000's (Daily) 10's (100's) of Millions (Yearly) of people with expiring smart phone contracts. BBRY has an opportunity today and tomorrow to cater full force in the consumer market.
    At this point in time, there is absolutely no point in putting 100% focus on the US consumer market, all due to the fact the BBRY image has been dragged in the mud. Caused by 1) Previous Management Screw-ups and 2) the manipulative BBRY media bashing crowd that took negative opinion and made it out as facts, such as the nonsense doom/gloom.

The strategy right now is sound. Make Enterprise the priority, sell as many BB10 devices as possible, while going all out in Emerging Markets where there's steady growth potential. Regarding the USA market, they need to communicate with Carriers, because even the ground people working for those carriers have been giving customers bad advice. Fix this issue, and BBRY can start making gains in the USA market.

In the meantime, 0.5% market share in the USA tells me the previous management really messed up real bad, and now the new BBRY needs to re-build its brand image before wasting marketing $$$$ over there.
    which market BB has experience growth or maybe small growth ? their strong market already taken over by Android...
    02-03-14 06:51 PM

I'd buy into to him if he showed true commitment to BlackBerry and moved to Waterloo. The fact he commutes via business jet speaks volumes.

Heck, I'd be happy if he came out and said he conducted business over BBM Video...
    02-03-14 08:08 PM
    I am not sure if John Chen added value. He ripped off general strategies. Prem Watsa likes him. So he can cash in the pay cheque
    02-03-14 08:50 PM
    Heck, I'd be happy if he came out and said he conducted business over BBM Video...
    Lol...that would seal the deal.

Pete The Penguin likes this.
    02-03-14 09:06 PM
    BlackBerries were popular because they had "cheap" data plans for email and BBM. BB10 has up to now done away with BIS Plans and the HUGE advantage that BlackBerry once had.

That price advantage is probably not what you think it is. My understanding is that in emerging markets, many carriers have now rolled-out service plans for ie Android devices that are very close if not identical in pricing to "BIS plans".

And carriers are no longer as willing to provide "unlimited" data service in an era where media consumption and the sizes of those files are exploding.

Especially not for platforms which amount to minor bit-players in the marketplace, which is what Blackberry is today. BlackBerry's value story cannot rely these days on pushing carriers to deploy special infrastructure solely for the usage of Blackberry devices. In that sense I think they made the correct choice with BB10.

Car buyers look for brand, features, price and reputation and phone buyers look for brand, features, price and reputation.

Of course. Please tell me which complex consumer products are NOT marketed and bought on the basis of those four things?
    02-03-14 09:21 PM
129 12345 ...